Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yes, but what if instead of asking for refund I give more money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, however their revision will not hold because it removes basic consumer rights:

Example:

A merchant sells you 10 pokemon cards.

They deliver 3 and promise to deliver the other 7 within 30 days.
After 30 days, they realize they can't deliver them until 180 days later.
They revise your ToS, and force you to agree to the 180 day rule just to use the 3 you already have.
This would remove your rights as a consumer, and allow them to continually fail to deliver their end of a product you delivered.

That's not how it works with software license agreements. Not even a little bit.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Paladinus posted:

kill self

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

By the way the latest insanity on other places is people claiming the Escapist should have posted the emails with the names blanked out (For the emails sent from Sandi that were abusive.)

Except by my recollection that violates an NDO, and it would simply take CiG checking their 'Sent' box for the matching text to sue any whistle blowers. Am I correct?

If the email contains something that is illegal (we aren't hiring no black people here) I'm fairly certain they would be protected as a whistleblower and CIG couldn't do poo poo to retaliate.

Though they'd probably end up without work for being a troublemaker regardless. My dad has had multiple occasions where he was clearly let go because of his age (including one place where quite literally if age >= 45 then fire) could have had a slam dunk age discrimination case but he always said if he did that he'd never work again even if he won.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 3, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

You can get out of contracts over arbitrary changes (this is a good way to escape 2 year phone contracts) but if you leave the contract for whatever reason then your license is revoked.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Iron Tusk posted:

If the email contains something that is illegal (we aren't hiring no black people here) I'm fairly certain they would be protected as a whistleblower and CIG couldn't do poo poo to retaliate.

They'd be dead to the industry though. Nobody is going to hire a whistleblower.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

My question is how do EU countries handles digital licenses, though? What's the standard for when the product is delivered for a license? Because for the digital products CIG is offering (basically everything but merch, now), you're not actually buying the game as a product--you're buying a license to a digital service which will eventually offer access to the game/ships. The license is delivered immediately (even if it's functionally useless), which I believe is where CIG's policy of refunds available up to 14 days after purchase, no questions asked, comes from.

Delivery is when the service starts, so it's release date and your ability to get a refund ends 14 days from then and then only assuming they did everything 100% correctly. They maybe get to keep the money from subscribers (though they'd really shouldn't have given hangar fair as in the event of a rejection of the goods that cost should be deducted and refunded, but I dunno that's not entirely clear). Everything else they have to refund (physical goods already accepted excluded).

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

corn in the bible posted:

You can get out of contracts over arbitrary changes (this is a good way to escape 2 year phone contracts) but if you leave the contract for whatever reason then your license is revoked.

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what CIG is trying to pull here.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Paladinus posted:

Good idea. Let's help Chris make Star Citizen real :)

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

G0RF posted:

CIG is an equal opportunity workplace, OhDearGodNo. They have Justin from "Reverse the Verse" AND Colt LeGrande (Sports Reporter) from the Empire Report. Hence they are diversified.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

They'd be dead to the industry though. Nobody is going to hire a whistleblower.

Ya it's a poo poo position to be in.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Let's say iTunes has a ToS dated June 2012 that says if an album (i.e. digital license) is not released 12 months after the promised delivery date, I can get a refund.

Let's say I order a Nickelback album on itunes July 4th, 2013

The album is scheduled to be released on October 1, 2014

They deliver 3 songs and the remainder by the release date.

On December 1, 2014 iTunes changes the ToS to October 2018 because they realized they cannot uphold their end of the business deal.

They cannot legally force you to agree to the new ToS just for you to use the 3 songs that are currently under a valid license agreement.

In other words, your defense that it's a license is even more retarded because CIG would need to acknowledge they have violated the original license, and gave you no option to recover your original contract.

you're only digging yourself deeper.

e: In your Hearthstone example: If Blizzard states the cards will remain in your possession for 5 years, and takes them away 2 years later, yes you most certainly have a case.

The problem is you're missing the part that started this whole discussion where I stated that what I'm saying is applicable only after you accept the new TOS. Once you do that, it's applicable to you going forward. They cannot retroactively change your agreement without your consent, but if you agree to have it modified, it's modified.

You're right, they can't legally force you to agree to a change--but you're wrong in that they can't force you to accept a new license to keep using your license because, in the US at least, they have the same right to terminate services with you as they have to terminate services with them. Now, if they terminate services with you and you never accepted the new license agreement--you're still legally entitled to that refund after 12 months, but you throw that out the window if you accept a modification to the agreement (assuming the original TOS included a modification agreement, which it did in this case).

You're arguing a hypothetical now where you never agree to a modified agreement--but that's not where the discussion started, when you claimed the old agreement was still in effect even after you had agreed to a new one.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

AP posted:

Delivery is when the service starts, so it's release date and your ability to get a refund ends 14 days from then and then only assuming they did everything 100% correctly. They maybe get to keep the money from subscribers (though they'd really shouldn't have given hangar fair as in the event of a rejection of the goods that cost should be deducted and refunded, but I dunno that's not entirely clear). Everything else they have to refund (physical goods already accepted excluded).

Where subscriber money goes is one of those things that I've always been curious about.

While I've never seen the result of someone raking the forums to get an exact number of subscribers I would have to think that they're bringing in a pretty substantial amount of money every month.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

What ongoing service does CIG provide for which you would need to agree to a new TOS? If you payed for something in 2013 and they updated their TOS in 2015 but you've never thought about SC since, why should you care about the new TOS?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Beer and Radio Dude:

Let's get some Sandi talk in this show before it's over! You're glossing over the best stuff!

(Peter Gabriel, when you gonna call in?)

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

AP posted:

Does the service have to include all potential elements to begin the delivery date counter? The CIG terms include any of the related modules (So Hangar and the like) as part of the same service license as SQ42 and the PU. So if I license you access to a service, give you access to elements of that service, but not all, what happens? Pro-rated refunds for the portion you were able to access?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dusty Lens posted:

Where subscriber money goes is one of those things that I've always been curious about.

While I've never seen the result of someone raking the forums to get an exact number of subscribers I would have to think that they're bringing in a pretty substantial amount of money every month.

lol what they have subscriptions for this non-game? what in the christ?

What exactly are they subscribing for? is SC meant to be a MMO like EVE or was it meant to be like Elite Dangerous with an online component for pvp matches?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Octopode posted:

The problem is you're missing the part that started this whole discussion where I stated that what I'm saying is applicable only after you accept the new TOS. Once you do that, it's applicable to you going forward. They cannot retroactively change your agreement without your consent, but if you agree to have it modified, it's modified.

You're right, they can't legally force you to agree to a change--but you're wrong in that they can't force you to accept a new license to keep using your license because, in the US at least, they have the same right to terminate services with you as they have to terminate services with them. Now, if they terminate services with you and you never accepted the new license agreement--you're still legally entitled to that refund after 12 months, but you throw that out the window if you accept a modification to the agreement (assuming the original TOS included a modification agreement, which it did in this case).

You're arguing a hypothetical now where you never agree to a modified agreement--but that's not where the discussion started, when you claimed the old agreement was still in effect even after you had agreed to a new one.

Here's where CIG failed:

- They never sent a notification of new ToS to current license holders
- They never specified a new delivery date (as required by the FTC in regards to the 30-day rule)

But the most important part:

- When you change the ToS, you are obligated to not only provide a clear opt-out, but you are allowed to have the license cancelled and refunds applied.

There's a reason I'm talking about people who have bought things before February 1st.

As such, CIG is required to present a new delivery date, and would need to give each consumer the option to cancel their order, and also notify all users that not only did the ToS change, but to outline what parts were changed. Also, as I stated before, the waiver of civil action in the ToS is unenforceable almost anywhere.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Roflan posted:

What ongoing service does CIG provide for which you would need to agree to a new TOS? If you payed for something in 2013 and they updated their TOS in 2015 but you've never thought about SC since, why should you care about the new TOS?

Access to all the various modules (and potentially the website and the like as well) are covered under the same service license and terms, so if you've logged into them, since then, you've probably agreed to the new terms.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Octopode posted:

You have to explicitly agree to have any TOS modified. Visiting the website after the fact doesn't imply consent, nor does even purchasing a product (purchasing agreements are different). In fact, if you want to get super legalistic (which you are sort of being except that every one of your suppositions is incorrect), a signature is required to validate a TOS. Clicking "I Agree" from your IP address doesn't mean anything. It's why most actually legally binding contracts that are digital require an e-signature service.

Hypothetically, if you had a TOS tied to a product or good then you purchased it, that's one thing. The "loophole" as it were is the merchant's agreement, which is something little bit different, that enters you into a contract when you pay for a good or service. HOWEVER, unless it is delivered PRECISELY as prescribed by the merchant (in this case, CIG promising a bunch of poo poo that hasn't happened), you can challenge this agreement, be refunded, etc.

Why do you think CIG is offering refunds for people asking now? Not only is it easier than them fighting it, but if someone wanted to push the issue, CIG wouldn't have a leg to stand on, even if some magical TOS was in effect that protected them. Someone with proper resources and motivation, could, in theory, sue to have their funds returned, or perform a class action on the behalf of interested parties, for anyone that say, backed SC in anticipation of the NOV 2014 promised deadline. Since that deadline wasn't met, they are entitled to a refund as services were not delivered as advertised.

But your entire understanding of how these agreements work is absolutely and definitively incorrect.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 3, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm going to keep feeding that goose gold until it lays golden eggs.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
That's it I'm gonna donate infinity money, I played privateer 1 I highly doubt there are hundreds or more boring space sims on the market.

Seriously these games loving suck, you have to has rear end burgers to enjoy them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
http://www.beyondthehorizonradio.com/

We're bitching about SC. Musical interlude included 3's The Man Who Sold the 'Verse and now Cult of Personality.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Agrajag posted:

The best reference I can use is Elite Dangerous. They aren't exactly making mad sales numbers since release going by this: http://steamcharts.com/app/359320
Most of their sales are done via Frontier's own online store, the steam sales are not an accurate count. In fact Frontier has made a decent profit since launch. They are also a publicly traded company so we can read reports such as:

quote:

Sept 8th:
The video game developer reported a pretax profit of GBP1.6 million for the year to end-May, swung from a pretax loss of GBP1.6 million a year before, as a more than doubling in revenue to GBP22.8 million from GBP9.5 million was partly offset by higher cost of sales and administrative expenses.

Sales of the title made up 84% of the company's sales during the year, and Frontier Developments said that in 2016 it expects 100% of its revenue to come from self-published titles. The company said that as at the end of August, it had sold 825,000 paid units of the product.
Also Elite was something Frontier gradually developed with their own funds.
It's estimated budget was £8 million pounds, but it seems to have had expanded somewhat. The IP rights buyout was £5 million - the company had to sell off 5% of it's total shares to get there.
Kickstarting was a way to generate some cashflow and promote the game plus get early backers into it to stress test and get some QA done.
While the payoff has been slow, they don't count their chickens and only really announce features they can deliver on and give themselves time to refine existing ones.

Compare that to Star Citizen's ever growing shopping list of impulsive features that were likely shouted out at random at a dev meeting as they assumed they'd be able to easily tick it off with a few extra thousand bucks.
One can only hope the PR disaster forces Roberts to rethink how his company is run and drastically restructures development to streamline what sounds like a very complicated and messy pipeline.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

http://www.beyondthehorizonradio.com/

We're bitching about SC. Musical interlude included 3's The Man Who Sold the 'Verse and now Cult of Personality.

Oh good, Blue's still alive.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

Here's where CIG failed:

- They never sent a notification of new ToS to current license holders
- They never specified a new delivery date (as required by the FTC in regards to the 30-day rule)
They did, actually. Check your email for the weekly update sent out on February 6th, which contains a link to this Pledge Store Update:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14473-RSI-Pledge-Store-Updat
Which clearly indicates everyone will be required to accept a new ToS.

OhDearGodNo posted:

But the most important part:

- When you change the ToS, you are obligated to not only provide a clear opt-out, but you are allowed to have the license cancelled and refunds applied.

There's a reason I'm talking about people who have bought things before February 1st.

As such, CIG is required to present a new delivery date, and would need to give each consumer the option to cancel their order, and also notify all users that not only did the ToS change, but to outline what parts were changed. Also, as I stated before, the waiver of civil action in the ToS is unenforceable almost anywhere.

The original ToS and the new one both included clear opt-out terms already when you agreed to them, and by doing so, you would have retained your original refund ability. The requirement to outline what parts is changed is fulfilled by presenting them to you when you agree to the new terms, which they did.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Agrajag posted:

Yeah, I don't even see how they can generate even more sales, if they ever release an actual game. I mean whoever is already interested in buying the game would have likely already bought it during the crowdfunding phase. The sales after a release would be minuscule compared to the profits generated through crowdfunding. It is a very niche genre after all.

The only possible way for them to continue making money is to continue on as they are right now and never release a finished game.

Cosmetic sales for custom paint jobs, decals, lighting, etc., etc. An example from Planetside 2:

Stock Sunderer: :effort: :frogout: :smith:

Pimped-out Whip: :homebrew: :pcgaming: :whatup:

Custom paint job, decal, rims, grill, and hood ornament. Odds are it also has undercarriage lighting and a custom horn, all of which cost anywhere from $5 - $10 a pop, making that single van represent $35 to $70 in sales.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Paladinus posted:

I'm going to keep feeding that goose gold until it lays golden eggs.
I'm going to keep giving this goose farmer gold that he says he's feeding his goose. He says the golden eggs are definitely around the corner, no more than two weeks! He also said that any rumours the goose is in fact dead are vicious unsubstantiated lies.

Also, he asked me if I liked the new sports car he acquired in a completely unrelated venture to golden eggs, and then he offered to sell me some really cheap goose liver. What a guy!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Hey Octopode, do you think this game will actually come out in the form in which CIG currently describe it?

This is not a trick or some sort of elaborate trap, I'm genuinely interested.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Hey Octopode, do you think this game will actually come out in the form in which CIG currently describe it?

This is not a trick or some sort of elaborate trap, I'm genuinely interested.

In a reasonably similar form as they have described, yes. In a form as people imagine? No.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Dusty Lens posted:

Oh good, Blue's still alive.

Where the hell have you been?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Thank goodness Octopode is here, I was starting to have fun reading this thread.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

OhDearGodNo posted:

She wrote the first piece on September 22nd, in which it was rumored that two were fired on the spot.

On the 25th, AFTER James and Alyssa were fired suddenly- why would she not reach out? That's literally how a good journalist works. There's nothing fishy about it.

According to the VERY detailed reports on the contacts listed here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/14727-The-Escapist-Explains-Its-Star-Citizen-Sources-Vetting-and-Respo

Compared to reddit's incredible investigation abilities (such as with the Boston Bomber) and source of "Chris Roberts said so." I think the Escapist has a very good position at the moment.

I couldn't care less about if it's clickbait. Hell, every "story" that's interesting or involves personal drama is clickbait. This entire thread is clickbait and I love it.

However, it's funny seeing vapid SC cult members (and CIG) demand to know anonymous sources under the guise of "vetting." This is bullshit. CIG wants to consider suing for a possible NDO they had the employees sign, and the SC cult just wants blood.

Also, let's consider the behavior of The Escapist and Liz compared to CIG.

After the story, The Escapist and Liz

- Updated with Christ Robert's response interwtined in the article. Not just amended, but put inside it with direct responses to the allegations.
- Posted another article detailing not just the times and methods, but also included information/sources they considered unreliable and did not include.
- Looking over Liz and Jason's tweets they've been calm, collected, and rational in the face of constant online attacks and what can be easily seen as interrogation and threats

Meanwhile, at CIG:

- They actually put a token black guy on AtV.
- They had current employees post testimonials
- Only one posted a positive review, and on reddit.
- Has made efforts to remove old articles and postings that have shown outright fabrications
- Have made efforts to prevent archiving of the past (see the new robots.txt for an example)

If CIG really wanted to try and discredit the Escapist, they would publicly remove the NDO from all employees, but that won't happen.

By the looks of things, The Escapist is being as open as possible while still protecting sources (something that has been the tenet of journalistic integrity for decades) while on the other hand CIG has been pulling an Enron and shredding anything incriminating in a mad panic.

I am not disagreeing at all, but if you are all about annonymous sources and protecting them from disclosure because they want to remain annonymous, you should never approach any potential sources, publically, via twitter to the world. Especially if you are running with an article later on that uses ex-employees as sources. :)

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Where the hell have you been?

Not where all the cool kids are, apparently.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

thatguy posted:

Thank goodness Octopode is here, I was starting to have fun reading this thread.

We all have our own version of shitposting. Mine just doesn't involve the same poo poo repeated ad nauseum from six threads ago.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

sorla78 posted:

I am not disagreeing at all, but if you are all about annonymous sources and protecting them from disclosure because they want to remain annonymous, you should never approach any potential sources, publically, via twitter to the world. Especially if you are running with an article later on that uses ex-employees as sources. :)

So if you're saying that if ISIS sends me a twitter message trying to recruit me, and then sets off a roadside bomb, then it must have been me that did it?

Because that's your logic.

Octopode posted:

We all have our own version of shitposting. Mine just doesn't involve the same poo poo repeated ad nauseum from six threads ago.

No, your shitposting involves reading half a wikipedia page on contract law and then wasting 3 pages proving how incorrect you are.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Octopode posted:

In a reasonably similar form as they have described, yes. In a form as people imagine? No.

What would it take to make you think it wasn't going to happen? I ask only because everything I've seen and played so far makes me think if we're lucky we'll get a single player game that's quite fun. I've not seen anything to suggest that the multiplayer stuff is going to be anything other than a mess.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
You know its bad when the only shill left in this thread has to resort to tedious, legalistic arguments over contract law that nobody gives a poo poo about in order to defend this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Octopode posted:

I'm sorry that reality doesn't fall neatly into the personal narrative you've constructed...

• Locked thread