Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

MeLKoR posted:

I haven't played this in almost a year. I've dropped by to see if there were some major updates, been reading the last few pages and noticed something. No one mentions logistics robots?! Late game I used to remove every belt except iron/copper/coal etc and replace everything else with hundreds of logistic robots, it seemed to work pretty great as long as transportation distances were kept within reason. Am I missing something?

People are talking about bots all the time, they're great.
Wait till you get the Personal Roboport so you can have a swarm of constructobots at your command!

As for logistics, the Belts Vs Bots debate is very much up to the user- belts are MUCH cheaper, almost always faster, and have a dramatically higher throughput until you have many dozens of bots on a particular line. On the other hand, for small-quantity or slow-complete jobs (like Modules) bots are super simple to keep you sane and keep your base clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Yeah, logistic bots seem to be good for two things:
- Come to me, my pretties, fly forth with my requested inventory when I return from another expedition! My iron plates, my ammo, my power lines!
- Small item count logistics where the frequency and count of the ingredient used coupled with distance makes it infeasible to set up a belt compared to having on-demand couriering.

They're great, but they're limited in how much they can do, and the power and materials requirements to tear up all of your belts and use bots is just prohibitive when belt busses can do just fine.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I sometimes use bots to handle my stone infrastructure since I end up consuming my stone supplies so fast.

JimTheEternal
Mar 5, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I like the idea of filling a train with tracks, walls, lasers and power lines and just sending it off to make a wall for as far as it can go.

One of the FFFs was talking about being able to automate factory creation at some point in the future. I guess the creators have a Fantasia-style image where a factory will just create more factory forever if left unchecked. I think it sounds awesome.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

JimTheEternal posted:

One of the FFFs was talking about being able to automate factory creation at some point in the future. I guess the creators have a Fantasia-style image where a factory will just create more factory forever if left unchecked. I think it sounds awesome.

The upcoming space building stuff makes me envision ridiculous levels of expansion where I make a blueprint for an entire factory planet and just click on an empty neighboring planet to send a colony ship filled with a million construction bots over and wrap it entirely in mines, belts, and assemblers.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Fractal factories until the machine gains sentience.

JimTheEternal
Mar 5, 2002

Overwined posted:

Fractal factories until the machine gains sentience.

Is factorio Turing complete yet? I guess with all of the circuit logic stuff it should be.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

JimTheEternal posted:

A Von Neumann factory

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

At some point, that turns into Cookie Clicker; except while consuming all your computer's resources.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

KillHour posted:

At some point, that turns into Cookie Clicker; except while consuming all your computer's resources.

Yes, but the fun part is building the factory in the first place, and the endgame is the satisfaction of watching it run.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

KillHour posted:

Every videogame turns into cookie clicker at some point.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

MeLKoR posted:

I haven't played this in almost a year. I've dropped by to see if there were some major updates, been reading the last few pages and noticed something. No one mentions logistics robots?! Late game I used to remove every belt except iron/copper/coal etc and replace everything else with hundreds of logistic robots, it seemed to work pretty great as long as transportation distances were kept within reason. Am I missing something?

Logistics bots are a trap. They are good for quick one-off things, but you can never match the effectiveness of belts with them.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Kenlon posted:

Logistics bots are a trap. They are good for quick one-off things, but you can never match the effectiveness of belts with them.

Yeah, keep anything on the intermediate tab (with the possible exception of engines and robot frames) on belts for mass production. Robots have a hard time keeping up with supplying factories for making thousands of circuits a minute, for instance.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Unless you have bobs mods :)

Im almost at the end of a play with bobs mod were im using bots for everything, the liquids are giving me a headache with the various sub-products of the electrolizer but its glorious seeing them fly around carrying everything at lightning speed.

And the gods modules are amazing.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

I couldn't get into Bob's Mods but Yuoki Industries is pretty cool. I'm enjoying optimizing my green tech research base to reduce land use and pollution while retaining the same production output.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
All these giant mods a la Bob and that Yuoki look like giant clusterfucks to me. Are there any mods that add buildings or tech that is a more natural and gradual progression of vanilla mechanics instead of huge fuckoff tech- or production trees?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Micr0chiP posted:

Unless you have bobs mods :)

Im almost at the end of a play with bobs mod were im using bots for everything, the liquids are giving me a headache with the various sub-products of the electrolizer but its glorious seeing them fly around carrying everything at lightning speed.

And the gods modules are amazing.

Bob's Mods super-belts are still better than the bots.

mirarant posted:

All these giant mods a la Bob and that Yuoki look like giant clusterfucks to me. Are there any mods that add buildings or tech that is a more natural and gradual progression of vanilla mechanics instead of huge fuckoff tech- or production trees?

The fact of the matter is that as soon as you look into adding more techs it's easy to just go whole hog. (There's a quote from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas that would apply here.) Once you're put three hundred plus hours into Factorio, you'll want complexity too. . .

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

mirarant posted:

The nice thing about Yuoki is that it doesn't change the base recipes at all. So far I've found it to be fairly gradual, in that it makes wherever I'm at in the vanilla tree better with some added production.

For instance:
To double the output of iron with existing furnaces you can replace the supply of iron ore with a supply of purified iron. To make purified iron, you wash ore in a "Washer" and get contaminated water as a byproduct. This additional tech is just a small intermediate step in series with the iron production chain and comes with a huge upside. Once you have liquid storage it's a no-brainer.

If you found the huge production chains required in Bobs Mods to be a little too insane, but are looking for something more I suggest giving Yuoki a try. If you hate it, it's easy to ignore and still play the base game without restarting your map.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kjoery posted:

Every videogame turns into cookie clicker at some point.

This is literally only true of resource building games. BRB, playing cookie clicker.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Anyone have some tips for getting multiplayer working? I can launch a multiplayer game fine, but I can't connect to my buddy, and he can't connect to me.

Running 12.10 and win7.

Does it take some router tinkering? My firewall looks good as far as Factorio is concerned.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, keep anything on the intermediate tab (with the possible exception of engines and robot frames) on belts for mass production. Robots have a hard time keeping up with supplying factories for making thousands of circuits a minute, for instance.

I've got a factory that's making (and using) about 3k circuits per minute, supplied entirely by bots. Belts are used only to bring iron/copper/steel from mining outposts. Not the most gigantic factory by far, but the bots haven't even started struggling yet. If your bots are having a hard time keeping up, can't you always just build more bots?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

RVT posted:

Anyone have some tips for getting multiplayer working? I can launch a multiplayer game fine, but I can't connect to my buddy, and he can't connect to me.

Running 12.10 and win7.

Does it take some router tinkering? My firewall looks good as far as Factorio is concerned.
Factorio uses port 34197 and it uses udp only. If you have a router and are hosting the multiplayer game you need to forward that port on your router.

This page is actually pretty useful.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Triarii posted:

I've got a factory that's making (and using) about 3k circuits per minute, supplied entirely by bots. Belts are used only to bring iron/copper/steel from mining outposts. Not the most gigantic factory by far, but the bots haven't even started struggling yet. If your bots are having a hard time keeping up, can't you always just build more bots?

Eventually you run out of room for in-range roboports, and the bots start waiting in line to charge.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Triarii posted:

This is more or less my experience as well, with proper factory design to keep high consumption areas as close as possible I managed a huge factory with fewer than a 1000 logistics bots and there were always plenty free. The only things on belts were iron/copper, their respective plates, copper wire and steel. It took 100% roboport coverage which was an enormous project in itself but well worth it I think. And it was pretty awesome getting anything I wanted delivered to me wherever I was in a matter of seconds, I even created chains of roboport outposts deep into enemy territory to help with ammo on long raiding trips. Extending the factory was a simple matter of laying the blue print and programming the requester chests.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Triarii posted:

3K a minute isn't exactly high production, so bots can keep up with that.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How do you use walls now?

By midgame there are tons of mobile ranged bugs now. In order to keep my turrets intact I end up putting down enough turrets to wipe out the entire mob at max range. Anything else tends to result in turrets getting picked off one at a time. I don't see how to use walls to improve my defenses.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

LLSix posted:

How do you use walls now?

By midgame there are tons of mobile ranged bugs now. In order to keep my turrets intact I end up putting down enough turrets to wipe out the entire mob at max range. Anything else tends to result in turrets getting picked off one at a time. I don't see how to use walls to improve my defenses.

You set em out in front of the turrets not as walls per se but as baffles so that mobs running through them to get to the turrets (which they can still path to and thus will ignore the walls.) That way a larger group gets broken up into more of a stream so your stated turret strat has more time to work on a larger group with fewer turrets. Putting some conveyors facing out through your baffles helps too, so that anyone coming in is fighting wrong-way conveyor action while having to run the baffles while getting shot by the laser turrets.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Do you mean buffers?

Also it sounds like you're talking about tower-defense game style mazing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

lohli posted:

Do you mean buffers?

Also it sounds like you're talking about tower-defense game style mazing.

That's pretty much what baffle means, yes.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

KillHour posted:

That's pretty much what baffle means, yes.

All I'm seeing in that diagram is wasted space where more turrets could be placed.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Well you wouldn't place them so they compete for space. You put enough guns to take out behemoths one at a time, then put walls to help them arrive one at a time. Do conveyor belts still have any effect on enemies?

Phssthpok fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 4, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

100+ hours into a game and I never knew about pumping stations.

My current base needs about 200-250 plastic per minute to not be bottle-necked, and I just couldn't figure out why the drat petroleum didn't want to move from the buffer storage tanks to the factories. The tanks were full, but the pipes just didn't seem to want to shift stuff. At first I thought it was that my 30 refineries and 100-something light-to-petroleum things were all feeding into one central petroleum pipeline which was perpetually at 10, and doubling that with a parallel pipe helped a bit but not much. Throwing a bunch of pumps on the pipes along the way to the factories didn't seem to help at all, in fact, it seemed to throttle the speed at which I was producing. Two pumping stations later and my petroleum tanks are empty and I need to build more refineries.

Is there a way to automate rocket launches from the launch pad? It would still take some substantial expansions but I'm getting closer to producing rockets without interruption. Other than some odds and ends, without the rocket there's no production, and I feel sad when the graph lines plunge.

Edit: actually scratch that, I'm nowhere near continuous rocket production. I can switch it on for 5 rockets or something and things go splendid, but then I discover that I have problems everywhere. Apparently all my mines ran out of ores while I was building new oil bases, which have also run out, and I'm also not smelting enough, and seeing as how everything just blacked out for a second, I'm guessing we're not producing enough energy anymore either. gently caress me. The rocket is like pouring buckets into a black hole.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 4, 2015

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There's a mod that does auto rocket launching. It's a sattellite dish type building you place, and whenever a rocket silo in its range finishes, it launches the rocket.
http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=15308

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

FISHMANPET posted:

There's a mod that does auto rocket launching. It's a sattellite dish type building you place, and whenever a rocket silo in its range finishes, it launches the rocket.

Do we have nuclear warheads yet?

That would be neat.

How is this game in multiplayer? What do people do? Do they take different roles or does everyone run around adding things?

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 5, 2015

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Zephyrine posted:

How is this game in multiplayer? What do people do? Do they take different roles or does everyone run around adding things?

You do what you want, no set roles to it. It normally ends up either with everyone cooperating very well or a massive case of the right hand not knowing what the left's doing.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Although I seem to have to revise my idea of continuous rocket launches. I'm afraid it depletes my resources so quickly that I can't keep up with maintenance while actually expanding input. By the time I explore and clear a new (oil, probably oil) resource patch something else is bound to have run out. But at least I've got a bus running that I'm finally happy with.

Does anyone have a neat solution for supplying outposts with repair kits and the occasional replacement wall or turret? I thought about making a service station at the main base, which is easy, but I can't come up with a way to unload at the outposts other than making service stations over there as well. If I use the existing stations, there's no place for unloading cause the full length of two wagons is already used for loading ores.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fleve posted:

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Although I seem to have to revise my idea of continuous rocket launches. I'm afraid it depletes my resources so quickly that I can't keep up with maintenance while actually expanding input. By the time I explore and clear a new (oil, probably oil) resource patch something else is bound to have run out. But at least I've got a bus running that I'm finally happy with.

Does anyone have a neat solution for supplying outposts with repair kits and the occasional replacement wall or turret? I thought about making a service station at the main base, which is easy, but I can't come up with a way to unload at the outposts other than making service stations over there as well. If I use the existing stations, there's no place for unloading cause the full length of two wagons is already used for loading ores.

I just placed requester chests all along my walls and outposts with repair kits / ammo / walls / pylons to allow quick automatic repair of any damage suffered in an attack.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

I just placed requester chests all along my walls and outposts with repair kits / ammo / walls / pylons to allow quick automatic repair of any damage suffered in an attack.

That'd work, I'd have to connect my outposts to the bot network I guess. Currently each outpost is a network on its own, connecting them all would be a lot of bot buildings, but if I just draw 'connecting lines' with roboports....that might be workable. It takes a full minute by train to go from my most northern to the furthest southern outpost, but having bots lug that poo poo around instead of making the rounds myself every few hours is definitely preferable.

Edit: ↓ yeah gonna go with that I think.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 6, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fleve posted:

You could probably spare one inserter on each train car at the remote end without compromising throughput too much - AFAIK a full set of maxed-out inserters will load or unload a train car in the 5 second minimum wait time with room to spare, so if you're sufficiently upgraded you might even be able to do it with no downside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Little Abigail posted:

You do what you want, no set roles to it. It normally ends up either with everyone cooperating very well or a massive case of the right hand not knowing what the left's doing.

Sounds like when I tried to play minecraft with some people. I tilled a field and planted crops. Paved a road and then they built a swimming pool in the middle of the field with a jumping board about 50 blocks high.