Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Benito Cereno posted:

I realize this is probably a typo due to similar names and your illness, but just in case: the movie you described here is Preservation, not Resolution. If you haven't seen the real movie Resolution, you should. It's great.

poo poo - you're right. I've had a bad flu for the past week so I'm not sleeping or thinking properly. I'll go edit that. I have seen Resolution, and it is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm gonna go ahead and bump The Babadook up to a 4.5 on the grounds that I spent a good while last night laying in the darkness half seeing that hosed in my mind. And when the storm mad a large noise I just about leaped out of my skin. So good job, Babadook. You achieved the primary goal of any good horror movie and scared the poo poo out of me.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I'm glad I rewatched this last night. I remembered really disliking it when I first seen it, but it really is a solid movie.

The Prowler
A rather run of the mill, predictable 80's slasher with some terrific gore effects. :spooky::spooky:/5

Demons (1985)
Now this is what I'm talking about. Dario Argento and Lamberto Bava bring us this crazy ride that borrows a little from quite a few movies. It's a 80s punk-horror with that giallo flair. Siiiccckk gore effects, cool soundtrack and a :krad: Iron maiden soundtrack montage where our hero wields a samurai sword and rides a dirt bike through the theatre. This movie fuckng rocks. :spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 3, 2015

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Day 2 - The first Child's Play movie was pretty fun since everyone likes creepy dolls, but the premise went downhill fast with the sequels. Then they restarted the franchise in the self-aware horror period and those films were pretty good by being playfully campy. And then a few years ago they tried to do it again with Curse of Chucky and that was not very good.

The single biggest problem for me in Curse of Chucky is that it's schizophrenic. For the first two thirds of the movie it's a complete ground up reboot that plays out like it's the first film all over again. Then in the last fifteen or twenty minutes it swerves and becomes a hyper-continuity driven continuation of the film series that would be completely impenetrable for anyone not familiar with the earlier movies. I was already bored when they were playing coy with Chucky's real nature for the first half-hour; it's the sixth film so I think most people going in at least know that he's a living killer doll but they dance around that forever.

But let's say our hypothetical movie goer doesn't know about the earlier movies. After the climax of the film (which is really abrupt) there's a long sequence where a character from previous movies shows up out of the blue with no explanation to who they are. Then Chucky's motives suddenly revert to what they were in the original films, again with no explanation for anyone who doesn't already understand this. That viewer would be completely lost and bewildered by the ending.

I can see why Curse of Chucky didn't spark another revival of the series, though apparently there's another attempt to restart things in production. It took forever to get going.

Next up I'm watching The Cremator which I am assured is a Czech horror/comedy from the 60's.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I saw a double feature of Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks Fire Walk with Me on the big screen. IMDB says Fire Walk With Me is a horror movie, but I'm not entirely sure if it should count (I know Blue Velvet is more of a crime film). What do you guys think? Can I get away with the Twin Peaks movie or should I just watch two movies today?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not going to include it on my list since I didn't fully watch it but I caught the second half of The Frighteners (1996) on TV this morning. I love this film. Imminently rewatchable. Michael J. Fox, Jeffrey Combs, Peter Jackson, Robert Zemeckis. If you're never seen it, check it out. Michael J. Fox plays a guy who sees ghosts after a near death experience and uses it for short term cons until he encounters some kind of "grim reaper" ghost killing people and starts to get selfless while unraveling a wacky story full of crazy characters. It somehow walks that line between being lighthearted and funny enough not to be too dark but also being dark and horrific enough to not be silly or campy.

Its Saturday and rainy so I'm planning a full day of house chores, cleaning up, pulling out the Halloween decorations, and rewatchable horror on the TV. I think Beetlejuice is up next after the similar Zemeckis Frighteners taste.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dr. Hurt posted:

I saw a double feature of Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks Fire Walk with Me on the big screen. IMDB says Fire Walk With Me is a horror movie, but I'm not entirely sure if it should count (I know Blue Velvet is more of a crime film). What do you guys think? Can I get away with the Twin Peaks movie or should I just watch two movies today?

There's a lot of films that hang out on the margins of the horror genre. I'm planning on watching What We Do in the Shadows sometime this month, for example. The trailers and what I've heard place it very firmly in comedy that happens to use horror tropes and that's good enough for me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i don't normally participate in this, but the Wes Craven binge i've been on and the overall Halloween spirit have motivated me to participate this year.

10/1/15: Shocker (Wes Craven, rewatch)

I remember hating this movie, having seen it (i think) twice before. And maybe it's my mourning for Wes Craven turning me around on it, but I had a blast this time. The paranormal elements don't make a lick of goddamn sense, but they're wildly inventive in the mode of one of the Nightmare on Elm Street sequels, except much better executed than most of them. Lots of great sets and genuinely impressive special effects (and yes, some very corny ones too). Peter Berg (yes, that Peter Berg, and I still think that's funny) is a wet noodle (although i like the gender flip from the usual Final Girl), but Mitch Pileggi is an awesome villain and the thing moves so quickly that you almost don't notice it's an inexcusable 110 minutes. The big multiple-TV-show-spanning climax, which I used to think was the dumbest thing ever, is actually pretty awesome, using a cavalcade of cinematic trickery that'd make Robert Zemeckis blush. Really dope '80s metal soundtrack, too. B+

Upcoming review for 10/2/15: Nightbreed: The Director's Cut (rewatch)

Next up for 10/3/15: Seven (rewatch)

i need to throw some first-watches in here too. only two i've got lined up are Joshua (weird "evil child" thriller starring Sam Rockwell that crossed my path at the library) and the Last House on the Left remake which i'll be watching alongside the original. Feel free to toss some lesser-known (preferably streaming-accessible) titles at me.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Day 2 - The first Child's Play movie was pretty fun since everyone likes creepy dolls, but the premise went downhill fast with the sequels. Then they restarted the franchise in the self-aware horror period and those films were pretty good by being playfully campy. And then a few years ago they tried to do it again with Curse of Chucky and that was not very good.
Man, I really need to watch Child's Play 2 because I want to argue that it's probably the most enjoyable of the whole series. But I'm not sure if that's actually true. I just remember the main characters being likable, and the last set piece being a lot of fun.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I think many Lynch films can be considered horror, including FWWM. Blue Velvet is noir, though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I think many Lynch films can be considered horror, including FWWM. Blue Velvet is noir, though.

you can definitely make a case for Blue Velvet as horror. the scene of Kyle Machlachlan hiding in the closet popped up on both Bravo and AFI's lists of scariest movie moments, as i recall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oGV3I8-Dd4

that Bravo special was real fun

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Franchescanado posted:

Lynch laughs at the concept of genre.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
12. Swamp Thing (1982)

This movie is hilarious. Swamp Thing is very clearly a man in a rubber suit. I mean... VERY CLEARLY. Like, they don't even try to hide it. At all. Also, there's a really great scene where Adrianne Barbeau is escaping some military guys and, while running around in the middle of the swamp, she finds a telephone booth. When the telephone booth doesn't work, she looks to her left and suddenly there is a gas station. Also, Wilhelm Scream! Brilliant!

There was an odd little out-of-place scene where Adrianne Barbeau's breasts made a cameo appearance while Swamp Thing looked on. Then he got mad and threw a book. Adrianne Barbeau's breasts make Swamp Thing mad, I guess.

I've never read the comic book, but can Swamp Thing actually heal people with his glowing touch similarly to E.T.? Because that is awesome, but it makes me really wonder why Swamp Thing had to run around with his arm inside his rubber suit after it was chopped off. Couldn't he, like, rejuvenate himself?

The animated transitions, while trying to emulate the comic books, are used in horribly inappropriate ways. At one point they use one of these transitions to cut from one shot to another within the same scene.

Partially due to David Hess's involvement, partially due to the setting of the film, this sometimes feels like a remake of Last House on the Left (sans rape).

This movie was clearly shot by a group of friends over the course of one weekend, using their parents' boats and cars as props.

I thought I was going to hate this after watching other early works by Wes Craven, but god drat it was fun. Terrible movie. Hilariously terrible. Thankfully, it only hurts "when I laugh."

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Topper Harley posted:

12. Swamp Thing (1982)

This movie is hilarious. Swamp Thing is very clearly a man in a rubber suit. I mean... VERY CLEARLY. Like, they don't even try to hide it. At all. Also, there's a really great scene where Adrianne Barbeau is escaping some military guys and, while running around in the middle of the swamp, she finds a telephone booth. When the telephone booth doesn't work, she looks to her left and suddenly there is a gas station. Also, Wilhelm Scream! Brilliant!

There was an odd little out-of-place scene where Adrianne Barbeau's breasts made a cameo appearance while Swamp Thing looked on. Then he got mad and threw a book. Adrianne Barbeau's breasts make Swamp Thing mad, I guess.

I've never read the comic book, but can Swamp Thing actually heal people with his glowing touch similarly to E.T.? Because that is awesome, but it makes me really wonder why Swamp Thing had to run around with his arm inside his rubber suit after it was chopped off. Couldn't he, like, rejuvenate himself?

The animated transitions, while trying to emulate the comic books, are used in horribly inappropriate ways. At one point they use one of these transitions to cut from one shot to another within the same scene.

Partially due to David Hess's involvement, partially due to the setting of the film, this sometimes feels like a remake of Last House on the Left (sans rape).

This movie was clearly shot by a group of friends over the course of one weekend, using their parents' boats and cars as props.

I thought I was going to hate this after watching other early works by Wes Craven, but god drat it was fun. Terrible movie. Hilariously terrible. Thankfully, it only hurts "when I laugh."

Watch the first season of the Swamp Thing television series ASAP.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Lynch laughs at the concept of genre.

He also laughs at the idea of chapters on DVDs. I love the guy, but he's not always right.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

He also laughs at the idea of chapters on DVDs. I love the guy, but he's not always right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4wh_mc8hRE

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

you can definitely make a case for Blue Velvet as horror. the scene of Kyle Machlachlan hiding in the closet popped up on both Bravo and AFI's lists of scariest movie moments, as i recall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oGV3I8-Dd4

that Bravo special was real fun

It's a shame that the quickie sequel show (20 MORE scary moments) was basically an infomercial for Lion's Gate Films.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah that's how I felt. Even though there are parts in Blue Velvet that are scary and unsettling (I love the Candy Colored Sandman scene) it fits noir.

2-Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - This is a weird film because I loved the first half of it and then just checked out for the second. As long as it focused on the FBI it was interesting with a sinister undercurrent. The Scene with David Bowie coming into the office and freaking out really stands out as a highlight of the section. I'm not saying there weren't parts of the Laura Palmer section that were interesting (the sinister kid with the mask. BOB. Anything really with the red room). But that section of the movie drags on far longer than it really should. After a certain point, I was looking at the future death of Laura Palmer as an escape rather than as a tragedy. Also the final scene with the angel was tacky and not particularly in an entertaining way. As a fan of the series I hadn't seen FWWM before, and it is just too uneven to really recommend it to anybody.

At the end of the day, Fire Walk with me is just too... cryptic for its own good? I know part of the point is it is not supposed to give all the answers, just elaborate on the series but I think bringing up the fact that one investigator disappeared and never bringing it up again is just frustrating to me. Things don't have to be wrapped up in a huge bow, but it just makes the initial investigation seem pointless and a waste of the audiences time. If anything, perhaps getting Sutherlands character to talk to Kyle McLaughlin once, or just do something that makes the fun beginning investigation not seem like pointless filler before Laura Palmers wild drug adventure.

Best quote - Really anything said by Lynch's character. I love that shouting guy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I've seen that clip. Just because he thinks it's bullshit doesn't mean he's never pushed to do it. Most of his product placement goes towards an actual purpose, like the juxtaposition created with Jeffrey drinking Heineken and Frank drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon to show class and personality.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
2. Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge

I liked this movie pretty well. I haven't heard too much about this movie but if I had to guess maybe some people are upset with the changes from the first movie. It seems like Freddy is slightly different in this movie with somewhat different motivations and operates in a slightly different way than the first movie. Most notably now for some reason he has decided to possess some kid and I guess maybe eventually come into the real world? I don't know I was a little hazy on that aspect, and heck many of the aspects of this movie feel dreamlike. If the first movie had great individual dream sequences then this one feels like one long surreal dream sequence. I get almost a David Lynch feel from the way characters interact and react to certain sequences. Mainly when Jesse(?) goes out to visit the nightclub and runs into his gay PE teacher, and the entire conclusion of the plot which only really makes sense to me if the movie was some sort of long dream. I definitely like how the movie just focused on one character dealing with Freddy it gave the movie more of psychological feel as opposed to a train of kids getting picked off.

I have heard people talk about the gay subtext, and I definitely agree it seems Freddy seems to be a metaphor for gay urges or maybe just a teenager who is unsure sexually.

4/5

Rivarz
Oct 11, 2004
He who flows like water
My reviews aren't very good. I'm going to try to put more effort into these after today, but it's a pain in the rear end to write these with a kid hanging off you.

2. Monster House

I had to watch a kid friendly movie due to baby sitting duties...not too much horror to it, but enough that my 8 year old brother-in-law refused to go down the dark hall to the bathroom by himself. He may be a chicken.
A kid sees his neighbor die, and soon the man's house becomes haunted and he and his buddies investigate. I love the way this movie is shot (is there another word for that in an animated movie). Everything is framed really well, and it reminds me of a 70's horror movie in a way. The basic story is done in typical Dan Harmon style, and uses a lot of good horror tropes without being too cheesy. Definitely a classic for kids, and safer to show young kids than Monster Squad.

3. 1408

Thanks to Lurdiak for introducing me to this one. John Cusack is a chubby man who wears bad hats and gets stuck in a crazy hotel room. There were a lot more things I liked about this movie than disliked.
Good List:
Sets
Atmosphere
Pacing
Background Music
Most of the acting

Bad list:
Not sure of why anything really happened in the movie. I get the themes, but I don't get why the room did stuff.
John Cusack's hat provider.

I really enjoyed it.

4. Final Destination

I hadn't seen this movie since it came out. How the hell was Devon Sawa ever popular (outside of SLC Punk)? He has such a weird face, and his acting makes me think he was high the whole time. He won a freaking award for this too. Anyway, I like how the deaths in this are more serious than the sequels. They're not quite as rube goldberg-ish as later ones, but they build a lot more tension into them. Who names their daughter Clear Waters? What a lovely final girl. Dick move. Like a lot of these teen ensemble cast movies, no one is very likable, and you're glad when they die. Good concept for a film, decent execution. Fun for drinking or watching with friends.

5. Hotel Transylvania

Stay with me, I know this has Adam Sandler in it. This may be the only Adam Sandler movie in the last decade I actually like. Dracula owns a hotel for monsters, some kid shows up, his daughter gets the hots for him, good natured fun happens, the king of Queens hangs out with emperor kuzco, no one dies, and Adam Sandler sings a rap song with Andy Samberg, Celo Green and Selena Gomez. It's actually better than that makes it sound. Yeah, there are some eye-rolling scenes, but I've been subjected to waaaaaay worse kids movies (looking at you Inside Out and Cars 2). Don't get me wrong. It's not on par with Monster Squad or Monster House, but it is watchable at least once or twice.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
#13.Demons (2015). Jesus Christ, what a pile of steamy poo poo. I don't know what was going on most of the time in this flick. The characters all had traumatic brain injuries. So, a band goes to record time tracks with a guy and they find their singer dead there. The guy recording them wants to open a gate of hell or something. I was pissed I watched this piece of poo poo.

#14.1408 (2007). I never watched this because I thought it wasn't going to be very good. I was wrong. A haunted house contained to a hotel room works very well. John Cusiak gives a good performance in essentially a solo performance.

#15.Final Destination (2000). It's Mousetrap: The Movie! Cannon fodder characters get massacred in elaborate ways after they get off a plane that was supposed to explode.

#16.Friday the 13th Part III (1982). The first Friday the 13th where Jason wears a hockey mask! I like the Friday series. It's consistent. You know what you're going to get. A bunch of teenagers going to fornicate and engage in illicit substance use get killed. Simple and fun.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:siren:I've updated the OP for a more in-depth movie list on all streaming sites and updated the TV schedules:siren:
If there's anything that should be on the list that isn't, please let me know.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
You might wanna specify which region that Netflix list covers.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

:siren:I've updated the OP for a more in-depth movie list on all streaming sites and updated the TV schedules:siren:
If there's anything that should be on the list that isn't, please let me know.

Add Kuroneko to the Hulu Plus list, please. That was my big movie find of the 2014 challenge; it's brilliant and more people should watch it. Kuroneko is a film by the director of Onibaba which uses a lot of the same themes.

Also, Hulu Plus has Kwaidan, one of the greatest films ever made, though I'd assume anyone posting here is already familiar with that ghost story anthology...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I've seen that clip. Just because he thinks it's bullshit doesn't mean he's never pushed to do it. Most of his product placement goes towards an actual purpose, like the juxtaposition created with Jeffrey drinking Heineken and Frank drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon to show class and personality.

I am not trying to say anything with that clip, I just love how opinionated the man is.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Darthemed posted:

You might wanna specify which region that Netflix list covers.

Done.

Random Stranger posted:

Add Kuroneko to the Hulu Plus list, please. That was my big movie find of the 2014 challenge; it's brilliant and more people should watch it. Kuroneko is a film by the director of Onibaba which uses a lot of the same themes.

Also, Hulu Plus has Kwaidan, one of the greatest films ever made, though I'd assume anyone posting here is already familiar with that ghost story anthology...

Awesome, thanks!

Lurdiak posted:

I am not trying to say anything with that clip, I just love how opinionated the man is.

Haha, fair enough. I agree. My favorite clip of Lynch was a guy interviewing him for a magazine, talking about his dark subject matter. The question is long and implies that Lynch has a bunch off darkness in his life and issues, and Lynch smiles and says "Everything's okay, Eddie." He then ends the interview by saying "Yeah, it's time for me to have a cigarette."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
3) The Nightmare

Eh, not as good as it got hyped up for me. It was a weird blend of genuine 'this is a thing that happens and it's legitimately horrifying' and horror movie 'spooooooooooooky' when they did the reenactments. I think if they just did it straight it would have been more powerful. Still, a fascinating look at a condition that sounds fuckin bonkers and terrible.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

4) Dark Water

Was interested in seeing this. A Japanese movie by the director of The Ring and The Ring 2 that draws a lot of style from it. A mother in the middle of a divorce moves into a real crapass apartment with her daughter, and from there 90% of the movie revolves around the spirit of an abandoned girl about the daughter's age and a slowly increasing leak of water in the apartment. The end comes in a very expected way when you follow those themes, but the actress playing the mother does 'gently caress I'm scared and confused and I'm looking insane when my life is already falling apart' really well and puts a great amount of emotion in her performance. It's a movie with a dark sweetness to it at the end, and that's something that should be celebrated in horror just as much as 'and the spooky monster got away AND COULD BE RIGHT BEHIND YOU BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA' is. Totally worth a watch.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

(I watched the Japanese version of this, by the way. Not sure if the American remake is as good, but if The Ring/Ringu is any measure it's probably still a solid movie)

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Tatum Girlparts posted:

(I watched the Japanese version of this, by the way. Not sure if the American remake is as good, but if The Ring/Ringu is any measure it's probably still a solid movie)

The American remake is surprisingly good. It did a great job at emulating the feelings that the original had.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to do the full 31 movies separately from the Scream Stream, but I agree with everyone saying that 1408 was really good and Final Destination didn't hold up very well at all.

3. Black Christmas

For me this is the scariest slasher ever made, even moreso than Halloween. There are others that are nicer looking, have better acting, better special effects, but Black Christmas always just scared the crap out of me. Only the suburban surroundings of Haddonfield rival Black Christmas' sorority house in terms of a film changing a mundane, safe space into something terrifying. By the end of the movie the house feels so small, like taking a step in any direction could be fatal. Black Christmas and Twitch of the Death Nerve are like the parents of the slasher. Carpenter cribbed very heavily from Black Christmas when he made Halloween, and the same could be said of Friday the 13th and Twitch of the Death Nerve.

4. Deep Red

I only just discovered Argento last year, but I know I'll be watch a few of his films every October from here on out. I'm watching a bunch of slashers to kick things off so Deep Red was an obvious choice. There's a great blu ray set that includes this film, Inferno, and Cat O Nine Tails, and I highly recommend it.

Deep Red is the movie you'd put on if you were trying to show someone what a giallo is. Its basically the perfect template for the subgenre, its a solid mystery with some great characters and plenty of twists and turns. Because its Argento it also looks great, lots of bright colors which is something I always appreciate in a horror film. Like pretty much everything else I'm watching this month, its an undisputed classic.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

4) Dark Water

Was interested in seeing this. A Japanese movie by the director of The Ring and The Ring 2 that draws a lot of style from it. A mother in the middle of a divorce moves into a real crapass apartment with her daughter, and from there 90% of the movie revolves around the spirit of an abandoned girl about the daughter's age and a slowly increasing leak of water in the apartment. The end comes in a very expected way when you follow those themes, but the actress playing the mother does 'gently caress I'm scared and confused and I'm looking insane when my life is already falling apart' really well and puts a great amount of emotion in her performance. It's a movie with a dark sweetness to it at the end, and that's something that should be celebrated in horror just as much as 'and the spooky monster got away AND COULD BE RIGHT BEHIND YOU BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA' is. Totally worth a watch.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

Dark Water is actually the one case where I think the US remake is BETTER than the Japanese original during that cycle of the US remaking J-Horror for a fast buck during the 00's. They spend MUCH more time on characterization, plus it's cast is all top shelf. Jennifer Connelly, John C Reilly, Pete Postelwaite, Tim Roth, Catheryn Mannheim, and Dougray Scott, plus the little girl actress is actually pretty decent.

Unrelated, those of you talking about streaming sources, I recently found a guy on youtube, search for his channel "80sHorror.net" He's got playlists and links to like, over a hundred full length horror films that are up on youtube from the 80s.

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
I'm pretty sure that Halloween III:Season of the Witch was exactly the right choice to watch while I was/still am in a fog of delirium from being very sick, feverish, and sleep deprived. I also knew absolutely nothing about it except that Michael Myers isn't in it, so some people hate it. I love how crazy it is and everything just happens so fast that you just have to accept every nutso thing the movie sends at you. It reminded me more of a European thriller (I miiiight just be saying that because of the gratuitous shots of black leather gloves doing evil things) than an American slasher like the original Halloween. Even though it was weird and a little goofy at times, there were a several parts that truly did scare me beyond most horror movies. I loved the ending too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

Unrelated, those of you talking about streaming sources, I recently found a guy on youtube, search for his channel "80sHorror.net" He's got playlists and links to like, over a hundred full length horror films that are up on youtube from the 80s.

This is awesome, and I added it to the OPs. Thanks!

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Speed Crazy posted:

I'm pretty sure that Halloween III:Season of the Witch was exactly the right choice to watch while I was/still am in a fog of delirium from being very sick, feverish, and sleep deprived. I also knew absolutely nothing about it except that Michael Myers isn't in it, so some people hate it. I love how crazy it is and everything just happens so fast that you just have to accept every nutso thing the movie sends at you. It reminded me more of a European thriller (I miiiight just be saying that because of the gratuitous shots of black leather gloves doing evil things) than an American slasher like the original Halloween. Even though it was weird and a little goofy at times, there were a several parts that truly did scare me beyond most horror movies. I loved the ending too.

If feels European because it sort of is. Nigel Kneale of BBC Quartermass fame wrote the original screenplay for H3. Tommy Lee Wallace and John Carpenter modified the screenplay so much that Kneale asked for his name to be removed.

There are some plot holes and the acting can be a bit suspect at times but if you take the Halloween moniker away from it, it holds up against any other 80s horror movie.

Grnegsnspm
Oct 20, 2003

This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarian 2: Electric Boogaloo
Day 3 - Sunshine

Sunshine seemed a little mixed when they were doing the original promos for the movie. Sometimes it seemed like it was going to be a straight sci-fi film with some thrills and other times it seemed like it was going to be a weird horror film where the monster was the Sun. All told, I was curious but never enough to actually seek out and watch the film. Turns out the trailers were spot on about the movie not quite fully knowing what it wants to be but it at least manages to be entertaining.

Full Review

In all, I'd give it a 4 out of 5. Super fun to see Captain America and the Scarecrow on a space adventure trying to bomb the sun.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm starting off very front-heavy to leave some wiggle-room later in the month.

1. Yellowbrickroad - This is practically found footage month. In 1940 most of a town got up and walked north, and disappeared. Now (uh..now-ish) a researcher and his crew are following their path.

It was ok. It felt very fever-dreamy but formulaic and didn't really offer any surprises. (2/5)

2. The Visit - A brother and sister visit their estranged grandparents.

I liked it. The kids do a good job of carrying the movie, and the tension and creepiness mounts in a believable way. However, I think it relies too heavily on the idea that mental illness is confusing and creepy. (3.5/5)

3. Dead Snow 2: Red vs. Dead - The lone survivor of the original movie has returned, and so have the Nazi zombies.

Someone in the main horror thread called this the Evil Dead 2 to the original's Evil Dead. I'd go so far as to say this is the Army of Darkness. It really ramps up the comedy and becomes a really entertaining gory romp. Also, easily the best Nazi doctor in a movie ever. Fun movie! (4.5/5)

4. Unfriended - A group of friends meet in a Skype chat, and are joined by... SOMEONE ELSE.

Better than I expected it to be, but still not all that great. It does a pretty good job of being realistic with the technology. Well...pretty good. Better than most movies, anyway. Logically there isn't a lot holding it together though so don't think too hard about it. (2.5/5)

5. As Above, So Below - An archaeologist and her team search for the Philosopher's Stone in and under the catacombs of Paris.

I enjoyed this. The main character is basically a badass Lara Croft solving puzzles and exploring tombs. And maybe stumbling into hell. (3.5/5)

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Three days means three movies!

1.10.2015 - Homicycle (2014)

Really low-budget Canadian "exploitation" revival film in the vein of Hobo With A Shotgun/Troma. Just over an hour long is probably the best thing I can say about this. Some gore gags were shot innovatively considering the overall production values but otherwise not worth it.

2.10.2015 - A Christmas Horror Story (2015)

Anthology horror with three tales of Christmas-related mayhem, with William Shatner acting as a segue inbetween. The three (mostly not connected) stories were mashed together, showing bits of each one in sequence before getting the Shatner character in for a breather, then showing the next bit of each short, I could have done without it. The deranged Santa Claus vs Zombies story ended up being my favorite, and in the end being the one that the Shatner segments ended up propping up the most. Overall I liked it for what fun it was, though watching a Christmas film in October wasn't the best possible match.

3.10.2015 - It Follows (2014)

Probably don't need to say much about this one. I was WAY into the visual & audio side of things in this film, some of the scenes (the escape from the house, the beach) really drew me in with just how fun they were to watch and listen to. Really liked it as an experience.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Just watched the first Hellraiser. It was pretty good, I liked the combination of slasher and incomprehenisble-creature tropes. The edonistic demons were super creepy.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Tonight was Grabbers. I liked it well enough, even if it doesn't live up to its central hook (In fact I'd say that getting drunk ends up killing more people than it directly saves). However, it's worth watching just if you want to crush on an adorable Ruth Bradley, who hasn't done a lot since but really deserves to.

It's not bad though really. It's like an Irish mix between Tremors and Deep Rising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

#5: Witchtrap (1989)

The Goldbergs are professional ghost hunters, with the husband being a "mental medium" (ie, ghosts can talk through him). They get a call to investigate and hopefully exercise a bed and breakfast haunted by its previous owner, a satanic warlock by the name of Avery Lauder who was looking for immortality. They bring along their videographer (Linnea Quigley! ) and a less than willing friend Whitney O'Shea, who is a "physical medium" (Apparently ghosts can use her latent psychokinetic abilities to interact with the real world?) and are joined by three private security agents, fast talking Vincente, horndog Jackson, and the boss, Murphy. Still on as groundskeeper is Devon, Lauder's creepy assistant (Played by the film's writer-director Kevin Tenney). Will the crew succeed in ridding the inn of the murderous spirit, or will they become his next victims?

I came into this one totally blind, picking a title at random off a list of 80s horror, so I had no idea what to expect along the way. Normally when you describe a movie as "bad" you expect dull direction and bad writing to accompany lackluster acting. Here, only one side of the three-legged stool was broken, and it was definitely in front of the camera. The writing was actually often quite clever, and there were glimpses of rather nice ideas in the direction/special effects. But very few of the actors could work their way out of a paper sack. Mrs. Goldberg, played by Kathleen Bailey (imdb tells me she was only also in the movie Witchboard also by Tenney) spend 100% of her camera time shouting in monotone without changing her expressions. The opening exposition scene by the owner of the B&B where he tells us of the horrible goings on at his establishment and how much he's suffering sight reads his lines with the same enthusiasm as the "Solar Panels Presentation" scene in Birdemic. On top of that, there's a weird undercurrent where Whitney seems to constantly be shoving her Christianity in our faces. As I said, I went in blind, so for the first half hour I was suspecting I might have stumbled into a religious horror movie, which would have been a surprise. This really seems like the kind of movie that the veterans of the MST3K group would have stumbled upon by now to include in their act, and I can't recommend it with honesty to those who don't want to watch the stuff in the lower half of the barrel.

:spooky: :spooky:/5

• Locked thread