Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What is everyone doing for Halloween? Do you have a spooky costume planned? Will you be doing some spooky Halloween horror gaming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I would say that I Dread this thread, but then it might all come crashing down!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I'm going to be STing World of Darkness this October with one of my gaming groups. I'm hoping it will be a fun time for all.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
I'm doing my radio show, it's gonna get loving SPOOPY!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A lot of horror is about inevitability, or forces much greater than you, or inescapable doom: Lovecraft, Friday the 13th, etc. What's the best way to emulate horror in an RPG without taking all agency away from the players?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i will probably be in Toronto, Canada playing dragon ball z cards, OP.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

FactsAreUseless posted:

A lot of horror is about inevitability, or forces much greater than you, or inescapable doom: Lovecraft, Friday the 13th, etc. What's the best way to emulate horror in an RPG without taking all agency away from the players?

Countblanc posted:

Toronto, Canada

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

FactsAreUseless posted:

What is everyone doing for Halloween? Do you have a spooky costume planned? Will you be doing some spooky Halloween horror gaming?
my costume will be "slutty grieving mother"

she is grieving because your terrible posts have broken her heart, leaving only a hollow shell

she is also slutty

basically i'm going to be sobbing over a tablet with this thread open and cradling it and whispering shh, no, sweetling, it's alright, someday your posts will bring me joy even though i don't believe it and the dearth of faith or hope or /anything/ comes out in my hollowdesperate voice

i'm also going to be p. slutty

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
probably getting ready for another session of anime d&d on irc on the following sunday, since halloween is exactly one week from my birthday, which is saturday!

also i may dress up as a GM that posts a game on the forums

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
got a DBZ Nationals tournament on

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ningyou posted:

my costume will be "slutty grieving mother"

she is grieving because your terrible posts have broken her heart, leaving only a hollow shell

she is also slutty

basically i'm going to be sobbing over a tablet with this thread open and cradling it and whispering shh, no, sweetling, it's alright, someday your posts will bring me joy even though i don't believe it and the dearth of faith or hope or /anything/ comes out in my hollowdesperate voice

i'm also going to be p. slutty
Well then I guess I'll have to go as all three of the Billygoats Gruff so that I can cross your bridge.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm going as the spookiest thing a Canadian can imagine: a giant cup of Tim Hortons coffee with the rim rolled up to reveal a 'Try Again!' message.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Bieeardo posted:

I'm going as the spookiest thing a Canadian can imagine: a giant cup of Tim Hortons coffee with the rim rolled up to reveal a 'Try Again!' message.

The spookiest thing is actually the guy in front of you getting the last contest cup in the store. Dunno how you turn that into a costume though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I reject American cultural Imperialism OP

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm going to post about how much I love satan and use the word "spoopy" as frequently as possible.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Pfox posted:

The spookiest thing is actually the guy in front of you getting the last contest cup in the store. Dunno how you turn that into a costume though.

I'm going to need a mannequin and at least two Red Greens of duct tape.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Bieeardo posted:

I'm going to need a mannequin and at least two Red Greens of duct tape.
:allears:

Evil Sagan posted:

I'm going to post about how much I love satan and use the word "spoopy" as frequently as possible.
don't you do that normally

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

yes, but what are you doing for Halloween?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Hosting a party and attending two horror film festivals

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Thesaurasaurus posted:

yes, but what are you doing for Halloween?
i'll give you a hint

it involves someone whipping me with licorice rope until i tearfullyshakily recite the Sweetums Sovereign Loyalty Pledge and promise that i'll be a good canadian candy canadian? Candynadian, a model Candynadian, that i won't betray this GREAT LAND WITH ITS GOLDit's really just foil and chocolate and oh my GOD it's miserable to walk on in the summer-PAVED STREETS AND MAJESTIC RASPBERRY-MILK RIVERS AND GRAND REJECTION OF THOSE DUMB FUCKIN NERDS WHO INSIST ON STUFF LIKE "eating" ""vegetables"", promise that i'd sooner beg for a marzipan heart and a head full of fairy-floss and emptiness and appreciation than RUIN my NEW HOME--

and then netflix i guess idk

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Ningyou posted:

netflix and boo?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

FactsAreUseless posted:

The LARP I go to throws a big, national event every Halloween, which I'll be attending. We're currently expecting approximately 800 people in attendance.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Ningyou posted:

i'll give you a hint

it involves someone whipping me with licorice rope until i tearfullyshakily recite the Sweetums Sovereign Loyalty Pledge and promise that i'll be a good canadian candy canadian? Candynadian, a model Candynadian, that i won't betray this GREAT LAND WITH ITS GOLDit's really just foil and chocolate and oh my GOD it's miserable to walk on in the summer-PAVED STREETS AND MAJESTIC RASPBERRY-MILK RIVERS AND GRAND REJECTION OF THOSE DUMB FUCKIN NERDS WHO INSIST ON STUFF LIKE "eating" ""vegetables"", promise that i'd sooner beg for a marzipan heart and a head full of fairy-floss and emptiness and appreciation than RUIN my NEW HOME--

Candyland got 90s grimdark as gently caress when I wasn't looking

Netflix is cool but it's kinda sad to watch it struggle and thrash while the networks and studios do their damnedest to kill it, and I am p. sure Hulu was a calculated attempt to undercut Netflix's business model and then dismantle it like General Motors did to public streetcars.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

haha idk how you get 90s grimdark from that dumb thing but okay buddy

also the appeal of hulu kind of baffles me bc it basically seems like netflix for people who went 'GOLLY THIS NETFLIX THINGAMAJIG IS PLUM SWELL BUT DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT NEEDS??? constant, intrusive advertisement'

like was it ever not poo poo

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Ningyou posted:

also the appeal of hulu kind of baffles me bc it basically seems like netflix for people who went 'GOLLY THIS NETFLIX THINGAMAJIG IS PLUM SWELL BUT DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT NEEDS??? constant, intrusive advertisement'

like was it ever not poo poo

Hulu's main thing was having currently running shows on demand, before other on-demand services got real big. Now it's main purpose is

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm too smart to pay for streaming.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

They started out by allowing you to watch entire runs of hosted shows on demand, for free. Then they started gating the most popular shows, or at least the newest episodes, behind a subscription paywall. Then they started hosting only those new episodes and paywalling them. All the while, Netflix's licenses were either pulled or expired and not allowed to re-up - not universally, but their on-demand selection used to be a lot bigger.

Seriously I'm pretty sure Hulu was started to undercut Netflix's model so Hulu's owners could start jacking up the price later once they'd cornered the market and get back some of their pre-digital distribution revenues. Of course, then people just got better at piracy so the whole move was basically pointless spitefulness.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Ningyou posted:

I blame the British.

Edit: Jesus Christ, he's got candy thermometers for kneecaps.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh allsorts

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Ningyou posted:

don't you do that normally

Yes, and I'm going to continue doing it on Halloween :colbert:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FactsAreUseless posted:

im going as a copy of fatal

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Literally The Worst posted:

im going as a copy of fatal

username/post checks out

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I would just like to let everyone know that I am finally getting around to watching Rick & Morty and enjoying it immensely.

"Wow, I really Cronenberg'd up the world, didn't I?"

That is all.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Bieeardo posted:

As a Canadian-in-Exile, the scariest thing to me is Americans going out of their way to tell me how much they enjoy Tim Hortons.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Remind me gents. What rpgs have hit location tables for the human body instead of a collective amount of hit points; and each limb on the hit location chart tracks it's own damage?

I think Aces and Eights does this right?

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
Reign and Wild Talents (and probably other One Roll Engine systems) do the hit locations with each location having its own damage track.

EDIT: technically, it doesn't use a table but that's because determining hit location is built in to how dice are rolled

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Also GURPS, where there are separate tallies for overall injury and damage done to a hit location - these things are related, but there's a cap on how much damage to any given spot can shave off your health (unless it's your head, in which case WELP).

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Remind me gents. What rpgs have hit location tables for the human body instead of a collective amount of hit points; and each limb on the hit location chart tracks it's own damage?

Runequest does this really well.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I love horse racing RPG Run Equest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

quote:

Unhallowed Metropolis has that, kind of, but in general it has a... novel approach to HP, let's say.

UMet tracks "wounds," and makes you keep track of where those wounds are. But you can take the first two kinds of wounds all day and not die -- you just death spiral further and further from stacking penalties. If you get an "Incapacitating wound" (someone rolls 17-20 damage on 2d10 plus skill plus weapon damage, minus your armour), whatever body part that's on is now impaired for the scene. You don't find out what's actually wrong with it until later, when you can get it examined. If you take as many incapacitating wounds as you have Vitality (strength), you die. That basically never happens, though, because if anyone ever rolls at least 21 damage to you at one go, you just die outright. You can optionally use the hit location table to find out where an attack hit if you don't feel like using a called shot. The idea is, I think, that you use that if you want a chance to land a headshot without taking the normal -3 penalty. Except... on the hit location chart, you need to roll a 20 on 2d10 unmodified to hit the head or the heart. I'm pretty sure that's like, a 1% chance? Hovering around that, somewhere. So there's literally no reason why you wouldn't just always use called shots if you have at least a +3 bonus to hit. Which you will, unless you deliberately made yourself helpless in combat during character generation.

The makers of that game were not great at math.

• Locked thread