Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

lmao if you think I didn't know this and lmao if you can't tell the difference between someone like that and the masses of investors

are you sure you know how suicide works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

"I am now a Space Astronomer. As an amateur astronomer in real life the option of equip a personal space telescope blew my drat mind! I had to let go of my Hull-E but hell that thing would have only caused me head aches anyway".

Yeah, really having my mind blown by the concept of looking through a video game telescope (that would be disappointing even if it were ever to exist) at a video game universe (that would be disappointing even if it were ever to exist).

3D GAY WORLD fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 1, 2015

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I reminded of the beginning of this project.

Remember when the RSI site crashed within the span of the original GDC Austin event?

That evening, the website company that was hosting was trying to explain to CR that they couldn't fix the broken site. Apparently to the point of tears. The guy on server duty could not fix the broken poo poo, and simply left for the night rather than bang his head against the racks. CR wouldn't have any of their excuses. Obviously it could be done, he just hired the wrong people.

Website hosting to game development are probably apples to oranges.

But the conversation seems strangely familiar.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

HKS posted:

also see stage 3: bargaining.

As hilarious as a complete trainwreck would be, if management really has been even half as bad as rumoured, why would you want developers to lose their jobs?

Especially in Manchester which seems to have been the only studio that doesn't have it's head up it's arse. There were rumours about Frankfurt a while back.

I don't see Chris Roberts releasing control of the SQ42 movie so not sure anything is salvagable gamewise, but it would be nice if Foundry 42 survived as an independent UK development studio.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I just realized that DSmart would have had a much harder job if CR and Sandi just had said "yep we are married" when they did the original kickstarter. It's not like people at that point would have been angry/suspicious at all, given the fact that it was an indi/mom and pop kind of deal anyway.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Tarranon posted:

lmao if you think I didn't know this and lmao if you can't tell the difference between someone like that and the masses of investors

are you sure you know how suicide works?

Okay how about,

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/08/technology/ashley-madison-suicide/

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 1, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GaussianCopula posted:

I just realized that DSmart would have had a much harder job if CR and Sandi just had said "yep we are married" when they did the original kickstarter. It's not like people at that point would have been angry/suspicious at all, given the fact that it was an indi/mom and pop kind of deal anyway.

They actually did say that.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's not a video game. It's a cult.

While true, this cult's version of suicide is apparently "Vindictive pledging:" https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3n588f/the_only_thing_i_have_to_tell_to_all_the/

gently caress you! *Spends 1,250 dollars*

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
im loving the response to this poo poo not just by CIG but also by the establishment gaming news sites, refusing to admit that CIG was loving up under their nose this whole time and they failed to do their job yet again

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Incredible Chris Roberts said "click bait" three times, I've been reading his piece in small chunks as the stupid, it burns.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sarsapariller posted:

While true, this cult's version of suicide is apparently "Vindictive pledging:" https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3n588f/the_only_thing_i_have_to_tell_to_all_the/

This is good, people might hate pledge enough that we actually get a gamahahahahahahahahahaha

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Working at CIG... From a CIG employee.

A defense of CIG written from Thomas Hennessy, who, like so many other current and former CIG employees, really just seems like a decent, likable guy. I will feel bad for him and those like him if/when this thing completely implodes due to Chris and Sandi's bad behavior. (And if it really is down to $8 million, there is no one else to blame for that but them.)

Absurdly, "Sandi_Gardiner" offers her thanks in reply.

This whole thing is shifting from tragedy to farce and back again so fast I'm blacking out from the G-Forces.

EDIT: Sandi's reply was removed, but it said something like, "Thank you so much Thomas for sharing this. I really encourage people to read other employees comments about working here, too." It linked to imgur rasters of GlassDoor reviews from hell.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 1, 2015

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

My children when the comet passes the only people who will be able to ascend are the people who have no earthly possessions remaining.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

AP posted:

As hilarious as a complete trainwreck would be, if management really has been even half as bad as rumoured, why would you want developers to lose their jobs?

Especially in Manchester which seems to have been the only studio that doesn't have it's head up it's arse. There were rumours about Frankfurt a while back.

I don't see Chris Roberts releasing control of the SQ42 movie so not sure anything is salvagable gamewise, but it would be nice if Foundry 42 survived as an independent UK development studio.

Where does all the "manchester isn't as bad as everywhere else" come from when there is still nothing more than 3 buggy and lovely tech demos available from CIG as a whole?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
can't believe Chris Roberts shot up the Oregon scool

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Chris Roberts Disputes Veracity Of New Inflammatory Star Citizen Allegations

quote:

Right now, CIG and its detractors are in a very public game of “he said, she said,” with nearly $90 million from almost 1 million backers in the balance. Those with a stake in its success are holding their breath waiting to see if Star Citizen will be an epic space sim dream or a nightmare.

Our Take
Roberts is now on record about a number of allegations that have been lingering for weeks. Unfortunately, this story only has two possible endings. Either CIG fulfills all its promises and quiets detractors, or the project doesn’t make it to the finish line.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Segmentation Fault posted:

can't believe Chris Roberts shot up the Oregon scool

:vince:

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

AP posted:

Every single person involved from backer to dev suffered/will suffer one way or another from this, innocent or not. You guys singling out F42 like man I hope at least something good came out of this is a sign that you are in fact going through the stages of grief. Don't pull a CR and get mad back at me okay

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

What a daring take

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Truga posted:

This is good, people might hate pledge enough that we actually get a gamahahahahahahahahahaha

+1 for "hate pledge"

-1 for "hate pledging" being an actual thing that star citizens unironically do

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 1, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"Those with a stake in its success are holding their breath"
Years of oxygen deprivation is a scary thing.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Wafflz posted:

Where does all the "manchester isn't as bad as everywhere else" come from when there is still nothing more than 3 buggy and lovely tech demos available from CIG as a whole?

There was a trend of giving stuff to F42 to fix, retaliator, gladiator, scythe, gladius, then the leak with loads of Vanduul stuff. The actual game bit wasn't with them, so you can at least say there was more evidence they were doing something unlike Austin, Frankfurt, LA.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
the real shame is that Seraph84 was banned before this all went down

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

that's about ashley Madison

but if your point is that people are more likely to kill themselves when they feel like they've let everyone down and are terribly ashamed, feel like a burden or a bad person, feel worthless, clinically depressed, or any combination therein then yeah I agree with you

that's the distinction I'm making. those people felt trapped and publicly humiliated. Bitcoin and starship investors will just lose money, which is embarrassing but not nearly on the same sociological level.

put it this way, if God forbid anything happens to anyone over this, it's exponentially more likely it's going to be a community figure

I'm embarrassed about how long this tangent has gone on so you can get a reply in but after that I suggest we drop it

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

AP posted:

There was a trend of giving stuff to F42 to fix, retaliator, gladiator, scythe, gladius, then the leak with loads of Vanduul stuff. The actual game bit wasn't with them, so you can at least say there was more evidence they were doing something unlike Austin, Frankfurt, LA.

I see, I still wouldn't give anyone a pass until we see some actual video game happening.

Segmentation Fault posted:

the real shame is that Seraph84 was banned before this all went down

He lives on in our hearts and some people's avatars.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

HKS posted:

Every single person involved from backer to dev suffered/will suffer one way or another from this, innocent or not. You guys singling out F42 like man I hope at least something good came out of this is a sign that you are in fact going through the stages of grief. Don't pull a CR and get mad back at me okay

I appreciate that there's a strong temptation to troll upset Star Citizens, it's only natural, you have my sympathies that you picked the wrong poster and pretty soon I'm just going to start laughing at you.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Tetrodotoxin
Jul 6, 2009
Are the ships 8bit graphics on the OP, in style with the Star Citizen concept art?

Whoever draw them, they are really cool!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tetrodotoxin posted:

Are the ships 8bit graphics on the OP, in style with the Star Citizen concept art?

Whoever draw them, they are really cool!

It's Eldragon's pictures. Definitely not CIG.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Where is Karl_Ramscheiss when we need him ?

Risking his life on the front lines somewhere

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Tarranon posted:

but if your point is that people are more likely to kill themselves when they feel like they've let everyone down and are terribly ashamed, feel like a burden or a bad person, feel worthless, clinically depressed, or any combination therein then yeah I agree with you

that's the distinction I'm making. those people felt trapped and publicly humiliated. Bitcoin and starship investors will just lose money, which is embarrassing but not nearly on the same sociological level.

put it this way, if God forbid anything happens to anyone over this, it's exponentially more likely it's going to be a community figure

....But... I wasn't arguing that like a million Star Citizens are going to kill themselves just that the idea that no one is going to is silly. I dunno if Wulf counts as a community person but considering the poo poo he's gone through (literal electroshock therapy for depression) him committing suicide is a very real and very sad prospect. Don't get me wrong the goons longing for a mass suicide are weird and terrible but to say no one's going to because they are already used to let downs is just wrong.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Bootcha posted:

I reminded of the beginning of this project.
Was your investment thrilling enough?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Sedisp posted:

....But... I wasn't arguing that like a million Star Citizens are going to kill themselves just that the idea that no one is going to is silly. I dunno if Wulf counts as a community person but considering the poo poo he's gone through (literal electroshock therapy for depression) him committing suicide is a very real and very sad prospect. Don't get me wrong the goons longing for a mass suicide are weird and terrible but to say no one's going to because they are already used to let downs is just wrong.

oh my god shut up

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I would love to effort post about the psychology of suicide but probably shouldn't. All I'll say is that if someone is in the position where they might commit suicide over the failure of a game then they were suicidal before their attachment to the game and were using it as a means to ignore the true source of their pain.

Therefore: The failure of this game won't make anyone commit suicide. But some suicidal people might be obsessed with this game.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

AP posted:

Foundry 42 will probably keep going, I'm sure they charged CIG/RSI handsomely for their work, Erin I think has a majority stake but he might want to sack the other two directors.

Erin has 70% of the shares. Chris has 15%. This company has presumably taken backer money via the other Roberts companies though and there is a very curious charge of a deposit from NatWest bank with Foundry 42 Ltd. It appears that the company put aside company money in a company bank account and agreed not to touch it. This has served as a deposit for further borrowing. This isn't a typical way you borrow money.

This sort of behaviour might happen to enable a director to borrow money personally, say for a mortgage for their own house. They even get a reduced interest rate on the borrowing as all that company cash acts as security for the bank. Obviously we cannot be sure but this would count as a significant post-balance sheet event and appear as a disclosure note in the companies accounts for 2014 even though it happened in January of 2015...if the accounts were filed three months ago.

For anyone curious you can see the details of the charge here: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814/filing-history/MzExNjIzNzcyMmFkaXF6a2N4/document?format=pdf&download=0

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Sir_Charles posted:

oh my god shut up

Jer-ry! Jer-ry! Jer-ry!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGeq21LKB78

Is slavery actually a "feature" of this game, because lol at that 1st news item.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

thatguy posted:

Was your investment thrilling enough?

:drat:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's not a video game. It's a cult.

From the Forbes post:

"Forbes posted:

UPDATE 2: An army of Star Citizen fans have predictably started attacking me for writing this article. Bear in mind that I'm simply reporting on a report, and liberally using words like "allegations" and "claims." However, many of you seem content to discard these allegations as false simply because Roberts says they're false, which is more disturbing than any claims contained in this article.

Jesus Christ, I hadn't paid attention to this game since about early 2013. What the hell happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Even though this thread has had it's ups and downs it has delivered more drama than any hollywood film and more comedy than any tv series.

Generation Internet posted:

From the Forbes post:

Jesus Christ, I hadn't paid attention to this game since about early 2013. What the hell happened?

They switched from "more money means you get a better game, sooner" to "buy these pictures of ships and we'll add more games into our game which we'll add someday!"

• Locked thread