Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Just another name with media credits that Sirius XM is overpaying and under working because NAMES GET SUBSCRIBERS is the #1 philosophy for talent at the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

What's everyone's opinion on the Stangel's? Do they actually do anything for the show or are they there to just there to be voices and "friends" of Opie

They don't make fun of this man's appearance.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
That's one silly loving person right there.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

T Bowl posted:

Just another name with media credits that Sirius XM is overpaying and under working because NAMES GET SUBSCRIBERS is the #1 philosophy for talent at the company.

How the gently caress are cable television subscriptions going down and satellite radio subscriptions going UP?! What's on Sirius XM that people are subscribing for?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

livingfruitvirus posted:

How the gently caress are cable television subscriptions going down and satellite radio subscriptions going UP?! What's on Sirius XM that people are subscribing for?

It comes with new cars. Nobody's subscribing on purpose.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

An Enormous Boner posted:

It comes with new cars. Nobody's subscribing on purpose.

...and if you try to cancel it, they throw it at you. I cancelled because I no longer had a tuner, and they offered to send me a new radio with 3 months free. gently caress that though.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The little bit I caught of Gilbert Gottfried on O&J was pretty good, I gotta remember to download and hear the rest of that later. Jim really has a good time when he finally has someone mean and funny to talk to again.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
You guys would be surpised how many people do continue subscriptions.. They wouldn't be paying all that money to install those receivers without people falling into the trap.

Tevryr
Dec 5, 2009
I would honestly pay just for O&J if i had the money. The new side shows would be a big part of it, Bonfire, Racewars. Without those, probably not.
Anyways, George Carlin's daughter gave me a hard giggle when she mentioned the fear of Gilbert Gottfried snorting her father's ashes as a goof.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm listening to the Ron & Dave appearance on Anthony's show and goddamn does Ant & Dave have chemistry. What a fun episode.

They need to mic the crowd though. If they didn't bring them up at the beginning, I would have never known they were there.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 2, 2015

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I'm pretty sure satellite radio as a whole is a giant money laundering front.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Under the vegetable posted:

I'm pretty sure satellite radio as a whole is a giant money laundering front.

What ads do they play now that Ashley Madison is in the toilet?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/YourAnonGlobal/status/649808754016428032?s=09
https://twitter.com/WorIdStarComedy/status/649788003762765824

Great job Opie, you're finally going viral

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
VOOIIIRRUHL VIddeeeoooo....

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
I hope he does a Harry Hater about the cake stomp video

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Opie getting canned because of a 8-9 year old video would be a fitting end to this radio show. Poor Jimmy though.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

It's funny just to see Opie attempt to be this edgy comedian and just end up being hated by everybody. Not only is he rejected, he's scorned. It takes a special kind of person to manage to be hated so completely.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

livingfruitvirus posted:

Mostly for Ron Bennington but I also listen to SiriusXMU all the time.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I wonder what the percentage is of SXM subscribers that are getting free cancellation service.

Oh and another cakestomp update, Opie is getting absolutely hammered on Twitter right now. That poo poo is being retweeted like crazy.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
*shrugs* I haven't listened to Ron or the Opie show in years and years but we bought a car with SiriusXM built in a few years ago and I think I've paid 20 bucks in that entire time period, we called to cancel after our trial was over and they gave us 6 months for $10, we called after that and they did 6 months for $5 twice and it just hasn't been turned off in like 20 months.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Disappointing Pie posted:

*shrugs* I haven't listened to Ron or the Opie show in years and years but we bought a car with SiriusXM built in a few years ago and I think I've paid 20 bucks in that entire time period, we called to cancel after our trial was over and they gave us 6 months for $10, we called after that and they did 6 months for $5 twice and it just hasn't been turned off in like 20 months.

That's what they do to keep subs, they're just like cable companies.. get what you can out of someone, even $5.. the cost of sending you that signal is basically nothing either way for them so why not make something and keep you having to call and negotiate vs being a totally lost customer.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

shyduck posted:

I wonder what the percentage is of SXM subscribers that are getting free cancellation service.

Oh and another cakestomp update, Opie is getting absolutely hammered on Twitter right now. That poo poo is being retweeted like crazy.

Have the guests been reacting to it?

Tevryr
Dec 5, 2009
Hey hey, i loving got it! The cake is a lie Opie! *loses his 2 million a year gig*, Or, I'm guessing in the next two days if it happens at all. Anthony got such a perfect, hilarious ending to the O&A show, and this wanting to be viral biting the Opster back in his rear end after so many years would be just as ironic.

I still love em both, grew up with them in a way, but if that's how they both ended...I want to be heard, I want to be liked.

Tevryr
Dec 5, 2009

Morter posted:

It's really under the radar for comedians involved, as if it even concerned them. I noticed the Burr phone in, where at the end opie was like "and that was our good friend Bill Burr" and Jim said something like "He's just doing a radio tour". (Which he is, if you've listened to Burr's podcast it's obvious he doesn't actually give a gently caress about anyone it seems) Isn't comedy twisted?

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Its not like the cake stomp video didn't just blow up about 8 months or so ago.

BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

Morter posted:

Some guy promoting a movie on Thursday (I think, he came in late at the end of the show) brought it up, but Opie just explained it the same way he has been.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Sirius honestly probably pays both Opie and Jim waaaaay too much for the actual listeners they bring in at this point. I would get rid of them if I were in charge, the cake thing could be a good excuse.

OlyMike
Sep 17, 2006
I'm talking about flagellation, who gives a damn about parades

Victorkm posted:

Its not like the cake stomp video didn't just blow up about 8 months or so ago.

I was thinking this seemed like Deja Vu. The exact same thing happened, with reddit involved, various second tier news sites, even the Anonymous twitter thing. Apparently Opie really isn't very memorable.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Okay I'm going to ask a dumb question: Back in the day when callers would call into R&F, sometimes one would make a dumb joke or a pun, and Ron (or maybe Fez) would do a little vaudeville horn tune/jingle, followed by a dumb laugh.

"Bwada bam badam bum. Hyukhyuk!"

Is there a name for that song? It sounds very vaudevillian, and I'm sure has ended a lot of dumb cartoons, but I can't identify it at all :(

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

What am I looking at here?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

egon_beeblebrox posted:

What am I looking at here?

Gail's new do, I thought that trend was dying tbh...

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

T Bowl posted:

Gail's new do, I thought that trend was dying tbh...

I think she just normally keeps it down.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
On Friday, we had a regular OJ show instead of Bennington. Is Bennington not coming on Friday mornings anymore?

OlyMike
Sep 17, 2006
I'm talking about flagellation, who gives a damn about parades

BDawg posted:

On Friday, we had a regular OJ show instead of Bennington. Is Bennington not coming on Friday mornings anymore?

I was listening to the 28th(?) show yesterday and they mentioned that they weren't going to be on Friday, but it seemed like it wasn't a permanent thing, just taking the day off for whatever reason.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe it had something to do with their new Saturday music show.

Banditoh
Aug 13, 2005

Morter posted:

Okay I'm going to ask a dumb question: Back in the day when callers would call into R&F, sometimes one would make a dumb joke or a pun, and Ron (or maybe Fez) would do a little vaudeville horn tune/jingle, followed by a dumb laugh.

"Bwada bam badam bum. Hyukhyuk!"

Is there a name for that song? It sounds very vaudevillian, and I'm sure has ended a lot of dumb cartoons, but I can't identify it at all :(

Ichiban maybe? Means number 1 in japanese or some poo poo. I think at least. This poo poo drove me crazy.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Banditoh posted:

Ichiban maybe? Means number 1 in japanese or some poo poo. I think at least. This poo poo drove me crazy.

No, not ichiban.

I'm not talking about a sound clip, it would just be like a sort of tune the boys would vocalize, followed by a goofy "aHYUCK". They didn't do it very often.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I know what you are talking about, but I don't know what it is called either. It's not "Shave and a haircut/Two bits" but something like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

JFC posted:

I know what you are talking about, but I don't know what it is called either. It's not "Shave and a haircut/Two bits" but something like it.

Yeah it's a sort of oldey-time joke stinger like that. I'm glad i'm not talking crazy :ohdear:

• Locked thread