Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Though the new system which I can't remember the name of which allows for various paths to take for your nation

National focuses.

And yeah, alt history stuff is still something we are interested in, although I'm not sure about alt history scenarios. They are cool if done well, but on the other hand it can be a lot of content and it's an area where mod teams can do as well or better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

National focuses.

And yeah, alt history stuff is still something we are interested in, although I'm not sure about alt history scenarios. They are cool if done well, but on the other hand it can be a lot of content and it's an area where mod teams can do as well or better.

As long as national focuses are moddable (which I think is a safe assumption?) it should be super easy for mod teams to knock out alt-hist scenarios.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

National focuses.

HOI4 sunset invasion DLC please that replaces all of North America with a gently caress-off huge Aztec empire and puts events in for them to conquer Europe and sacrifice Hitler on top of a pyramid.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

:siren: Paradox Publisher Weekend on Steam. Lasts from October 1 to October 5 :siren:

The discounts are going as high as 80% for some games and bundles. Grab your DLCs and any games that haven't been brought yet while you still can.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Danann posted:

:siren: Paradox Publisher Weekend on Steam. Lasts from October 1 to October 5 :siren:

The discounts are going as high as 80% for some games and bundles. Grab your DLCs and any games that haven't been brought yet while you still can.

Finally... Art of War...

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Danann posted:

Think there's any chance the EU4 expansions will go down any more? I'm behind by three, but I only have enough to get either Common Sense and Art of War, or Art of War and El Dorado. I know that people would say CS and AoW are the necessary ones, but I'd like to play the game as complete as possible.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Danann posted:

Dear lord, I didn't realise they were still selling SotS 2.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Excellent timing paradox, I was just wrestling with the temptation to buy some DLC at full price yesterday. I'm glad I won.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

Dear lord, I didn't realise they were still selling SotS 2.

If they're charging over $1, it's too much.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

A timelapse video of the Black Ice mod for HOI3 that doesn't end quite like how you might expect.

EDIT: Holy poo poo I just realized how goddamn clickbaity that sounds. I'm really sorry, I swear to god I wasn't doing it on purpose. It's an AI-only/observer game that goes off the rails.

Bulgaria twitching all over the place and then suddendly appearing in Turkey is hilarious.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Getting pretty excited for EU4 1.14. The map mode button layout has been a pet peeve for a while so good to see them getting a make over.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

V for Vegas posted:

Getting pretty excited for EU4 1.14. The map mode button layout has been a pet peeve for a while so good to see them getting a make over.
I had no idea it was getting changed, so that is exciting. It is going to be a while till 1.14 drops though, isnt it?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lum_ posted:

If they're charging over $1, it's too much.

Paradox should sever :colbert:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bort Bortles posted:

I had no idea it was getting changed, so that is exciting. It is going to be a while till 1.14 drops though, isnt it?

Wiz tweeted this the other day

quote:

support for 10 quick map modes and categorized selection

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

V for Vegas posted:

Wiz tweeted this the other day

That is awesome, thank you for sharing it here. I am behind on the EU4 thread so I may not have seen it there (yet) and I dont twitter or go to the paradox forums so seeing news like this here is great.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I got Hearts of Iron 3 ages ago as part of a bundle but never really got into it since it was before I really understood Paradox games (I've since played the hell out of CK2 and Victoria 2 so I think I can wrap my head around it a bit better). Would it be worth picking up the DLC while it's on sale? I know HoI4 is coming out eventually, but the current sale has a collection of ALL of it for $10.

Basically is the DLC as "must have" as it was for Victoria 2 if I want to try playing it?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I got Hearts of Iron 3 ages ago as part of a bundle but never really got into it since it was before I really understood Paradox games (I've since played the hell out of CK2 and Victoria 2 so I think I can wrap my head around it a bit better). Would it be worth picking up the DLC while it's on sale?

Basically is the DLC as "must have" as it was for Victoria 2 if I want to try playing it?

No and yes, respectively. What I'm saying is don't play HoI 3 unless the idea of spending 2 hours in a glorified excel spreadsheet setting up your Order of Battle at the start of every game appeals to you.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Alternate history DLC based on the WorldWar alternate history novels maybe?

I wasn't that annoyed by Sunset Invasion, I mean its DLC you can just turn it off if you don't like it...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If you want to play HOI3, you should get all of the DLC.

It's the first half of that statement that's operative.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Why am I tempted to get Sengoku, even though I know it'll be awful.

Also, one day Paradox will stop making CK2 DLC. The sale after that, I will finally catch up on DLC and break free of this compulsion not to play until I have all the major DLCs.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, one day Paradox will stop making CK2 DLC. The sale after that, I will finally catch up on DLC and break free of this compulsion not to play until I have all the major DLCs.

Me too, friend, me too. :smith:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Why does "EU3 complete", in 2015, still exist, as a thing?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

BBJoey posted:

Why does "EU3 complete", in 2015, still exist, as a thing?

There's gotta be a long tail of people still buying that stuff, I guess? I know your point is that EU3 complete is missing two expacks, but really EU4 is just strictly better than EU3 so people shouldn't be playing it anyway. It's a little frustrating to see so much junk on the Paradox sale page, is my point, because it's sad that people would get suckered into buying Sengoku or Supreme Ruler at any price.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I don't mind that there's a whole lot of old stuff on the sales page though it would be nice if they sorted it so that all the new (and good) stuff is at the top. I know focus groups have probably shown that randomisation is ~the best for your brand~ or something but I just refreshed three times and Cities Skylines was in the bottom two rows all three times, that's dumb.

But yeah my problem is that "EU3 Complete" is not in fact complete and there's very little to indicate to someone without foreknowledge that that's the case. Of course the argument then is why would someone without foreknowledge be buying EU3 instead of EU4 anyway, but if you're making that argument then why put up EU3 for sale at all? Given it's been this way for years and years now, it feels intentionally misleading and exploitative to me.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

So I'm really, really, really thinking about getting the Vicky 2 package. I've never played VIcky 2 though...is this enough for a good time? Is there a mod I need to add for it to be worth a drat?

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Pershing posted:

So I'm really, really, really thinking about getting the Vicky 2 package. I've never played VIcky 2 though...is this enough for a good time? Is there a mod I need to add for it to be worth a drat?

Victoria 2 grew on me over time, I first didn't like it due to its focus away from military and onto industrialization and development, but over time I have grown to like it a lot.

That, and the period of time it takes place in was turbulent, and Victoria 2 really captures this.

For mods, I really like the PoD mod with Divide by Zero, but I'd recommend a mod-less playthrough first to get a handle on POPs, industry and economy.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why am I tempted to get Sengoku, even though I know it'll be awful.

I'm not going to like if/when CK3 ever comes out. No matter how good it is, it can't foreseeably have anywhere near the content CK2 does now.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'm not going to like if/when CK3 ever comes out. No matter how good it is, it can't foreseeably have anywhere near the content CK2 does now.

Looks like somebody isn't prepared for the greatness that will be Crusader Kings III: The Maori Warriors.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pershing posted:

I happen to really like Victoria 2 but I can also understand why people might not like it. It's totally playable without mods (so long as you get the DLC), but you might want to check out a let's play or two to figure out if it's going to be your cup of tea.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I happen to really like Victoria 2 but I can also understand why people might not like it. It's totally playable without mods (so long as you get the DLC), but you might want to check out a let's play or two to figure out if it's going to be your cup of tea.

Given the sale, I'm just gonna risk the :10bux: on it. I loved Vicky 1, after all.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you want to play HOI3, you should get all of the DLC.

It's the first half of that statement that's operative.

I do want to play it, it's the only game of their giant line that I haven't actually tried yet. I've heard though, that just getting Darkest Hour is a better idea?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

rizzen posted:

I do want to play it, it's the only game of their giant line that I haven't actually tried yet. I've heard though, that just getting Darkest Hour is a better idea?

Get Darkest Hour if you want to try out Kaiserreich, otherwise just wait for Hearts of Iron IV.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

rizzen posted:

Yes, the consensus is that Darkest Hour is better.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Kavak posted:

Get Darkest Hour if you want to try out Kaiserreich, otherwise just wait for Hearts of Iron IV.

This. Darkest Hour is fun in spite of itself. The old Europa engine games are clunky compared to EU3, let alone modern Paradox games like CK2 and EU4. Darkest Hour is one of the most refined Europa games and it's still quite a step down in usability, and in addition I found that once you know the "right" way to play you're basically done because the "wrong" ways to play are so inefficient in comparison that all you're doing by experimenting is shooting yourself in both feet. Unless you're desperately jonesing for a WW2 Paradox game, just wait for HoI 4.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
What is the EU IV EXTREME EDITION?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The Mantis posted:

What is the EU IV EXTREME EDITION?

Adds some DLC packs - mainly cosmetic but also some new events for Muslims. I don't think it's important by any means.

e: It's actually cheaper to buy the base game and pick up the Extreme Edition upgrade. Whoops!

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 2, 2015

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
EU IV: Common sense. Steam reviews are terrible, but the op says to get it but is only 1 line. Has it been patched into a good addition?

E: the parts that sound most concerning to me is the forts mechanic and that apparently you can't develop provinces without the dlc?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The people writing negative reviews for Common Sense are manchildren complaining that they weren't given every new mechanic introduced in a patch to a 2 year old game for free, only some of them. Anyone complaining about the new fort system is literally insane. Common Sense owns, buy it.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pharnakes posted:

EU IV: Common sense. Steam reviews are terrible, but the op says to get it but is only 1 line. Has it been patched into a good addition?

E: the parts that sound most concerning to me is the forts mechanic and that apparently you can't develop provinces without the dlc?

Most of the downvoting was because of the free patches introduced a number of major changes (coring costs, forts), because development is a paid feature, or because of technical issues caused by engine upgrade. The bad reviews have very little to do with the quality of the expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Pharnakes posted:

It was never bad, people just got mad about buildings changing.

Dibujante posted:

As long as national focuses are moddable (which I think is a safe assumption?) it should be super easy for mod teams to knock out alt-hist scenarios.

Yup, very moddable.

Also, EU's 1.14 patch is looking pretty good, the mapmodes UI change is small fries. Maybe this this summary thread even if you hate the forum:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-do-we-know-about-1-14.884433/

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 2, 2015