Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Manor Top with Qirex is, indeed, great. It's just more satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwind
May 20, 2010
huzzah! new video. also, my mic sounds like poo poo.

if anyone is interested, here's a quick playlist of the DJ Sasha Team Theme tracks from Wipeout 3: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-mhO_TrlQ7WYTj6cmHtHAc9-N4y8n5jH

Also, I can't remember, do you get and maps of the tracks in Wip3out? because some bits of Manor Top are going to look really weird on one. Couldn't quite hold the shape of the track in my mind with all those 90degree turns.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
When I first heard "Manor Top", I was immediately reminded of an area that a former friend of mine used to live in in Sheffield. Kinda disappointed that the track is not full of futuristic chavs threatening to stab you.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Hoss Corncave posted:

When I first heard "Manor Top", I was immediately reminded of an area that a former friend of mine used to live in in Sheffield. Kinda disappointed that the track is not full of futuristic chavs threatening to stab you.

Well, that seems like a perfectly logical segue to some news!

THE WIPEOUT TEAM HAVE RETURNED

Not the whole lot, obviously, but enough, and there is a game being kickstarted right now, which, if the KS succeeds, will a) Be on PC, b) Be on PC sometime in 2016, and c) I will LP the poo poo out of it as an aside to whatever game I'm in the middle of (Probably Fusion)

Also, Niggurath quite helpfully linked me to a Wipeout Model/Track viewer, and from there, I was able to find the creator's explanation of how he did it. Well worth a read.

That is the news.

Razorwind posted:

huzzah! new video. also, my mic sounds like poo poo.

if anyone is interested, here's a quick playlist of the DJ Sasha Team Theme tracks from Wipeout 3: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-mhO_TrlQ7WYTj6cmHtHAc9-N4y8n5jH

Also, I can't remember, do you get and maps of the tracks in Wip3out? because some bits of Manor Top are going to look really weird on one. Couldn't quite hold the shape of the track in my mind with all those 90degree turns.

Ah, many thanks for the playlist, and your mic only sounds bad because somehow, my voice ended up echoing on your audacity track, and it's been an absolute cock and a half to get rid of (Which made both our voices sound kinda eh.) Also, as far as a map of Wipeout 3's Manor Top goes, our old friend WipeoutCentral has us covered!

...Looks so darn simple, don't it? :v:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I like the look of Manor Top, and I like the sawtooth section.

Razorwind
May 20, 2010

Great Joe posted:

I like the look of Manor Top, and I like the sawtooth section.

yeah, if you can hit it right and just drift through that sawback, it is pretty satisfying.

JamieTheD posted:

Well, that seems like a perfectly logical segue to some news!

THE WIPEOUT TEAM HAVE RETURNED

Not the whole lot, obviously, but enough, and there is a game being kickstarted right now, which, if the KS succeeds, will a) Be on PC, b) Be on PC sometime in 2016, and c) I will LP the poo poo out of it as an aside to whatever game I'm in the middle of (Probably Fusion)

Also, Niggurath quite helpfully linked me to a Wipeout Model/Track viewer, and from there, I was able to find the creator's explanation of how he did it. Well worth a read.

That is the news.

I... whoah, that track viewer thing is cool. and I don't think i've really seen the pilot logos before.

nice to see the Wipeout-y kick starter has got Cold Storage on board.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Slight bump to keep the thread going, should be more videos soon...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Wow, I've totally missed out on this thread for like, 6 months. Mea Culpa.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

This is a good thread and I hope it keeps on going for many more months. :)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it'll keep going forever. JamieTheD has been cursed to always LP it all the time.

Razorwind
May 20, 2010
As long as there is 'Future Racing', wierd or otherwise, Jamie will be on hand to play it.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

it'll keep going forever. JamieTheD has been cursed to always LP it all the time.

Oh nooooo... What's... Happening to me? It's...

Classic Track 7 - Odessa Keys

Text Link

MUSIC : Body In Motion - CoLD SToRAGE
CO-COMMENTATOR - Razorwind

NOTE: This is the last vid with the old mic, apologies for the audio quality!

Odessa Keys in Wipeout XL was fun, but definitely had its difficult moments. Now it's just fun, and easy to abuse to boot. As we noted in Phenitia Park, Hyperboost means you can turbo whenever you have the shields to do so, and there are two shortcuts you can take in this map that entirely skip sections of the track. Boosting from the ramp after the hill climb and sharp right allows you to, if you're good, skip the false chicane and the tunnel, while boosting from the ramp leading to the final U-turn, if you're good with your air control, will land you smack dab in the pit-stop, where a hard airbrake right will save you a good few seconds.

Also shown is, as far as I'm aware, our first proper Out of Bounds (The others were collision errors). You'll notice two things about the Rescue Drone. Firstly, it has rotors. I have no idea what's up with that. Secondly, it is much faster than its predecessors, and we'll see, as we go further in the series, that this is a change that not only lasts, but is improved. In a sense. You still lose time, but it's only enough for someone already close enough to capitalise on (IE - They're a corner or two away)... Sooooo, in Rapier, against AI, it matters not a jot. :v:

Sadly, the Black Sea is quite literal in this case, just as it was in XL. Ah well, an actual night-time sea would have tanked the frame rate to hell and back, so I really can't diss Psygnosis for cutting corners there.

Meanwhile, Announcement Time! Formula Fusion is in Early Access right now. Currently only one track, one craft, and race colours, but this video should hopefully show you that yes, speed records are already being set. FML, I'm not sure I can top this. The devs apparently can't yet, citing PBs of 2:24-28... :negative:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

JamieTheD posted:

Meanwhile, Announcement Time!
Colour me psyched! :woop:

That was a cool bit of glitching you did with those ramps, I wonder if they kept on doing that physics weirdness in Fusion and onwards?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Future Racing Is Weird: Physics? :allears: PHYSIIIIICS! :argh: (Nitronic Rush and Hover Ace)

Hover Ace

Oh, Hover Ace. What the hell is wrong with you? I'll tell you what's wrong with you... Your physics are appalling, your races are a crapshoot, your weapon targetting has a minimum range as well as a maximum, and you have easily missable checkpoints. Sure, you don't have much of a difficulty curve, due to not having to place first to continue, but that's a problem too. Published in 2003 by 1C Games, Hover Ace still costs £10 to buy, and this is almost criminal. Thankfully, I got it in a sale, so less than a quid, but still... I suffered in the making of this video, Biscuit and I both suffered in the co-commentary, so I think it's only fair that you suffer along with us.

Honestly, when so many bad design decisions hit one game at once, you have to wonder what was being thought here. 2003 was the year after Wipeout Fusion had been released. Jet Ion GP was released the same year as this. G-Surfers. Quantum Redshift. All of these are better games that could have been played around the same time. Even A.I.M. Racing (Released four years later, in 2007, and is also somewhat cheap) does far better.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's worse than MegaRace though. Some words just can't be taken back.

Nitronic Rush

Despite the Tron stylings of the game, and the admitted Wipeout influence declared by the devs (Also Rush 2049, on which the game's puzzle stylings are based), it's also hard to argue Nitronic Rush as a true Future Racing Game, or even a proper racer. So why is it included? Simple: It's one of the more innovative racing games we've seen in a long time, and in a genre not exactly known for its innovation, either.

Nitronic Rush has just as much of the puzzler about it as the racer, because your car is also a Transformer. Not in the “Oh, it turns into a robo-dude” sense, more in the Sonic Racing sense, because you can change whether it flies, leaps, and whatnot to get through the tracks quicker. It's clever, and I'd like to show you how clever. Especially since a sequel is in the works, and I like to reward innovation in game design. The fact that I forget the F(light) key exists does this game a disservice. Go play it, it's free. Then, if you liked it, go get Distance, its sequel, for actual cashmoney. Let the devs know you like experimentation too.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 7, 2015

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Welcome back Jamie.

There were a lot of bad racing games back when desk mounted steering wheels were common.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

:swoon:

I have an unending amount of love for Nitronic Rush and Distance. First thing's first: you can download it on nitronic-rush.com.

Now, the odd thing about Nitronic Rush is that the people behind it hadn't really played all that many racing games before making it. I think Jordan played a lot of Gran Turismo and Crash Team Racing and between him and Kyle, both of them played a good deal of Rush 2049 and Burnout 3, but the main inspirations behind Nitronic Rush besides Rush 2049 were from other genres. They've actually had quite a lot of instances where they're attending a convention at an indie booth or something and somebody would come up to them namedropping similar games that they'd never even heard of. You can hear more about that in this interview link.

There was a very early prototype version of Nitronic Rush with a few key differences. For one, every action besides steering and acceleration was limited by pickups, so you'd have to find jump pickups, booster pickups, flight pickups etc. This was quickly changed when they started working on a proper submission version. The car also looked way different in that it was a perfectly ordinary modern sedan.

There's a separate single player mode called Hardcore that teaches and tests very advanced techniques such as riding on walls, jumping far by boosting and angling the car upwards and transferring between two vertical surfaces without dropping down. These techniques weren't really an intended part of the game, they were found in testing - which they got plenty of, since the game was sort of a campus darling - and Team Nitronic decided to roll with it. The game's speedrunning community was also most attracted to this mode because of its difficulty and the shortness of the tracks, provided you could finish them in one go.

Shortly after it was released, fans found a level editor in the files for Nitronic Rush. It wasn't really meant to be found, but a good deal of updates to the game included one or two community-made tracks that were picked out by the devs. Unless I'm mistaken, they were all harder than the official levels, most of them unfairly so, but a few of the contributors on these levels did blossom into making genuinely good tracks for Distance.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 8, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
drat, Nitronic Rush looks like a pretty amazing puzzle racer, which I feel is kind of an underappreciated genre.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wait... you played Hover Ace without using the time acceleration in the options? It's the only way to endure the first races until you unlock slightly less lovely stuff. The crap you unlock with tech levels includes speed boosters and explosive boxes. You need a tech level for explosives in a futuristic race.
"Don't do normal racing strategies" also applies to your vehicles. HA is a game where you can easily win on the slowest crate as long as your firepower in enough to kill everyone who jumps ahead, and even if they're too fast the rubber banding won't let them escape.

Nitronic Rush is really fun, I remember beating one of the early releases.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I remember the run of Nitronic Rush at AGDQ or SGDQ last year. The way they used the buildings to speed through that game was really impressive.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Track 8: Terminal (Rapier, Assegai)

Text Link

CO-COMMENTATOR: Nine Gear Crow
MUSIC: Underworld - Kittens

Assegai are a West-African corporation, and exclusively train and field african pilots. Their craft is one of the more unique designs of the game, with an asymmetrical cockpit placement, and features reminiscent of the African short spear the corporation is named after. Terminal, in the meantime, is actually a bit of a break after Odessa Keys, being a relatively chill final track for the final obstacle to Phantom mode.

And what's our reward for completing all the Rapier single tracks? Why, it's a single Prototype track! Specifically, we get this one for getting gold with every track... and every craft. That's 64 Rapier races of varying (but generally increasing) difficulty, for reference. And you get one Prototype track per speed class. Luckily for you, I've already unlocked all six (yes, there are two others you can unlock)!

Classic Track 8: Arridos IV (Rapier, Goteki-45)

Text Link

CO-COMMENTATOR: Nine Gear Crow
MUSIC: Sasha – Xpander (EP Version)

And so, we come full circle. From G-45 to G-45, from the first track to the last. Well, I say last, we all know the Prototype tracks are there to be done, but as far as main tracks go? We're done.

Honestly, Arridos IV is another example of the differing physics making a challenging track... Well, less challenging. The bumps aren't too much of a problem (Although pinballing still is), the crossover jumps are less problematic, the ramps are, due to the way they work now, less dire... It's a victory lap, more than anything else. But y'know what? It's nice to get back to Arridos. So let's enjoy the ride. Next time, it's First Person Mode Wipeout League Phantom Recap (All Craft!)

Hope y'all are gonna enjoy it! :)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Congrats on putting another Wipeout game to bed, Jamie. On to the next one!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wipeout 3 is when I basically stopped playing Wipeout, and even Wipeout 3 wasn't exactly something I played a lot of, so I'm interested to see where the series went from there.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I knew the whole backstory about Goteki 45's island getting bombed, but the deceleration bug being explained by the devs in later games as those teams using banned parts is genius.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Hoss Corncave posted:

I knew the whole backstory about Goteki 45's island getting bombed, but the deceleration bug being explained by the devs in later games as those teams using banned parts is genius.

:allears: Isn't it just? Anyways, update wise, I'm working on the phantom/first person mode video this weekend, and the cheat video as well, the prototype tracks will come after, and I'll also be working on the Fusion vids/Timeline (The first one is mostly done, and the intro's already done. The timeline needs a teeny bit of work, because working out who was born when is a bit of a git. Some of them, after all, aren't technically "Born." :drac:). That, the other LP, and the reviews that are due this weekend too, means I'll be a busy chappie. Pray for me, as I already have a bleeding heavy cold. :argh:

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

JamieTheD posted:

:allears: Isn't it just? Anyways, update wise, I'm working on the phantom/first person mode video this weekend, and the cheat video as well, the prototype tracks will come after, and I'll also be working on the Fusion vids/Timeline (The first one is mostly done, and the intro's already done. The timeline needs a teeny bit of work, because working out who was born when is a bit of a git. Some of them, after all, aren't technically "Born." :drac:). That, the other LP, and the reviews that are due this weekend too, means I'll be a busy chappie. Pray for me, as I already have a bleeding heavy cold. :argh:

It kinda reminds me of in Assassin's Creed II when they explained a few things in the manual and at the start of the game like the inability for the ancestor to swim and the lack of subtitles as bugs in the Animus that were fixed now by Rebecca's new code.

As for the cold, that sucks. Hope you get better soon, and don't push yourself too hard.

Razorwind
May 20, 2010
not long till Fusion then, and the joy of everyone else getting the quake.

interested to see the Wipeout 3 prototype tracks, don't think I ever got there back in the day. or now.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Aye, working on putting together the two most important vids before prototypes, but in the meantime, something that's going to be added to the thread, for everyone's enjoyment. As part of the 20th anniversary of Wipeout, WipeoutZone got a lil' prezzie from an ex Wipeout dev: The original Design Document. You can find it Here, and it's a helluva read. Especially of note are the technical designs... See, there are differences between the craft! :allears:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

I have but two simple things to say.

1) I'M BACK...
2) ...But I don't know how long for, as poo poo has gotten real. Does that mean I'm going to stop making videos and reviews? No, because now, more than before, my rear end depends on that, and I have a setup that can do it.

Not gonna say anything else, because nothing else really needs to be said. Expect Phantom real drat soon.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
You have my sympathy. The Job Centre is one of the most depressing places on the planet, and they're usually completely unsympathetic to anyone and everyone who walks through their doors. It's all about targets and getting people off their books, so decent people get screwed over.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

You know what time it is?

FIRST PERSON PHANTOM MODE FUNTIME, THAT'S WHAT TIME IT IS! (MOTION SICKNESS WARNING ON BOTH VIDEOS)

Yes! Making love to walls like never before, Phantom Mode returns, and I... Forgot how much faster it appears in First Person Mode. There are twists! Surprises! 3-Point Turns (In the sense of damaging the floor, the bulkhead, and the craft)! Also, y'know, technical difficulties. Sigh. Nonetheless, I have doubled down here, as not only is it Phantom [FLEX], not only is it First Person [FLEX], it's doing the tracks with the craft in direct order. So Porto Korra is FEISAR, all the way to Terminal being raced as Icaras.

But through it all, I remain (relatively) calm, through the magic of post-commentary. I don't really think you'd have been as entertained by an hour straight of violently screamed profanity.

PART THE FIRST
PART THE SECOND

Next up shall be the cheats, then the Prototypes (Co-Commentators, PM/Skype me for that!), and then... Fusion.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 6, 2015

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can't even use first person cameras in racing games that don't take place at several hundred km/h, not to mention the camera tilt. I probably used it for 1 race way back in the first Wipeout before dropping it forever. Even having not played Wipeout 3 I'm pretty sure, even in third person mode, my method of steering would be similar to the Phantom in XL, that is to say basically being a wall guided missile.

Razorwind
May 20, 2010
The first person cockpit designs are pretty good. Disappointing you can't see bits of the ships from the cockpit, but at least they don't force you to play with the ship's usual hitbox.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

Wow, I've totally missed out on this thread for like, 6 months. Mea Culpa.

I have no good excuse for why I ignore this thread lately for so long. Regardless, fun to see a mega update played the way I always play it.

What motivated me to look again probably more than anything, is I was bored and looking at emulation stuff last night, and found out that what is apparently the best Sega Saturn emulator out there runs a lot of discs pretty cleanly, if you have the original physical copy. Including a certain future racing title that I do still have, and might have to investigate the potential with. Just saying that I need to do further investigating and experimentation, but I might have a contribution to come into...

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

I have no good excuse for why I ignore this thread lately for so long. Regardless, fun to see a mega update played the way I always play it.

What motivated me to look again probably more than anything, is I was bored and looking at emulation stuff last night, and found out that what is apparently the best Sega Saturn emulator out there runs a lot of discs pretty cleanly, if you have the original physical copy. Including a certain future racing title that I do still have, and might have to investigate the potential with. Just saying that I need to do further investigating and experimentation, but I might have a contribution to come into...

Well, it could have something to do with my poor update schedule. But fear not, that's past now, we'll be dealing with cheats later this week, Prototype Tracks next week, and Fusion, with a little luck, the week after (With a short FRIW interlude happening at some point)!

...At least, that's what I hope happens (Still in a sticky wicket, for RL reasons.) In any case, a contribution like that is welcomed! It gladdens my heart to hear people like the First Person camera, and glad to hear that at least one other person is a member of the Church of Wallbanging. :allears:

As to the FRIW segment, I should be able to now record Quantum Rush Champions, although you'll unfortunately have to take my word for it that the physics are framerate dependent, and that does cause problems (On the older PC, had trouble getting even 6th on many Tier 1 races. Now? I can usually hit at least fourth unless AI douchery is involved), and, as to the other game, I was thinking A.I.M. Racing.

Formula Fusion and Radial-G FRIW segments won't be for a while yet, both due to current financial state (Yes, they signed me off. As UK Goons may well expect, they "sent lots of letters", but can't explain how my mail arrived except for the majority of said "lots of letters." Exploring options, but obviously a tadge irritable right now. So Radial-G has to wait until that's sorted), and the state of Formula Fusion (Last I checked, still only on 0.0.5 ... But that's fine), but they will turn up if I have anything to say about the matter before the end of Fusion. :)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

For the record, I'm talking about an entirely different game I MIGHT end up with FRIW recordability. Again, I have to experiment with technology so we'll see. I'll get back to you on that.

UPDATE: I can get the game to play perfectly. Next see if I can get decent at the courses again (not that hard) and see if DXTory will play nice with it recording. Jamie, PM me for more info about this.

Choco1980 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 18, 2015

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

I always thought SSF was the best Saturn emulator out there. Yabuse and Satourne were okay, but not as good as SSF though. I may be wrong.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Right. I've been playing around with it, and the main issue is that you need a physical copy if you want no trouble. I still have my old saturn games, but that's only like ten or twelve titles.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I still have all my Saturn games, and when I ripped certain ones to ISOs, they worked pretty well. Granted, it was mainly Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining the Holy Ark and Shining Force III, so I can't judge how well it works with futuristic racing games. I might rip 2097 and see if that's the case.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Gonna post in the Streaming thread when it's time, but at Midnight GMT (Approximately four hours from this post), I'll be streaming Quantum Rush Champions at http://hitbox.tv/jamiethed

Unfortunately, something you're gonna have to take my word on (Now that my PC and internets are both somewhat upgraded) is that the physics are somewhat framerate dependent, which means that you think you're doing well, but you're really not. So it's a flawed game off the bat. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Future Racing Is Weird: SUPER SPECIAL STREAM EDITION (Quantum Rush: Champions)

Text Link

Quantum Rush Champions is a game that leaves me speechless. If you'd never seen its earliest incarnation (Quantum Rush Online... A vid that shows the features is here) you'd be mistaken for thinking that GameArt Studios had just made some poor patching and developement decisions. But Quantum Rush Online wasn't bad at all. In fact, it was fairly promising.

And then, as expected of a racer, an SP campaign was asked for. And things got a bit odd. First, Quantum Rush Online was ditched. And QR: C, some assets aside, was, er... Built from scratch, with an entirely different customisation system that involved... Colour unlocks. Purple on the NMW craft, for example, requires getting Gold on a track. Thanks to other things going wrong with this game, such as a difficulty curve best described as "gently caress YOU, AND EVERYTHING YOU STAND FOR", physics and AI that are still somewhat framerate dependent, the inability to overwrite old saves, boss fights (Tricky at the best of times in a racer to both justify and properly implement), some odd keybinds, and...

:sigh: I could do this for some time, mentioning how hosed up it is that we can go from QR:O (Interesting, only slightly flawed, had no singleplayer) to QR:C (Frustrating, very flawed, has no multiplayer) , but... Just watch the video. Nine-Gear Crow and I suffered.

• Locked thread