Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Civil War the comic is loving terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Civil War the comic is loving terrible

I really only see this opinion here.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

zoux posted:

What the...

It's not really important to the story, but it took place during a time where Matt was trying to convince people he wasn't Daredevil so asked Danny to stand in for him, among others. Danny kept up the role for a bit, including during Civil War.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

What the...

Daredevil was in jail and its an important part of Brubaker's run

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That was really great in that it was foreshadowed in Deadpool like 4-5 months before the reveal. Even before anyone even though DD was really DD.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Daredevil was in jail and its an important part of Brubaker's run

Ok well I've read both runs but I guess I didn't realize they ran alongside one another since I read them in trade.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I don't think you really missed anything considering Civil War was terrible.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

zoux posted:

I really only see this opinion here.

Civil War was a decent idea that just went way, way, way off track. Lots of just totally idiotic poo poo and ham handed attempts by Marvel to weight the scales of public opinion which just utterly failed. And if I remember correctly, Marvel just didn't understand why people weren't on the pro registration, murder cyber-clone creating, super villain empowering, poorly justified, hero murdering, insanity inducing prison, side.

Like, maybe don't start out by having the side you think people should be backing attack Captain America for not following the law before the law is even passed. Also maybe come up with some reasonable flaws for Cap's side other than the Punisher isn't against them and Captain America doesn't watch NASCAR or use Myspace.

Please tell me that at some point they went back and showed that the horrible mom pushing Tony to do all that bullshit turned out to be a Skrull or some poo poo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Irish Joe posted:

Tall Slut, No Panties is finally a reality.

It's going to be very hard for me not to treat this as the further adventures of Chloe.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

HIJK posted:

Daredevil never made it big until, like, now. Respected but not well known.

Big enough that Fox made it their next big comic movie after Spider-Man as unfortunate as that turned out. I mean back when I was kid and only collected X-Men books from Marvel I knew who Daredevil was and couldn't have told you anything about an Ant-Man or a Thor.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think Daredevil was tapped for a movie the first time because he was "street level" and a little easier to do, since this was near the start of the big superhero wave and we hadn't gotten anything like Thor yet.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
If Thanos is doing the whole Infinity Gauntlet thing then isn't he probably going to be killing half the universe somewhere in the first 30 minutes of the first Infinity War film? So they could just show the lower level heroes briefly before they disappear or as heads on Nick Furys big computer screen of heroes who've gone missing or something. Then obviously they undo it all at the end of the second film.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Gyges posted:

Like, maybe don't start out by having the side you think people should be backing attack Captain America for not following the law before the law is even passed. Also maybe come up with some reasonable flaws for Cap's side other than the Punisher isn't against them and Captain America doesn't watch NASCAR or use Myspace.

The problem is that the big obvious flaw of "paramilitaries are at BEST the least bad thing in a bad situation, and usually just straight up bad" kind of spits in the face of the whole superhero genre.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

reignonyourparade posted:

The problem is that the big obvious flaw of "paramilitaries are at BEST the least bad thing in a bad situation, and usually just straight up bad" kind of spits in the face of the whole superhero genre.

It's still an interesting premise that could be mined for storylines and introspection. Instead we got DON'T YOU WATCH NASCAR STEEEEEEEEVE?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't remember the story very well except that I went in thinking "Yeah, I can see the argument that a bunch of super powered kids loving up and killing people or The Punisher running around is at least SOME argument for registering costumed vigilantes since its always been a super hero storytelling element that what they're doing is basically illegal" and then I left the story thinking "Iron Man's being a real loving douchebag."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah it's definitely something I'd like to see the MCU tackle at some point, we've gotten plenty of "bad people can get into government and get the government to do terrible things. Also good people can get the government to do terrible things because they think it'll be worth it," it would be nice to see a "but the alternative has it's downsides too it's something we actually need to think about not just blindly accept one way or the other."

But instead we've gotten a TV show where ignoring moral differences we've got one Paramilitary Successor to a Government Organization using secret resources hidden from the people supposed to oversee it fighting another Paramilitary Successor to that Same Government Organization using secret resources hidden from the people supposed to oversee it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also a TV show where a lawyer who cares more about justice than money thinks the right thing to do is beat people to within an inch of their lives because he is mad.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

STAC Goat posted:

I don't remember the story very well except that I went in thinking "Yeah, I can see the argument that a bunch of super powered kids loving up and killing people or The Punisher running around is at least SOME argument for registering costumed vigilantes since its always been a super hero storytelling element that what they're doing is basically illegal" and then I left the story thinking "Iron Man's being a real loving douchebag."

It's a story ostensibly about a moral and philosophical conflict between two sides, yet it has no interest in paying more than lip service to the moral or philosophical ramifications of either side's position. It's just "anti-reg good, pro-reg bad" for the first six and a half issues, then (inexplicably) vice versa for the ending.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Yeah it's definitely something I'd like to see the MCU tackle at some point, we've gotten plenty of "bad people can get into government and get the government to do terrible things. Also good people can get the government to do terrible things because they think it'll be worth it," it would be nice to see a "but the alternative has it's downsides too it's something we actually need to think about not just blindly accept one way or the other."

But instead we've gotten a TV show where ignoring moral differences we've got one Paramilitary Successor to a Government Organization using secret resources hidden from the people supposed to oversee it fighting another Paramilitary Successor to that Same Government Organization using secret resources hidden from the people supposed to oversee it.

I stopped watching Agents after the turgid hostage exchange episode left me in a temporary coma, did it ever improve?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Snak posted:

Also a TV show where a lawyer who cares more about justice than money thinks the right thing to do is beat people to within an inch of their lives because he is mad.

To be fair they examine that way more than they examine "hydra and shield are exactly the same except one side does more bad things that the other."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HIJK posted:

I stopped watching Agents after the turgid hostage exchange episode left me in a temporary coma, did it ever improve?

Probably but I don't know specifically which episode that is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HIJK posted:

Yeah it's loving awesome.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

HIJK posted:

Season one never got better than 'just ok,' season two starts out Fitz dealing with brain damage after the S1 finale and it owns so hard.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

HIJK posted:

Started a slow improvement from there which suddenly ramped up into 'goddam ace' around episode 1.16 and has never looked back

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The few side comics where they actually put forth this as an argument were actually much better than the rest. A major part of the problem with Civil War was that they never got around to writing down what exactly registration entailed. So it would change depending on the writer and would range from "Hey, if you want to do some heroing you're going to have to register with the government. No biggie if you don't so long as you stop being a vigilante" to "If you have powers of any kind you have to register. Also you are now fully owned conscripts in a wide ranging super hero paramilitary force. There is no option to not fight crime and get in fights. gently caress your desire to be a doctor, you're a grunt now. Go die for your county. Also you will be reporting directly to noted insane psychopath Norman Osborn. I'd say good luck, but I now hate you as much as I hated mutants 4 months ago."

Also the response to heroing without a registration was pretty poo poo. Literally shooting live ammunition at a kid dressed up like Captain America because he just helped some people.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gyges posted:

The few side comics where they actually put forth this as an argument were actually much better than the rest. A major part of the problem with Civil War was that they never got around to writing down what exactly registration entailed. So it would change depending on the writer and would range from "Hey, if you want to do some heroing you're going to have to register with the government. No biggie if you don't so long as you stop being a vigilante" to "If you have powers of any kind you have to register. Also you are now fully owned conscripts in a wide ranging super hero paramilitary force. There is no option to not fight crime and get in fights. gently caress your desire to be a doctor, you're a grunt now. Go die for your county. Also you will be reporting directly to noted insane psychopath Norman Osborn. I'd say good luck, but I now hate you as much as I hated mutants 4 months ago."

Also the response to heroing without a registration was pretty poo poo. Literally shooting live ammunition at a kid dressed up like Captain America because he just helped some people.

You forgot they hired a nazi to help with the training

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

mclast posted:

Season one never got better than 'just ok,' season two starts out Fitz dealing with brain damage after the S1 finale and it owns so hard.

If I ever try again I'll just start here.

I still can't believe Cap was dumb enough to bring the Punisher onto the antireg team, what did he think Frank was gonna do, just ignore a bunch of criminals Steve had running around?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HIJK posted:

If I ever try again I'll just start here.

I still can't believe Cap was dumb enough to bring the Punisher onto the antireg team, what did he think Frank was gonna do, just ignore a bunch of criminals Steve had running around?

I've already looked foolish for thinking Matt was in CW, but I'm pretty sure that Cap lost his poo poo when he found out Frank was on the team.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I thought the shitlosing was done after Frank saw criminals on the team and promptly ventilated them.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

zoux posted:

I've already looked foolish for thinking Matt was in CW, but I'm pretty sure that Cap lost his poo poo when he found out Frank was on the team.

It's been a while since I read it, if not Cap then who was the idiot?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HIJK posted:

It's been a while since I read it, if not Cap then who was the idiot?

I think, and again could be wrong, that Frank was helping out on the side and after Peter almost got killed when he turned on Tony, Frank was the guy that busted into the Cap team hideout carrying Peter looking for help.

Also I imagine they are going to seriously tone down the language in JJ.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 1, 2015

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

mclast posted:

No, no, no.

Season 1 improved DRAMATICALLY by the time Turn, Turn, Turn rolled around.
It was loving awesome.

It started getting good with The Bridge, it had a couple more hiccups but it was mostly pretty good and then Turn, Turn, Turn happens and it was just so good and never really stopped getting better.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

zoux posted:

I don't recall exactly the scene, but Cap and a bunch of heroes are standing around and Punisher walks in the room. I'm sure there was some conversation, but it ends up with Frank shooting two villains who were with the anti-reg group, Cap then gets mad and beats him up and throws him out.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

zoux posted:

I think, and again could be wrong, that Frank was helping out on the side and after Peter almost got killed when he turned on Tony, Frank was the guy that busted into the Cap team hideout carrying Peter looking for help.

Also I imagine they are going to seriously tone down the language in JJ.

It's direct-to-Netflix. They get alllll the fucks they want. And given that the two trailers so far have been "Jessica is hungover" and "Jessica likes to drink and fight," to say nothing of how insanely brutal DD was, I don't imagine they're going to be going light on ANYTHING.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Test Pattern posted:

It's direct-to-Netflix. They get alllll the fucks they want. And given that the two trailers so far have been "Jessica is hungover" and "Jessica likes to drink and fight," to say nothing of how insanely brutal DD was, I don't imagine they're going to be going light on ANYTHING.

While this is all true, I do find that Netflix shows are lighter on swears then HBO or showtime shows for whatever reasons.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zythrst posted:

While this is all true, I do find that Netflix shows are lighter on swears then saw HBO or showtime shows for whatever reasons.

Doesn't OitNB have a lot of F-bombs?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Zythrst posted:

While this is all true, I do find that Netflix shows are lighter on swears then HBO or showtime shows for whatever reasons.

Then there's Sens8

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Test Pattern posted:

I kind of doubt that they'll have much swearing since DareDevil had very little, it'd make no sense for one show in the shared universe to have swearing and the other not.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Deakul posted:

I kind of doubt that they'll have much swearing since DareDevil had very little, it'd make no sense for one show in the shared universe to have swearing and the other not.

Right. This is still Marvel. They're not going to turn anything of theirs into The Wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AnonSpore posted:

I thought the shitlosing was done after Frank saw criminals on the team and promptly ventilated them.

That is correct, yes. Castle had been covering Cap's team from the shadows, and Cap allowed him to "officially" join the resistance after he brought a critically injured Spider-Man to the hideout and informed Cap of the Thunderbolts Initiative. This lasted about five minutes before Goldbug and Plunderer came to a meeting to offer their support and Castle killed them. Steve beat the poo poo out of Castle and only stopped because Castle refused to fight him.

Also Daredevil was briefly in Civil War. He was captured by a SHIELD team and taken to the extradimensional prison. Tony Stark offered to put him in charge of the official New York superteam, and he told Tony to stick it.