Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Malleovic posted:

good god this thread has become absolute poo poo

It's actually insanely good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

:chanpop:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Malleovic posted:

true believer on an alt account

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Eonwe posted:

Honestly probably the best on the forums right now.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Eonwe posted:

there is only one thread better friend

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I finally caught up to the thread. Time for bed see you all tomorrow thanks for everything.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Schnorkles posted:

there is only one thread better friend

Show me.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Decrepus posted:

I finally caught up to the thread. Time for bed see you all tomorrow thanks for everything.

Image while you sleep what could happen next!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Eonwe posted:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Redditor claims Glassdoor reviews of CIG compromise the secret currently and formerly employees sources of Escapist's article.

Seems drat near impossible to believe that could be true-- though certain parallels exist.

How hilarious would it be, though, it the author was truly pulling a Stephen Glass on readers, and Chris Roberts responded to phantom, unveriable claims by Glassdoor posters unnecessarily?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

Redditor claims Glassdoor reviews of CIG compromise the secret currently and formerly employees sources of Escapist's article.

Seems drat near impossible to believe that could be true-- though certain parallels exist.

How hilarious would it be, though, it the author was truly pulling a Stephen Glass on readers, and Chris Roberts responded to phantom, unveriable claims by Glassdoor posters unnecessarily?

This is what I hope happened, because it'd be peak insanity.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Malleovic posted:

I agree brother I don't know about these guys but I thought every part was perfect CIG is a visionary and this game is going to redefine what it means to watch a video PC movie game in my homespace in both the outer and the inner net. See you in the verse citizen.

Truga posted:

This is what I hope happened, because it'd be peak insanity.

Do you think CR will edit his post and just put up 'disregard'?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

G0RF posted:

the claim is basically: "these glassdoor reviews mirror what we saw in the article, therefore what we saw in the article was from these glass door reviews". Wouldn't the simpler explanation be that the same people who are willing to talk about their experience on glassdoor would be the ones who are willing to be interviewed?

The guy trying to make a big deal about how recent the reviews are is also dumb - their have been a string of terminations that have occurred over the past couple weeks. There is no more sensible time for those reviews to exist than recently.

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 2, 2015

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

Looks like there was some direct copypasta from the "will give you PTSD" glassdoor review.

Hopefully DS's next blog will have something better than a rehash of all his old blogs then a summary of what happened between then and now. At what point do some of those emails start leaking out?

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 2, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dusty Lens posted:

Do you think CR will edit his post and just put up 'disregard'?

I don't know what would happen, but I hope to see it in action. I mean, if it ends up being true, his 10000000 word post gains a whole shitload of weight. That's not something Dr. Smart is going to take sitting down.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Didn't know Croberts was married to Sandi. Does he mind that Lesnick's grubby T-Rex arm sweat is all over her at the end of the day

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
Star Citizen: Derek Smart happened motherfucker

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

the claim is basically: "these glassdoor reviews mirror what we saw in the article, therefore what we saw in the article was from these glass door reviews". Wouldn't the simpler explanation be that the same people who are willing to talk about their experience on glassdoor would be the ones who are willing to be interviewed?
Yeah- I'm assuming they actually talked to employees, or exchanged emails. There's too much that's new there, signs that the author sought corroboration for claims. And it's pretty obvious-- despite the cheering from certain currently employees CIG folk, that there's a lot of misery in the air. (Eyerollgates 1 & 2.)

I'm just amused that the universe is conspiring to maximize the dumb no matter who did or didn't talk. It's perfect if these are real sources-- and perfect if Roberts is shadowboxing with phantom reviews submitted by Derek Smart, trolls or whoever.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

How much do I donate to get some dick pics?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So that Escapist article is actually giving out forum badges to the users who read it. Like, they are really loving proud of their article and they want to reward readers' e-peen for reading their stuff. To be honest though it is about the only actual story they've run in loving months that wasn't a repost of something else they trawled up on the Internet.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So I started following all of the drama recently, and I want to ask something about the intended scope of the game. Was the FPS/ ship boarding stuff part of the original kickstarter? Like did they originally pitch Eve, with a huge persistent world. And with dogfighting like this is world war 1, and the best weapon isnt a railgun launched past detection distance. And with important and interesting ai factions that can intelligently react to changing landscape created by user. And with the ability to walk around your huge ships and have your friends help you pilot the monstrosities. And also have other people be able to board your (huge) ship and then fight in a huge area that works well for an FPS, with interesting level design and poo poo. And to be able to track all of this poo poo, with poo poo like this happening constantly, in a single instance without sharding the player base into lots of small isolated servers?

Did they promise to do the things I laid out for 500k?

Because honestly, 100M sounds like a tiny budget to do all of that well

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The Glumslinger posted:

So I started following all of the drama recently, and I want to ask something about the intended scope of the game. Was the FPS/ ship boarding stuff part of the original kickstarter?

Yes, but it was supposed to be a tiny mini-game you'd do once or twice a week for 5 minutes at a time (and thus, it wouldn't matter if it was severely mediocre), not entirely its own game.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
Seriously it's not that bad here guys!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3n59ft/working_at_cig_from_a_cig_employee/

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The Glumslinger posted:

So I started following all of the drama recently, and I want to ask something about the intended scope of the game. Was the FPS/ ship boarding stuff part of the original kickstarter? Like did they originally pitch Eve, with a huge persistent world. And with dogfighting like this is world war 1, and the best weapon isnt a railgun launched past detection distance. And with important and interesting ai factions that can intelligently react to changing landscape created by user. And with the ability to walk around your huge ships and have your friends help you pilot the monstrosities. And also have other people be able to board your (huge) ship and then fight in a huge area that works well for an FPS, with interesting level design and poo poo. And to be able to track all of this poo poo, with poo poo like this happening constantly, in a single instance without sharding the player base into lots of small isolated servers?

The game as pitched in the original campaign and KS was basically Freelancer 2: The Lancening; a single player campaign in the form of Squadron 42 and an online semi-persistent online component. Once they exceeded their original funding goal and figured out they could basically trade promises for cash, the project went off the rails in a profound way as CRoberts kept pitching newer and increasingly absurd "features" to rake in that sweet nerd money.

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

The Glumslinger posted:

They promised all that at around the $5M mark (you could argue at the $20M, when planetside FPS was promised). So suffice it to say, they had/have no idea about the current costs of gamedev.

Check out all the goals here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

3 posted:

The game as pitched in the original campaign and KS was basically Freelancer 2: The Lancening; a single player campaign in the form of Squadron 42 and an online semi-persistent online component. Once they exceeded their original funding goal and figured out they could basically trade promises for cash, the project went off the rails in a profound way as CRoberts kept pitching newer and increasingly absurd "features" to rake in that sweet nerd money.

Ok, so can someone explain to me the original, day 0, kickstarter pitch? Because even looking at the page now, there looks like tons added poo poo. What was the core gameplay of it, for someone who never played Freelancer?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

90 million dollars is a good analogy for rotting rood and rusty nails hammered into a house by unqualified and untrained people.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Okay, so for someone who dips into these threads every now and then to see a trainwreck, has anything at all actually been released? I keep seeing talk about modules--is there at least a basic flying-around or dogfighting module that's been released, even as an alpha or beta?

Also, what on earth makes game development hemorrhage money? After you've sorted out your engine and licensing and hiring, isn't it just a matter of paying your people their salary for an extra year or two? That latest ship sale alone paid for another year of a mid-level artist or programmer.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Phenotype posted:

Okay, so for someone who dips into these threads every now and then to see a trainwreck, has anything at all actually been released? I keep seeing talk about modules--is there at least a basic flying-around or dogfighting module that's been released, even as an alpha or beta?

Also, what on earth makes game development hemorrhage money? After you've sorted out your engine and licensing and hiring, isn't it just a matter of paying your people their salary for an extra year or two? That latest ship sale alone paid for another year of a mid-level artist or programmer.

Pretty much scope creep and (apparently) endlessly revising already built assets.

But the real issue is there isn't much to talk about for the Cult Of The Faithful and the masses are restless.

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?
Star Citizen: Doctor Derek's Delicious Drama Debacle

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
There's only one thing to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zuEfmmCA5s

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer
So, I guess if its on glassdoor, then its all lies now :rolleyes:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Amun Khonsu posted:

So, I guess if its on glassdoor, then its all lies now :rolleyes:

It's all fun and games but seriously can we ban this gently caress. He's the weird foot fetish Brazilian isn't he?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

3 posted:

hi derek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88WL5MX1Co8
MP3 Here

code:
the legend lives on from the forums on down
of the game dev who made wing commander
the man they all say never quite found a way
to respond to the lies and the slander

from his backers he scored eighty-six million bucks more
though the promises made were quite empty
that company and crew was a bone to be chewed
when the blogs of october came early

the game was the pride of all nerdlings worldwide
spending all of their cash for no reason
as the kickstarters go it was bigger than most
with rewards and good stretch goals well seasoned

concluding some sales with a coupla' space whales
while their deadlines were still disappearing
come three years later when their twitter feeds rang
could it be derek smart they'd been fearing?

the forums online made a tattle-tale whine
with the subreddit frantically wailing
and every man knew as the chairman did too
t'was the goons of october come stealin'

the sale came late and the videos had to wait
though the hit in morale was a small one
when the article came it was more of the same
in the face of a million refunds

when suppertime came all the mods came on deck sayin'
fellas, we'll just have to ban ya
at seven p.m. the last blog post came in, they said
fellas, it's been good to know ya

the chairman wrote in he had committed no sin
toward the broken, the poor, and the hateful
and later that night on his battered website
went the wrecks of star citizen's faithful

does anyone know where the love of god goes
when you browse those forums for hours?
the faithful still say we'll see gameplay next may
if you just spend a thousand more dollars

it might be online and it might be single player
it might even see a release soon
but all that we see is the hopes and the dreams
of the redditors, furries and spacegoons

freelancer's good, wing commander's alright
and the x series keeps on surviving
old freespace seems like a young nerd's dreams
elite and the rest keep on flying

and year after year it just keeps getting clearer
that a space game's just planning for failure
when star citizen goes just like everyone knows
will the goons of october remember?

in a dusty old thread on the forums they watched
the collapse of the faithful on reddit
and as denial began, they stood tall to a man
or at least five in the case of ben lesnick

the legend lives on from the forums on down
of the game dev who made wing commander
chris roberts they say always could find a way
to turn failure to more propaganda 

Brought a tear to my eye.

Malleovic
Sep 8, 2007

OMGGG you could've tripped and DIED

megalodong posted:

How do you not post at all for 8 years, and then proceed to make your first, and the majority of your following posts, in a thread about star citizen?

Laziness?

Regular idiot on his normal account.

ThomasPancake
Jul 28, 2013

by Reene
Wait, I can understand the criticism of SC, but are people in this thread seriously rallying behind DEREK SMART?

Even Reddit is less autistic than this.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

ThomasPancake posted:

Wait, I can understand the criticism of SC, but are people in this thread seriously rallying behind DEREK SMART?

Shh. Don't ruin the magic.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It's kind of like hobo fights. You might not like either one, but there's one you want to win.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

ThomasPancake posted:

Derek Smart is a man of profound wisdom and vision. In this thread we refer to him as "Lightbringer Smart."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Disco Lando posted:

Because of this, I took a lot of jobs and left a lot of jobs when I felt I'd learned what I could from them. I've worked as, in no particular order:
a Construction Contractor, a Barista, an IT Professional, an actual High School Drama Teacher, an Audio Engineer for both Television and Radio, a Retail Supervisor or Manager several times over, a Professional Baseball Mascot, a Telemarketer, a Stage and Film Actor, a WoW Game Master, a Prosthetics Support Specialist, a Home Improvement Professional, a Director of Operations for a Professional Baseball Team, a Cashier, a Mr. Trash, a Theme Park Performer, a Truck Loader, a Published Author of textbooks and magazine articles, a Hospitality Worker and a few others that escape recall at this moment.
I mention all this because there are all kinds of jobs, and all kinds of workplaces, and what's right for one isn't necessarily right for another, and for many workplaces, you never know if it's going to be a good fit between employee and employer until you get there. Before I came to Star Citizen, as a devout backer, I thought I knew everything I needed to about working for Star Citizen.

So in Disco Lando's mind it's ok to try just about every job in the book and either get fired or quit.

Hey kids no reason to put any effort into life, just coast through!

Employers will look favorably on you jumping from job to job every 3 months

Finally, lol baseball mascot...

• Locked thread