Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I did notice that Chris sub-titled his essay "The Long Troll" though.

I wonder how long he's been keeping that in his pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Truecon420 posted:

I'm in for a little over $200 because I am a big idiot, can I get a refund on everything except my original <60$ pledge? Can you pick and choose your refund like that? My original pledge was June 27, 2013. Thanks for any help/advice I can get.

lol

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
All this debate on sources and substantiated rumors and whatever don't loving matter. That Chris Roberts responded AT ALL is so beyond dumb as all gently caress that at the end of the day, Croberts responding at all colors my perception on everything that dude does. If he's so dumb that he responds at all and like he did then he has no hope of managing people when he can't manage his own idiot emotions.

Truecon420 posted:

I'm in for a little over $200 because I am a big idiot, can I get a refund on everything except my original <60$ pledge? Can you pick and choose your refund like that? My original pledge was June 27, 2013. Thanks for any help/advice I can get.

You can do that yeah, request refunds for parts. But why wouldn't you just try to get refunded for everything? You can go ahead and come up with a reason as to why.
If the game does come out you can buy it then though and since it isn't pay 2 win you've got nothing to lose. LTI is also not important at all either soooo

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 2, 2015

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

What is the secret password to Citcon 2016 scene?

...fidelio

wait, no.... fidelity.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Goons :argh:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

In less than 24 hours, 1048 posts have been made in this thread.

What is going on?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
This is great. I spent exactly $0 on Star Citizen and I've gained a good deal of entertainment out of it.

I hope everyone that spend money on a virtual space ship will learn something about this and about themselves.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

This is speculative but I blame the moderation team being co-opted by the "Imperial News Network" guys who are basically trying to be the wowhead or NGNG for Star Citizen.

I'm reading one of the threads there and the they're postings how Crobit's post made them cry.

A letter to a journalist about a video game brought multiple people to tears.

Given other events today in the US, I cannot fathom how it would be THAT which brings someone to tears.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

SirPhoebos posted:

Well this thread moves fast.

There was one part of the Escapist Article that piqued my interest:

Of all the allegations being thrown around, this has more substance than others. It seems that Chris-R didn't notice that this comes from an official press release, because his response raises a lot of questions.

If Turbulent did misrepresent CIG's involvement, that seems like something that should be cleared up, especially since this supposedly-false statement has been out there for a year. And if the software existed before they started the JV, why does Turbulent need CIG's permission to sell it to others?

Also, hit pieces usually don't give their targets a chance for rebuttal in the same article.

This was covered earlier--the software was extant, but CIG has funded considerable development and improvement. Turbulent gave them reduced rates in exchange for Turbulent retaining the license to redistribute and sell those improvements to others instead of CIG maintaining exclusive rights to them.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

KakerMix posted:

You can do that yeah, request refunds for parts. But why wouldn't you just try to get refunded for everything? You can go ahead and come up with a reason as to why.
If the game does come out you can buy it then though and since it isn't pay 2 win you've got nothing to lose. LTI is also not important at all either soooo

I want to be able to feel it crash and burn first hand. Maybe as a lesson on how not to be stupid with my money. Maybe test how terrible the alpha/beta is if it ever comes out. Basically, for no logical reason

Truecon420 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 2, 2015

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Luigi Thirty posted:

hey I have an LTI 325i package and a 4-digit backer number how much will morons pay me for this

Legit response: black market accounts don't sell at all anymore, and typically you have to let go of the email address you used to register them.

If the package is a game package you can probably clear $175.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Potato Salad posted:

In less than 24 hours, 1048 posts have been made in this thread.

What is going on?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/14715-CIG-Employees-Talk-Star-Citizen-and-the-State-of-the-Company

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14979-Chairmans-Response-To-The-Escapist

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

If anyone is still going to Citizen Con, please take an air horn and await your moment of glory.

When would be the best moments?

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Truecon420 posted:

I was successful in asking for a partial pledge. A friend of mine is still waiting on his partial refund, possibly because his "investment" was much bigger.

And before anyone asks... the stuff left over on my account is so tied up in grey market laundering, melting, unmelting, etc. that I just decided "gently caress it, I'm in the black anyway" and decide to let what's left stay on the hype train until it crashes into Reality Valley.

Now I just need to decide what to do with my profits. I was thinking about GTA V or Angels Fall First, but I could get a PS4 + all the Lego Dimensions sets instead. In comparison to Star Citizen, that game seems very reasonably priced! :shepspends:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

All this debate on sources and substantiated rumors and whatever don't loving matter. That Chris Roberts responded AT ALL is so beyond dumb as all gently caress that at the end of the day, Croberts responding at all colors my perception on everything that dude does. If he's so dumb that he responds at all and like he did then he has no hope of managing people when he can't manage his own idiot emotions.

I read part of the drivel he wrote and I realised CRoberts is an idiot. For all the money and time spent the project should be finished, yet here we are with Derek Smart trolling an internet spaceship project that reads like a comedy article.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Goredema posted:

I was successful in asking for a partial pledge. A friend of mine is still waiting on his partial refund, possibly because his "investment" was much bigger.

And before anyone asks... the stuff left over on my account is so tied up in grey market laundering, melting, unmelting, etc. that I just decided "gently caress it, I'm in the black anyway" and decide to let what's left stay on the hype train until it crashes into Reality Valley.

NOw I just need to decide what to do with my profits. I was thinking about GTA V or Angels Fall First, but I could get a PS4 + all the Lego Dimensions sets instead. In comparison to Star Citizen, that game seems very reasonably priced! :shepspends:

What about putting it into a saving's account?

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
As a casual observer it seems almost unbelievable that a legit company would publish something like that on their website. The article doesn't really matter, that rant is like a textbook example of how to not respond to a hit piece/criticism/slander.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
This is utterly absurd, Roberts proves himself to be such a loving tool with his response and the response from the faithful is utterly baffling. I sure hope that this wakes up more of the silent majority so that more people get refunds, I can't wait to see the stories from inside CGI when this implodes.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Incombibulator posted:

When would be the best moments?

a) when something in the presentation crashes
b) when Chris says "let's have some drinks!"
c) "two weeks"

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

sorla78 posted:

What about putting it into a saving's account?

Jesus, it's not enough to retire on. Plus everything I spent on Christ Roberts Presents: Christ Roberts' Space Game Featuring Christ Roberts was money out of my "buy video games and other stupid poo poo" budget category, so it would feel wrong to spend it on something sensible.

Oh well, even though Star Citizen looks like it might fail, at least I still have my Kickstarter pledge for Confederate Express. I haven't seen any updates in quite a while, but I'm sure it'll be kick-rear end once it's released!

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

Legit response: black market accounts don't sell at all anymore, and typically you have to let go of the email address you used to register them.

If the package is a game package you can probably clear $175.

While the new digital pixel art is up - you can sell RSI credit at 80% right now which works for locked packages. Buy an Aurora with paypal, pad it up to a tracker with CCU's (I think MR-->Mustang Alpha>LN>Hornet>Tracker) and sell for melt.
LT ships are barely moving at cost.

Either that or request a refund from CIG. But don't do both. I suspect if someone onsells credits, then claims a refund or does a VISA pull, credits are pulled from whoever they ended up with with a fraud case.

Jethro_E7 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 2, 2015

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
I should have cashed out a few months ago, poo poo. Could have gotten 100 bux plus from my $30 investment. Now it's a lot less but still a positive ROI for my spaceship futures. This game is a really intense economic simulation.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Magical Zero posted:

As a casual observer it seems almost unbelievable that a legit company would publish something like that on their website. The article doesn't really matter, that rant is like a textbook example of how to not respond to a hit piece/criticism/slander.

Most probably a combination of CR being overworked, the refunds snowballing and Derek Smart's relentless Twitter-Lingchi, the death of a thousand cuts. That Escapist article might have made him finally snap. Seeing how no one can keep the chairman in check, he did what he felt he had to do. He was also travelling to Manchester, thus I think someone like Ortwin F wasn't around to talk the Chairman down.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

owns

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

sorla78 posted:

Most probably a combination of CR being overworked, the refunds snowballing and Derek Smart's relentless Twitter-Lingchi, the death of a thousand cuts. That Escapist article might have made him finally snap. Seeing how no one can keep the chairman in check, he did what he felt he had to do. He was also travelling to Manchester, thus I think someone like Ortwin F wasn't around to talk the Chairman down.

Claiming that CR has been working is a bit of a stretch. All he's done for 3 years is jabber nonsense and promise an ever increasing feature list while not starting the project.

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

The Messiah posted:

What we are delivering now, just on the Squadron 42 side is more akin to a huge AAA game that would retail for $60 by itself. The value for money that people are getting for a $40 pledge is pretty crazy.

Crazy value. Imagine the value people got for a $20K pledge! Just imagine...

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
Look, trust me on this. It's hard being wired on coke all the time and reacting sensibly to things.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

Devian666 posted:

Claiming that CR has been working is a bit of a stretch. All he's done for 3 years is jabber nonsense and promise an ever increasing feature list while not starting the project.

He HAS been working hard.

quote:

"Conservatively it’s taken me about eight hours to write. This is time I could have spent working on the game instead of dealing with a Derek Smart instigated drama." - Chris Roberts

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jethro_E7 posted:

He HAS been working hard.

For six hours this morning, with a computer screen behind him blaring the escapist article generating the only light in the room, Chris Roberts stared endlessly at a white board with only the words DEREK SMART written in the center. At hour seven, Chris had his answer; next to SMART he wrote " = GAMERGATE"

The next hour was spent typing

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
He spent 8 hours writing a turd and there's less than an hours worth of writing content. He should have just put it aside and written up something less retarded in a day or two.

He could have spent that time working on SC and it would have been the first time he'd worked on it in 3 years.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

:perfect:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I tend to believe it when people say Chris works manically, which in this case means smashing his way into the crevices of each project and dismantling the things he doesn't like without even talking to the people who made it to figure out why it was made, then leaving just as quickly to go take a giant poo poo and vomit combo on the next project, etc. etc., but then with lots of coke and caffeine to the point where he sounds like Christopher Lloyd at the end of Who Framed Roger Rabbit whenever he has to reexplain his vision to some lowly engineer he's about to fire.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
But I, being spoor, have only my space dreams
I have spread my space dreams under your space feet
Space tread softly, because you space tread on my space dreams

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Lol at all the folks scrambling for their refunds now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfkNvOOiZ_8

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Haha there's a guy in this thread who's one of those "Forbes lets anyone post on their site, it doesn't mean anything!" dudes.

Even the Forbes blogs go through the Forbes editorial process, and the same 2 or 3 freelancers have been writing for and getting paid by Forbes for years.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Goredema posted:

This seems like an appropriate time to contribute some new content to the thread. Linked below is audio from Michael "Viewmaster" Morlan, former employee of CIG and current employee of Descendent Studios. In this exclusive interview, he details the parties responsible for Star Citizen''s failure.

Michael Morlan interview about the failure of Star Citizen

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Holy poo poo. This is the most damning evidence yet.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
The abridged response:

Chris Roberts, CEO posted:

So why is it for you guys? Do you really want to give a platform to Derek Smart? Why aren’t you doing a piece on the state of Line of Defense? Why the rush to publish with or without our comments by noon today? What’s so urgent that you can’t take a little time to actually approach this like responsible journalists and do proper fact checking, get both sides of the story and only publish verifiable claims that have proof?

Gamer Gate. This is directed at a self-avowed feminist.

Gamer Gate.

Why the rush to publish an article without allowing a proper round of fact and source checking?

Gamer Gate.

So why? You have to ask yourself why? What does he have to gain? He didn’t like how I was running Star Citizen? Is it ego? A sense of self-importance? The fact that he’s getting attention again after being in the wilderness?

Gamer Gate.

And you know what? Why? So he’s trying to put 261 people out of a job and destroy the dreams of almost a million people? For a personal vendetta? To gain some notoriety? Because he’s jealous that people love my games and ridicule his? Here you have a 100% gamer funded project on the PC, a platform that almost every publisher ignored or pushed crappy console ports to and you have a game in a genre that everyone said was dead to a level that no publisher would dare to – and you want to harm it? Shouldn’t the press be cheering on these kinds of games?

How do you or they know this? Which employees said this and what makes them qualified to make that judgement? What concerns expressed prior to launching the Kickstarter? So may I ask where did these concerns come from? Is this the FAQ line you’re talking about? Could we have shipped a small scale 30 mission game in the old Wing Commander format in two years?

So why are people making a deal about me having these things now? Why is she being singled out? Because she’s my wife? A woman? Where does this come from? Has anyone given you examples of “big name” actors or numbers? Where are you getting this from? Have you guys really looked at what you can do right now in the game? What do you hope to achieve by running with an article like this? What good do you hope will come out of it? Are you looking to cast assertions on our chance of success? What’s the point of unfounded conjecture and innuendo from biased parties? So? Shouldn’t you just let us get on with it? So why is it for you guys?

What the gently caress did he think would come of this bewildered trainwreck of a response. Rather than disprove the concerns that have been brought up, he deflects every allegation with questions of "who told you this" and "show me you have proof of this," all while attempting to discredit any critics. It's not a good way to inspire confidence.

Chocobo fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 2, 2015

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
"I understand the thought process that states individuals who pledged money to a potential game should know what they're getting into, but there's a level of transparency missing from the Star Citizen project. When it comes to crowdfunding, transparency is the most important thing. Otherwise, we may be looking at one of the most disastrous video game projects of all time."

http://www.gamerevolution.com/manifesto/star-citizen-showcases-the-dangers-of-crowdfunding-35101

CR missed the point of "open development"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Why isn't all journalism spineless pandering indeed.

• Locked thread