Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Stretch Goal: Hire Nick Smith and make 'Platform Masters' a game you can play while your spaceship is traveling between stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The problem with this comic is that your average star citizen fat, disgusting neckbeard nerd is too stupid to get it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Battletech kickstarter really puts things in perspective when the initial goal for all Star Citizen was $500k whereas HBS's pitch is 'for 250k we can make a barebones random skirmish game, for $1m we'll can actually throw together a single player campaign'.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Tokamak posted:

They got the high poly model of the claymore and are asking the artist to completely change the design. Instead of the flat plastic cover, the boss copy/pasted the grenade design on the claymore and said 'make it look like this', and blamed 'distributed development' for the mistake.

tl;dr: they are confirming the rumour that they are making artists redo work which already had concept approval.

That is loving hilarious.

Seriously that's such a confirmation, nothing like that should happen in game development at that stage. Changing the (finished?) high poly model with drastic changes, and ones that would be simple to add if done from the start, is such a bad sign of development. It shows they don't stick to the approved concept, they don't care about artists/company time being wasted on needless revisions, and a basic lack of understanding how art is created for a game.

It's also just a plain stupid creative decision; why would there be a little tiny window cut out on a claymore mine? So you can see the explosives and metal balls inside? Why would that even be a thing? :psyduck:

If this is straight from Croberts than loving :lol:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

KiddieGrinder posted:

I think the idea is that it's not just a tiny window, but covering the whole front. The...whoever was just too lazy to stretch it, or copy paste it.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Then that's even dumber. :colbert:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Michaellaneous posted:

I think the idea is that it's not just a tiny window, but covering the whole front. The...whoever was just too lazy to stretch it, or copy paste it.

its a thing, that explodes.

Its just not fancy enough.

Wait till you hear the 5.1 soundtrack when you activate that bitch.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

KiddieGrinder posted:

Then that's even dumber. :colbert:

Because practically it would be smart to not put something like metal between the source of an EMP and what you want to disable. The whole concept of an "aimed" EMP is rather silly, so you would need a material that can stop the waves to pass through. Thus the whole front would really need to be plastic or something else.

Although I think I put more thought into this than the actual manager making this decision.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
that whole process can be summed up as: *fart*

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

SneakyFrog posted:

its a thing, that explodes.

Its just not fancy enough.

Wait till you hear the 5.1 soundtrack when you activate that bitch.

It's not even supposed to explode. If you want to cause an EMP by an explosion you would need a nuke.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

KiddieGrinder posted:

It's also just a plain stupid creative decision; why would there be a little tiny window cut out on a claymore mine? So you can see the explosives and metal balls inside? Why would that even be a thing? :psyduck:

It is an IED an irony explosive device. If an enemy detects the mine they might want to peer inside the window, inside they would find a tiny sheet saying "This mine is about to make make you its bitch" just before exploding causing between 20 and 100 points of damage depending on how much real life money you spent on it.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Really the best possible option here is for them to include a chaff grenade that makes that cool MGS sound.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Michaellaneous posted:

Really the best possible option here is for them to include eat a chaff grenade that makes that cool MGS sound.

ftfy

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Agrajag posted:

that whole process can be summed up as: *fart*

Yep. A long, drawn out, wet fart of a man that lives on a diet of cabbage.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
really, though, it doesn't matter if the design is impractical or whatever, it's a dumb scifi game things can look however you want

the real issue is that they paid an artist to do an entire high-poly model for them and then scrapped it for no reason

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

AP posted:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/critical-miss/14724-The-Kickstarter-Burger

If anyone from the escapist is reading, if you could run a comparison between the failure to deliver Star Citizen via kickstarter, to the successful delivery of the Doobie's Dog House kick starter in your next piece, I'll love you forever.

Thanks.

no this is not star citizen star citizen was supposed to be like this

but with the influx of sperg cash + CRs infinite vision it became like this

but is currently like this

EminusSleepus fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 3, 2015

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

KiddieGrinder posted:

Seriously that's such a confirmation, nothing like that should happen in game development at that stage. Changing the (finished?) high poly model with drastic changes, and ones that would be simple to add if done from the start, is such a bad sign of development. It shows they don't stick to the approved concept, they don't care about artists/company time being wasted on needless revisions, and a basic lack of understanding how art is created for a game.

Makes perfect sense if you consider they are selling jpgs instead of making a game

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

really, though, it doesn't matter if the design is impractical or whatever, it's a dumb scifi game things can look however you want

the real issue is that they paid an artist to do an entire high-poly model for them and then scrapped it for no reason

It's not even that. The original design was good enough and probably did not require a too large amount of polygons. Now if you want to make it like that, they probably expect the designer to not only put a picture of that see-through thing on it. They want him to actually model the inside of the mine.
For no reason other than "SC will be the best game ever!"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

who is even gonna look inside the claymore? if you see the front of a claymore in an fps it's probably exploding and killing you

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Is the game court order out already?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

who is even gonna look inside the claymore? if you see the front of a claymore in an fps it's probably exploding and killing you

that was pretty much my point.

so much work for something so utterly inconsequential.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

wtf?

RSIGate?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

That's my whole point as well.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

what does this mean?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Agrajag posted:

what does this mean?

https://archive.org/about/exclude.php

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/robots.txt

lol

edit: it does specifically say /media/, I wonder why.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Agrajag posted:

what does this mean?
So no one can use archive.org to find out where they've changed their story.

Looks like they're going full North Korea over there to make sure no one can disturb their prize whales before milking time is done.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Agrajag posted:

what does this mean?

archive.org automatically archives old versions of websites. putting robots.txt in your website is the standard sign that you don't want your site's contents analyzed or copied, which is a good thing for privacy but also means he can do poo poo like change the release date and get away with it unless someone personally saved proof that it was different before.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

tooterfish posted:

So no one can use archive.org to find out where they've changed their story.

Looks like they're going full North Korea over there to make sure no one can disturb their prize whales before milking time is done.

yep archive.org does not or cannot archive that site anymore.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
All is well, nothing to see here! Buy more jpegs!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

EminusSleepus posted:

no this is not star citizen star citizen was supposed to be like this

but with the influx of sperg cash + CRs infinite vision it became like this

The vision became that, perhaps, but in practice, most trays are still missing and the one or two that are there so far only contain some half-cooked unpeeled tomatoes that are supposed to be the base sauce for an undefined meat dish, and the celery that is supposed to go in the next tray over has been sent back to the geneticist to make it look more like a juniper bush.

Meanwhile, the customers have managed to convince themselves that warmed-over meatloaf that has been sitting out in the open for an hour is vastly superior to a well-made burg.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

KiddieGrinder posted:

All is well, nothing to see here! Buy more jpegs!

Not entirely sure how true this all is since the last snapshot RSi is from today.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That's pretty damning actually

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Alchenar posted:

The Battletech kickstarter really puts things in perspective when the initial goal for all Star Citizen was $500k whereas HBS's pitch is 'for 250k we can make a barebones random skirmish game, for $1m we'll can actually throw together a single player campaign'.

Shocking what "Having actual recent experience with 4 successful kickstarter releases" does for a studio.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Next stop: the Nigerian prince scam, reformatted into Star Citizen language.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Impracticality isn't the problem thought. The problem is that Star Citizen's art design is utterly incoherent. It's an insane mixture of Alien Isolation style retro (tube monitors), contemporary tech (claymores and Assault rifles) and actual future gizmos. The ships range from "WW2 plane in space" to "Actual star ship".

This is really ruining my immersion.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

kikkelivelho posted:

I wouldn't worry too much, it's not like you'll ever have to play it.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

kikkelivelho posted:

Impracticality isn't the problem thought. The problem is that Star Citizen's art design is utterly incoherent. It's an insane mixture of Alien Isolation style retro (tube monitors), contemporary tech (claymores and Assault rifles) and actual future gizmos. The ships range from "WW2 plane in space" to "Actual star ship".

At this point W40K is more consistent with their art- and technology-style.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Tippis posted:

The vision became that, perhaps, but in practice, most trays are still missing and the one or two that are there so far only contain some half-cooked unpeeled tomatoes that are supposed to be the base sauce for an undefined meat dish, and the celery that is supposed to go in the next tray over has been sent back to the geneticist to make it look more like a juniper bush.

Meanwhile, the customers have managed to convince themselves that warmed-over meatloaf that has been sitting out in the open for an hour is vastly superior to a well-made burg.

thanks I have edited my original post :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chalks posted:

A giant hamburger that they discover is too big to cook but man does the concept art look tasty.

They remake the "world's biggest meat patty" multiple times because they keep changing the mince.

• Locked thread