Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Star Citizen is by far the most entertaining game I'll never play. I love everything about this (and the last) thread. I only wish I paid attention to the game sooner, as it would have made the fall that much more sweet.

2DCAT fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Bolow posted:

"I'm hungry"

Also I just realized, in a bout of massive irony, Chris Roberts has responded in the exact same way Derek Smart would have in the same situation.

“The creatures outside looked from Smart to Roberts, and from Roberts to Smart, and from Smart to Roberts again; but already it was impossible to say which was which”

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Octopode posted:

They could release a full, audited financial statement today and the only responses from people in this thread would be either a) they've only got $x left, they're doomed! or b) They've got $x left! Clearly they've been squandering funds away to run off with instead of making the game! It doesn't matter what the value of $x is. Hell, there would probably be both responses simultaneously. The only thing that would make anyone who's already decided the game is a giant scam change their mind is if they released the game, completed, in full, with every possible feature.

Just look at the response to Chris's letter here already. Last week, people were claiming they were trying to hide things by not saying anything in response to Smart's comments, lambasting them for not just coming out and making it clear Sandi and Chris were married (despite that happening literally years ago), and such. CIG does all that, and suddenly it's a sign of doom and gloom that CIG stooped to respond to such incredulous allegations, so of course they must be true! For every thing CIG actually responds to or allegation they prove false, people will just latch on to another possibility. Because none of this is really about accountability, or who's telling the truth, or whether the game gets made.

I was one of the ones saying they should have come out about being married ages ago. Emphasis should have. Revealing it as part of an ad-hominem "They went after my wife and kids!" reaction is exactly the kind of weakness that concealing it in the first place made possible. It was pointless, coy, and ultimately completely futile. I should add that I actually said they'd suppress until it boiled over and then release a letter from Roberts- that is exactly what happened.

The important thing about modeling behavior in your head is that you have to be able to say "This will NOT happen." If everything fits into your prediction space, then you are predicting nothing at all. Here are four things that CIG could do that would invalidate my mental model that says they are panicked and have no idea what they are doing. If they do any of these I will happily change my mind, because they are completely outside the realm of possibility if the company is even close to my model of them.

1) Release an interview with a former employee who has nothing but good things to say about them and is not in any way professionally or personally invested in them overcoming this PR disaster.

2) Release an internal audit showing their current finances, where they are spending, and their overall projected budget for finishing the game (bonus points if they could finish with no further funding today).

3) Announce that they are not selling any more ships until the release of one or more parts of their game.

4) Say goodbye to Sandi as she departs to pursue her glorious acting career

What is something CIG could do that would indicate to you that your idea of them as a competent game developer was incorrect?

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 1, 2015

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
Incidentally for British tax payers, I looked into the tax incentives that can be given to the production of video games in the UK. They are based on your expenditure rather than profits but I do not believe Star Citizen in general would qualify for a number of reasons. Foundry 42 / Squadron 42 could maybe qualify depending on interpretation but thankfully they do not appear to have done so yet. It would also need to be a "culturally British" video game but the bigger stumbling block to receiving the payable tax credits would be the requirement to finish the game.

http://www.bfi.org.uk/film-industry/british-certification-tax-relief/cultural-test-video-games

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004

CrazyLoon posted:

Whatever you say, user account with a full page of 'trolling' ban reasons. Jesus cripes guys, you still feeding this chucklefuck and having this awesome thread derail into gamergate bullshit?

First of all, the truth is regularly dismissed as trolling when its before its time. Hasn't dsmart taught you anything?

Further, its gonna take decades to exorcise the ghost of gamergate and these arguments against Sandi aren't hastening that

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Meanwhile in a review for Line Of Defence:

quote:

Stephen Hawking runs better then this game.

:eyepop:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Irrational Man posted:

First of all, the truth is regularly dismissed as trolling when its before its time. Hasn't dsmart taught you anything?

Further, its gonna take decades to exorcise the ghost of gamergate and these arguments against Sandi aren't hastening that

You have to have a cool down period so people forget about your username then try again.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

AP posted:

That's not really true Octopode and I think you know it. I can't even read all of the Chairman's letter because it's that painful and you know how much of this poo poo I read, it's loving terrible PR. He attacked the journalist, he's completely lost the plot and sounds like one of his own fans with the "click bait" bullshit.

CIG will continue to be inept at media relations and community management. They always have been. I was only speaking to the proclivities of the people here and elsewhere that don't really care about any of this beyond the entertainment value generated by the crossfire. The same ones spouting stuff about the game not existing or obviously being a scam despite the patently obvious thousands upon thousands of manhours of effort expended on it already, and conveniently waving away any evidence to the contrary. They will always find another reason to justify their viewpoint, no matter how little evidence there is to support it.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

Irrational Man posted:

Leave Sandi alone :colbert:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Meanwhile in a review for Line Of Defence:

:eyepop:

Derek Smart rallying the internet to take down Star Citizen then having them turn on and take his game down afterwards would probably be the most appropriate ending to this whole story.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

2DCAT posted:

Star Citizen is by far the most entertaining game I'll never play. I love everything about this (and the last) thread. I only wish I paid attention to the sooner sooner, as it would have made the fall that much more sweet.

It's somewhat cathartic, actually.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Say what you like but Chris going after Derek just because he is black is well out of order imo

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004

Sedisp posted:

You have to have a cool down period so people forget about your username then try again.

Try again to do what? Penetrate your deeply rooted sexism? I get that since you've found a convinient excuse to ignore your entrenched prejudice you're gonna run with it since that would be easier, but all that shows is how far we have to go and how necessary Anita and Co. are.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Derek Smart rallying the internet to take down Star Citizen then having them turn on and take his game down afterwards would probably be the most appropriate ending to this whole story.

If you read his Steam review section for Line Of Defence it's already full of SC defenders

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Octopode posted:

CIG will continue to be inept at media relations and community management. They always have been. I was only speaking to the proclivities of the people here and elsewhere that don't really care about any of this beyond the entertainment value generated by the crossfire. The same ones spouting stuff about the game not existing or obviously being a scam despite the patently obvious thousands upon thousands of manhours of effort expended on it already, and conveniently waving away any evidence to the contrary. They will always find another reason to justify their viewpoint, no matter how little evidence there is to support it.

I repeat- what is something that, if true, would cause you to re-evaluate your viewpoint?

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

peter gabriel posted:

Say what you like but Chris going after Derek just because he is black is well out of order imo

Which is also technically wrong as DS is partly gray too.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Octopode posted:

I can't imagine how much money you must have given to this project to keep up this sham.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

I added an edit you maybe missed.

"Anyone with any sense would have stopped him writing that, I'm not even sure :lesnick: would have gone along with it. I think it's probably the most accurate projection of him we're ever seen as he wrote it angry. Not that fake "my poor family" angry, that's been going on for months from Smart, but real "how dare the media print this about me just before Citizen Con" angry."

Yeah, maybe so on that but some of us have been watching and giving them a fair chance, despite the grossly overbearing marketing, and events would seem at the moment to prove the concerned were more than right to bail. 9 days to Citizen Con so we'll see what happens.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Xaerael posted:

Shut the gently caress up, Karl "literally a worse poster than Darkpriest667" underscore Ramseier.

WOAH WOAH WOAH.. Let's calm down there. NO ONE is a worse poster than I am. I will not have my title stripped from me without some damned good evidence. He's a poo poo poster, sure, but is he as poo poo a poster as I am?

Gwaihir posted:

Whoa whoa whoa let's not throw around things like "Worse poster than Darkpriest667" lightly.

THANK YOU. Jesus. Has everyone lost their minds?

Holy gently caress, if she said "we're not hiring a black girl" that's loving disgusting. It's one thing to be a bitch, but to be racist is a whole different level of piece of poo poo person.

Kimsemus posted:

Pointing out the incompetence of CIG should really put into perspective my own. I think I'm going to ask for a raise. :toot:

poo poo, me too!

Well Forbes is doing their usual reporting of reporting and the faithful have gone to attack them.

LOL @ OP..

So is Dick Wulf on Suicide watch? What is the over under on suicides from this collapse? 5 or 6? I'm going to go with the over.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Don't you have to buy a game on Steam to review it? Not that I would put it past SC faithful to give 10$ to their worst enemy as a way of telling him off since they think revenge donating is a good idea. But, really?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

sorla78 posted:

Which is also technically wrong as DS is partly gray too.

Just goes to show how blind their prejudices really are - sad state of affairs

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

shrach posted:

Incidentally for British tax payers, I looked into the tax incentives that can be given to the production of video games in the UK. They are based on your expenditure rather than profits but I do not believe Star Citizen in general would qualify for a number of reasons. Foundry 42 / Squadron 42 could maybe qualify depending on interpretation but thankfully they do not appear to have done so yet. It would also need to be a "culturally British" video game but the bigger stumbling block to receiving the payable tax credits would be the requirement to finish the game.

http://www.bfi.org.uk/film-industry/british-certification-tax-relief/cultural-test-video-games

That's very interesting. There's a good chance more accounting expertise will be useful as we play "follow the money" later.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Roflan posted:

Don't you have to buy a game on Steam to review it? Not that I would put it past SC faithful to give 10$ to their worst enemy as a way of telling him off since they think revenge donating is a good idea. But, really?

Yeah but then you can get a refund if you play it for less than 2 hours, no questions asked.
However good luck getting past Dereks title screen and menu in less than 2 hours :lol:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I really enjoy that there are people who are just releasing solid, or at least complete space games quietly while the battle of endor sized drama explosions are going on.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

AP posted:

That's very interesting. There's a good chance more accounting expertise will be useful as we play "follow the money" later.

Oh poo poo I forgot to ask my accountant today :v:

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

peter gabriel posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot to ask my accountant today :v:

Think of the money you saved by not asking him. Maybe buy a nice spaceship.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Darkpriest667 posted:

So is Dick Wulf on Suicide watch?
No one wants to watch him in case he gets his cock out again.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
KOTAKU's Schreier is weighting in ;)

Thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1119170

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=180459500&postcount=82

Originally Posted By: jsschreier

Yeah, we've been hearing from and talking to various current and former employees at CIG for a while now. I've spent a ton of time editing and working with others on the team and we've published a couple of things so far. Part of our job is to determine what's relevant, concrete information that's actually worth reporting and what's just gossip from employees who are angry for one reason or another.

FWIW, this is one of the most disgusting pieces of reporting I've ever seen, and I'm legit shocked that any professional website would publish something like "It was also claimed that Gardiner used race as a determining factor in selecting employees, allegedly once saying 'We aren't hiring her. We aren't hiring a black girl'" without crystal-clear sourcing and evidence (and without giving the person in question a chance to defend herself).

What's really ironic is that the Escapist article's author is a huge figure of GamerGate, a movement about ethics in journalism.

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 1, 2015

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004

sorla78 posted:

KOTAKU's Schreier is weighting in ;)

Originally Posted By: jsschreier

Yeah, we've been hearing from and talking to various current and former employees at CIG for a while now. I've spent a ton of time editing and working with others on the team and we've published a couple of things so far. Part of our job is to determine what's relevant, concrete information that's actually worth reporting and what's just gossip from employees who are angry for one reason or another.

FWIW, this is one of the most disgusting pieces of reporting I've ever seen, and I'm legit shocked that any professional website would publish something like "It was also claimed that Gardiner used race as a determining factor in selecting employees, allegedly once saying 'We aren't hiring her. We aren't hiring a black girl'" without crystal-clear sourcing and evidence (and without giving the person in question a chance to defend herself).

What's really ironic is that the Escapist article's author is a huge figure of GamerGate, a movement about ethics in journalism.

This is what I've been saying all along. Also its not that ironic when you consider that gamergate is about attacking women.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

This really begs the question, what other games is this guy playing?

there are no other games, there is only star citizen

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

shrach posted:

Think of the money you saved by not asking him. Maybe buy a nice spaceship.

Ha ha, nah the dude rocks, my parting words to him today were 'Am I alright having a piss?'

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Irrational Man posted:

This is what I've been saying all along. Also its not that ironic when you consider that gamergate is about attacking women.

:coupons:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

quote:

I understand that CIG in general is trying to stay far away from drama but this is getting out of hand, what The Escapist did is outright slander and character assassination with calling someone working at CIG racist without a shred of proof beyond a "source" conveniently made secret.

It's time to make a stand on this and sue for defamation and libel or every clickbait website will be taking potshots at SC for more viewership.

without a shred of proof beyond a source

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Sarsapariller posted:

I repeat- what is something that, if true, would cause you to re-evaluate your viewpoint?

I had a nice long response typed up to your previous post and the internet just ate it, but I'll respond to this again at least.

Evidence of forward progress towards the final game stopping. It wouldn't be hard to see, and it would be much better of evidence of monetary or company problems than anything Derek Smart posts.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I guess CIG would need to have a shitload of things to show at CitizenCon to quell rebellion. What's the over/under of it being more embarassing than OUYA at (outside of ) E3?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

quote:

I agree. As backers, we can demand that these people start furnishing proof, or threaten their bottom lines. If publications like the Escapist are just going to throw bombs, we need to start campaign to reveal their already tarnished reputation. I'm done allowing these click-bait articles to tarnish the work of these people. Either they show me the goods, and prove all of this is happening, or stop, immediately. I'm thinking we need a general form letter, that we can send en masse to these publications.
My best attempt so far:

Hello,

In regards to your coverage of Star Citizen and Cloud Imperium Games (CIG) as a whole, I think there are only 3 roads to be tread upon from this juncture:

1) As a backer, I would want to be the first to know if CIG was provably misusing funds, mistreating workers, or otherwise partaking Furnish proof that any of the claims made against Star Citizen are substantive and criminal (or otherwise detrimental to the project). Provide evidence that the backers are being fleeced, and work with authorities to restore the 90 million dollars that were sent by backers to the project. Prove that the claims made in the related article are done so with merit, and were verified prior to publication.

2) Immediately apologize to CIG and its community for what amounts to libel; censure, suspend, and/or fire the writer and editor behind the article, pending further investigation of the facts, as well as investigating possible collusion with known detractors of CIG to start a smear campaign. Disavow the tactics taken by the Bandit@itsaguy, and disapprove of your contributors interacting with and taking cues from such toxic contributors.

3) Do nothing. Which of course, will result in a complete melt down of trust between your publication and the very large gaming community involved with Star Citizen's development. And it won't stop there. We'll spread the word of exactly the kind of publication you are. We will actively work to expose The Escapist's duplicitous nature to sponsors, and boycott its services, and any sponsors that support The Escapist, and its way of doing things.

I plead with you to do the right thing.

End of Letter

I think I'm a bit too angry to have worded this as well as I'd have liked, so if anyone thinks this is a good idea, and can improve on this, feel free.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe
This seems like an appropriate time to contribute some new content to the thread. Linked below is audio from Michael "Viewmaster" Morlan, former employee of CIG and current employee of Descendent Studios. In this exclusive interview, he details the parties responsible for Star Citizen''s failure.

Michael Morlan interview about the failure of Star Citizen

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Irrational Man posted:

If you're really interested in learning, check out Anita Sarkeesian's series on women in gaming to see how sexism is rampant in the culture and industry.

Well played

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Goredema posted:

This seems like an appropriate time to contribute some new content to the thread. Linked below is audio from Michael "Viewmaster" Morlan, former employee of CIG and current employee of Descendent Studios. In this exclusive interview, he details the parties responsible for Star Citizen''s failure.

Michael Morlan interview about the failure of Star Citizen

Good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Submitted my refund request. I hope I can get my $30 back instead of paying that to end up with a "game" that will be a source code dump with a bunch of half finished spaceship models, and no company to run any servers.

• Locked thread