Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

Whenever you get mad looking at posts like these, just remember that like dickwulf these people are all abject failures in all aspects of their life. Then it just becomes sad. Like, how can you be mad at someone who spent 20k on a fake game while they are unemployed? They should be pitied.

What if we just think they are funny instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Devian666 posted:

It's worse than that. A large number of them may be hoarders. They may be writing posts about $10m worth of lawyers instead of cleaning the leaking cat goo pooling around their fridge from the dead cats that accidentally thawed out.

Oh absolutely. In my opinion anyone that would actually build a "battlestation" is probably neglecting something in their life or is at the very least an insufferable nerd

Wafflz posted:

What if we just think they are funny instead?

this is fine, preferred actually, cause honestly I can't really pity dickwulf since he is such a fuckin twat

bres0048
Oct 29, 2012

AP posted:

It's tradition. At this point you're meant to say what you're going to buy with the money, relax and enjoy the show.

Was going to put a ome 2.5" lift on my 4runner and add some new bfg ko2s. Im also thinking a new webber grill would be a great idea to cook up some burgs on while I watch the fallout of this.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Furious Mittens posted:

I worked for a manufacturing firm as a project manager several years ago that came up with a new invention (on paper) that promised to bring the company millions if realized. So as we started building this thing, a lot of things came to light that weren't going to work or would need to be revised. Long story short, instead of doing what needed to be done and revising the parts that needed to be changed, the CEO and P.E. ordered everything to keep trucking along as originally planned as they went out across the globe selling this product and throwing features on top of a system that wasn't going to work in the first place.

I jumped ship well before the inevitable crash, thanks mostly in part to the CFO and some friends in accounting talking about how much money we were hemorrhaging. Take that with what I could actually see we were spending on areas of the project that weren't going to work and I could see the hand writing on the wall, along with several others.

All that being said, I don't doubt for a minute that there are people at CIG that know the financials or have access to a good portion of them and talk to the rank and file. People in the gaming and development sector could probably approximate pretty well the costs and the rest of their crazy purchases are documented across the internet. It's not hard to see where $90 mil of crowdfunds could go *poof* really quickly.

Easy to just throw together numbers, from a totally uneducated (in the industry) stand point

Mark Hamill and god knows how many other actors - $10 million

Cost of running all their studios across the globe - $20 million

Snacks for :lesnick: $50 million

Private trips, cars, property etc - $10 million

Mocap bullshit - $10 million

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Furious Mittens posted:

All that being said, I don't doubt for a minute that there are people at CIG that know the financials or have access to a good portion of them and talk to the rank and file. People in the gaming and development sector could probably approximate pretty well the costs and the rest of their crazy purchases are documented across the internet. It's not hard to see where $90 mil of crowdfunds could go *poof* really quickly.

I believe you, part of me would like there to be 8 million left, but there are numerous companies involved and it could just be an internal rumour. The figure has to be lowish I think otherwise Chris Roberts would have mentioned it sometime during his 8 hour rage.

I also kinda enjoy this thread and if that's true, it's going to go boom far more quickly than I expected and I was enjoying the build up so much. Who doesn't love the live stream events and wondering if you were there, just when you'd blow your Airhorn?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Someone mentioned that they likely aren't burning the funds directly but are using it as collateral for a line of credit, how much would that conceivably boost them?

I am not that well versed in corporate accounting, but they'd be able to borrow more than 90 mil if they did that right? That'd make it way harder to predict how much cash they have access to.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I can think of one better use with my Star Citizen money: buying a better game that actually has been released. I'm so sick of this crowdfunding and early access crap, it just screams of laziness and greed on the developer's part. Why yes, I'd love to pay a scumbag developer my hardearned money to beta test their games. /sarcasm

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 2, 2015

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Why didnt they just stick with the old Wingmans Hangar type show? It was fine for the idea of open development, nothing high budget.
They wasted way too much on flashy poo poo like TNGS, and higher level productions.(and Porches and poo poo)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Justin Tyme posted:

Someone mentioned that they likely aren't burning the funds directly but are using it as collateral for a line of credit, how much would that conceivably boost them?

Is there any bank in the world that would be stupid enough to give these people MORE money?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

bres0048 posted:

I had a lot of multiples, mostly hornet or 300 varients. I guess the plan was just to sell stuff to the people that didnt get in on the ground floor. There was a gogle doc with goonfleet on it in one of the old threads. Also I went full neckbeard and tossed abunch of disposable income at it.

At least you are getting refunds, lucky really I kinda thought everyone who put cash in would be hosed.

Justin Tyme posted:

(realtalk) I imagine it was a lot of rampant speculation about how this fake-game will have grand faction battles like EVE, since everyone seemed to think that it was going to basically be FPS EVE. This lead to people buying up every ship they could get their hands on in hopes that goonfleet would happen in SC

so, in essence, people with so little impact or control over their own personal lives felt a little twinge of glory giving crobberts their retirement funds and school loans

They would need a quantum computer to be able to do all of the stuff they want and have a battle on eve scale though?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Starhawk64 posted:

I can think of one better use with my Star Citizen money: buying a better game that actually has been released. I'm so sick of this crowdfunding and early access crap, it just screams of laziness and greed on the developer's part.

Why yes, I'd love to pay a scumbag developer my hardearned money to beta test their games. /sarcasm

Starhawk64 posted:

I can think of one better use with my Star Citizen money: buying a better game that actually has been released. I'm so sick of this crowdfunding and early access crap, it just screams of laziness and greed on the developer's part.

Why yes, I'd love to pay a scumbag developer my hardearned money to beta test their games. /sarcasm

Lol

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Nation posted:

At least you are getting refunds, lucky really I kinda thought everyone who put cash in would be hosed.

They would need a quantum computer to be able to do all of the stuff they want and have a battle on eve scale though?

Yeah, which is why so many people think it's downright impossible even if they did have competent management. Like, the local physics grid stuff, alright that's doable. But you can't get around the networking issues, it's a pipe dream

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

I believe you, part of me would like there to be 8 million left, but there are numerous companies involved and it could just be an internal rumour. The figure has to be lowish I think otherwise Chris Roberts would have mentioned it sometime during his 8 hour rage.

I also kinda enjoy this thread and if that's true, it's going to go boom far more quickly than I expected and I was enjoying the build up so much. Who doesn't love the live stream events and wondering if you were there, just when you'd blow your Airhorn?

Curt Schilling and 38 Studios are still getting press and all kinds of fun internal drama is being dropped still to this day. Mainly because they were playing with taxpayer money and Schilling is a fuckhead with a massive ego.

The Chris Roberts/CIG/Star Shitizen saga will live forever more.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh
:stonk:
At 44:00 she says there are things which were omitted from the article, wherein the wife of Roberts wouldn't hire a girl because she had a hairy.... you know.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Zeike posted:

Why didnt they just stick with the old Wingmans Hangar type show? It was fine for the idea of open development, nothing high budget.
They wasted way too much on flashy poo poo like TNGS, and higher level productions.(and Porches and poo poo)

I have no doubt the answer to that involves imdb, think about the complete pointlessness of "The Last Great Starship". When they saw the speed they put stuff together, no wonder they hired some of them.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Sappo569 posted:

Is there any bank in the world that would be stupid enough to give these people MORE money?

Nat West maybe.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814/filing-history/MzExNjIzNzcyMmFkaXF6a2N4/document?format=pdf&download=0

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Sappo569 posted:

Not with the documented history of Chris Roberts. At least not without having a board in place and some business oversight, which they have exactly none to this point.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

redwalrus posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh
At 44:00 she says there are things which were omitted from the article, wherein the wife of Roberts wouldn't hire a girl because she had a hairy.... you know.

That's a hell of an interview.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

redwalrus posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Not even that, but because she LOOKED like she had a hairy cooter

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Tank Boy Ken, hero, takes one for the team.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

redwalrus posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hairy vaginas are a perfectly acceptable reason to base hiring and firing decisions in an at-will state..........

There will be no hairy vaginas in this 'verse

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

redwalrus posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

going hairless is pretty mid-late aughts imo

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Holy poo poo, woke up to ~700 new posts. What exploded now?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Wulfling posted:

Escapist released a follow-up on the veracity of their sources

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
kitty :3:

kitty :(

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Devian666 posted:

It's worse than that. A large number of them may be hoarders. They may be writing posts about $10m worth of lawyers instead of cleaning the leaking cat goo pooling around their fridge from the dead cats that accidentally thawed out.

Book tip of the day: http://www.amazon.com/Stuff-Compulsive-Hoarding-Meaning-Things/dp/0547422555/

What's this witchcraft they're talking about — balance and gameplay design and how there must be mechanics to support it all? Such foolish heresy!

Wulfling posted:

Same old, same old.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Wulfling posted:

Sandi apparently likes her female (and maybe male?) employees to have shaven genitalia.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Sappo569 posted:

Well theres always the backers, offer them the chance to loan money to star citizen for a 5% rate of return, call them "War bonds" or something and have a marketing campaign, easy $20m there and you dont even need to invent any ships, the forums will be going on how its a really good investment because you know you'll get your money back and its alot higher than the rates a bank gives for deposits.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Furious Mittens posted:

Sandi apparently likes her female (and maybe male?) employees to have shaven genitalia.

is this a part of CIG's standard interview practice or something?!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

redwalrus posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

star shitizens on Liz Finnegan

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Wafflz posted:

star shitizens on Liz Finnegan

Reddit does have a reputation to maintain

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

is this a part of CIG's standard interview practice or something?!
Doesn't explain Lesnick.

Maybe Chris does like hairy twats, and overruled her.

(too far?)

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Furious Mittens posted:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Madcosby posted:

it's just so hard to communicate with people in this thread. everyone tends to act like they were above whatever embarrassment SC brings out all along. You all wanted refunds all along. You all knew no game was coming out all along. You all made money selling ships.

I didn't "invest" in it but then I'm not retarded

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Applebee123 posted:

Well theres always the backers, offer them the chance to loan money to star citizen for a 5% rate of return, call them "War bonds" or something and have a marketing campaign, easy $20m there and you dont even need to invent any ships, the forums will be going on how its a really good investment because you know you'll get your money back and its alot higher than the rates a bank gives for deposits.

Wouldn't that be perfect.

The backers are already banging the war drums and calling for the true believers to invest even more money, lest these hate filled articles topple their dream

Have none of them stopped to think, if all it takes is 1 or 2 news articles to bring the whole thing down, how loving stable was it to begin with?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Furious Mittens posted:

The DickWulf email incident suddenly makes sense.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

tooterfish posted:

Doesn't explain Lesnick.

Maybe Chris does like hairy twats, and overruled her.

(too far?)

ew

ewwwwwwwwwwwww

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Applebee123 posted:

Hoooly gently caress there is probably a lot of liability in this and they would never do it for those reasons but that would be icing on the cake and not above CIG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Justin Tyme posted:

Whenever you get mad looking at posts like these, just remember that like dickwulf these people are all abject failures in all aspects of their life. Then it just becomes sad. Like, how can you be mad at someone who spent 20k on a fake game while they are unemployed? They should be pitied.

actually dickwulf is a successful television producer, please watch tonight's premiere of chicago fire

• Locked thread