Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Aren't Derek Smart's games produced by very few people on very small budgets? Universal Combat 2.0 is more playable than Star Citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

Brought a tear to my eye.

When Chris Roberts finally has to admit to this epic fraud, I badly want that poem reprinted on a bronze #spergship model for his sendup.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

jaegerx posted:

It's all fun and games but seriously can we ban this gently caress. He's the weird foot fetish Brazilian isn't he?

Sorry m8. Ive never been to Brazil.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Phenotype posted:

Okay, so for someone who dips into these threads every now and then to see a trainwreck, has anything at all actually been released? I keep seeing talk about modules--is there at least a basic flying-around or dogfighting module that's been released, even as an alpha or beta?

Also, what on earth makes game development hemorrhage money? After you've sorted out your engine and licensing and hiring, isn't it just a matter of paying your people their salary for an extra year or two? That latest ship sale alone paid for another year of a mid-level artist or programmer.
They didnt get the fundamentals in place and chose a poor engine for spaceflight and even with people who worked on that engine couldn't get more than a handful of people able to play on the same server IIRC

ThomasPancake
Jul 28, 2013

by Reene

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's kind of like hobo fights. You might not like either one, but there's one you want to win.

And if that person is Derek Smart then I have a bridge full of rare pepe's to sell you.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I love that reddit is falling on its face to defend star citizen

a game that will never be released

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

When did Disco Lando go from forum poster to mod to developer? All of CIG's high profile people are just "ideas guys" and they keep firing all of the lead artists, programmers.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Capntastic posted:

When did Disco Lando go from forum poster to mod to developer? All of CIG's high profile people are just "ideas guys" and they keep firing all of the lead artists, programmers.

Umm excuse me he was a barrista AND a high school drama teacher, he is as qualified as anyone

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Capntastic posted:

Probably when they realized they could pay other people to do the job (poorly) with spaceship pictures and locks of Crobert's pubic hair instead of money.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPancake posted:

Wait, I can understand the criticism of SC, but are people in this thread seriously rallying behind DEREK SMART?

Even Reddit is less autistic than this.

We'll rally behind anything as long as we can rally against it later.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
TenTonHammer weighs in.

Excerpt:

quote:

"The Escapist recently ran an article highlighting complaints from various ex-CIG employees, some verified while others were anonymous, and then things got pants on the head retarded from my perspective. Chris Roberts engaged The Escapist personally, writing one of the longest replies to an article from a developer I’ve ever seen, including personal attacks against the author, and a rather aggressive approach. Meanwhile, The Escapist article mirrors the many emails I’ve been receiving for years about work conditions at CIG, which I believe is also where much of Derek Smart’s rhetoric has been coming from – since I’m sure the same people have spoken to him as well.

Interestingly enough, this results in Chris Roberts blaming a lot of it on Derek Smart, but I can easily attest that the emails about work conditions and that rhetoric have been around awhile."

Read the full article.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

3 posted:

hi derek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88WL5MX1Co8
MP3 Here

code:
the legend lives on from the forums on down
of the game dev who made wing commander
the man they all say never quite found a way
to respond to the lies and the slander

from his backers he scored eighty-six million bucks more
though the promises made were quite empty
that company and crew was a bone to be chewed
when the blogs of october came early

the game was the pride of all nerdlings worldwide
spending all of their cash for no reason
as the kickstarters go it was bigger than most
with rewards and good stretch goals well seasoned

concluding some sales with a coupla' space whales
while their deadlines were still disappearing
come three years later when their twitter feeds rang
could it be derek smart they'd been fearing?

the forums online made a tattle-tale whine
with the subreddit frantically wailing
and every man knew as the chairman did too
t'was the goons of october come stealin'

the sale came late and the videos had to wait
though the hit in morale was a small one
when the article came it was more of the same
in the face of a million refunds

when suppertime came all the mods came on deck sayin'
fellas, we'll just have to ban ya
at seven p.m. the last blog post came in, they said
fellas, it's been good to know ya

the chairman wrote in he had committed no sin
toward the broken, the poor, and the hateful
and later that night on his battered website
went the wrecks of star citizen's faithful

does anyone know where the love of god goes
when you browse those forums for hours?
the faithful still say we'll see gameplay next may
if you just spend a thousand more dollars

it might be online and it might be single player
it might even see a release soon
but all that we see is the hopes and the dreams
of the redditors, furries and spacegoons

freelancer's good, wing commander's alright
and the x series keeps on surviving
old freespace seems like a young nerd's dreams
elite and the rest keep on flying

and year after year it just keeps getting clearer
that a space game's just planning for failure
when star citizen goes just like everyone knows
will the goons of october remember?

in a dusty old thread on the forums they watched
the collapse of the faithful on reddit
and as denial began, they stood tall to a man
or at least five in the case of ben lesnick

the legend lives on from the forums on down
of the game dev who made wing commander
chris roberts they say always could find a way
to turn failure to more propaganda 

oppah!

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I love that reddit is falling on its face to defend star citizen

a game that will never be released

Backers pledged millions of dollars to a project with the understanding that the money would be used to ensure the delivery of the complete title in the promised time period. However, some sources stated that at some point Star Citizen became "more about the campaign and less about the actual game," with repeated delays announced while citing the additional funds raised as the cause.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/14715-CIG-Employees-Talk-Star-Citizen-and-the-State-of-the-Company

The very definition of Ponzi, which is an white collar crime. I'd argue this article would fall under whistleblower provisions and be enough grounds for a class action, if it really became known RSI was misappropriating funds, filing bad internals & had zero intent to deliver.

PS: Someone should ungas the 2012 thread of Star Citizen, just so we can take the names of the space whales who owe us "dumb guys" all Plat accounts.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

very nice article!

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Good article actually

Also lol at all this, the escapist article was really loving bad but then crobert's response was even worse and made him look insane/coked out of his mind. Well done Dr. Smart.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Factual level headed article

Which means the brown sea will try to totally ignore it

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Sappo569 posted:

Factual level headed article

Which means the brown sea will try to totally ignore it

I think you're bang on the money. I refreshed it and found zero comments.

Of course I don't know if that site gets a lot of comments normally so :shrug:

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Eonwe posted:

It's actually insanely good

He must be in for $500+

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
"I know there are multiple articles claiming we've spent 82 of our 90 million dollars, but those articles were written by retard human being cunts."
-Sandi Gardiner, Head of Marketing

"Wasn't gamergate about ethics in videogame journalism? Why are you asking questions instead of buying 900 spaceships? Why? Why are you doing this? Whooooooooooo?"
-Chris Roberts, CEO

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Sent my refund request in.

I feel a lot better about myself now.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
thanks op for helping me finally decide to put in the time to sell my kickstarter poo poo for this trainwreck

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I feel a lot better about myself now.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
Sol-Trader (another kickstarter) promises..

* Single-player combination of arcade 2D spaceflight and strategic manipulation of your network of contacts
* Run missions using your family and friends' connections to government or business
* No ship given to you at game start: you must take a loan and hire a ship, or borrow one from a wealthy relative
* Fly between planets, interacting with the various characters you come across in cities and in space
* Research information on other characters through chatting to friends and relatives
* Customise your ship with lasers, passenger quarters, shields, bolt weapons, missiles and scanners (coming soon)
* Blackmail others with the information you find, or sell it to the press (coming soon)
* Trade goods for profit

I wonder if he can deliver it for the Star Citizen equivalent of a "completionist package" ($15,000US).

He is asking goons for advice, so perhaps we can impart some words of wisdom we have learned from the Star Citizen experience...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743054&pagenumber=1

Edit : Think what Chris would have done differently if he has listened to goon advice at his kickstarter stage...

Jethro_E7 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 2, 2015

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Jethro_E7 posted:

Sol-Trader (another kickstarter) promises..

* Single-player combination of arcade 2D spaceflight and strategic manipulation of your network of contacts
* Run missions using your family and friends' connections to government or business
* No ship given to you at game start: you must take a loan and hire a ship, or borrow one from a wealthy relative
* Fly between planets, interacting with the various characters you come across in cities and in space
* Research information on other characters through chatting to friends and relatives
* Customise your ship with lasers, passenger quarters, shields, bolt weapons, missiles and scanners (coming soon)
* Blackmail others with the information you find, or sell it to the press (coming soon)
* Trade goods for profit

I wonder if he can deliver it for the Star Citizen equivalent of a "completionist package" ($15,000US).

He is asking goons for advice, so perhaps we can impart some words of wisdom we have learned from the Star Citizen experience...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743054&pagenumber=1

Edit : Think what Chris would have done differently if he has listened to goon advice at his kickstarter stage...

its cool how you can see kickstarter games get sadder and sadder the more meticulously the developer tries to recreate human social interactions

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

Disco Lando posted:

...Before I came to Star Citizen, as a devout backer,...

Notacult.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
Will the ships have LTI?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
1000+ posts in the past 24 hours.

Just caught up with it all. You guys are either insane, or this is the best social game ever: intrigue, plot twists, terminations, horrible bosses, hazardous environments. This game has it all!

Star Citizen has already graced us with its awesomeness even when it's vaporware.

Also, every batman CRoberts needs his joker DSmart

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The real plot twist will come when it's revealed that Erin is also Chris's wife.

Is DSmart looking into the SC UK accounts thingie someone mentioned a lifetime ago?

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

no_recall posted:

1000+ posts in the past 24 hours.

Just caught up with it all. You guys are either insane, or this is the best social game ever: intrigue, plot twists, terminations, horrible bosses, hazardous environments. This game has it all!

Star Citizen has already graced us with its awesomeness even when it's vaporware.

They're listening to Derek Smart. They're just insane.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Chocobo posted:

The abridged response:

What the gently caress did he think would come of this bewildered trainwreck of a response. Rather than disprove the concerns that have been brought up, he deflects every allegation with questions of "who told you this" and "show me you have proof of this," all while attempting to discredit any critics. It's not a good way to inspire confidence.

Because Chris Roberts writes like he codes.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

no_recall posted:

It's more like Clock King versus the guy with the ketchup and mustard guns

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm slowly working through the thread but

KiddieGrinder posted:

How will :btroll: and co spin this?

"former staff members who still bear a grudge and will slander us at any opportunity"

"fabrications by disgraced employees who want the spotlight"

"theyre just jealous they were fired and can't be part of history"

"author of article is a collaborator with Derek Smart"

He did literally every single one of those, congrats

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

heh 1 million rabid fans hit the site all at once to buy 2nd hand spaceships in support of CIG

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU

Excellent use of Gordon Lightfoot :golfclap:

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012
I'm 20 pages back in the thread (less than 1 day) , and all the links to interesting posts on the SC forums are already 404s.

Please screenshot things, I think someone from CIG is watching the thread.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
What a day

What a day this has been

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
why are there over 1k new posts holy poo poo

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

midnightclimax posted:

Autism mostly.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

midnightclimax posted:

Escapist said that Chris Roberts was running CIG into the ground with his aggressive and irrational management and that the CR and Sandi frequently personally attack their employees.

CR refuted the allegations by posting an aggressive and irrational news article filled with personal attacks against the journalist, DS and 10+ references to gamergate for good measure.

Many posts were made on this, most can be summed up as "hahahahahahahahahaha"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The funny thing is I'm fairly certain Lizzy F dropped out of Gamergate very early on due to all the personal attacks. Also from what I gather from a friend who keeps up to date with this stuff, they're very confused as to why they're even being mentioned.

• Locked thread