Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Another employee has decided to talk about CIG. What a surprise.

Goredema posted:

This seems like an appropriate time to contribute some new content to the thread. Linked below is audio from Michael "Viewmaster" Morlan, former employee of CIG and current employee of Descendent Studios. In this exclusive interview, he details the parties responsible for Star Citizen''s failure.

Michael Morlan interview about the failure of Star Citizen

Holy poo poo. This is the most damning evidence yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Octopode posted:

CIG will continue to be inept at media relations and community management. They always have been. I was only speaking to the proclivities of the people here and elsewhere that don't really care about any of this beyond the entertainment value generated by the crossfire. The same ones spouting stuff about the game not existing or obviously being a scam despite the patently obvious thousands upon thousands of manhours of effort expended on it already, and conveniently waving away any evidence to the contrary. They will always find another reason to justify their viewpoint, no matter how little evidence there is to support it.

welcome back octopode

Irrational Man posted:

Try again to do what? Penetrate your deeply rooted sexism? I get that since you've found a convinient excuse to ignore your entrenched prejudice you're gonna run with it since that would be easier, but all that shows is how far we have to go and how necessary Anita and Co. are.

um why do you have to penetrate it? thats sexist :nyd:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Octopode posted:

CIG will continue to be inept at media relations and community management. They always have been. I was only speaking to the proclivities of the people here and elsewhere that don't really care about any of this beyond the entertainment value generated by the crossfire. The same ones spouting stuff about the game not existing or obviously being a scam despite the patently obvious thousands upon thousands of manhours of effort expended on it already, and conveniently waving away any evidence to the contrary. They will always find another reason to justify their viewpoint, no matter how little evidence there is to support it.

I don't think it's a scam, however at this point I don't think it's a developing game either.

There is a strong case to be made about CIG overspending, maybe to the point $80+ million.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I sent my refund request on Sunday, still no response.

Yesterday, I sent a follow up since I hadn't heard anything.

Sent another this afternoon.

Still... silence.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Irrational Man posted:

If you're really interested in learning, check out Anita Sarkeesian's series on women in gaming to see how sexism is rampant in the culture and industry.

10/10 would troll again

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

welcome back octopode

Catching back up at work after two weeks off right at the beginning of a fiscal year doesn't leave me much time for internet spaceships.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

quote:

I agree. As backers, we can demand that these people start furnishing proof, or threaten their bottom lines.

:ironicat:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I don't know that backers should be threatening anyone's bottoms. Look what happened to goatse.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

I don't think it's a scam, however at this point I don't think it's a developing game either.

There is a strong case to be made about CIG overspending, maybe to the point $80+ million.

It's a badly run project but I think it's pretty obvious almighty Chris Roberts thinks that he will eventually make the best space game ever made if he can keep the money flowing.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
To be fair, to see a stop to progress towards a finished game, we'd need to see actual progress towards a finished game first.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Jethro_E7 posted:

My question relates to the guy who refused to stop spending even after his wife did an intervention and subsequently left him. Is he getting back with her now?

[Edit: So yeah, guy supposedly threw his and his (now-ex) wife's retirement into this game, thinking he'd reap huge profits selling the ships after release. If the house of cards goes down with his money still in there, I wouldn't be surprised about that outcome.]

Valatar fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 2, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

To be fair, to see a stop to progress towards a finished game, we'd need to see actual progress towards a finished game first.

They have made progress, on a multiplayer fps shooter intended for a console. However that is rather different from a PC based game about spaceships full of underage sex slaves.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's a badly run project but I think it's pretty obvious almighty Chris Roberts thinks that he will eventually make the best space game ever made if he can keep the money flowing.

There are people who have completely poo poo on the world, ruined lives, conned people, and even committed atrocities, who honestly believed they were the good guy doing the right thing.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

"Darling, I have a headache again but I promise I will open up those boxes in the garage as promised. See you later :)
I love you, Goodbye."

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Meanwhile the fund-o-meter seems un-impressed, about 58k spent in the last seven hours.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Well this thread moves fast.

There was one part of the Escapist Article that piqued my interest:

quote:

After Star Citizen's crowdfunding campaign was entered into the Guinness Book of World Records as the "Most Crowdfunded Project (Overall)," Turbulent released a statement on their website. In this statement Marc Beaudet, CEO of Turbulent, wrote "We thank Cloud Imperium Games for taking a risk with us and for contributing conceptually and commercially to making HEAP C3MS fantastic for content monetization."

"The opposite is true," Roberts says. "CIG benefited from pre-existing software that Turbulent had developed. Our JV with them allowed us access to cheaper rates and bound an important part of Star Citizen closer to CIG, which are both beneficial to CIG and the backers. Per our agreement Turbulent is of course free to offer their technology to other customers."

Of all the allegations being thrown around, this has more substance than others. It seems that Chris-R didn't notice that this comes from an official press release, because his response raises a lot of questions.

If Turbulent did misrepresent CIG's involvement, that seems like something that should be cleared up, especially since this supposedly-false statement has been out there for a year. And if the software existed before they started the JV, why does Turbulent need CIG's permission to sell it to others?

Also, hit pieces usually don't give their targets a chance for rebuttal in the same article.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

OhDearGodNo posted:

There are people who have completely poo poo on the world, ruined lives, conned people, and even committed atrocities, who honestly believed they were the good guy doing the right thing.

Lando, I'm already a demon

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

OhDearGodNo posted:

I sent my refund request on Sunday, still no response.

Yesterday, I sent a follow up since I hadn't heard anything.

Sent another this afternoon.

Still... silence.

A friend issued a refund request on the 26th and received his response requesting his give a reason on the 30th. He hasn't yet received a confirmation or denial.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Octopode posted:

I had a nice long response typed up to your previous post and the internet just ate it, but I'll respond to this again at least.

Evidence of forward progress towards the final game stopping. It wouldn't be hard to see, and it would be much better of evidence of monetary or company problems than anything Derek Smart posts.

I think that's a fair response. We'll have to wait and see what happens at Citcon.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

On another note, what happened to the SC reddit? It used to be a semi voice of reason- where the brown sea was mocked for their cult behavior and there were threads that would "keep devs honest."

When the DFM was delayed, that group was on their back.

Looking at it now, it's just a reflection of the brown sea, only much worse.

It's worse because anything that goes against the cult is quickly removed- either down voted or deleted.

It supports attacking Journalists and all kinds of outsiders who are offering a dissenting opinion. Even worse is that everyone who posts something not supporting Crobit's narrative is immediately outed as a Derek Smart alt.

Also the post in r/games is missing?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Today has been magical, thank you CIG and all others involved for this. Tomorrow is my birthday, so if we could get some more juicy stuff happening then, that'd just be perfect. :allears:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I really enjoy that there are people who are just releasing solid, or at least complete space games quietly while the battle of endor sized drama explosions are going on.

Angel's Fall First is fun. Though it's not complete it's 13.49 and will get 13.49 worth of enjoyment as is.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

OhDearGodNo posted:

On another note, what happened to the SC reddit? It used to be a semi voice of reason- where the brown sea was mocked for their cult behavior and there were threads that would "keep devs honest."

It's worse because anything that goes against the cult is quickly removed- either down voted or deleted.

It supports attacking Journalists and all kinds of outsiders who are offering a dissenting opinion. Even worse is that everyone who posts something not supporting Crobit's narrative is immediately outed as a Derek Smart alt.

Redditors happened.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

pro click

e: that was for the interview audio

big nipples big life fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 2, 2015

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

This is the most absurd nonsense I've ever seen in any game community in my entire life. These are literally the people that get caught up in pyramid schemes and cults, their inability to see some basic logic with their purchases and what has been produced so far is mind boggling.

I think we as a Goon community are really looking at this all wrong, we shouldn't be poking fun we should be looking to make 'fan renderings' of Star Citizen merchandise and selling it to these people, they obviously have income to piss away.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

Of all the allegations being thrown around, this has more substance than others. It seems that Chris-R didn't notice that this comes from an official press release, because his response raises a lot of questions.

If Turbulent did misrepresent CIG's involvement, that seems like something that should be cleared up, especially since this supposedly-false statement has been out there for a year. And if the software existed before they started the JV, why does Turbulent need CIG's permission to sell it to others?

Also, hit pieces usually don't give their targets a chance for rebuttal in the same article.

There's an old interview from Chris Roberts from a couple of years ago when he mentions expanding the Star Citizen fund raising idea and selling it to other companies. I think his lawyer buddy mentioned it too in an interview. I'll maybe see if I can find them again tomorrow.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Angel's Fall First is fun. Though it's not complete it's 13.49 and will get 13.49 worth of enjoyment as is.

The devs are pretty active in playing on it also. One of them demanded i fly the battleship in which i can only assume was assisted suicide because i loving sandwiched that loving thing between another cap ship and an asteroid.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

this thread is beautiful :vince:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

hey I have an LTI 325i package and a 4-digit backer number how much will morons pay me for this

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

OhDearGodNo posted:

This is speculative but I blame the moderation team being co-opted by the "Imperial News Network" guys who are basically trying to be the wowhead or NGNG for Star Citizen.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Justin Tyme posted:

this thread is beautiful :vince:

If you like it so much, why don't you marry it?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Jesus God and all the saints, I go to work and come back to this. What a glorious time to be alive :allears:

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

OhDearGodNo posted:

It got popular.
Popular = reddit downvotes for anyone not going along with the status quo.
Then people started demanding "censorship".
The rest is history.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I actually cannot bring myself to read past the first couple sentences of Roberts' response it's just too embarrassing.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

SirPhoebos posted:

I mentioned something similar in the last thread. CIG was thinking of making the crowdfunding platform available to others, this was already mentioned once by CR himself years ago in one of his talks to other devs. The way they structured their legal entities could hint at that they were planning to do more than just ship one game most probably they idea was to turn their success model into a product.

Ortwin F. was CEO at Capella Films who were quite proficient to setup revenue streams through partnerships and thus driving down productions costs. I assume that CIG has/had similar thoughts.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I actually cannot bring myself to read past the first couple sentences of Roberts' response it's just too embarrassing.

I thought was just me, I tried to read it all about 6 times and have given up.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Sarsapariller posted:

This is speculative but I blame the moderation team being co-opted by the "Imperial News Network" guys who are basically trying to be the wowhead or NGNG for Star Citizen.

Yep, Hype News Network totally sucked up to CIG.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
Beer needs to put up the stages of denial in the OP.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Well Beer certainly knows that we all expect his last magnus opus: translating the chairman's final gibberish into ork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
I'm in for a little over $200 because I am a big idiot, can I get a refund on everything except my original <60$ pledge? Can you pick and choose your refund like that? My original pledge was June 27, 2013. Thanks for any help/advice I can get.

• Locked thread