Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
I am seeking one replacement for Slack Mafia. It is currently Night 1. So far, the amount of activity has been comparable to a normal forums game and the game seems to be a lovely success. With one enthusiastic and active replacement, it'll be even better! Please PM me an email address, and feel free to use a throwaway and create a ~secret mystery identity~ in the game on Slack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I'm very tired too.

It's hell week for the play I'm in and more hellish than most plays I've been in.

Our director wrote the play. I am against writers directing their own work. It takes a really skilled person to not turn a blind eye to the faults of their script. The writer/director is also producing the play, acting as one of the leads, and sewing all the costumes (it's set in the Victorian era so you can imagine how much work is called for there).

To see why this week has been so hellish, you need a tiny bit of background on the play. I can't deny that the language of the play is lovely. However, it gets bogged down in its own logistics. There are like 16 scene changes, some of them taking as long as the scene they precede -- part of the pitch is that the play has a "cinematic quality" which means really short scenes, lots of costume changes, blood effects, intense fight scenes.

Okay. So Tuesday was supposed to be our first rehearsal in the space, and we had a tech planned. Most of the shows I've done, tech is for sound/light, at that point scene changes have already been practiced a bunch of times and run pretty smoothly. Our tech consisted of a first run of certain scenes with props, running fight scenes, and yeah that was about it. For the most part, nobody had anything to do except drink tequila backstage. A bunch of cast members got kind of trashed. Rehearsal ends. It was basically a wasted day.

Wednesday we all get an email scolding us for "taking the drinking too far" which I get, that's whatever. No more drinking at rehearsal. We go expecting a first dress rehearsal but a bunch of costume pieces still aren't there. We do our best. The scene changes get their first run and the machine is anything but well oiled. Nobody knows what they're doing. We'll hear the director yell "transition to 1.6, we need three people" or "transition to 2.3, we need everyone to help" in which case three people don't volunteer, or everyone runs on stage and starts tripping over each other. One actress hurts her back. I pull a muscle in my leg during the waltz.

I have two minutes for a costume change that takes seven minutes for a scene where I am silently on stage for 45 seconds. My costume has a snap bodice and it's too small. The snaps keep popping open. I don't know how many costumes were sewn from scratch, but when we were measured it was over street clothes, and a t shirt and jeans has considerably less bulk than the slip/corset/bloomers/petticoat combo I wear under everything, and none of the costumes seem to have been made with hoop skirts in mind. One actress had to have her skirt slit up the back so it would fit over the hoop. Now there's a big chunk of hoop showing.

Oh yeah and I have six costume changes over the course of the show, including changing wigs, and the only time I'm onstage for more than a minute is because one of my characters faints.

SO. THURSDAY ARRIVES. Everyone is tired and hot and cranky. It's our final dress and the photographer is coming to take show pictures. We still haven't successfully run this show even once. Nobody knows what they're doing for scene changes. We're missing props. I finally have my missing costume and it's straight up painful to wear.
We run the show. It's frustrating and terrible. The photographer doesn't show up until act 2. Lights are constantly wrong. A couple leads have only gotten off book in the last two days and are dropping huge chunks of scenes. The transitions are a nightmare. I attempt my quick change again and end up going onstage with my wig all messed up and part of the costume missing. The best thing would be to cut me from the scene but instead we're talking about having two people who also have costume changes try to dress me.

The director cuts the blood effects from the show, it just isn't working. She also cuts the part where someone shatters two glass teacups on the floor, thank God, because we have so many fights and so many people kneeling and fainting that it just isn't safe to think that we can get the glass cleaned up in ten seconds after the scene ends.

We end the run and everyone is exhausted and then the stage manager comes back with a list of who is required for each scene change. FINALLY -- that should have happened at least a week ago. However, most of the assignments just make us confused -- "okay, but I'm not in the dinner party scene and I have no idea what's supposed to be moved for that."

The director yells "RESET"

Because it's 9:50 pm and we're gonna run it again

And the whole cast simultaneously breaks down.

We're running it cue to cue for two reasons: to try the new transitions list, and to take photos. So we have to stay in costume. And within ten minutes, we find out that the transition list the stage manager wrote does not fit with the mental list the director had, so the director is saying the transitions are wrong, and although technically at this point the show belongs to the stage manager, the director is insisting we do it her way.

Meanwhile, cast members are complaining that the photographer isn't taking pictures of anyone but the director.

The cast basically tries to mutiny and stand behind the stage manager. One person straight up asks: who are we supposed to answer to? And the director responds: me.

So the stage manager walks out in tears, and we keep going, without a list of what is needed for scene changes (”you guys will have a full list tomorrow"). We end after 11:30. Every person in the cast has to be up in the morning. I still had homework that needed to be done.

So this morning I woke up in a state of total physical meltdown. I haven't had more than five hours of sleep any night this week. The one day I've eaten a decent dinner, I splurged and ordered pizza. I'm exhausted and hungry and dehydrated and the show opens tonight.

And apparently we have to do a "talk back" session after opening night, which we just found out about yesterday.

I have a firmly held belief that bad actors ruin shows, and bad directors ruin actors.

Tldr our director has pushed her cast into a state of complete exhaustion immediately before opening night and

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

If busb mills bowmore or fv dont post again, it's got nothing to do with me.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

:staredog: Sometimes I regret not getting into theater while I was in school, and sometimes I'm thankful that I never did. This is one of the latter times.

Good luck!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
:stare:

Good luck LUTR

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Punch your director/lead/faux stage manager in the genitalia

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
i live, thread. so do we all i believe

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

busb posted:

i live, thread. so do we all i believe

Unfortunate.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

:thumbsup:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Couldn't you have at least killed Mills

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
he bailed beforehand, unfortunately

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I went in to work at 8am yesterday, and got home from work at 11:20pm. During that time I took three 15 minute breaks. No lunch or anything else. And I have to do it again today, and then again.

In fact, I'm pulling 8 thirteen to fifteen hour shifts in a row. My next paycheck will be very nice, if I actually have the energy left to deposit it.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

From next week until June my hours will be 9 to 3 and I get paid for 8.

Field Engineer Life.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mithross posted:

I went in to work at 8am yesterday, and got home from work at 11:20pm. During that time I took three 15 minute breaks. No lunch or anything else. And I have to do it again today, and then again.

In fact, I'm pulling 8 thirteen to fifteen hour shifts in a row. My next paycheck will be very nice, if I actually have the energy left to deposit it.

Why would you ever agree to that kind of schedule?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

TMMadman posted:

Why would you ever agree to that kind of schedule?

The whole staff was already on six days a week, because we have been short a cook for about six months. And then one guy took his week long vacation.

I agreed because as much as I hate the schedule, I want the restaurant to continue to succeed. And if I don't work it, my boss/the owner will, and he's already on heart attack watch.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
chefs work long hours pretty much universally from what i understand

e; fb

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I do not miss cooking for a job.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I couldn't remember if you were the guy in the restaurant industry. Those kinds of hours are the worst part of that industry.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
You see why I love cooking but would never actually do it as a career?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I never had to cook in a restaurant, but I did work as a dishwasher/busboy/barista for Panera for a couple months which was easily the worst job I've ever had

I spent 10 years on and off in the movie theatre business running concession stands and projection booths which was significantly less painful

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I would hate being a chef. If you're a half decent one, you're going to work long, thankless hours :(

I work for computers :downs:

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Yea, it isn't ideal (ok, it's moderately terrible), but I'm not an exempt employee, so I do at least get overtime for all this bullshit.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Podima posted:

:staredog: Sometimes I regret not getting into theater while I was in school, and sometimes I'm thankful that I never did. This is one of the latter times.

Good luck!

Generally it's the nice kind of hard and stressful. The fun thing about theatre is that a well-done show will have a huge amount of cooperation and support, it's like a team sport for people who aren't athletic.

This show is not a team effort. It's all about this one person. Theatre doesn't work and is miserable if the focus is only on one or two people.

The worst part is that the director has done all this stuff by herself mostly because she won't trust it to anyone else. She's connected to at least a hundred other local theatre people on social media, but at no point has she done anything like post "hey I have to costume an entire cast in Victorian garb and I'm already pulling quadruple duty on this show, can anyone step in and help?"

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mithross posted:

Yea, it isn't ideal (ok, it's moderately terrible), but I'm not an exempt employee, so I do at least get overtime for all this bullshit.

That is one thing I miss. The amount of overtime available when you're not salaried is awesome.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
is there a word for the feeling of looking at someone and suddenly recognizing that this person is a human being with all their thoughts and feelings and memories and flaws and beauties and you're just left awestruck.

I know there's like some stupid German word but let's make an American one I mean we won the war we get to name things whatever we like.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

is there a word for the feeling of looking at someone and suddenly recognizing that this person is a human being with all their thoughts and feelings and memories and flaws and beauties and you're just left awestruck.

I know there's like some stupid German word but let's make an American one I mean we won the war we get to name things whatever we like.

Groovy

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

i called that turning 14

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

The word is sonder.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

The word is sonder.

Also, when that happens, you say "busy, busy, busy."

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Humanizing, maybe?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

You're looking for "indigestion"

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
sonder was the correct choice thank you everyone (and by everyone I mean keane and a little bit lutr, the rest of you were WORTHLESS)

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Jeez ecco take a pepto bismol and get that out of your system so you resemble a human-beast again

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I was legitimately trying

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 27, 2020

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I prefer my word: amagastruckment.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

TMMadman posted:

I prefer my word: amagastruckment.

sounds german. you got something you wanna confess, fritz? :hitler: where were you between 1939 and 1945????

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

sonder was the correct choice thank you everyone (and by everyone I mean keane and a little bit lutr, the rest of you were WORTHLESS)

If I was outside your apartment right now would you come out and say hi

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Magnus Gallant posted:

I would peek my head out the window and see if it was you either way I would stay inside though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Magnus Gallant posted:

*screams, locks door, barricades door, duct tapes kitchen knife to broom handle and grabs a bat while crowering in corner.*