Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Back in the late 80s, I worked for a locally owned grocery store that had in house charge accounts. We used NCR registers like this one (ours were brown):

We had three and the third one was the master unit that had a cassette drive in it to record not only charge transactions, but daily sales info as well.

At the end of the day, we would clear out the registers and take the tape out. It would then be put into a device called a "Byte Bucket" (I have never been able to find a picture). It was an industrial cassette reader about 6" square and about a foot long. It was attached via RS232 cable to one of these:

A program would read the tape and create a file (on a 5.25" floppy) to be used by the in house charge account software housed in a regular PC clone. I never found put why they couldn't attach the cassette reader to the PC.

The software read the file and updated the customers' accounts and produced sales reports for the day. At the end of the month, we ran statements which were printed using a wide carriage dot matrix printer. All in all, it would take about three hours to run not including mailing out the statements.

Since the company who designed the software hadn't provided a user manual AND went out of business not long after, I was tasked with coming up with one. It's amazing how many steps there are when you break it down.

I left the store, but for several years afterward I would be called in to re-install the software when it went wonky. They were still using my instructions, now torn and repaired numerous times.

When they moved the store to a new location, they ditched the charge accounts and started accepting credit cards.

Despite the ridiculous number of steps involved, it worked quite well, and rarely malfunctioned.

I hadn't really considered how normal businesses integrated computers back then, so this is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

That's the modern version. I sent an email to the company to see if they were the ones who made the one I used.

e: Email came back as undeliverable. Oh, well.

Mister Kingdom has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Oct 3, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Krispy Kareem posted:

When we last moved I got a couple of big boxes for my wife. One was a wardrobe box. Probably small in terms of wardrobe boxes but absolutely gravitationally altering massive for books. That was a fun experience.

I'm a historian. The last time I moved there was pretty much nothing but books.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I'm a historian. The last time I moved there was pretty much nothing but books.

Star Trek had a historian. She ended up banging Khan

It was her death that made him wrathful toward Captain Kirk, which led to that radiation room scene in the Christmas ornament that people are making fun of in another thread

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

I choose to believe that it actually works exactly as pictured, like you're supposed to have the card just danging off a corner.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

GreenNight posted:

Hmm, well my girlfriend is 9 years younger than me, but plenty of years legal.

You're 32 and you've been dating for 7.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lol if those stats are correct.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was looking around for a decent speaker system for my kitchen, something second-hand that wasn't too expensive, sounded at least decent enough and that I wouldn't mind chucking out in 3-4 years when it inevitably succumbs to being used in a kitchen with non-ideal ventilation.

As I stumbled across one nearly free iPod speaker dock after another, I realized that no one actually wants speaker docks anymore. They used to be everywhere, every company made at least one, there were some pretty good high-end ones out there, and a whole lot of plastic lowest-bidder crap. Sure, there are still some speaker docks from the bigger brands available, like the B&W Zeppelin Air, but for the most part, docks have been replaced by Airplay/Bluetooth/DLNA wireless streaming.

I guess it primarily happened because Apple switched from the 30-pin connector to the Lightning connector and make all the old docks obsolete in one fell swoop. In combination with good wireless streaming finally being available, no one wanted a $100 plastic docking station with crappy speakers anymore, and the manufacturers probably didn't want to pay the licensing cost for the new connector.

The prime example is probably the iPod hifi, but that's actually cheating a bit, since it was introduced in 2006 with big fanfare as "hifi, reinvented for the iPod generation" and phased out shortly after in 2007 because it was just too expensive and hardly anyone bought one. Other docks soldiered on until probably 2012 when the iPhone 5 came out with the Lightning connector. Airtunes and Bluetooth existed before that, but it really didn't blow up until around that time, too. Because the iPod Hifi has become somewhat of a collector's item, they're actually more expensive than I expected.

I ended up with a blatant (and less expensive) clone of the iPod Hifi. $10 in mint condition (or as mint condition as a cheapish Chinese knockoff ever was). It's got an aux input, so the only truly obsolete thing is the 30-pin dock connector. The sound is surprisingly decent too, probably because it's actually a properly-sized cabinet, as opposed to most other docks.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 10:53 on Oct 4, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Non Serviam posted:

You're 32 and you've been dating for 7.

Close, I'm 34 and dating for 2.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

I was looking around for a decent speaker system for my kitchen, something second-hand that wasn't too expensive, sounded at least decent enough and that I wouldn't mind chucking out in 3-4 years when it inevitably succumbs to being used in a kitchen with non-ideal ventilation.

As I stumbled across one nearly free iPod speaker dock after another, I realized that no one actually wants speaker docks anymore. They used to be everywhere, every company made at least one, there were some pretty good high-end ones out there, and a whole lot of plastic lowest-bidder crap. Sure, there are still some speaker docks from the bigger brands available, like the B&W Zeppelin Air, but for the most part, docks have been replaced by Airplay/Bluetooth/DLNA wireless streaming.

I guess it primarily happened because Apple switched from the 30-pin connector to the Lightning connector and make all the old docks obsolete in one fell swoop. In combination with good wireless streaming finally being available, no one wanted a $100 plastic docking station with crappy speakers anymore, and the manufacturers probably didn't want to pay the licensing cost for the new connector.

The prime example is probably the iPod hifi, but that's actually cheating a bit, since it was introduced in 2006 with big fanfare as "hifi, reinvented for the iPod generation" and phased out shortly after in 2007 because it was just too expensive and hardly anyone bought one. Other docks soldiered on until probably 2012 when the iPhone 5 came out with the Lightning connector. Airtunes and Bluetooth existed before that, but it really didn't blow up until around that time, too. Because the iPod Hifi has become somewhat of a collector's item, they're actually more expensive than I expected.

I ended up with a blatant (and less expensive) clone of the iPod Hifi. $10 in mint condition (or as mint condition as a cheapish Chinese knockoff ever was). It's got an aux input, so the only truly obsolete thing is the 30-pin dock connector. The sound is surprisingly decent too, probably because it's actually a properly-sized cabinet, as opposed to most other docks.

We still have one iPhone dock/speaker and it gets a fair bit of use. It's really nice to have something solid that's always in the same place that no one can swipe for themselves.

My guess is Apple switches to wireless charging with the iPhone 7 and makes everyone's life easier.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KozmoNaut posted:

Got a link or anything? I'll be sad when my iPod classic eventually dies, because I like the capacity. 160gb, 17k songs on there and I still have 35.6gb free.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Manuel Calavera posted:

Got a link or anything? I'll be sad when my iPod classic eventually dies, because I like the capacity. 160gb, 17k songs on there and I still have 35.6gb free.

It's the Denver IFI-700. There are others in the same line as well, but that model seems to be the easiest to find. I don't know if they were sold outside of Europe.

Funny thing, apparently the remote lets you go through the menus on a docked iPod. The real iPod hifi didn't actually do that.

The power supply is kinda noisy for some reason, but in my case I'll be using it in the kitchen, so eh who cares it was cheap. I'm sure it can be quietened down with a liberal application of hot glue or something, as the noise comes directly from the transformer, not through the speakers.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 03:34 on Oct 5, 2015

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Krispy Kareem posted:

We still have one iPhone dock/speaker and it gets a fair bit of use. It's really nice to have something solid that's always in the same place that no one can swipe for themselves.

My guess is Apple switches to wireless charging with the iPhone 7 and makes everyone's life easier.

Apple will have wireless available, but they will never stop selling cables. There is just too much money in that proprietary cable.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Xenoletum posted:

Apple will have wireless available, but they will never stop selling cables. There is just too much money in that proprietary cable.

No reason they couldn't do a proprietary charging pad

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Didn't Apple also put a chip in their current gen cables to clamp down on the massive market of shonky $1 chargers that would combust?

josiahgould
Nov 10, 2009

WebDog posted:

Didn't Apple also put a chip in their current gen cables to clamp down on the massive market of shonky $1 chargers that would combust?

Pretty sure they broke that a while back. I see $1-$2 Lightning cables in convenience stores all the time.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Manuel Calavera posted:

128 GB micro SD in my phone/tablet in music mode is comparable, and I don't have to convert poo poo anymore, and if I need more space I get another for a fraction of the price if an iPod.

I used to love my classic but it has been finding less use than a non dedicated mp3 player, in that I rarely have my iPod ready but my phone or cheap Chinese media player is much more ready and capable.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah, I actually skipped the whole ipod era.
I don't see the point of one when any phone can do it, and they have been able to for a long long time.
I've got an old lovely andriod phone I keep just for listening to podcasts in bed.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
I still use an old 80GB iPod Classic from september 2007 because of iTunes Smart Playlists and having some actual button feedback. Then again, I mostly use it in my car so stabbing blindly at a screen that may or may not be on is not really a safe alternative. Not to mention that it's comparably one of the loudest devices when hooked up to my car's aux in, my phone just doesn't get to the same volume level.

May end up just replacing the battery when that inevitably dies, it's already lasting far shorter on a charge than it used to.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

While recycling an old Windows 95 desktop this afternoon, I was reminded by how far we've come in another way: disk space. The computer, which I think was purchased at Walmart, came with some obscenely low amount of disk space. I can't remember the exact figure, but when a local computer tech upgraded it to 2 gigs, that could fit everything. Also, he charged about $200. This was 1996ish.

My first flash drive held 64 megs. I bought that alongside a laptop in I think 2003.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

My first PC had 120MB hard drive space, and that was the "extra large" option for that model.

And no matter how big your hard drive is it will be 90% full most of the time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:lol: if your IBM PC XT Model 286 didn't have a 20 MB Winchester drive just :laffo:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Winchester. That's a man's hard drive :clint:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Xenoletum posted:

I think the era of Apple proprietary cables is going to end with USB-c. They might be able to create a proprietary wireless charging platform, but I'm not sure it's possible since it's just one conductive point against another conductive point. Not as easy as sticking a chip in a cable, but if anyone can figure out how to make it extra expensive - it's Apple.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Inductive, not conductive :eng101:

And yeah, Apple will probably use some kind of RFID/NFC type deal to authenticate the phone to the charger, probably with the excuse that otherwise it would be dangerous if you put your keys on it. Or "to provide the optimal charging profile for a specific device" or some such bullshit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Winchester. That's a man's hard drive :clint:

Bernoulli? Sounds gay.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

RC and Moon Pie posted:

While recycling an old Windows 95 desktop this afternoon, I was reminded by how far we've come in another way: disk space. The computer, which I think was purchased at Walmart, came with some obscenely low amount of disk space. I can't remember the exact figure, but when a local computer tech upgraded it to 2 gigs, that could fit everything. Also, he charged about $200. This was 1996ish.

My first flash drive held 64 megs. I bought that alongside a laptop in I think 2003.

My first home PC had a 500mb hard drive. IBM Aptiva 2144
My first MP3 player had about 12 MB. I don't remember the name or anything; it did have a slot for some proprietary card that you could get to expand it to some whooping 64 MB though.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
lol if your computer had non volatile storage aside from a tape jack

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

Inductive, not conductive :eng101:

I'm an Apple user. I have very little idea how wireless charging works.

quote:

And yeah, Apple will probably use some kind of RFID/NFC type deal to authenticate the phone to the charger, probably with the excuse that otherwise it would be dangerous if you put your keys on it. Or "to provide the optimal charging profile for a specific device" or some such bullshit.

Or they'll just realize it's a disappearing revenue stream. USB-C is doing that with their proprietary laptop chargers and they seem perfectly happy - even enthusiastic, to adopt the technology. Maybe there's a significant cost savings to using the same cable/port type across all your hardware.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm an Apple user. I have very little idea how wireless charging works.

Inductive charging uses electromagnetism, conductive charging uses direct contact. So actually all non-wireless chargers are conductive chargers :v:

quote:

Or they'll just realize it's a disappearing revenue stream. USB-C is doing that with their proprietary laptop chargers and they seem perfectly happy - even enthusiastic, to adopt the technology. Maybe there's a significant cost savings to using the same cable/port type across all your hardware.

Maybe it is a sign of Apple coming to their senses now that The Big Steve has been out of the picture for a while.

I think part of the reasoning for cutting off cheap third-party peripherals and cables was because people would blame Apple products if they had a duff third-party charger blow up their phone. With only approved official chargers, you sidestep that issue.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Don't be silly. The Macbook only has one USB-C port and no others, and an $80 adapter if you need to connect 2 devices. Or 1 and charge.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Don't be silly. The Macbook only has one USB-C port and no others, and an $80 adapter if you need to connect 2 devices. Or 1 and charge.

It's technically an expensive, proprietary dock/adapter and not an expensive, proprietary cable.

And it's not like Apple has ever been generous with ports. One port on the whole computer sounds about right.

Ports are obsolete.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

While I normally defend getting rid of legacy stuff I have to say a single USB-C port is a bit silly. They could at least have had one on each side of the laptop.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
USB-C? TB?
I can't keep up with the kids these days. Gimme my obsolete and failed technology.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ThunderBolt is pretty much failed technology though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

My new motherboard has a single USB C connector. I just today got two USB C to micro cables in the mail from DX for the novelty of charging my phone from it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

Not really, it just hasn't really broken into the consumer market too much. Most of the stuff out is for disk arrays and docks. I have a dock both at the office and at home and work (work got both) and it's great. 2 USB3, 2 TB2/mini-DP, 2 eSATA, HDMI, and gigEthernet. I expect it to really start taking off with the next iteration since TB3 will have the USB-C form factor and will fully support external graphics cards. And since TB3 is basically a connector to the PCIe bus I can see that being a big selling point for people who want portable machines that turn into desktop equivalent gaming machines.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 15:58 on Oct 5, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Collateral Damage posted:

First time I heard of TB I was confused. What, Isn't that an old AMD processor? :v:

Has firewire failed and become obsolete yet?
I heard it was going to be ever since USB2 came out. Every PC and laptop I own has had a firewire port yet I've never ever used it. E: and these were all non apple PCs which is the suprising thing.

poo poo, most of my PCs still have a serial port. My laptop doesn't but that has a VGA and some type of TV svideo out instead just for kicks.
I like lots of interesting obsolete ports on my pcs. I'd be bored if everything was USBx and display-port, no mystery would be left in inane pondering on what could have been.
Not to mention strange and wonderous phone cables that gave that satisfying click of some weird proprietary cable that locks in to that old phone...

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 16:03 on Oct 5, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fo3 posted:

First time I heard of TB I was confused. What, Isn't that an old AMD processor? :v:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlon#Thunderbird_.28T-Bird.29

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Thunderbolt is kinda popular with audio production gear, generally more expensive high-end stuff though.