Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, no, Scooby Doo has pretty much always been about the Mystery Gang being rather dumb as they stumble their way through poor animation quality to a solution to a mystery that involves a costume monster. The show is probably fine and the dissenters might have outgrown the series' usual main stays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Mystery Inc was fantastic and Pup was alright but every other version of Scooby Doo has pretty much been garbage.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ThermoPhysical posted:

Mystery Incorporated wasn't that bad.

Mystery Inc rules but it's like the sole bright spot like almost half a century of crummy Scooby-Doo cartoons. That and maybe the one miniseries with Vincent Price, and even then that's more due to camp/irony than anything else.

I'll give the live-action movie credit too because it was written by James Gunn.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It does not help my perception of Scooby Doo that Cartoon Network aired about 12 hours of it per day during my formative years.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Flobbster posted:

Haha, yeah, the fact that there are people commenting on these videos as if there is some grand "Scooby Doo legacy" being tarnished here is laughable.

It's probably more due to the fact that this is what they chose to follow up Mystery Inc. which is not only the best Scooby Doo series (a low bar to be sure) but a surprisingly good show in its own right.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

Mystery Inc rules but it's like the sole bright spot like almost half a century of crummy Scooby-Doo cartoons. That and maybe the one miniseries with Vincent Price, and even then that's more due to camp/irony than anything else.

I'll give the live-action movie credit too because it was written by James Gunn.

That one episode of OG scooby doo featuring Jerry Reed was pretty good

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, Mystery Inc was fantastic and Pup was alright but every other version of Scooby Doo has pretty much been garbage.
The first few movies were fun (mainly Zombie Island and Witch's Ghost)

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I liked the older movie where Shaggy and Scooby were teachers at the monster school. It was during that weird period where they got rid of the rest of the gang and replaced them with Scrappy.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I recognize that it's always been garbage but I've always found a campy appeal in Scooby Doo. I've probably seen a good 85% of all of Scooby Doo, I'd wager. And a good chunk of that is Shaggy and Scooby Doo Get a Clue. Should try and find that some time.

And there's a lot of Scooby Doo.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Flobbster posted:

Haha, yeah, the fact that there are people commenting on these videos as if there is some grand "Scooby Doo legacy" being tarnished here is laughable.

It's no coincidence that they're also the ones bitching about TTG. "First CN ruins Teen Titans, now Scooby Doo" :spergin:

It's a shame that CN can't seem to stop themselves from being on and off with Scooby Doo (What's New was pretty good at being what it was, the one after that was a loada nothin' and then we got MI) but yeah comparisons to "Your new favourite show" are unwarranted right now.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 1, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The thing I don't get is why Scooby-Doo. I just mean, how did Scooby-Doo survive when almost everything else didn't? Sure, every now and then they'll make a random Flintstones or Tom and Jerry movie, and Loony Toons gets rebooted sometimes. Disney makes a Mickey short every 5 years if they feel like it, but I feel like Scooby-Doo has this really bizarre tenacity, where it just never stops getting new series or movies. I just wish I understood why this one franchise in particular keeps coming back. I'm sure it must move merchandise, but that just moves the question to "why does this franchise have such a good ability to sell poo poo?"

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Jsor posted:

The thing I don't get is why Scooby-Doo. I just mean, how did Scooby-Doo survive when almost everything else didn't? Sure, every now and then they'll make a random Flintstones or Tom and Jerry movie, and Loony Toons gets rebooted sometimes. Disney makes a Mickey short every 5 years if they feel like it, but I feel like Scooby-Doo has this really bizarre tenacity, where it just never stops getting new series or movies. I just wish I understood why this one franchise in particular keeps coming back. I'm sure it must move merchandise, but that just moves the question to "why does this franchise have such a good ability to sell poo poo?"

Never underestimate the power of a talking dog.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

axleblaze posted:

Are you implying that Scooby Doo and Kiss: Rock and Roll Mystery is not a masterpiece of cinema?

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
:dukedog:
Buglord

Jsor posted:

Disney makes a Mickey short every 5 years if they feel like it,

It's quite a bit more frequent than that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Scooby Doo has always circled around mediocrity, but it's been really memorable mediocrity. The original cartoons were okay for their day, and even though Hannah Barbara put out like a million different cartoons based on the same concept, Scooby Doo's the only one that had any staying power. Nobody remembers Dune Buggy or The Funky Phantom, but everybody remembers Scooby Doo.

The best reason I can think of is that maybe it was grounded enough that it had more room to go when it had to reinvent itself later. Scooby Doo's gone through a lot of changes over the years, whereas a lot of the other classic cartoons never really survived past a couple iterations of reinvention. Also reruns and direct to TV movies kept interest in it alive throughout the 90s when there weren't technically any new Scooby shows coming out. I don't know if that's because of its appeal or the will of network executives.

Seth MacFarlane's been threatening to remake the Flinstones for a while, but nothing's ever come of it.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I'm pretty sure it's 100% because of merchandise. I see people with Scooby stuff all the time. It's one of those brands that has a lot of pull for parents who don't actually watch the new shows but remember it from their youth and buy their kids shirts, etc. ESPECIALLY dog lovers. The people who constantly post Facebook statuses about how people should stop being prejudiced against pitbulls.

I feel the same way about Mickey Mouse, though. Every kid knows who he is but has probably never watched anything with him in in it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Mystery Incorporated is pretty much the best Scooby-Doo ever and I refuse to believe otherwise. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6qtATgpe4Q

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jsor posted:

See also: Alvin and the Chipmunks, which has never been good.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

...Ok, MI is the second best Scooby show around.

I watched Pup every single day it came on and I still forgot about its existence until now.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Pup gave Freddy a personality, named Coolsville, and just generally mocked the whole concept.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Saying pup is better than MI is just ludicrous. Pup was okay and better than every other Scooby Doo but it still wasn't close to MI

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Senerio posted:

Pup gave Freddy a personality, named Coolsville, and just generally mocked the whole concept.

I remember liking it when I was a kid and I haven't seen it in years but I get the feeling it's one of those late 80s/early 90s cartoons that really didn't age well.

But yes, Pup was probably the high point for Freddy as a character.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I loving hated Pup when I was a kid. The only positive thing I took from it is that it taught me what a red herring was.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

raditts posted:

The only positive thing I took from it is that it taught me what a red herring was.

Agreed. Though now, as an adult, I can recognize how dope the theme song was.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's weird that Frank Welker was the original voice of Fred and still does him today.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.facebook.com/CartoonNetwork/videos/10153147363988372/

Another Be Cool, Scooby-Doo clip.

I'm pretty sure this is what would happen if Seth MacFarlane made Scooby-Doo.

Exactly what would happen.
MacFarlene got his start on Cartoon Network shows. I know he worked on Johnny Bravo and I think there was at least one other.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Thundersword238 posted:

Are you implying that Scooby Doo and Kiss: Rock and Roll Mystery is not a masterpiece of cinema?

Less of a masterpiece, more of the objective best piece of media ever created.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Pakled posted:

I remember liking it when I was a kid and I haven't seen it in years but I get the feeling it's one of those late 80s/early 90s cartoons that really didn't age well.

But yes, Pup was probably the high point for Freddy as a character.

The zillion interchangeable "classic cartoon characterss only now they're kids and also totally hip and fresh yo" shows are the 90s kid equivalent of the half-hour toy commercial cartoons of the 80s, in that they're all awful and it's mind-boggling how many were made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1VgXrLYFtw

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. Still not sure if I like the new design, though.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

How in the hell did all of you forget The New Scooby Doo Movies? :psyduck:

Scooby Doo and Batman/ The Harlem Globetrotters? Hell yeah, man

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Corek posted:

It's weird that Frank Welker was the original voice of Fred and still does him today.

It's hilarious going to that website that lists voice acting roles with samples, and hearing that exact same voice from Mystery Inc to the original Sixties show, with the only difference being the audio quality.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Didn't Casey Kasem do Shaggy up until whatever series was before Mystery Inc?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

PenguinKnight posted:

How in the hell did all of you forget The New Scooby Doo Movies? :psyduck:

Scooby Doo and Batman/ The Harlem Globetrotters? Hell yeah, man

This week, Scooby Doo meets Cass Elliot :geno:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sockser posted:

This week, Scooby Doo meets Cass Elliot :geno:

Jonathan Winters was a weird choice. Three Stooges made me sad.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

We all know that the new Scooby Doo show isn't going to compare well to the good Scooby shows, but where will it compare to the bad ones? Is it going to be better or worse than Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get a Clue?

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

That is a great one, but I think the part where KISS fights rock Galactus to be the best part

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=18635I-x9WY

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

What baffles me is not the fact that Scooby Doo and Kiss: Rock and Roll Mystery is a thing that exists.

What baffles me is the fact that Scooby Doo and Kiss: Rock and Roll Mystery is a thing that exists as of less than three months ago.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Gaunab posted:

I liked the older movie where Shaggy and Scooby were teachers at the monster school. It was during that weird period where they got rid of the rest of the gang and replaced them with Scrappy.

The Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby Doo and Hanna-Barbera Superstars 10 era, yeah. The 1980s were a weird age where HB had to loving compete with poo poo like Thundercats and other Japanese animated/early dub toons that were stealing the spotlight from more ancient reruns of Yogi Bear, so you had a bunch of weird made for tv movies like Meet the Boo Brothers, Ghoul School and Reluctant Werewolf that actually made Scooby go up against Saturday morning style movie monsters and the legit supernatural instead of just criminals in masks. But as cool as anything involving Vincent Price being a giant ham was, this was also the age that went a level beyond Scrappy in adding annoying youth targeting characters like Flim-Flam.

Pup probably died because it made fun of the Scooby Doo formula and was too different from the typical talking animal that solves mysteries experience to last. But I really doubt this new show will be anything worthy of following up on Mystery Inc, much less Johnny Test.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I was a little upset about the new Family Guy Scooby Doo show until I remembered that being rendered in a cheap, cookie cutter art style has been one of the franchise's defining characteristics since its inception. When Scooby Doo was first made, every cartoon on TV used that low-budget Hannah Barbera style, and then in the 90's-00's every cartoon was a variation on the Bruce Timm DCAU style which they used for "What's New Scooby Doo." These days it's Seth McFarlane's lovely crap.
The only odd cartoon out AFAIK was Mystery Incorporated, but it was a beautiful aberration in many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I don't like what I'm seeing with this Daphne being way too into puppets thing. The joke seems a little forced.
I wonder if Velma is going to be the Show's "Meg."