Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Tae posted:

There's two seasons of Fafner 2 and no one mentions it. That's amazing. I have no idea what it was or that it had a 2nd season until I checked up a summary site.

Exodus had been in the makings a WHILE, I think they originally had like a 2012 release in mind. So the first season came a little out of the blue, and all the announcement they did for the second season was the enormous sequel hook at the very end of the first.

At first I was a little disappointed with Exodus after how much I'd been looking forward to it, but it was basically a cascade of amazing events by the end.

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
But I have like no idea what the show's about, because my usual review sites aren't covering it. Anyone give a summary?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Tae posted:

But I have like no idea what the show's about, because my usual review sites aren't covering it. Anyone give a summary?

More or less the same general plot as the first show and the movie. There's still millions of jello aliens screwing up the earth and there's a fresh batch of young children to be sent on the front lines to punch them. The big thing for Exodus is the cast is split, one half goes off on a field trip to India to aid the titular exodus going on there, while the other half stays behind and gets superpowers for their robots that also transfer over to their personal lives which starts screwing things up.

It ends with the most :getin: thing ever in that one character becomes able to look into certain points in the future, and sees a very near one where the safe and happy island they live on is ruined and all her friends are dead.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

Kanos posted:

It depends on what you mean by obvious. If you spend a lot of time in these threads, you've probably at least heard of most of the obvious recommendations. It also depends on what your tolerance for really long shows are.

-For the 90s:
  • Gaogaigar: Starts off pretty generic, once you get into it it gets super good
  • Dai Guard: One of my favorite mecha shows period.
  • Macross 7: Long but fun as hell.
  • Nadesico but holy poo poo not the movie
  • The Eldoran shows if you don't mind children's yuusha robo shows.

-For the 2000s:
  • Gravion and Gravion Zwei: Gravion is highly generic but OK, Zwei is really fun and good
  • Rahxephon: Sort of an alternate take on Eva, but takes its own path in a lot of ways and I really like it.
  • Code Geass
  • Aquarion
  • Godannar: MASSIVE amounts of fanservice to the point of self-parody, but if you can stomach that it's an amazing modern take on a 70s-style super robot show
  • Shin Mazinger
  • Overman King Gainer: Not my favorite Tomino production, but it's well-loved
  • Eureka Seven
  • Gun x Sword: One of my favorite shows period
  • Full Metal Panic

There's a lot more than this, of course, but these are some off the cuff recommendations.

Most of these are ones I know of and have seen, or know about and just forget about constantly (Gravion, Godannar, Gun x Sword). Same with Fafner and Rinne no Lagrange (which I keep reading as Kurogane no Linebarrels). I feel like that basically confirms my feeling that I haven't been missing much. I guess none of the shows that have been out in the last recent years have much merit to them? I keep trying to think of more recent shows and I'll think "Star Driver" and "Heroman" realize that was 5 years ago.

Also, since I brought up Linebarrels, is the manga of that of any note? I don't know a whole lot about mecha manga beside Five Star Stories and Getter Robo, but don't know if there is much of it out there beside Gundam sidestories and Shin Mazinger Zero, which is certainly something.

Raxivace posted:

RahXephon really frustrates me because it has all of the pieces of a pretty amazing show and they don't come together well at all, at least to me.
This is basically exactly like how I felt. I watched it, Evangelion, and Brain Powered at the same time and I felt like there were times where I thought RahXephon was going to sweep the other two away and just came out of it being mad as hell. I feel less strongly negative about it now, but still find it frustrating.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Not Dave posted:

Most of these are ones I know of and have seen, or know about and just forget about constantly (Gravion, Godannar, Gun x Sword). Same with Fafner and Rinne no Lagrange (which I keep reading as Kurogane no Linebarrels). I feel like that basically confirms my feeling that I haven't been missing much. I guess none of the shows that have been out in the last recent years have much merit to them? I keep trying to think of more recent shows and I'll think "Star Driver" and "Heroman" realize that was 5 years ago.

Also, since I brought up Linebarrels, is the manga of that of any note? I don't know a whole lot about mecha manga beside Five Star Stories and Getter Robo, but don't know if there is much of it out there beside Gundam sidestories and Shin Mazinger Zero, which is certainly something.

This is basically exactly like how I felt. I watched it, Evangelion, and Brain Powered at the same time and I felt like there were times where I thought RahXephon was going to sweep the other two away and just came out of it being mad as hell. I feel less strongly negative about it now, but still find it frustrating.

There isn't a lot of mecha manga, but it's worth noting that the Mazinger trilogy were originally manga, although translation has stalled on Great. The Knights of Sidonia manga also recently finished, but I haven't read it myself so I can't guarantee its quality.

Also, it's in the OP but Giant Robo is an amazing 90s mecha OVA that all robot enthusiasts should watch.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Far as stuff from the last few years go, I enjoyed Majestic Prince, Liked Gundam Build Fighters, and loved Reconguista in G.

Captain Earth and Nobunaga the Fool were alright, they had plenty of issues but I managed to see both through to the end.

Aquarion Logos is currently airing and it starts out rough but it gradually improved and now I'm genuinely looking forward to new episodes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Not Dave posted:

Mecha anime isn't exactly a crazy prolific genre, so if you watch mecha stuff at least somewhat regularly you'll generally have seen, heard of, or experienced the relevant series.

Srice posted:

Far as stuff from the last few years go, I enjoyed Majestic Prince, Liked Gundam Build Fighters, and loved Reconguista in G.

Captain Earth and Nobunaga the Fool were alright, they had plenty of issues but I managed to see both through to the end.

Aquarion Logos is currently airing and it starts out rough but it gradually improved and now I'm genuinely looking forward to new episodes.

Captain Earth and Nobunaga the Fool both started off with really promising concepts and some cool mechanical designs but fell utterly flat in every regard when it came to actual story progression. Nobunaga the Fool also has some hilariously shoddy animation budgeting that leads to stuff like a huge final battle between two major characters early on having its own specific vocal image song insert but the fight itself is a series of looped animations of their mechs running next to each other while sword clashing sounds play.

I keep meaning to watch Logos because I have a huge soft spot for Aquarion and EVOL(EVOL in particular).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Speaking of sequels no one talks about, apparently Code Geass is getting yet another spin-off show?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nobunaga the Fool's ending is really bizarre and strange too, and not in a particularly good or compelling way.

I think it would be neat to see in SRW though.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I dunno about recent years, but watch Giant Robo. Everyone should watch Giant Robo. It's the best thing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I heard Buddy Complex was pretty standard mecha show, but an enjoyable standard.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Motto posted:

I heard Buddy Complex was pretty standard mecha show, but an enjoyable standard.

It was pretty aggressively vanilla, and I didn't like the mechanical designs - the good guys and bad guys weren't visually distinct enough from each other, meaning fights were often hard to follow. Also, I heard the way it wrapped up was kind of rushed.

It's OK if you're desperate for more giant robots, I guess, but it's kinda soulless and mass-produced.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Motto posted:

Pretty much. It doesn't aim particularly high at all but it at least hits the target. The entire second cour had to be stuffed into the last two episodes though, which sucks.

There many better and more interesting to watch before you consider Buddy Complex.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
yeah buddy complex's biggest problem is that it doesn't do much outstanding

...well that and the time loop, the reveal that it was going on and why was completely baffling in large part because time loops make zero sense. also a scientist dude literally invented time travel to rectify a slight performance issue in his robot

the sequel OVA made from the scraps of its planned second season was really good though, I didn't think it felt rushed so much as it was...filler-less. You already know all the characters and the setting so exposition is pointless, so instead of waffling about for twelve episodes they just shove the climax out. "Here is the final boss, he is very mad because his girlfriend got stole and he was sent back in time and had to wait until he was hella old and infirm because the guy he wanted revenge on was in the future" is the entire plot, now let us have robots fight

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 3, 2015

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Isn't buddy complex the one that was literally written by committee?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Droyer posted:

Yah they had "Buddy Complex Project" listed as the writer.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Droyer posted:

I heard rumors that it was, and I wouldn't find it too surprising if it were true.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The highlight of Buddy Complex is that Studio Orange handled the CG.

I wish Sunrise used them for a show that had any ambition whatsoever.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

Yah they had "Buddy Complex Project" listed as the writer.

This will never not be funny to me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Droyer posted:

Yeah, but that's true of any Sunrise animation that has Hajime Yatate in the writing credits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajime_Yatate?wprov=sfti1

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, but that's true of any Sunrise animation that has Hajime Yatate in the writing credits.

That's usually listed as the creator of the show in question.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I liked the badass adoptive dad of the heroine.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

That's usually listed as the creator of the show in question.

Yeah i knew the Hajime Yatate thing but i've never seen writing credited to it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Srice posted:

Oh yeah, Reconguista in G was really really good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Not Dave posted:

I haven't watched the Linebarrel anime so I can't compare, but the manga is really good. As far as I know the anime basically strayed entirely from what the manga did, and honestly it sounds less interesting. The manga is great though, and well worth the read. That said, the translation is...slow.

About Aquarion Logos, since that was said by other people, I'm still amazed of how much I'm enjoying it. I expected to really dislike it because it was going its own way after two series that followed the same timeline (and an OVA that united them despite doing nothing with that concept, still pretty good though). The heavy focus on Akira and ignoring the other characters didn't help much either, and the change in small details (a non-Akino OP, two-Vector Aquarion) only made me wonder why they even bothered calling it Aquarion (despite Kou being similar to Solar/Evol and the Mugenken). But I kept watching because Akira was fun and the series seemed to have some potential and it definitely lived up to it, it's gotten really good. Well worth the watch, with the really cool way they're using Aquarion (using non-humanoid forms will always get me happy) and how the other characters actually got to exist and interact with the plot. And the latest episode was amazing with using every form one after the other, really really cool.

Please keep being good, Logos. And be ridiculously broken in SRW, like your predecessors.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finally got around to finishing The Big O for the first time. Man, this show is seriously cool and good. I absolutely loved the film noir style, which even went as far back to referencing noir's ancestors with films like Metropolis.

That ending was sure something. I take it that Roger's past really is unknowable? And Paradigm City was ultimately stuck in some kind of loop controlled by Big Venus?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
here comes a big block of spoilery text

The Roger Smith we know is actually a clone, if not biologically, in identity, of the original Roger Smith. The original Roger Smith was a pilot for one of the many, many, Bigs in the war that seemingly ended the world, and also helped created Paradigm City with Gordon Rosewater. Our Roger is intended to take the role of Roger Smith, who Gordon sees as an integral facet of Paradigm.

Paradigm City itself is an artificial, though physical environment, in which reality is altered at the whim of Big Venus. Angel is the version of Big Venus that is able to be an actor within the environment of Paradigm and evaluate not only the city, but seemingly Roger as well. Should the people of Paradigm fail to measure up to Venus' standards or if there's some kind of catastrophic damage, Venus resets it or alters it, as implied by the ending of season 2.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I finally got around to finishing The Big O for the first time. Man, this show is seriously cool and good. I absolutely loved the film noir style, which even went as far back to referencing noir's ancestors with films like Metropolis.

That ending was sure something. I take it that Roger's past really is unknowable? And Paradigm City was ultimately stuck in some kind of loop controlled by Big Venus?

There's no right answer as far as I know. I had fun thinking up my own theory, I suggest you do the same!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Big O is basically The Truman Show only no-one escapes at the end.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

here comes a big block of spoilery text

The Roger Smith we know is actually a clone, if not biologically, in identity, of the original Roger Smith. The original Roger Smith was a pilot for one of the many, many, Bigs in the war that seemingly ended the world, and also helped created Paradigm City with Gordon Rosewater. Our Roger is intended to take the role of Roger Smith, who Gordon sees as an integral facet of Paradigm.

Paradigm City itself is an artificial, though physical environment, in which reality is altered at the whim of Big Venus. Angel is the version of Big Venus that is able to be an actor within the environment of Paradigm and evaluate not only the city, but seemingly Roger as well. Should the people of Paradigm fail to measure up to Venus' standards or if there's some kind of catastrophic damage, Venus resets it or alters it, as implied by the ending of season 2.

You have a source on this, or is it your personal theory?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That is my personal theory. There are many many valid interpretations but that is the one I like most. I think it just ended up being so naturally "oh that's it" to me that I felt really satisfied with myself and smug

e: Alternatively, the answer is it's meant to be set to a Queen album

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

That is my personal theory. There are many many valid interpretations but that is the one I like most. I think it just ended up being so naturally "oh that's it" to me that I felt really satisfied with myself and smug

e: Alternatively, the answer is it's meant to be set to a Queen album

Sorry i wasn't trying to criticize you. I just wondered if there had ever been any official word on the ending.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
No problem, I think it's fair to clarify on something like that. By my tone I made it seem like that was the Official or One True interpretation.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Droyer posted:

Sorry i wasn't trying to criticize you. I just wondered if there had ever been any official word on the ending.

only official thing Ive ever heard on the ending is that never had any intention of explaining anything and only did so at the request of cartoon network

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wasn't Big O originally going to end at the end of Season 1? And then Cartoon Networks, as I recall, asked for two more seasons, then at some point late in produciton this was changed to only one more season.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

CN partially funded the second season, i dunno about anything beyond that.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Beck never did get to show us the mysteries of the orient.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I'm partway through Big O 2, and the second season really does have a very different tone and direction.

Like the first season's little bubble-world is meant to be unquestioned, like it's just a stage for the story to play out on. In a play you don't question why the stage exists.

Season 2 begins with Roger not only offstage, but on a different one where he's a homeless crazy person. It goes on from there and adds so much more to the texture of the first season that I might have to watch the whole thing again when I'm done. It's rad. So rad.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

I'm partway through Big O 2, and the second season really does have a very different tone and direction.

Like the first season's little bubble-world is meant to be unquestioned, like it's just a stage for the story to play out on. In a play you don't question why the stage exists.

Season 2 begins with Roger not only offstage, but on a different one where he's a homeless crazy person. It goes on from there and adds so much more to the texture of the first season that I might have to watch the whole thing again when I'm done. It's rad. So rad.

Big O is very good.

Also Hbomberguy, i feel like i have to apologize to you. Something about your earlier posting rubbed me the wrong way and i may not have been entirely fair. I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly, episode 14 might be my favorite in The Big O. The metafictional aspects of the second season in general were really pretty interesting though, and they remind me a lot of Evangelion even if that show used similar ideas for entirely different reasons.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 7, 2015