Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Sir Nose posted:

I have a wiring question-- (If this isn't the right forum, I'd appreciate it if you could direct me...)

I need to connect blu ray/cable box, etc. to a new tv, but for reasons the source gizmos are on the other side of the room. So I need to run wiring through the walls to the tv. It's going to be about a 25'-30' run, which seems to be maxing out the recommended limit for hdmi cabling. What's the best way to handle this? Active hdmi cable? CAT6 cables with hdmi wall plates? Regular hdmi with some sort of signal booster? Should a signal booster be at the source end or at the tv end? Thanks!

25-30' may work just fine without any boosting methods. Maybe buy a cheap 30' cable and test it by running it on the floor first?

If you do get an extender, HDBaseT ones generally work the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I finally poo poo rather than get off the pot on the Vizio M43-C1, and it's p good.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Cornjob posted:

25-30' may work just fine without any boosting methods. Maybe buy a cheap 30' cable and test it by running it on the floor first?

If you do get an extender, HDBaseT ones generally work the best.

25 definitely works. i have a flat monoprice 25ft cable that has no issues.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Anyone have any input on this Toshiba 40L310U? It would be our primary TV, mostly for movies and gaming. Was planning on picking up a new vizio because I've had no problems with the last one I used extensively. Would be nice to save some money but if there is some big issue I'd rather spring for something I already know works well and looks nice.

Recaffeinated
Jul 11, 2007
Fuck decaf.
Anybody have experience with Best Buy open box items? The prices are super tempting but I don't know if it's worth it (especially if it invalidates credit card extended warranties).

The contest is between an E48 or an open box E55 (for about $40 more). Thoughts??

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Completely unrelated, but your post reminded me when I was TV shopping with my parents in the late 90s, and a shop had a display model TV that was so badly damaged you could see the insides (a CRT, naturally). I think they said they'd knock £50 ($80 or so) off for that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I bought a Mac Mini open box from Best Buy and it was great.

With a lot of TVs now you can pop into the service menu and see how long it's been on and a lot of other info. Maybe plug it in and see if you can look at that info?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Can anyone recommend an ultra-budget flat screen for my dorm room. I'm talking really ultra budget. I'm just looking for something I can hook up to my pc for steam game parties and netflix.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Buy the cheapest refurb vizio you can?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Don Lapre posted:

Buy the cheapest refurb vizio you can?

Where would be a good place to look.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

-Blackadder- posted:

Groupon or Woot

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why not grab a tv off of craigslist?

Also The 55 and 65 flat OLEDs are on sale. 3k and 5k respectively at Best Buy and lg.com with speculation that certain sellers will get lower than that.

Let's keep these prices falling!

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

sellouts posted:

Why not grab a tv off of craigslist?

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea, probably even cheaper than refurb.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

-Blackadder- posted:

In fact Woot happens to have a Vizio refurb sale going on RIGHT NOW!

http://www.woot.com/plus/vizio-led-smart-tvs-13

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You want a cheap TV?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889624014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Did the price change or something? 379 doesn't seem like a great price unless I'm missing something?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

sellouts posted:

Did the price change or something? 379 doesn't seem like a great price unless I'm missing something?

Yeah really, the 48" Vizio posted right above is cheaper

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Help! I'm getting some bizarre color ghosting on my 55" plasma TV!

Samsung PN51E-535A-FXZA

About two years old. This started last month, it was most noticeable at first when viewing stark white webpages from my HTPC (connected through HDMI). It's gotten bad enough that I see color blotches bleeding through whenever the background isn't dark. Dark and/or static backgrounds tend to look perfect.

Sometimes I can even make out blurred images from 5-10 seconds ago, which tends to be most noticeable during commercials.

Is there anything I can to do to fix/adjust this?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Pictures!

The background of this Geico commercial is supposed to be stark white:

Most of the ghosting is smeary color blotches like this, but if you look just to the left of the Geico logo, you can make out Alex Trebek's head.

And finally, this is about the least blurry example I've seen.

If you pause the DVR, the Geico logo will get blurrier and blurrier until it's just a smear... but It doesn't go away.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Panel is hosed. Call Samsung if it can be replaced for a nominal fee or start shopping.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Amazon is selling the LG 55ec9300 OLED tv for $1798. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KZER5GS?keywords=lg%2055ec9300&qid=1444172450&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The 2015 replacement has been selling for less than that.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

The 2015 replacement has been selling for less than that.

Ooo what's the model number on that one please?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I think it's this one: http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...ments=p_89%3ALG

What was the sale price at?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

1997 posted:

I think it's this one: http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...ments=p_89%3ALG

What was the sale price at?
It was on eBay for $1700, I think -- the old link in their post doesn't work anymore. Not a crazy deal if the 9300 can be had for $1800 a couple of weeks later, so don't feel too bad.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The 9100 got as low as 1600 I think

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Are there any good OLED TV's for about $2.5k? Preferably one that integrates well with Galaxy Tab S tablets. Preferably not curved.
I'm trying to find some, and the closest I can get are LG TV's that I can't find reviews about (which I normally take as a bad sign).

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
Does anyone know if the 2015 LG OLED can be mounted on a wall using a standard VESA mount? That's pretty much the only thing that kept me from buying the 2014

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

MrOnBicycle posted:

Are there any good OLED TV's for about $2.5k? Preferably one that integrates well with Galaxy Tab S tablets. Preferably not curved.
I'm trying to find some, and the closest I can get are LG TV's that I can't find reviews about (which I normally take as a bad sign).

The LG oleds should have plenty of reviews on them. Try the 2014 models if need be.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

MrOnBicycle posted:

Lg is the only oled TV maker

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

So what is the deal with curved TVs? How is that an advantage?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Squashy Nipples posted:

It's not, it's a gimmick to sell them for an extra grand.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Zero VGS posted:

It's not, it's a gimmick to sell them for an extra grand.

Yeah, I'd love that LG but I'm not interested in 3D or curved.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

LmaoTheKid posted:

Yeah, I'd love that LG but I'm not interested in 3D or curved.

LG sells flat oleds for 2015

Squashy Nipples posted:

If you are sitting in the center of the tv you will perceive the tv as being larger than it is.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Don Lapre posted:

LG sells flat oleds for 2015

Yeah but the price is also a factor XD

Probably going to wait for holiday sales and see if I can snag the recommended Vizio 60 inch.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ahh, the 9100 is only in an EG model (curved), not an EF (flat)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Oh ok. Silly me. For some reason, the curved TV's are the cheaper ones over here. The 55EG920V looks nice. A bit high in price but if it's good it's worth taking a look at.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Honestly, the curve on the 9300 oled is barely noticeable from the front. Its not nearly as steep as the Samsung curved LEDs.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

The 55" EF9600 (4k, flat) is 2650 shipped no tax from Cleveland Plasma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
These 3 links should help anyone on the fence with the 1080p or 4k now? debate...

80% of the US doesn't have the bandwidth to stream 4k.

Live broadcast (sports, events) isn't happening anytime soon.

UHD Blu Ray was announced in May, and we got our look at the first UHD BR player to be sold a few days ago. It's $3,300. Next up is Samsungs player sometime in 2016. No firm date for the UHD discs yet, sometime in 2016 is the best we have. What will be interesting to see is how movies shot in 2.8k (arri alexa camera) are upscaled to 4k for this vs scans at 4k of older 35mm/70mm shot things.