Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

Tarranon posted:

holy poo poo, wearing a snapback indoors...this guys the real deal...

CIG swag school anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdV-_FP079A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

sorla78 posted:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/14727-The-Escapist-Explains-Its-Star-Citizen-Sources-Vetting-and-Respo

Video evidence was sent by a source, but was not used because we felt it was ambiguous and could not be properly verified. If and when we get verifiable documentation to support the allegations, that will be published.

There is always more and it is always worse.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

god loving :drat:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

It's okay though! There will be a brand new never-before-seen ship for sale a Citizen Con!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3n96xo/totally_unseen_ship_to_be_sold_during_citizen_con/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

AP posted:

For all his talk of Evil Publishers, Chris Roberts pitched it to EA first.

Doh, the evil publishers are evil because they rejected his game.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
love the token black guy in the twitch feed. lmao.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nauta posted:

how the gently caress do i calibrate my joystick properly for elite dangerous

hit windows key, type 'joy.cpl', hit return.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

now that's paper

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Booblord Zagats posted:

Chris was always a low-rent Lawrence Holland

Now I've played Tie Fighter and the Star Wars flight sims, but how was Holland's "Secret Weapons" series? All I know about Secret Weapons over Normandy was that there was a cheat code to get a Tie FIghter.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

There is always more and it is always worse.

You never give everything up in a story, as it helps with the next round of people who want to contribute.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Wow, is Lisa causing tension or not? It looks like she is on the verse to spill something...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yessss gently caress all those stupid loving idiots

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

sorla78 posted:

Wow, is Lisa causing tension or not? It looks like she is on the verse to spill something...

The summary posted:

Everyone will miss Lisa. She’s done a fantastic job, everyone will miss her.
Lisa’s leaving for a great new opportunity that Ben’s pretty jealous of. And now, she’ll answer ship questions!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Tippis posted:

The problem is that it wasn't game design or a core idea that kept them from happening sooner — only feasibility.

SC was pitched on the exact same note. "I couldn't do all I wanted to with freelancer multiplayer in 2002, mostly due to bandwidth limitations, but I feel like I can do it in 2012." And he was right, freelancer shat itself on an average dsl connection in 2003 when you had ~15 players and 30 npcs in your vicinity crashing into each other.

But really, the star citizen idea was sound. It was literally "Battlefield, but with spaceships and asteroids. Also, your sever gets selected by your location instead of server browser, we keep track of your ship and cash globally." Battlefield bad company has been doing this since 2010(stores your xp and gear online). So it isn't even anything new, EA drops a game with this kind of functionality every 2 years, minus the slightly more fancy server selector thing.

Of course after they started pulling tens of millions, they started answering every feature question with "sure, why not" and it quickly became a pie in the sky thing where anything is possible at zombo.com.

Prop Wash posted:

Counterpoint: wing commander was an average game at best

Yeah, honestly the x-wing/tie fighter series are better.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

sorla78 posted:

giogetmoney: i don't understand how they say you don't hire black people but one is behind you
Hey Sorla-- I missed the first half hour. Anything painfully awkward? Did they address the newest elephant in the already overcrowded room?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

HKS posted:

Can someone with vast WC knowledge say whether or not CR really had everything to do with its success?

Like for example Warren Spector is listed as a co-producer of Wing Commander 1, 2, lost missions, and privateer. He also went on to make Deus Ex with a large budget(for it's time) as the head, while their sister studio went on to make Daikatana under the same conditions.

From what I understand, CR was always the guy who wanted to make the movie game — he's been wanting that for 25+ years now. Spector was probably the guy who reigned him in. He was their Allan Ladd Jr. to CR's George Lucas. The deal with Daikatana is partly rockstar-devs gone wild, but mostly how creativity and mechanics need to come together to make a good game. The classic comparison is that it's the Mr. Hyde to Quake 2's Dr. Jekyll — the two games show what happens if you have creativity without sensible gameplay mechanics, and what happens with rock-solid gameplay that are used without any kind of creativity.

Alchenar posted:

Basically any successful game made between 1990 and 1995 forms part of a process whereby the games industry defined the genres that would dominate the increasingly formulaic way games got made for the next 10-15 years. Wing Commander was quickly surpassed, but it still deserves credit for being the game that laid down the path everyone else followed. People copied WC, they didn't copy *several games we've all forgotten because it was 1990 and they weren't very good*.

I think this says essentially, but more charitably, what I'm trying to say. WC took part in defining what a cinematic game should be like and what a light-weight space shooter should provide. The formula was soon iterated on by other games that made refinements and improvements. WC also got lot of things wrong, but that's par for the course when a new genre is in the making, and as we can readily see today, nostalgia will often filter that out anyway.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

:rip: CIG

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

G0RF posted:

Hey Sorla-- I missed the first half hour. Anything painfully awkward? Did they address the newest elephant in the already overcrowded room?

- They are going to sell a totally unknown ship at Citizencon. (unfortunately no elephants were adresssed, but watching it causes a lot of pain - we are deep into cringe)

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

sorla78 posted:

- They are going to sell a totally unknown ship at Citizencon.

The time is neigh. They're going to start selling Bengals.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Swear to loving god Chris's rear end must taste like rainbows and succulent steak because some of them they are trying hard to kiss it

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

sorla78 posted:

- They are going to sell a totally unknown ship at Citizencon. (unfortunately no elephants were adresssed, but watching it causes a lot of pain - we are deep into cringe)

It's like watching PGI respond to bad press.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

"Anonymous source have no credibility!" :suicide:
Someone tell Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein!

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I agree Carlos, and that is also why nobody believed in the info coming from Deep Throat and Nixon never resigned in disgrace.

e: fb

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

sorla78 posted:

- They are going to sell a totally unknown ship at Citizencon.

Haha, the 8 million (or close to it) figure is definitely true.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

BadOptics posted:

I agree Carlos, and that is also why nobody believed in the info coming from Deep Throat and Nixon never resigned in disgrace.
Also no non-anonymous sources ever had to run to russia recently not to be thrown in a CIA jail.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Clearly it's all a vast conspiracy. The 2 current and 6 former employees all agreed ahead of time to stay in contact with one another, and to spread one single story throughout multiple interviews, emails and (obviously fake) video recordings to many different outlets including Escapist, TenTonHammer, and Derek Smart over the course of several months. They picked Sandi, pure blameless noble Sandi, as their villain and scapegoat because as we all know gamers hate women and would more easily believe it.

When Sandi flipped out and fired a bunch of people and more walked out, that was just coincidence and her showing up on camera with vocal chords wrecked the next day was just because she was sick. And this week she's just out of the office!

And Chris Roberts' response to the allegations was an impassioned plea from an entirely reasonable man who just wants to make a game. The revelation that he and Sandi are married and that they are suppressing discussion of that in any channel they remotely control is just the normal kind of step that a man takes to protect the privacy of his wife, who hosts a weekly show and is the head of marketing for the game he is producing!

The many many people fired from Austin is just a restructuring.

Turbulent thanking CIG for funding their crowdfunding software platform was just miscommunication.

Pictures of Sandi hosting script-readings in the CIG offices is just a fun little side project HAHAHA!

EVERYTHING CAN BE EXPLAINED I'M GOING TO BUY MORE SHIPS AT YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Like they're going to loving even consider the idea that Christ Roberts is wrong.

Malleovic
Sep 8, 2007

OMGGG you could've tripped and DIED
Not sure if this is OFN, but apparently Disco Lando, attempting to close a thread on the RSI forums relating to the Escapist article furor, mistakenly stickied it instead.

Extra lulz for his other messages in the thread cataloging his fumbling attempts to find the correct button.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Deki posted:

Like they're going to loving even consider the idea that Christ Roberts is wrong.
Christ Roberts is NOT A CROOK.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Onmi posted:

Swear to loving god Chris's rear end must taste like rainbows and succulent steak because some of them they are trying hard to kiss it

That's where he keeps all the unreleased jpegs.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Onmi posted:

Okay, gonna clear up "You" to refer to a generic person. Like "How do you open this door?" Not "You" to refer to Yourself

So in this case. How do the insane cultists who worship at Croberts feet become so obsessed with this non-existent game to the point of being willing to defend it to what appears to be the death? Especially when I think of a game like Elite, which is a space sim and seems much more fun.

I mean, right now they keep trumpeting out a reddit link that 'discredits liz' except actual analysis of the 'discrediting' shows that only one is close, and nothing stops it from being copied by the same source after the interview. And to me, they seem convinced that Smart is puppeting the Escapist to destroy Star Citizen to kickstart his own career.

But okay, lets assume they aren't crazy cultists, where does the escapist benefit in this? Because this has to be a conspiracy between Smart, Liz, the EiC and all of the legal department who's job is to expressly stop anyone from posting falsehoods that can get them sued into oblivion. So assuming that Star Citizen is actually perfect like these cultists think. What is Smart offering the Escapist to make the inevitable lawsuit worth it? It makes no sense from any stand point.

Ah, ok, I thought you were referring to me and got confused.

I think it's a number of factors. Part of it is money and the sunk cost fallacy. It's that weird psychological thing where once someone puts money into something, they feel an emotional commitment and basically decide "This has to work, or I'll be hosed!" This leads to all sorts of stupid poo poo. People will throw even more money at a failing project they have money invested in because they're worried they'll lose what's been placed in earlier. It also leads to a lot of emotional investment, since they've stopped behaving rationally. The rational behavior is, of course, to treat any money placed in an investment as lost when deciding future courses of action.

Sunk cost is the big one, but I think there's also the fact that Star Citizen was perfectly designed to inspire nostalgia in a lot of people, me included to a degree. I loved Privateer and Wing Commander, and an MMO Privateer would've been my dream game. Fortunately, an unending torrent of cynicism from others and my own response to the horrific feature creep derailed that pretty quickly, but for a lot of these people that's probably still going strong.

Finally, I think some of these people don't have a lot going on in their lives, so they find things that give them meaning and look for echo chambers that reinforce that meaning. It's why the Reddit and RSI forums are such a mess. Echo chambers and hugboxes are always going to appeal to some people, and if giving up money and dunking your head in the sand means belonging, so be it.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Beeeeeer, you got mentioned by Ben.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Toplowtech posted:

I think it's wrong to compare CR to Nixon. Nixon actually did some good.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Even if CIG weren't a hostile place to work at before, you've gotta imagine the tension in the office this week.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Skoll posted:

The time is neigh. They're going to start selling Bengals.

It is going to be the Vanduul Lu Bu triple-halberd.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

90 million US dollars.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Darth Vader has arrived

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Toplowtech posted:

This is true IMO. He genuinely seems to want to do this. It's just his management skills keep getting in the way.

• Locked thread