Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Someone was talking about it in another thread somewhere, they figured the power armor would be more situational. You wear the normal types for just wandering around, you pull out the power armor for assaulting raider bases and other major threats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Moridin920 posted:

I will be extremely disappointed if the power armor is some super situational use only or 'on rails' only thing.

I'm pretty sure Bethesda won't do that. Finding a shithouse power armor and finding upgrades for it throughout the game slash improving it with a skill/perk does seem like something they would do, though. I'm fine with that.

What they should do instead is make not every situation optimally solved through brute force violence if they are worried about people using power armor nonstop. Some sort of fuel that can be harvested/farmed at your settlement would be fine, too, as long as it isn't some finite resource that allows for only 30 minutes of power armor use per game total or something dumb like that.

Yeah I'd be loving pissed if they made this extremely sick power armour really limited in use because that would be a complete waste. First thing I'm doing is modding out whatever dumbass resource cost they put in so I can stomp around in my hell fucker death man suit all day.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

For my money, the ideal awesome power armor system would be free-form in use but restrained by three interlocking systems:
a.) It's slow and a little awkward to use in between combat encounters (doesn't even have to be that much, just enough that stomping along to the next vaguely threatening ruin I might think, "gently caress this, I'm just gonna go in regular gear")
b.) Damage to the suit that takes a significant amount of resources to repair, such that using it constantly requires some specialized source of income or behavior to keep it up.
c.) A fuel system that requires you to collect the fuel (finding it, buying it from merchants, setting up a refinery in your town, etc) and limits continuous sortie length (if you carry a bunch extra with you then you can keep going but you'll have to periodically hop out and change the batteries, which could also necessitate some tense combat moments and upgrade paths for the suit).

How severe each was can vary considerably. Mostly I just want enough annoyance to it that a valid response is to just not use it except in special situations and get by with regular gear.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Heh heh, if I were in charge of silly Fallout quest stories...

I'd have one be the quest for the first color television screen. Punchline: All broadcasts are still in black and white so it's no good.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

LornMarkus posted:

For my money, the ideal awesome power armor system would be free-form in use but restrained by three interlocking systems:
a.) It's slow and a little awkward to use in between combat encounters (doesn't even have to be that much, just enough that stomping along to the next vaguely threatening ruin I might think, "gently caress this, I'm just gonna go in regular gear")
b.) Damage to the suit that takes a significant amount of resources to repair, such that using it constantly requires some specialized source of income or behavior to keep it up.
c.) A fuel system that requires you to collect the fuel (finding it, buying it from merchants, setting up a refinery in your town, etc) and limits continuous sortie length (if you carry a bunch extra with you then you can keep going but you'll have to periodically hop out and change the batteries, which could also necessitate some tense combat moments and upgrade paths for the suit).

How severe each was can vary considerably. Mostly I just want enough annoyance to it that a valid response is to just not use it except in special situations and get by with regular gear.

A while back someone floated the idea that the particular model we have seen is the only one that operates like that and maybe the standard t-45d and t-51 variants are still around.

More of a light armor guy myself anyway, so I won't be too upset either way. Only thing that would really piss me off is that you can only use it during the main quest or something.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

sector_corrector posted:

Wait, this video features a bunch of ugly, dumpy primitives sitting in a dark, depressing dive. I thought this game was set in an alternate future, and not present day Boston?

It is! Nobody is wearing a cap or jersey, no one is complaining about the traffic, and the inhabitants seem considerably happier.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Meridian posted:

A while back someone floated the idea that the particular model we have seen is the only one that operates like that and maybe the standard t-45d and t-51 variants are still around.

More of a light armor guy myself anyway, so I won't be too upset either way. Only thing that would really piss me off is that you can only use it during the main quest or something.

The customization video shows him switching pieces of power armor out on it. I remember seeing the old-school enclave helmet, and reading 41d, as well as others.

Though there was also a Raider leader in what looked like non-powered power armor, or maybe he just was missing a helmet.

Personally I like that it's there. Bethesda has always had a problem where non-combat focused characters get boned in their main stories because they like setting up large/"epic" battles. Companions helped a little bit, but their so variable in competence. So having a combat suit for that is great.

Speaking of companions, I'm pumped you'll get access to a robot buddy so early in Codsworth. Being evil is more fun if you have a cheery robot buddy with you.

I just wish there was some female representation, I want to hear her VA.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I think they stated that the new kind of power armor is a different model, so the old ones should presumably be in existence still.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Nasgate posted:

I just wish there was some female representation, I want to hear her VA.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Even without some kind of crazy resource management I imagine the big disincentive with power armor will be inability to sneak, and considering sneaky sniper crit-guy is the most overpowered playstyle in Bethesda's last two games by an extremely wide margin I can't see it being any different this time.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

Even without some kind of crazy resource management I imagine the big disincentive with power armor will be inability to sneak, and considering sneaky sniper crit-guy is the most overpowered playstyle in Bethesda's last two games by an extremely wide margin I can't see it being any different this time.

Yeah, but I'd really like to imagine they'll tear into that too cause it definitely needs an overhaul.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Valatar posted:

There are power armor upgrade mods for NV that involve alternate vision modes in the helmet, power sources, upgrades, and a general increase in tankiness. They do the best they can with the scripting system, but they're just hacky addons, they don't make the suit into a world object that you walk up to and Tony Stark into like the FO4 video showed.

Edit: Here is the mod I was thinking of.

I wasn't holding my breath, but thanks!

Ninja edit: I have that mod! :D

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Lore-wise some of the later models of power armor are supposed to have microfusion reactors on board; those shouldn't require charging unless they're tossing that lore out the window. It's not the end of the world for me if they do, I'm okay with having to refuel the power armor so long as it doesn't have a stupidly short runtime on a charge, though I'd rather be able to eventually upgrade it to a self-powered model. But yeah, there should be no possibility of sneaking even a little when stomping around in power armor, it's a more than fair drawback for it. I'd say that the AI should either gang up on you or haul rear end away when they see you coming, but we all know that Bethesda AI is far too retarded to have a nuanced reaction like that.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Valatar posted:

Lore-wise some of the later models of power armor are supposed to have microfusion reactors on board; those shouldn't require charging unless they're tossing that lore out the window. It's not the end of the world for me if they do, I'm okay with having to refuel the power armor so long as it doesn't have a stupidly short runtime on a charge, though I'd rather be able to eventually upgrade it to a self-powered model. But yeah, there should be no possibility of sneaking even a little when stomping around in power armor, it's a more than fair drawback for it. I'd say that the AI should either gang up on you or haul rear end away when they see you coming, but we all know that Bethesda AI is far too retarded to have a nuanced reaction like that.

I'd really like to see Power Armor live up to its role as a death machine by giving it lockdown clamps and letting it wield small artillery pieces designed for vehicle mounting

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Just make sure some normal enemies have some sort of advantage against a person in power armor and make power armor basically required to fight other dudes in power armor and you don't have to put some sort of dumb loving time limit on it's use there you go Bethesda I did your game design for you pay me.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Why do that when they know modders will do it for free :smuggo:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

frajaq posted:

Why do that when they know modders will do it for free :smuggo:

modders are less likely to properly balance the gameplay elements than they are to introduce power armor with huge tits that can gently caress other power armor tho

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

NecroMonster posted:

modders are less likely to properly balance the gameplay elements than they are to introduce power armor with huge tits that can gently caress other power armor tho

I don't understand this post started off against modders and then took a hard turn for pro-modding

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Jonesy posted:

I don't understand this post started off against modders and then took a hard turn for pro-modding

CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Magmarashi posted:

I'd really like to see Power Armor live up to its role as a death machine by giving it lockdown clamps and letting it wield small artillery pieces designed for vehicle mounting

I know it's not a cannon, but in the gameplay vids, it takes a mounted machine-gun off a crashed vertabird and goes to town on raiders.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

LornMarkus posted:

Yeah, but I'd really like to imagine they'll tear into that too cause it definitely needs an overhaul.

I wouldn't hold your breath, considering the last time they streamlined their system (Skyrim) it just made sneaking around that much more overpowered. If anything they need to make power armor actually useful to even be comparable since it was garbage in F3/NV.

Having said that, I haven't kept up on the new perk system so maybe headshotting everything from a hundred yards away is no longer as viable when you can't just boost sneak/guns to ridiculous heights early on.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
If Jx Fallout can't get a suit that doubles sneak and sings the sneaky song I'm going to be dissatisfied.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
As annoying as the Stealth Suit MK 2 could get after you've heard all of her lines 100 times, I did like doing challenges to unlock upgrades for it. Hopefully with a slightly better push towards voice acting, maybe The Lone Survivor can actually talk back to their robot suit's blurts every once in a while. Or at least, there could be Old World Blues like challenges within The Institute to unlock crafting ideas.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Wolfsheim posted:

I wouldn't hold your breath, considering the last time they streamlined their system (Skyrim) it just made sneaking around that much more overpowered. If anything they need to make power armor actually useful to even be comparable since it was garbage in F3/NV.

Having said that, I haven't kept up on the new perk system so maybe headshotting everything from a hundred yards away is no longer as viable when you can't just boost sneak/guns to ridiculous heights early on.
As long as sneak headshots still do 4x damage (6x in Elder Scrolls and you don't even have to hit the head there) and change they won't ever not be overpowered and that's something Bethesda insists on putting in forever

Also I'm pretty sure they're gonna try the faction thing again with the Brotherhood and Institute, the player in the demos is just hostile to them due to siding with the Institute or something.

Honestly though I think that conflict would be more interesting if it were the East Coast BOS vs the Institute, because the reasons for the conflict will be at a bare minimum more interesting than "who gets all the cool toys"

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 1, 2015

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't think sneaking is overpowered, being able to 1-shot people from stealth is a necessary component of sneaking being a viable playstyle.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Alchenar posted:

I don't think sneaking is overpowered, being able to 1-shot people from stealth is a necessary component of sneaking being a viable playstyle.
Agreed, but it should have a limit so that things like this don't happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcTdbkF-Jys

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Somewhat yes, but one of the charms of Bethesda's games has always been the fact that it's possible to have a lategame character so powerful it breaks the system.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

No. If a thing has hp you should be able to one shot it. Those Skyrim videos of someone sneaking up on a dragon and stabbing it to death are the best thing. Dealing 32x damage twice is amazingly fun. If you don't want Jx Fallout to be one of the greatest assassins that has ever lived, you can roleplay xer to be terrible. I want destructible terrain that takes extra damage if I sneak up on it before kool-aid manning my way into some jamokes refurbished gas station.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
The Charisma S.P.E.C.I.A.L. spotlight video came out the other day, did we talk about this one yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X95lZ56ddj4

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Some steps against the absurd power of sneak attack shotguns were taken in the transition from Fallout 3 to New Vegas. The reason shotguns are so powerful as sneak attack weapons is because you automatically get something like double the critical hit damage applied when you sneak attack. This is applied once for weapons that fire a single projectile or in VATS, but when you free aim something with multiple projectiles, you get the full sneak attack damage per pellet. And the weapon used there, The Terrible Shotgun, has 9 pellets, each of which is working with 40 critical damage, so that's 360 even before you start dealing with sneak attack multipliers.

The way New Vegas fixed this was drastically cutting down on the critical damage of shotguns, so blasting someone with one while hidden still hurts, but it's no longer an instagib.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is absurdly hard to balance sneaking to be fair.

If it is too weak then it's worthless because it only has to screw up once to ruin your day. If it's too strong then it's effectively invincibility. You really need more complex sneaking mechanics than Fallout is likely to have to make it 'balanced.'

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
When they announced in Oblivion that they were getting a guy from the Thief team to handle the stealth system I remember being so excited. Hahaha.. ahhh... ah.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

When they announced in Oblivion that they were getting a guy from the Thief team to handle the stealth system I remember being so excited. Hahaha.. ahhh... ah.

What they didn't tell us is that it was the intern who did nothing but get their coffee

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Playing armchair game designer is useless, but I think one way to balance sneak would be to have a massive debuff applied to for a second or two after you're discovered, and set up enemy AI to punish you when you're in that state. That would mean that you better be good at sneaking if you're going to try it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I liked that in NV, almost all the weapons that were silenced were low damage, so you needed to land a sneak headshot for them to be worthwhile.

Alternatively, sneak attack landmines also require sneak dedication and are the most satisfying thing.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Alchenar posted:

Somewhat yes, but one of the charms of Bethesda's games has always been the fact that it's possible to have a lategame character so powerful it breaks the system.
You could do that with a stealth boy and 10 skill in (small) guns though, which isn't exactly a hard requirement.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

sector_corrector posted:

Playing armchair game designer is useless, but I think one way to balance sneak would be to have a massive debuff applied to for a second or two after you're discovered, and set up enemy AI to punish you when you're in that state. That would mean that you better be good at sneaking if you're going to try it.

That basically means most players will never bother with stealth.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

After MGS5, I'm not too keen on playing stealth when I can't distract enemies with a knock or decoy. Using stealth to control my environment is more satisfying than waiting for my environment to give me an opportunity to act. Does that make sense? I don't think that makes sense... oh.....

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

One of the weird design flaws of stealth in Bethesda games is the gulf in character skill at the start of your character's life. Late game you can ignore encounters outright but early on you're not sneaking so much as you are trying to sneak and failing. At least in fallout you don't have to fail with the intention of grinding up your skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Why do you have to punish some players for what is an enjoyable playstyle? This is reinventing the wheel when there are even old games like Thief (1998 and onward) that were able to offer some clever solutions, like different noise levels of floors (metal, carpet, wood) or cones of detection (stay out of the line of sight) or a detection gem or other metric to measure detection levels.

Implementing completely artificial penalties for stealth is a poo poo idea and poo poo design. Copy and steal from the large number of existing good ideas if you can't invent your own.

Stealth play should be satisfying as an alternative to commando style slow walking armored murder.

And of course stealth sucked in New Vegas and Fallout 3, because you were only going to attract perhaps four or five enemies max if you were spotted. Hardly a dramatic struggle when you get caught.

• Locked thread