Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

What the gently caress is this moonball anyway? - Watch this

Today is the last match of the year, a Grand Final if you will. Worth watching even if you don't give a flying gently caress. Drink whenever something you don't really understand happens while you watch men destroy each other on the field oval.

GAME TIMES:

WHERE TO WATCH
You can purchase an online pass to watch the game for $20AU ($14.10US) from WatchAFL.

http://vaughnlive.tv/afldude

Here are the local broadcasters and timings.

THE TEAMS
Hawthorn Hawks -
Hawthorn is here to defy every precept of the national competition by winning a third successive flag and in doing so enter the conversation of 'greatest team ever'. The Hawks have taken the long road to their fourth consecutive Grand Final after losing to the Eagles in Perth in week one of the finals.

Their ball use is the best in the competition, and as they showed last week against the Dockers, any mistake gets punished. They love to dominate possession, and when they do, are very hard to beat. After three straight Grand Finals there's no risk of stage fright, so expect the Hawks to bring their absolute best, which is usually good enough.

West Coast Eagles -
Less than three weeks ago, Adam Simpson's men showed the type of suffocating pressure that can upset the Hawks. The much-vaunted defensive 'web' limits the opposition's time and space and can create turnovers en masse.  The Eagles are one step away from completing a fairytale season and winning the club's fourth flag in coach Adam Simpson's second season at the helm. They last won in 2006 and, despite beating the Hawks just three weeks ago, will start underdogs this time.

Their fans have had to travel from the other side of the country to attend, with flights to Melbourne costing more than to London, or driving across some of the most desolate land there is. Pity them if the lose, pity us if they win.

Here's a preview of the pre-game entertainment, throwing back to when these teams last met in a Grand Final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Go the Eagles

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

why isn't this in GBS

I mean, I know why, but you know.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Lets take over #sports on irc.synirc.net too if you are going to be online today.

edit:
You can also tune in internationally by watching:
USA - Fox Soccer and Fox Sports 2 @ 12:30 CET (Live)
Canada - TSN 2 @ 23:00 ET (Live)
UK - BT Sport and ESPN @ 05:24 BST (Live)
Europe - Eurosport 2 @ 06:30 CET (Live)
Asia/Pacific - Australia Plus Network @ 12:24 HK (Live) & 16:24 Fiji (Live)

drunkill fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 3, 2015

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Carn Eagles

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Voted 5.

If Hawthorn win that'll become a 1 so fast.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Go Hawks, it'll be your last flag for a good while.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
gently caress the hawks!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Go eagles

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
While Bryan Adams is here maybe he can write the Eagles a decent club song. I mean, it'll still be very '80s but at least it mightn't answer a rhetorical question with a nonsensical answer.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I just checked and apparently Eagles are a much larger bird than Hawks so by this rationale, Eagles to kill and eat the Hawks.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gently caress Hawthorn.

Gonna be watching live in Tokyo with the footy club I play for at our sponsor expat pub in the middle of Roppongi. Bunch of our players are Weagles fans, plus most of the others are fans of Melbourne clubs so nobody wants the Hawks to win.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Trying to remember the last one with two teams I don't particularly like and it must've been Essendon vs Carlton in 1993 which I missed because I was on a train.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
GO WEZT COAZT KICK MORE MAIN EGGS THAN THE HAWKZ

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
If the Hawks win it's only fair if they end up like the Lions and are poo poo for ages.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

bigis posted:

If the Hawks win it's only fair if they end up like the Lions and are poo poo for ages.
Depends if Eddie cracks a whinge again.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

CARN THE MIGHTY EAGLES.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
Just leaving the G now after having a few pre midday beers with some mates.

Can't stress enough what a great atmosphere it is being St the ground before the game. Had a kick, drank some beer, put some sweeps together (half the cash is going to charity - I've got some good mates). Some dudes had spitroasts going.
Could have done without the elbow some random 18 year old layed into the back of my head during kick to kick though.

Tipping the Hawks by 19.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

TG-Chrono posted:

What the gently caress is this moonball anyway? - Watch this

can we appreciate that as the voiceover is saying "like basketball!" the video shows Daw against NicNat in the ruck

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

snaeksikn posted:

gently caress the hawks!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I went out last night with some Goons and drank beer and whisky from 1pm to 10pm.

I feel like I've been put in a concrete mixer. Meant to head out to Fitzroy now and have a GF party, but I just feel like dying.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

the results for the longest kick were a bit disappointing, was expecting a bigger showing from most of the guys there

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

TG-Chrono posted:

I went out last night with some Goons and drank beer and whisky from 1pm to 10pm.

I feel like I've been put in a concrete mixer. Meant to head out to Fitzroy now and have a GF party, but I just feel like dying.

have a long hot shower then eat something greasy, then get back into it

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

~2hrs until my blood pressure rises to dangerous levels. Carn Eagles.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Reminder that 2 cab drivers will be competing in the Grand Final sprint.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Made a very brief thingy with some gifs and basic information to spread awareness vOv

http://imgur.com/gallery/jAyJp

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Go the Eagles!

gently caress the Hawks!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

the results for the longest kick were a bit disappointing, was expecting a bigger showing from most of the guys there

Reckon the wind had a factor there? Might play havoc in front of goal today.

But yeah, Fletch coming last when he was a favourite to win it. Guessing that wasn't wind and that was just a broken 40 year old man.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
ohboyohboyohboyohboy woweeeeeee! Today's the day.
I don't really care for either team, but it's still such an exciting day to get together with mates, crank the barbie and settle in with a few frothies. I'll be going for West Coast, because although Hawthorn are good, they don't deserve a threepeat. But this could be the beginning of a West Coast threepeat as well, which will disappoint me too.
The main reason I'm going for West Coast is because the host of the party is a die-hard hawks supporter, and seeing him cry will be fun. :)

But I'm predicting Hawks by 40

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

TG-Chrono posted:

Reminder that 2 cab drivers will be competing in the Grand Final sprint.

lol its just so stupid

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

lol darcy lang you spud you got flogged by a taxi driver

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Deadly Hume posted:

While Bryan Adams is here maybe he can write the Eagles a decent club song. I mean, it'll still be very '80s but at least it mightn't answer a rhetorical question with a nonsensical answer.

Bryan can write it and Isaak can sing it, this will force Sydney to commission Beyonce and it'll all go downhill until Kanye West comes up with the new Saints theme, and game over.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Dennis Armfield should have been in that spring thing instead of Everitt.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

snaeksikn posted:

lol darcy lang you spud you got flogged by a taxi driver

Montagna died about 3m in to it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Who won?

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
No idea who Paddy Brophy from West Coast is but he did okay

gently caress off Mick Molloy with your lame cab driver jokes

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

The sprint is on now? I thought it was half time?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

thepokey posted:

Everything is pre-game, pretty sure only Auskick is at half time.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

thepokey posted:

it was the heats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Man Singh was absolutely hoofing it. I think he came second? Pretty good when you have a sedentary job/ are not an AFL footballer.

I dunno who to go for. One one hand, gently caress the Hawks, but on the other hand I live with Eagles supporters, and they are loving insufferable at the best of times. I'll see how I feel at bouncedown.

• Locked thread