Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

drat Dirty Ape posted:

You're all jelly. Smart's a dick. Ex-employees with axes to grind. Doing something nobody has done before. Author of article is bad and acting as mouthpiece for smart (gamergate stuff as proof). Why are you being so mean when we are just trying to make a game. Some more stuff I forgot.

also this quote.

Any bets on how long until Smart threatens to sue for libel?

Sometime today. Unless :woof: reminds him that he's a public figure and basically incapable of winning a libel case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

drat Dirty Ape posted:

You're all jelly. Smart's a dick. Ex-employees with axes to grind. Doing something nobody has done before. Author of article is bad and acting as mouthpiece for smart (gamergate stuff as proof). Why are you being so mean when we are just trying to make a game. Some more stuff I forgot.

also this quote.

It's only libel if it's false, so I think the statement of DS being a blowhard bully bad dev is in the clear.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Source your quotes!

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I hate this thread. I used to browse other threads, but so much good poo poo happens here that I look at the clock and suddenly I've wasted half the work day and I've clicked like 3 things.

Lochness_Hamster
Sep 27, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

also this quote.

Legal's already sniffing around

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Adventure Pigeon posted:

"Hmmm... how do I calm the agitated masses and restore dignity to my game in this time of trouble"

*begins to type out the word 'Gamergate'*

Not emptyquoting

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The OP has been updated with far more relevant information

You are a true humanitarian, Beer. Let none say otherwise.

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

I applaud your attempt at neutrality (seriously). But, what would you accept as proof, if multiple matching independent statements from more than 5 people (presumably interviewed separately, by email) aren't enough? It is a fact that they buried any mention of her and Chris being married. It's also a fact that they hosted unrelated theater readings at their offices specifically for her. It's a fact that something happened the day after Derek Smart leaked the Jennison letter, and four or five people were immediately fired or quit- and the person leaking the info to DS also added the same kind of description as was seen in the article, of her shouting profanities and accusing people of being traitors.

Is she going to have to come to your house and poo poo on your porch? Like, what is the standard of evidence you will accept?

honestly the gaming press/industry has such a poor history with women, at this point I won't accept anything on word alone from those sources. It would have to come from an impartial party

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Irrational Man posted:

this was probably more of an innocent mistake whereby she just wanted to look smart and copied what she saw one time on the history channel, without realizing the difference. If it even happened at all. I mean really, "she's a racist" is the most obvious attempt to deflect culpability on the part of the accuser because it ostensibly suggests they're concerned with these sorts of issues and thus cannot be sexist. When in fact, they're probably just sexist. I mean what's harder to believe. Gamers are misogynist or Sandi sits at home practicing the nazi anthem? The fact that people would prefer to believe the latter just proves how far feminism has to go.

Please source your quotes

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Irrational Man posted:

I won't accept anything on word alone from those sources. It would have to come from an impartial party

Thank you for letting us know.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kimsemus posted:

I hate this thread. I used to browse other threads, but so much good poo poo happens here that I look at the clock and suddenly I've wasted half the work day and I've clicked like 3 things.

Was at least one of those things work-related? If so, your work efficiency is probably only slightly above average. :D

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Irrational Man posted:

honestly the gaming press/industry has such a poor history with women, at this point I won't accept anything on word alone from those sources. It would have to come from an impartial party

:frogout:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Tippis posted:

Was at least one of those things work-related? If so, your work efficiency is probably only slightly above average. :D

One was clicking on the Escapist article, one was clicking on the CIG response, one was F5ing this thread a lot.

Aaaaaaaaand I just got a text wondering why I skipped an employee lunch outing.

... I was not even aware up until now it was past noon.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

quote:

He has publically doxed me, sharing the address of my home in LA, pictures of my wife and five year old daughter. He constantly attacks Sandi Gardiner, accusing her of having no qualifications, or experience, that she had other people do her work for her and only has the Marketing position because she is my wife.

Holy poo poo. He loving admitted it. He finally loving admitted that Sandi Gardiner is indeed his wife.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Irrational Man posted:

The gaming press that jointly shat all over gamergaters with a coordinated press campaign and that championed the cause against internet harrassment of women (granted, with their own brand of harassment)? Yeah, sure thing champ.

Anyway, last I reply to you cause I seriously don't want to contribute even more to this thread being derailed into the gamergate/SJW crap.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 1, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kimsemus posted:

One was clicking on the Escapist article, one was clicking on the CIG response, one was F5ing this thread a lot.

Aaaaaaaaand I just got a text wondering why I skipped an employee lunch outing.

... I was not even aware up until now it was past noon.

You should just tell them “check this out — it's the most hilarious corporate meltdown ever” and really tank the productivity for the day. That way, it won't look as bad in comparison.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

gently caress, everyone involved in this whole thing is just terrible. Between the devs, their fans, their detractors, the journalists pursuing this and all of us watching from the sidelines there is not a single decent human being.
I dunno, dude. My mom thinks I'm pretty cool.

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004
People are just jealous of croberts cause Sandi is beautiful :colbert:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Tippis posted:

You should just tell them “check this out — it's the most hilarious corporate meltdown ever” and really tank the productivity for the day. That way, it won't look as bad in comparison.

Pointing out the incompetence of CIG should really put into perspective my own. I think I'm going to ask for a raise. :toot:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Irrational Man posted:

Who counts as impartial, though? Who is so far beyond reproach that they could tell you Sandi is an awful person, and you would believe that they meant it? I note that you aren't defending Roberts against the accusations made in the article- are they more credible to you? Doesn't that seem like a strange position to hold, where allegations for one gender require a higher standard of evidence than the other?

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Holy poo poo. He loving admitted it. He finally loving admitted that Sandi Gardiner is indeed his wife.

I've checked this thread like 4 times before today.....what's the story on why this is a thing?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

CrazyLoon posted:

The gaming press that jointly shat all over gamergaters with a coordinated press campaign and that championed the cause against internet harrassment of women? Yeah, sure thing champ.

No it's okay, they went before the UN, only women are harassed online and they are harassed only because they are women.

Everyone knows this.

MrDorf posted:

I've checked this thread like 4 times before today.....what's the story on why this is a thing?

It's been a weird quasi secret that Croberts has never outright admitted Sandi was his wife, or has otherwise severely downplayed it. Early on he was fine with it, but in like 2013-2014 for some reason it was buried and otherwise denied. Now (like as of today) he seems to be admitting it openly, likely because even Croberts realize that the farce of pretending she isn't is far more damaging than accusations of nepotism because she is.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 1, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

MrDorf posted:

I believe they initially held a position of ambiguity when it came to her being his wife, or possibly even not allow discussion of it.

Basically some people questioned how she got the job, since she has no experience or qualifications, is she his wife or something, no she can't be because his wife's name is different, etc.

It's something Smart mentioned as well, and was still ignored by Croberts and Co.

I could be wrong though.

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

Who counts as impartial, though? Who is so far beyond reproach that they could tell you Sandi is an awful person, and you would believe that they meant it? I note that you aren't defending Roberts against the accusations made in the article- are they more credible to you? Doesn't that seem like a strange position to hold, where allegations for one gender require a higher standard of evidence than the other?

Former employees are always temping to listen to because presumably they have the "inside-track" but really most former employees I've met are just shitbags mumbling about how they got screwed over. Does it mean they can't be right? No. But they're incredibly suspect as the only link to the truth. I mean if unanonymous reports from people higher up on the food chain who weren't fired came out corroborating this kind of thing I would accept that.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Kimsemus posted:

No it's okay, they went before the UN, only women are harassed online and they are harassed only because they are women.

Everyone knows this.

Granted, I was horrible and edited my response so you prolly just missed it...

CrazyLoon posted:

I seriously don't want to contribute even more to this thread being derailed into the gamergate/SJW crap.

This thread is actually good now. Please let's try to keep it this way and not have it devolve into this territory, because of Christ Roberts. :(

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Before this game dies you guys should let Kimsemus into your space club.

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004

Kimsemus posted:

Everyone knows this.

Look if your only defense is an unironic "lol I'm worse than the UN" like its a good thing when it comes to acknowledging these things, you have some introspection to do

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
This game is the best game now. They just have to not release anything, and it'll stay the best game. Jesus H. Christ :allears:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Keep the faith citizen. He invokes the name of SMART like 10x more than is needed to summon him and also brings Gamer Gate into the discussion. Then he provides the following solid refutation of the provable claims within:

lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Where's octopode I need his quote.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Irrational Man posted:

Former employees are always temping to listen to because presumably they have the "inside-track" but really most former employees I've met are just shitbags mumbling about how they got screwed over. Does it mean they can't be right? No. But they're incredibly suspect as the only link to the truth. I mean if unanonymous reports from people higher up on the food chain who weren't fired came out corroborating this kind of thing I would accept that.

Maybe that's because you just talk to shitbags? Most of the people who just left jobs that I talk to can't stop talking about how great their new job is...

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Truga posted:

Where's octopode I need his quote.

This...SO BAD.

But if he has to take care of his wife, I'll understand just...awww, such a missed opportunity to not have him post here now. :(

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004

Roflan posted:

Maybe that's because you just talk to shitbags? Most of the people who just left jobs that I talk to can't stop talking about how great their new job is...

Yeah until the cycle repeats itself

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Keep the faith citizen. He invokes the name of SMART like 10x more than is needed to summon him and also brings Gamer Gate into the discussion. Then he provides the following solid refutation of the provable claims within:

I'm sorry that reality doesn't fall neatly into the personal narrative you've constructed where all people who choose to spend money on a game of their choosing suffer from some mental disorder that you get to play the hero and save them from.

The reality is that people see something in the game that excites them, and they are willing to spend money because of that.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Irrational Man posted:

Look if your only defense is an unironic "lol I'm worse than the UN" like its a good thing when it comes to acknowledging these things, you have some introspection to do

Since I'm not trying to derail an otherwise hilarious thread -- The straw man I'm trying to burn is that Sandi is being criticized for being Croberts wife or being a woman, so that MUST automatically invalidate the notion that she can be a lovely manager and a lovely employee based on her own merits agnostic of gender.

It's the trope that people say "Well, people are only hard on her because she's a woman," instead of them being hard on her because she's actually terrible. But somehow the burden of proof for people to believe statements of her poor conduct is automatically elevated because she's not male and it MUST be gender bias.

Seems kind of stupid to me when people are raising legitimate opinions.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Irrational Man posted:

I agree with you, former employees are a very weak evidence if that was all it was. But their assertions have been backed up over and over again- there's photo evidence that she used the office for her theater project. There's now confirmation from Chris himself that they are married, which (indirectly) confirms that they've been trying to suppress it all this time. There's evidence that multiple people literally walked out on the 25th. DS said she'd had a screaming fit. The next day she was on a livestream and her voice was wrecked, they claimed it was from a cold. Then on top of all of that you've got people making the claim that she is an HR disaster.

One data point is circumstantial. Dozens of data points, all pointing in the same direction? I'm not saying "You're a fool if you don't believe it." It's certainly not direct proof in the form of a voice recording or something. But I'd be willing to place 80% probability on her being an awful human being, at least. More than enough for forum mockery purposes.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
My question relates to the guy who refused to stop spending even after his wife did an intervention and subsequently left him. Is he getting back with her now?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I wish more CEOs would respond to articles by making personal attacks on the reporter

it';s refreshing

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Soothing Vapors posted:

I wish more CEOs would respond to articles by making personal attacks on the reporter

it';s refreshing

It's like a peek inside their mind.

I'm sure every other CEO does the same thing, but they keep it professional and don't air it in public.

Croberts breaks all the rules, he's such a bad boy. :allears:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Irrational Man posted:

Anyone else feel bad for Sandi?

As it is, no one appreciates her sacrifice anyway and just shits on her for answering emails or whatever. Of course, in this environment, just being a normal girl is going to make you a huge target. I hope she's getting a lot of money because honestly she's probably the hardest working person of the bunch.
Username checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I am trying to remember something I read, it was good comedy but chances are it was on this forum anyway.

In it a man is talking conversationally like "get a load of this poo poo I pulled" and as he goes on he talks more about selling imaginary spaceships for cash and is obviously Chris Roberts. He isn't even being super-malicious in tone, he was more like "i can't believe it actually worked and now I am rich ha ha"

Anyone know what I am talking about, seen this? It is worth digging up because it is extremely loving relevant.

• Locked thread