Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Me : Math :: Frankenstein : Fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Facebook/Twitter/a Snapchat that I really only have for like 3 friends who semi-regularly use it

If we're counting defunct stuff, when I was like 12 I had an account in Netbattle and the online competitive Pokemon forums at IGN. I kinda wish I could find my old teams somehow, all I remember really clearly is that:
- Skarmory/Blissey was the meta at the time
- I won my match in the championship of a 3v3 team challenge thing where I was playing in the Underused-tier match of the sets of 3. I scrimmed against the person I'd be playing (from the overwhelming favorites to win from the beginning) and switched out my Flareon's Hidden Power from Earth to Electric between that and our original match and pulled a huge upset. Then both of my teammates lost :rip:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

holy gently caress newgrounds, do oyu have an account on albinoblacksheep also

I don't think people posting on somethingawful.com should be mocking old websites that have passed their prime.

Little Mac posted:

I was gonna reply to all the stuff about facial hair, meeting goons, ages, etc, but Asiina's statistics post from like eight pages ago made me so mad.

Math is good and fun.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Little Mac posted:

Oh I have a Facebook. It's a good Facebook. Someone from here added me recently but I don't know what their forum name is.

:ocelot:

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Asiina posted:

Math is good and fun.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

DuckHuntDog posted:

It would not be fair to let us actually compete, regardless of team size.

The taco shop is a soft target. What we need to do is to go back to Fado, the land of our greatest disappointments, and win there for once, take a crack at the progressive jackpot they have there. The problem with that is that it's on Tuesday, so Frisbee can't make it, and it's downtown, so us northerners have to actually get down there and find parking and all that noise.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Look Under The Rock posted:

Tldr our director has pushed her cast into a state of complete exhaustion immediately before opening night and

Oh god. My company enters tech on Sunday for the first production after a 2+ year hiatus. This is the worst possible production story and now I'm worried.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Math is the enemy of the language arts. Math must be put to death and a poem must be written about it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Asiina posted:

I don't think people posting on somethingawful.com should be mocking old websites that have passed their prime.

haters gonna hate

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
For accounts that I still use on a regular basis I have this, facebook, and a support website for people who have had weight loss surgery, and that's usually just advice or questions, not just chatting. I've never been the kind of person who hangs out in multiple communities. I'll have one that I spend all my time on and that's it. If I ever disappear from here it'll be because I've gone on to something else.

If we go back through my internet timeline, the very first was a BBS that my step-father ran, which is how he met my mom actually, so that would have been around '94. Then there was the #Canada channel on irc DALnet, which was one of the default IRC servers back then. My mom and step-father used to go there too, so we were all known, but of course we only had one computer so only one person could be on there at a time. This was where I came up with my very first internet name of Athena. That lasted until probably '96-97. After that I belonged to a newsgroup for dragonball (alt.fan.dragonball, I believe?) which also had an irc channel which I would hang out in. It was here that I changed my name to Asiina because we changed IRC servers and Athena was taken, so I asked for a ~Japanese~ sounding version of Athena and someone gave me this. I was going by ^^Athena^ for a while because of that though, which is hilarious. That was a couple of years and probably lasted until around 2000. Then I was on True Meaning of Life, which was a strange little website where people would submit questions and then characters from video games would answer them. It was actually run by people who were part of SA back when it first started and then either got banned or whatever there was some drama so I think it actually started as an offshoot site for SA. I spent quite a long time there and made some good friends and I'm still friends with some of them, and one of them was the very first internet person I ever met and was my first time going to the US. We went to her brother's place in the middle of the woods where they made a huge bonfire and there was a party and I'm pretty sure I drank moonshine. It was a lot of fun. I remember being 18 at the time, so that must have been 2002. I stopped going there when I started going to Penny Arcade and posting in the anime thread there, and that was 2005 because the first big anime we all talked about was the original Fullmetal Alchemist. There were a lot of people there that I am still friends with. I think I was there for about a year or two, but the anime eventually got kicked out of PA, so we made our own offshoot forum. I spent years there, but eventually went back to PA full time because TF2 came out and I got really into TF2. We ran tournaments out of PA and had multiple servers and it was a super good time. Adus and I know each other from that time. That lasted years and years, but eventually the game got too full of community fluff and I lost interest, and I started lurking SA, but rarely posting. Then I was lurking the Survivor thread and saw an advertisement for Awful Big Brother from John Cena, and the rest is history. I maybe had 50 posts on SA before ABB. I participated in one of the PA secret santas the year of ABB, but didn't last year and won't this year since I haven't really been back there in a year.

I still have all my accounts for all of these places (that use an account system) and they are still bookmarked in my "forums" bookmark folder, but I haven't done more than casually glanced at many of them in years.

I don't know if anyone will read this wall of text, but it was fun to reminisce.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I have like six defunct livejournals and four defunct xangas

I like the idea of disposable social media tbh. Right now, in order of how much I use them, from most to least, I have
Facebook
SA
Cyberpunk fandom tumblr
Instagram
Main tumblr
Twitter
Two other tumblrs I keep meaning to put content on
Secondhand comedy Twitter
Reddit that I really only use to keep up on band news

Soooo yeah tumblr. Lately with my complete lack of spare time I've been mostly updating the cyberpunk blog because that one actually has followers. When I use my main tumblr it's usually just to reblog shitposts from my weirdo friend who finds the strangest stuff.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, and I had a livejournal that I posted in from 2001 until about 2006 on a semi-regular basis, but my very last entry was in 2008 and it was about moving out of my parents house into my very first apartment and how scared I was. :3:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I think 'disposable social media' and 'anonymous blogging' are exactly the same thing, just from different eras. I know many friends with tumblrs and most of them won't think of sharing them with me. To them it would be the equivalent of showing their browser history.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Asiina posted:

I don't know if anyone will read this wall of text, but it was fun to reminisce.

I did Asiina!

I went by a number of dumb usernames in my time but I settled on this one when I started playing TF2 and pretty much only played a charging demo knight. I don't have that many hours on Steam because I played mostly before steam started counting, and remember pretty much stopping after the mannconomy update.

I remember I was part of this community called All Originals for a few months, and loved their Smorgasbord server until the Korean owner disappeared with all the site donations. They made a new group called Refugee or something but they didn't do a good job of inviting all the old people (probably because of drama) so I just quit generally.

Some of my irl friends play a lot of MvM because they're total weirdos.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I've used the same username for so long that when I do want to make something anonymous that will never be connected to me it's hard cause I have to think of a new username.

As I say in all my secret santa clue posts, I'm the only Asiina on the internet. It is incredibly easy to stalk me.

If I ever had to scrub the internet clean of me I wouldn't even know where to begin.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
I really like being the only hiipfire on the internet its nice

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Asiina posted:

For accounts that I still use on a regular basis I have this, facebook, and a support website for people who have had weight loss surgery, and that's usually just advice or questions, not just chatting. I've never been the kind of person who hangs out in multiple communities. I'll have one that I spend all my time on and that's it. If I ever disappear from here it'll be because I've gone on to something else.

If we go back through my internet timeline, the very first was a BBS that my step-father ran, which is how he met my mom actually, so that would have been around '94. Then there was the #Canada channel on irc DALnet, which was one of the default IRC servers back then. My mom and step-father used to go there too, so we were all known, but of course we only had one computer so only one person could be on there at a time. This was where I came up with my very first internet name of Athena. That lasted until probably '96-97. After that I belonged to a newsgroup for dragonball (alt.fan.dragonball, I believe?) which also had an irc channel which I would hang out in. It was here that I changed my name to Asiina because we changed IRC servers and Athena was taken, so I asked for a ~Japanese~ sounding version of Athena and someone gave me this. I was going by ^^Athena^ for a while because of that though, which is hilarious. That was a couple of years and probably lasted until around 2000. Then I was on True Meaning of Life, which was a strange little website where people would submit questions and then characters from video games would answer them. It was actually run by people who were part of SA back when it first started and then either got banned or whatever there was some drama so I think it actually started as an offshoot site for SA. I spent quite a long time there and made some good friends and I'm still friends with some of them, and one of them was the very first internet person I ever met and was my first time going to the US. We went to her brother's place in the middle of the woods where they made a huge bonfire and there was a party and I'm pretty sure I drank moonshine. It was a lot of fun. I remember being 18 at the time, so that must have been 2002. I stopped going there when I started going to Penny Arcade and posting in the anime thread there, and that was 2005 because the first big anime we all talked about was the original Fullmetal Alchemist. There were a lot of people there that I am still friends with. I think I was there for about a year or two, but the anime eventually got kicked out of PA, so we made our own offshoot forum. I spent years there, but eventually went back to PA full time because TF2 came out and I got really into TF2. We ran tournaments out of PA and had multiple servers and it was a super good time. Adus and I know each other from that time. That lasted years and years, but eventually the game got too full of community fluff and I lost interest, and I started lurking SA, but rarely posting. Then I was lurking the Survivor thread and saw an advertisement for Awful Big Brother from John Cena, and the rest is history. I maybe had 50 posts on SA before ABB. I participated in one of the PA secret santas the year of ABB, but didn't last year and won't this year since I haven't really been back there in a year.

I still have all my accounts for all of these places (that use an account system) and they are still bookmarked in my "forums" bookmark folder, but I haven't done more than casually glanced at many of them in years.

tl;dr

you're still a good person tho

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I read your wall of text, Asiina. I don't think I posted on many boards before SA. I used to post on Fark a bit and on the lovely forums attached to an online puzzle called The Enigma Puzzle at one point, but I think that's about it other than various video game official forums.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

tl;dr

you're still a good person tho

It's cool, it is probably pretty boring. I just like that my life is divisible into easily defined chunks. My real life follows a very similar pattern of 3-4 year groups where I am doing one thing and then inevitably go do something completely different.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i used to post on gamefaqs :negative:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

i used to post on gamefaqs :negative:

Oooooooooooooof

Cal forums : gamefaqs :: something awful : reddit/4chan

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Oooooooooooooof

Cal forums : gamefaqs :: something awful : reddit/4chan

i only posted in gamespecific boards i think, not like their weird community circlejerk poo poo tho

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Haha captain foo doesn't afraid of anything lmao!!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BottleKnight posted:

Haha captain foo doesn't afraid of anything lmao!!

idgi

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

A very very bad meme.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i had a roommate who posted on gamefaqs a LOT

he was cool, gamefaqs was not

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Last night I had dinner with Amoeba, Bowmore, busb and Mills. The company was awesome. The food was not.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I have a lot of different usernames for different things. I have been a lot of places.

This is a tumblr I used to update with the best, worst, and weirdest character biographies I could find in Star Trek Online: http://storfleet.tumblr.com/

I have another one for another dumb project that is not ready for prime time yet.

The problem with gamefaqs is that so many of the faqs are actively unhelpful, skipping over sections of gameplay because "this part's so easy, I don't need to explain how to beat it," when that's the entire reason you're on the loving site in the first place. Now it may be even worse since you have to get the information by watching some shitass's walkthrough on youtube, and all the parts are like a half hour long, so you have to fast forward and hope you don't miss it and hope that you can actually follow the correct methodology by just watching this 14-year-old do it the once. Ugh.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 27, 2020

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

When I was in 8th grade I made very very dumb youtube let's play videos with a DVD recorder and sony vegas which got me hundreds of thousands of views. (not exaggerating)

I deleted them all a year and a half or so later because in all of the videos I had a prepubescent voice and I had moved on so completely.

I sometimes I wish I had archived them so I could see some of them and reminisce but they really were the absolute worst. But simultaneously I'm glad nobody else could ever find them either.

But being around Let's Play is what got me to this forum even if I don't watch them or like that community at all anymore.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Asiina posted:

I've used the same username for so long that when I do want to make something anonymous that will never be connected to me it's hard cause I have to think of a new username.

As I say in all my secret santa clue posts, I'm the only Asiina on the internet. It is incredibly easy to stalk me.

If I ever had to scrub the internet clean of me I wouldn't even know where to begin.

I've personally used different names for different communities, I ghosted the gently caress out on the IGN boards people/WoW guild after ~3 years apiece (I think?) and have never used the names I used there again.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I have flickr?

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

BottleKnight posted:

When I was in 8th grade I made very very dumb youtube let's play videos with a DVD recorder and sony vegas which got me hundreds of thousands of views. (not exaggerating)
I did this too except it was with cod and the videos still exist

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

I deleted them all a year and a half or so later because in all of the videos I had a prepubescent voice and I had moved on so completely.

I sometimes I wish I had archived them so I could see some of them and reminisce but they really were the absolute worst. But simultaneously I'm glad nobody else could ever find them either.

But being around Let's Play is what got me to this forum even if I don't watch them or like that community at all anymore.

what games lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
~~~ my internet past is mysterious and weird ~~~

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
When I was in middle school I made AMVs for anime games and that was the worst thing I've ever done

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

what games lol

I don't remember everything but at one point if you searched Tony Hawk's Underground on youtube I was the first result.

HiipFire posted:

I did this too except it was with cod and the videos still exist

link pls

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
My past internet was myspace before facebook was popular and a livejournal that i wrote in like 3 times. I was also a regular on the "unruly politics" forum.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ_vxYXL-kY
im the squeaky kid who introduces the video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

HiipFire posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ_vxYXL-kY
im the squeaky kid who introduces the video

:laffo:

So your testicles have dropped since then right?

Also CoD:MW2 was hilariously broken.