Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Wow loving THANK YOU Sam Raimi for having a Hispanic character who isn't a horrible stereotype with a fresh off the boat forced accent. Daredevil and Ant-man are both guilty as hell of this and poo poo's loving stupid. loving Michael Pena's in his thirties and been in some pretty big roles and he's still getting typecast as "cholo gangster #2".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Oh man my erection is so firm right now over this.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

What of Pepper Pete? Where is his song?

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
Got my popcorn ready! The full SDCC panel video is fun, slight spoilers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7h2GLVd0y0

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

bathhouse posted:

Got my popcorn ready! The full SDCC panel video is fun, slight spoilers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7h2GLVd0y0

Oh my god, that suit Bruce is wearing :allears:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

The costume rating bit was really funny

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Firstborn posted:

I think everyone is trying really hard to pretend the Evil Dead remake didn't happen.

It was financially successful and critically-acclaimed, what are you talking about?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Pirate Jet posted:

It was financially successful and critically-acclaimed, what are you talking about?

And was officially endorsed by the writer/director and star of the original. I mean, it wasn't my particular cup of tea, but I get why people liked it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And was officially endorsed by the writer/director and star of the original. I mean, it wasn't my particular cup of tea, but I get why people liked it.

yeah I'm curious if there's gonna be any crossover, if only storywise/working in the same universe

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Well, it was decent horror remake of Evil Dead, but we also have 30 years of The Evil Dead franchise being pretty silly.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo. I honestly had very low expectations and that trailer shattered all of them.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

The problem is it was a decent horror movie, and it doesn't deserve hate but.. at this point, Ash IS the Evil Dead, and the heroine from that movie just failed to live up to the legacy, even compared to ED1 regular guy Ash.

My other beef with the film is the deadites all became creepy in a "We will take you over and mutilate you" kind of way; where as the whole thing that makes them Deadites and not just stock monsters is the fact they primarily want to gently caress with your head more than anything; mentally torturing people before doing anything to them is one constant throughout the franchise.

So long story short.. a case of "Decent enough movie, but not right for the franchise."

thrakkorzog posted:

Well, it was decent horror remake of Evil Dead, but we also have 30 years of The Evil Dead franchise being pretty silly.

The deadite thing is really important, even in the first one. There the possessed girl sat around just driving people bat poo poo insane, and only attacked at the veryyyy end, and that was made them so memorable. The new ones are one step from mindless kill monsters.

Again, I didn't hate the new movie. If it was it's own thing, I'd probably be less harsh.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 21, 2015

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Well, this is an interesting tidbit. When asked by EW about possible time travel shenanigans in the series, Bruce had this to say:

quote:

I would just say just don’t be surprised if it does happen because it has happened. So I would say that would be on the table as well. Especially, once you get into a series, your stories have got to cover you for five freakin’ years, you know what I mean? We’re having the discussions with the writing team now where we’re like ‘Okay, season 2!’
Source

Most significant is that last statement. Season 2 might already be green lit.

edit: Also, confirmation that THE CLASSIC still lives!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Well, this is an interesting tidbit. When asked by EW about possible time travel shenanigans in the series, Bruce had this to say:

Source

Most significant is that last statement. Season 2 might already be green lit.

edit: Also, confirmation that THE CLASSIC still lives!
Groovy news. Let's hope this badboy does go at least five seasons.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Please, this is Starz. If Spartacus is anything to go by, we can expect 3 and a half seasons at best. 5 would be nice, though.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Silhouette posted:

Please, this is Starz. If Spartacus is anything to go by, we can expect 3 and a half seasons at best. 5 would be nice, though.

Starz tends to renew early and quick as well. I definitely expect a second season announcement not long after the first ep or two air.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

New pic:

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
A vote for Ash is a vote for sexy.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

That might confirm we might see time travel.

Either that or Ash just trashed a ren faire.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Blazing Ownager posted:

My other beef with the film is the deadites all became creepy in a "We will take you over and mutilate you" kind of way; where as the whole thing that makes them Deadites and not just stock monsters is the fact they primarily want to gently caress with your head more than anything; mentally torturing people before doing anything to them is one constant throughout the franchise.

So long story short.. a case of "Decent enough movie, but not right for the franchise."

They also kinda dropped how if a deadite has you, they have you forever because you can just kill yourself and they go away.

The new movie was rear end, could of been called anything else but they chose to use the Evil Dead name to it. They took alot of the memorable scenes and just crammed them into a movie. They dont even say deadite, come on. No deadites, no evil dead.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I liked new Evil Dead, but it was kind of pointless. Can't wait for this show.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It had the best after credits scene of all time, at the very least.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Nu-Evil Dead was a fun gore flick and decent darker reimagining of the original, can't really say I had any complaints about it except for the lack of Bruce.(until that weird out of left field after credit thing)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

That might confirm we might see time travel.

Either that or Ash just trashed a ren faire.

With Ash it could go either way.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I like how she just looks nonplussed and irritated.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

KilGrey posted:

nonplussed

That word means the exact opposite of what you think it does (pet peeve)

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

ookiimarukochan posted:

That word means the exact opposite of what you think it does (pet peeve)

Google says the meaning is to be so surprised/shocked one is uncertain what the appropriate action is to take, however there is an additional possible meaning that is to be unperturbed by a particular situation.

So the same word has two, opposite meanings. It looks like the "unperturbed" definition is a later one, developed in North America. However, as a British person, I always thought the definition of "nonplussed" was always "unperturbed".

To me she just looks fed-up, as though she and Ash had walked through a dozen burnt-down villages/ren-faires in the last few days.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

A video introducing the team, and some spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psAwjxSuk-I

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I think that's the same suit he wore to preside over a zombie wedding. He really is a swell guy. I'm stoked for the show.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

How do I buy the ability to watch this without getting the rest of stars?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
It's just a shame this is premiering on Halloween instead of, you know, early October so you get the whole Halloween month/season to enjoy it.

But I guess I'm going to have Walking Dead, Fargo and (to a much lesser extent) American Horror Story to enjoy until then.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

GreenNight posted:

A video introducing the team, and some spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psAwjxSuk-I

It's so close yet so far. :negative:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Junkie Disease posted:

How do I buy the ability to watch this without getting the rest of stars?

iTunes season pass probably.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pan Dulce posted:

I think that's the same suit he wore to preside over a zombie wedding. He really is a swell guy. I'm stoked for the show.

He still has the best chin in show biz.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

http://io9.com/we-saw-the-first-episode-of-ash-vs-evil-dead-and-it-bl-1736026570

:fap:

Beware of spoilers.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

While much of the action is played for comedic effect and the gore so over-the-top that it’s equally entertaining, there is constant violence in Ash vs. Evil Dead: chainsaw decapitations, limbs lobbed, heads shot off, and leap-out-of-your-seat frights. The showrunner disclosed that one of his favorite upcoming scenes involves a deli slicer. This show is not for the faint of heart. It’s also not for children, involving both crazy violence and raunchy sex scenes, so save this one for after the kids are asleep.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

etalian posted:

While much of the action is played for comedic effect and the gore so over-the-top that it’s equally entertaining, there is constant violence in Ash vs. Evil Dead: chainsaw decapitations, limbs lobbed, heads shot off, and leap-out-of-your-seat frights. The showrunner disclosed that one of his favorite upcoming scenes involves a deli slicer. This show is not for the faint of heart. It’s also not for children, involving both crazy violence and raunchy sex scenes, so save this one for after the kids are asleep.

Note: This is in "The Bad" section of the review.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

team overhead smash posted:

Note: This is in "The Bad" section of the review.

Lol... it's a loving EVIL DEAD show what the hell did they expect

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Deakul posted:

The Review does acknowledge this:

quote:

Of course, if you’re into all of the things above, none of this is a “bad” at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Deakul posted:

It's on Starz too which similar to HBO is not afriad to have really over the top stuff in the shows.

• Locked thread