Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Iron Tusk posted:

This is one part I don't really believe without way more detail. I don't think uk and German employees are being paid out of a us account. Among all the things in his rant, Chris's point about line level people having no clue about the finances is probably true. Unless the leaker is CIG's Littlefinger. As someone pointed out there's a good chance they aren't using backer funds directly to fund their operation.

This is a company that stored all of their development assets on a publicly accessible server. I would bet a good deal of money that if someone computer savvy wanted to find the company books in the office they could do it no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Reason posted:

I wonder, do they refund all charges on the account? I sold one of my ships and I'm hoping they refund me for the whole deal.

No, they'll refund you what's currently on the account, otherwise people can play silly buggers with money.

bres0048
Oct 29, 2012

AP posted:

Congratulations. Did CIG put up much resistance?

It took about 2.5 weeks, but that was a month ago. I think the flood gates have been opened now.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I have yet to fully wrap my head around the fact that people spend thousands of dollars for fake spaceships for a game that doesn't exist

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

bres0048 posted:

I had $5200 into this, started the refund about a month ago. Got 3300 back from cig and sold the remainder to silly redditors. They like going down with the ships

i would love to know what made you pay anything above $60 for a video game

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Regarding their CFO - I found that guy on linkedin a while ago can't remember his name - but he worked as Finance Director at one of the EA studios before.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I have yet to fully wrap my head around the fact that people spend thousands of dollars for fake spaceships for a game that doesn't exist

They spent it on faith and hope. If you can sell faith and hope to the masses (or a desperate niche) and anyone can make millions.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

The Emperor's New Clothes

A vain Emperor who cares about nothing except wearing and displaying clothes hires two swindlers who promise him the finest, best suit of clothes from a fabric invisible to anyone who is unfit for his position or "hopelessly stupid". The Emperor's ministers cannot see the clothing themselves, but pretend that they can for fear of appearing unfit for their positions and the Emperor does the same. Finally the swindlers report that the suit is finished, they mime dressing him and the Emperor marches in procession before his subjects. The townsfolk play along with the pretense, not wanting to appear unfit for their positions or stupid. Then a child in the crowd, too young to understand the desirability of keeping up the pretense, blurts out that the Emperor is wearing nothing at all* and the cry is taken up by others. The Emperor cringes, suspects the assertion is true, but continues the procession.

* You are here.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
this thread is moving at the speed of ~10 posts / min

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Nation posted:

(realtalk) I imagine it was a lot of rampant speculation about how this fake-game will have grand faction battles like EVE, since everyone seemed to think that it was going to basically be FPS EVE. This lead to people buying up every ship they could get their hands on in hopes that goonfleet would happen in SC

so, in essence, people with so little impact or control over their own personal lives felt a little twinge of glory giving crobberts their retirement funds and school loans

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Iron Tusk posted:

This is one part I don't really believe without way more detail. I don't think uk and German employees are being paid out of a us account. Among all the things in his rant, Chris's point about line level people having no clue about the finances is probably true. Unless the leaker is CIG's Littlefinger. As someone pointed out there's a good chance they aren't using backer funds directly to fund their operation.

The thing is CR doesn't have a good history with money. He ran out on Freelancer, so I doubt he's been cunning about the use of funds. Don't get me wrong CR is a great ideas guy.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

BexGu posted:

They spent it on faith and hope. If you can sell faith and hope to the masses (or a desperate niche) and anyone can make millions.

there is nothing that makes less sense to me than this. wishing wells, televangelists, scientology, fringe politicians, bitcoin, whatever. all of those make more sense than a special imaginary spaceship for a video game that is years from being a thing

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

My LinkedIn account isn't premium. Can anyone here view this:

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/vi...AOUT_OF_NETWORK

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Iron Tusk posted:

They'd lose money just moving it around, it makes more sense to pay F42 with Sterling, Frankfurt with Euro's. US offices with dollars, and only cover shortages when needed.

The 8 million has always looked like a dodgy claim to me as Smart previously mentioned 20 odd million weeks back. Plus you'd expect there to only be a small core of people who would know the total amount left, but on the other hand if CIG really is as unprofessional as the rumours, maybe they do talk about the real figure freely internally.

From the interview with the Space lawyer buddy of Roberts, he mentioned they upgraded to a better website using backer funds, so it won't surprise me if they just spend, spend, spend.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Iron Tusk posted:

iirc, the article said that the $8 million figure was "common knowledge" amongst the staff and expressed consistently among the people they spoke with. Which really doesn't mean much because these kinds of office rumors always exist and aren't necessarily based on anything substantial.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Snuffman posted:

35 bucks was the early-backer amount, I think? I backed at that level too.

Sounds right, I dunno though I didn't do kickstarter or anything I just bought it a few months ago

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

sorla78 posted:

Regarding their CFO - I found that guy on linkedin a while ago can't remember his name - but he worked as Finance Director at one of the EA studios before.
I think their CFO might currently be moonlighting as Derek Smart's lawyer.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

RuckusRouser posted:

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/joe-sothy/27/0/aa0

bres0048
Oct 29, 2012

Nation posted:

I had a lot of multiples, mostly hornet or 300 varients. I guess the plan was just to sell stuff to the people that didnt get in on the ground floor. There was a gogle doc with goonfleet on it in one of the old threads. Also I went full neckbeard and tossed abunch of disposable income at it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Nauta posted:

this thread is moving at the speed of ~10 posts / min

Personally, I want for the thread to have more posts

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

RuckusRouser posted:

No but after reading the public version.
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/joe-sothy/27/0/aa0

I noticed this:

quote:

Bachelor of Commerce (BCom), Accounting
1980 – 1986

He took 7 years to complete his degree (one part of me hopes he did the degree part time).

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

huh..who is that? 7

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

(realtalk) I imagine it was a lot of rampant speculation about how this fake-game will have grand faction battles like EVE, since everyone seemed to think that it was going to basically be FPS EVE. This lead to people buying up every ship they could get their hands on in hopes that goonfleet would happen in SC

so, in essence, people with so little impact or control over their own personal lives felt a little twinge of glory giving crobberts their retirement funds and school loans

The moment I gave up on the game not being a complete scam was when they announced a sale of a insanely expensive battleship or something (guns literally sold separately) and they'd use the money they made from that to subsidize lower cost starter packages. Sounds cool! However, the number of the subsidized was ludicrously small (for an digital item with no real value) and most were purchased by whales who were going to have their NPCs fly them.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14314-Star-Citizen-Anniversary-Sale

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I can't stand it anymore, the level of retard flowing from the forums is too much

They already have 90 million, lets give them another 10 so they can hire more lawyers

If I keep saying 'its MY game' enough maybe I can convince myself I really am a part of something, and not just a number. Also take more of my money because I'm obviously brain dead

So what if they missed ANOTHER deadline, let's shower them in more money I'm sure that'll make all our dreams come true

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Zeike posted:

huh..who is that? 7

yea I would 7 this thread too if I could

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

The moment I gave up on the game not being a complete scam was when they announced a sale of a insanely expensive battleship or something (guns literally sold separately) and they'd use the money they made from that to subsidize lower cost starter packages. Sounds cool! However, the number of the subsidized was ludicrously small (for an digital item with no real value) and most were purchased by whales who were going to have their NPCs fly them.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14314-Star-Citizen-Anniversary-Sale

I mean, the artificial scarcity in general should be enough for anyone

sorry guys the javelin mines plum gave out

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

Thanks

From the profile:
"Everything financial in this really cool and leading edge computer gaming company"

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

No Mods No Masters posted:

I will join you in your noble quest, my goon not actually my personal goon

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Sappo569 posted:

I can't stand it anymore, the level of retard flowing from the forums is too much

They already have 90 million, lets give them another 10 so they can hire more lawyers

If I keep saying 'its MY game' enough maybe I can convince myself I really am a part of something, and not just a number. Also take more of my money because I'm obviously brain dead

So what if they missed ANOTHER deadline, let's shower them in more money I'm sure that'll make all our dreams come true

Whenever you get mad looking at posts like these, just remember that like dickwulf these people are all abject failures in all aspects of their life. Then it just becomes sad. Like, how can you be mad at someone who spent 20k on a fake game while they are unemployed? They should be pitied.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Puppy Galaxy posted:

there is nothing that makes less sense to me than this. wishing wells, televangelists, scientology, fringe politicians, bitcoin, whatever. all of those make more sense than a special imaginary spaceship for a video game that is years from being a thing

Another little wrinkle is that Star Citizen hit right at the prime video game kick-starter period. Chris Roberts was a established name, had produced games, and was trying to make something that was from a bit of forgotten niche genre. Of course the desperate and lonely where going to flock to him. I forgot who posted it earlier but most of the people that played Roberts games where probably in there teens/early 20s and now are in their 30/40s with some amount of disposable income and are still chasing the memory of how much fun they had while playing a old Chris Roberts game. The after kick-starter marketing was just a bit of genius through on how to string suckers along and sell that hope/sunk cost line even further.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

No Mods No Masters posted:

same

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
The reporter of the Escapist article says in that podcast that there was alot of information that she did not include, saying that it was "very intimate information that was even more concerning than what I showed".

:wow:

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
#imacitizen #imabacker

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

bres0048 posted:

It took about 2.5 weeks, but that was a month ago. I think the flood gates have been opened now.

It's tradition. At this point you're meant to say what you're going to buy with the money, relax and enjoy the show.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

They'd lose money just moving it around, it makes more sense to pay F42 with Sterling, Frankfurt with Euro's. US offices with dollars, and only cover shortages when needed.

The 8 million has always looked like a dodgy claim to me as Smart previously mentioned 20 odd million weeks back. Plus you'd expect there to only be a small core of people who would know the total amount left, but on the other hand if CIG really is as unprofessional as the rumours, maybe they do talk about the real figure freely internally.

From the interview with the Space lawyer buddy of Roberts, he mentioned they upgraded to a better website using backer funds, so it won't surprise me if they just spend, spend, spend.

I worked for a manufacturing firm as a project manager several years ago that came up with a new invention (on paper) that promised to bring the company millions if realized. So as we started building this thing, a lot of things came to light that weren't going to work or would need to be revised. Long story short, instead of doing what needed to be done and revising the parts that needed to be changed, the CEO and P.E. ordered everything to keep trucking along as originally planned as they went out across the globe selling this product and throwing features on top of a system that wasn't going to work in the first place.

I jumped ship well before the inevitable crash, thanks mostly in part to the CFO and some friends in accounting talking about how much money we were hemorrhaging. Take that with what I could actually see we were spending on areas of the project that weren't going to work and I could see the hand writing on the wall, along with several others.

All that being said, I don't doubt for a minute that there are people at CIG that know the financials or have access to a good portion of them and talk to the rank and file. People in the gaming and development sector could probably approximate pretty well the costs and the rest of their crazy purchases are documented across the internet. It's not hard to see where $90 mil of crowdfunds could go *poof* really quickly.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Rastor posted:

90 million US dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPY4mtT2xfg

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Justin Tyme posted:

Whenever you get mad looking at posts like these, just remember that like dickwulf these people are all abject failures in all aspects of their life. Then it just becomes sad. Like, how can you be mad at someone who spent 20k on a fake game while they are unemployed? They should be pitied.

It's worse than that. A large number of them may be hoarders. They may be writing posts about $10m worth of lawyers instead of cleaning the leaking cat goo pooling around their fridge from the dead cats that accidentally thawed out.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

The reporter of the Escapist article says in that podcast that there was alot of information that she did not include, saying that it was "very intimate information that was even more concerning than what I showed".

:wow:

CIG LA office, it's like cluedo only with nerf guns, drugs, secret videos, sex toys and a half opened safe stuffed with cash.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

BexGu posted:

Another little wrinkle is that Star Citizen hit right at the prime video game kick-starter period. Chris Roberts was a established name, had produced games, and was trying to make something that was from a bit of forgotten niche genre. Of course the desperate and lonely where going to flock to him. I forgot who posted it earlier but most of the people that played Roberts games where probably in there teens/early 20s and now are in their 30/40s with some amount of disposable income and are still chasing the memory of how much fun they had while playing a old Chris Roberts game. The after kick-starter marketing was just a bit of genius through on how to string suckers along and sell that hope/sunk cost line even further.

This is very true. I would pay for a kickstarter to fund a sequel to games I grew up with like Capitalism, Ports of Call, Harpoon, (I'm weird, yes), mostly because I think very highly of them due to nostalgia, but also because games like these don't get made (that much) anymore.

SC (together with ED) were big nostalgia filled wet dreams for many backers that grew up with WC, Elite, Xwing etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

And it looks really nice and seems like the controls are tight from what videos I saw. They're using UE4 right? Just goes to show how loving awful cryengine is.

Cryengine is going to be a bullet point in the post-mortem for SC

Yes, UE4.

http://descendentstudios.com/

Here's wingman's hangar today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGtARe9foa0

• Locked thread