Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Is that Croberts calling E:D bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

sorla78 posted:

Sure the collective rational minds on this board agree. Still, if she was a source this would have compromised her and if she is not a source, it might raise suspicion and end up being a liability. In the words of Sandi: "She is a traitor we cannot trust her, we don't hire her."

I'm not sure I understand the conspiracy theory.

I mean, a journalist writes an article about two unnamed people being fired for possibly uncouth reasons, and a couple days later that journalist sees that it was Alyssa. And people find this odd that she reached out to her?

Why?

"Oh look, Alyssa was one of the people I wrote about a few days ago. Maybe I should ask if she'd like to comment"

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

Its somewhat of a moot point, because they can't. They might end up with an incredibly unstable sorta planetside/E:D game though.

Speaking of unstable planetside/E:D I've been playing Angels Fall First.

Some rough edges and a lot of systems that aren't fantastically explained at this point, but having fun so far. The visual design is pretty great and the gameplay feels a lot like planetside 1 mashed up with Battlefront 1/2 in a lot of ways

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm not sure I understand the conspiracy theory.

I mean, a journalist writes an article about two unnamed people being fired for possibly uncouth reasons, and a couple days later that journalist sees that it was Alyssa. And people find this odd that she reached out to her?

Why?

"Oh look, Alyssa was one of the people I wrote about a few days ago. Maybe I should ask if she'd like to comment"

Same as people thinking its a conspiracy theory for keeping the sources anonymous: they're stupids.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You know, I might have spent millions on lube, but one day I believe my cock will jizz out a previously never seen Fabergé egg and when it happens you all will be sorry.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Paladinus posted:

You know, I might have spent millions on lube, but one day I believe my cock will jizz out a previously never seen Fabergé egg and when it happens you all will be sorry.

Yeah, sorry that you destroyed your own urethra in the process.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Agrajag posted:

Yeah, sorry that you destroyed your own urethra in the process.

Failing to maintain a well lubed urethra is a rookie mistake.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

sorla78 posted:

Sure the collective rational minds on this board agree. Still, if she was a source this would have compromised her and if she is not a source, it might raise suspicion and end up being a liability. In the words of Sandi: "She is a traitor we cannot trust her, we don't hire her."

The real world doesn't work like that. They will already have a pretty good idea who leaked, the problem is they need proof to take action (I believe there are legal implications in California), someone asking for comment is only proof that someone asked for comment.

Suspicion only hurts current staff like earlier in the thread I said that Disco Lando was sharing gossip about Sandi to me via private message and that might have got him fired if they really are batsville crazy in CIG LA. But it was a joke and does no harm, plus it wasn't true, he was telling me juicy stuff via email instead.

AP fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 3, 2015

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

G0RF posted:

I agree. I mean, hell-- the warning signs have been obvious for so bloody long. Not just of Chris' crazy scope creep / space pixel ponzi con-- but of Sandi's toxic Santa Monica hellhole. Any dumbass journo could've started digging-- hell, Kotaku had multiple reports from employees and they DID NOTHING, despite the fact that racist, sexist workplaces is right in their wheelhouse.

It would've been nice to have a NY Times Caliber journalist researching this crap for months, verifying every claim thrice over, securing physical evidence and turning in an NYT Mag can cover story. Escapist fell short of that-- but nine sources (6 on record) is a LOT more than we usually get from gaming journalism-- and it prompted the most ludicrous spaz reply from Roberts which was itself newsworthy.

CIG has been engaged in outrageous, unethical, sleazy and outright idiotic business practices for so drat long-- and getting nothing but rear end kissing from the Gamespots of the world.

So despite the fact that a takedown could've been better, I'm still delighted Escapist broke the story they did. Blood is in the water, Chris and Sandi are floundering, Derek Smart is gloating, spergs are having conniption fits and methinks this thing is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Which of course means it's getting better all the time.

The employee story is actually the human interest aspect of it. I am stunned (actually, no) that the reddit "community" views anyone who speaks out as a traitor, even though they have been skinned and abused by the CIG regime. They are desperate to cling to the vision that CIG is the place where dreams are made, not crushed and everything to the contrary is dismissed particularly as "click bait" or DS. They seem perfectly to see the game "made" on the bones of crushed employees and are determined to vilify the employees who speak out when in fact they deserve support right now. HR reporting harassment and humiliation to the very people that did it seems fascinating. I wonder how long they worked on that email to make sure it was "worded right".

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
That Escapist journalist, I forget her name, said a lot of the sources feel guilty, I can well imagine that, you just have to look at how deluded some of the fans are and the prices they charge for ships. I'm sure it's a lot easier to rationalise that guilt away with money but CIG don't apparently pay very well below VP level.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

AP posted:

That Escapist journalist, I forget her name, said a lot of the sources feel guilty, I can well imagine that, you just have to look at how deluded some of the fans are and the prices they charge for ships. I'm sure it's a lot easier to rationalise that guilt away with money but CIG don't apparently pay very well below VP level.

This seems like a holdover from the 'good old days' as well. When your Garriotts and the like were riding high on the efforts of sweatshop programming nerds.

Maybe someone decided that the biggest issue with publishers is that they set a salary and bonus cap for their project managers.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
I’m sure CIG has already done this, but figured it might be useful for those of you keeping track of details.

Below are the pull quotes from the Escapist story, organized by sources. Direct quotes (from emails or phone calls) are in bold. All else is not.

Code names are my own. In only one case is the gender of the source specified (CS3) probably by accident by the reporter.

ESCAPIST PULLQUOTES BY SOURCE

CS1 - Code Name: E.E.O.C.

quote:

$90 million for what he's pitching, even with a competent leadership, you couldn't do,” CS1 wrote. "The thing you have to remember about Chris Roberts is that, before this, he hadn't made a game in 12 years. He has no concept of what can and can't be done today with that amount of money, or for a game like this. Chris Roberts hadn't made a game in 12 years, and he was actively ignoring the input of people who have been in and a part of the industry that entire time.”

CS1 reported that they were instructed to, first, check the education field on a prospective employee's resume. If too much time had passed, Gardiner reportedly informed people not to hire them, because ”they may be over 40, which makes them a protected class and harder to fire.” It was also claimed that Gardiner used race as a determining factor in selecting employees, allegedly once saying ”We aren't hiring her. We aren't hiring a black girl.”

Some expressed concerns that Star Citizen became more about the crowdfunding than the actual project. ”With Star Citizen, the metric is how much money you've made, not what you've done with that money,” CS1 stated.

CS2 - Code Name: The Little Boy Who Cried “Naked”

quote:

The popular consensus among most of the people who reached out is that Chris Roberts is not intentionally a con man. ”He doesn't set out in the morning to screw anybody over. He's just incredibly arrogant,” CS2 stated.

They've spent $82 million dollars, and what is there to show for that? There's a demo, a racing demo, a single first person shooter level, and an area where you can walk around. For $82 million,” CS2 stated.

The thing I noticed when I started was that we were making commercials. We weren't making a game,” CS2 said. ”It was all about what was on the screen behind [Roberts] during the presentation.”

"Fans would come into the studio, and I wanted to be like 'Dude, run. Take your money and run.' I felt like I was part of a con,” CS2 added. ”This could really severely damage crowdfunding, at least for games. Who's going to want to do that again? People will look at everything and think 'but what if it's another Star Citizen?’”

”Games are made like houses. You want to make the foundation first and the wallpaper last. With Chris Roberts, everything is the wallpaper,” CS2 added. "I think there will be a game. But it will be a shell of what was promised.”

”Chris Roberts thinks he's George Lucas. He thinks he's a genius,” CS2 asserted. ”He's a fraud, pure and simple. If he was just a salesman, or he worked in marketing, or he was answering to a producer, he would do well. But the emperor wears no clothes. Anybody who has worked with him will tell you the same thing. The difference is that lots of people have a dream, but only some can communicate it. I don't think he's sinister, or a bad person. He's Donald Trump. He thinks that if he wants to do something, he can. Because he's Chris Roberts.”

CS3 - Code Name: The Conscientious Objector

NOTE: Here, I'm going to just venture a guess as to identity. THIS IS ONLY A GUESS AND COULD BE WRONG. CS3's gender is specified as male through the use of a "he said" in the article. I'm guessing (just guessing!) this is Paul Forgy, based on circumstantial evidence. Paul apparently quit in disgust at Sandi's treatment of James and Alyssa. He didn't plan to quit that day- he just reached a breaking point with the abusive behavior. So he seems like to have worked in the toxic waste dump that is Santa Monica. He also talks about the technical challenge of building spaceships as game levels (BEER!), which a 3d Modeler like Paul Forgy would likely have a role in. Additionally, CS3's empathy for the delusional, money wasting fans is actually kind of touching- and is consistent with the sort of empathetic personality that would quit in protest of the abuse of decent people by a toxic leader.

Anyway, that's my theory.

quote:

”I realized it was affecting my health, my home life. I needed to get out. So I left. I had no job lined up. I just had to get out. I looked at my situation, I had enough in savings, so I left,” CS3 told me. ”I couldn't take it. It was by far the most toxic environment I have ever worked in. No one had clear direction about how to do their jobs well. No one was empowered to do their jobs well. Everything was second guessed, and the default reaction to everything was blame and yelling and emails with all capital letters and curse words.”

”Sandi is very jealous. She has to be the queen bee at the company. Whenever I was around her, I felt like I was in the presence of a cobra who, at that moment, might not have been inclined to strike but was completely willing to. You don't get on her bad side,” CS3 added. ”There were two things you were told, when you were hired. One, you don't talk about [Roberts and Gardiner] being married, to anyone. Ever. And two, you don't make Sandi mad.”

CS3 stated that it wasn't uncommon practice to round up four or five people to review an email intended for Roberts, to make sure there was nothing potentially upsetting in the wording. ”His immediate response to everything was to insult people, and accuse everyone of being idiots,” he said. ”It was like the Eye of Sauron. You never wanted to say anything in an email or a meeting that would bring the Eye of Sauron on you. He couldn't control his temper, and had no problem making a public scene of it.”

”Personally, I felt like the company was understaffed for what they were trying to do,” CS3 stated. "Building these spaceships - every ship is equivalent of a game level. They're supposed to be something where you can examine the entire outside, and then go inside and walk around the entire inside. And that's a huge amount of work. And they had just a handful of people working on this.”

”He's letting go people (sic) necessary to complete the game, but then wants to hire a professional linguist to create three brand new alien languages. He's making this entire project impossible," CS3 added.

”A lot of people would be like "Where's the game? When is this going to turn into a game?” CS3 added. ”It was all about making pretty spaceships and brochures and commercials and hiring big name Hollywood actors to do voice-overs for the commercials. We were never working on a game.”

There was a grim and near-universal feeling of guilt that almost all of the people who spoke out shared. ”You have to ask 'at what point are you taking advantage of someone?' There's a certain responsibility,” CS3 said in regards to the backers who have contributed large sums of money. ”Like, I felt like we should have gone to their homes and made sure their kids were eating and dressed. It starts to feel like a gambling addiction after a certain point. It was hard not to feel guilty.”

”I’m guessing something will come out,” CS3 said. "What format or who will publish it, I don't know. I think it's unlikely that CIG will put something out. They will be bought, or some angel investor will come in. I just really don't see them coming out with anything as they are. They need to be bailed out.”

CS4 - Code Name: Pearlclutcher

quote:

”She would write emails with so much profanity. She would call people stupid, retard, human being. Accuse men of not having balls. And she was incredibly hostile to other female employees,” CS4 stated. "Sandi is very jealous. She has to be the queen bee at the company. Whenever I was around her, I felt like I was in the presence of a cobra who, at that moment, might not have been inclined to strike but was completely willing to. You don't get on her bad side.”

”Games are not a professional environment by default, by their nature,” CS4 said. "That's one of the great things about working on a game. But there are certain levels of unprofessionalism that you don't go beyond. Chris and Sandi made it part of their job to go beyond those levels.”

“We were always building towards the next event,” CS4 stated. "It wasn't about making a game. it was about a flashy demo for Gamescom, or PAX, or the next commercial. It never felt like they were trying to make a game, as much as digital spaceships to sell.”

CS5 - Code Name: Fatalystique

quote:

CS5 stated that Gardiner would be out of the country on vacation or auditioning for movie or television roles, allegedly paid for with company money, but would post images of the office - taken by another employee - to make it appear as though she was at work. Multiple sources confided that several videos were filmed using company resources and employees, both in Cloud Imperium Games' offices and in the couple's home.

Other sources expressed concern over what they call "irresponsible spending." Complete portions of the game have been stripped down and entirely redone, utilizing extra time and resources, and often with minimal or no reward. The company also allegedly hired "big-name Hollywood actors" to do voice-overs for commercials. ”This isn't going to make the game better. This is throwing away money because, deep down, Chris Roberts wants to make movies,” CS5 stated. "He failed in Hollywood, but he never made peace with that.”

”There won't be a game. It's not going to happen. But then again, I am a pessimist,” CS5 chimed in. "The entire production process is circular. You spend six months proving that what you said wouldn't work won't work. There is no progress happening.”

CS6 - Code Name: Chop Suey

quote:

”The firings are both saving and costing money,” CS6 said. "The money is running out and they're cutting wherever they can - but they're cutting people, not frills. Chris Roberts wants a certain game - practically a movie - and doesn't want to compromise on anything but staff.”

CS7 - Code Name: Hosehead

quote:

CS7 indicated that Cloud Imperium Games Montreal entered into a joint venture partnership with Turbulent to continue to develop and sell the crowdfunding platform that was built for Star Citizen to other companies - and that backer money was being used for this project. HEAP C3MS is described as "the first platform to combine content, community, and commerce within one integrated platform," and was used for the design of the RSI website.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 3, 2015

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

AP posted:

The thing about bitter ex staff making a story up is that, sure what you say is possible, especially with how easily people can communicate online nowadays, but they'd have to be really really pissed off to go through with it.

The only type of thing that I can see pissing a group of people off enough to make up some stories that your old boss and his wife are breaking the law and were a complete nightmare to work for would be if your old boss and his wife were a complete nightmare to work for. If they were potentially breaking the law too, that would just increase the chances you went public because in part you felt it was the right thing to do in addition to the whole revenge motivation.

Personally, I think it's all pretty much true because if we ignore the escapist for a moment, it being true also helps explain why Derek Smart didn't really need much time to get warmed up but went nuclear with his first blogpost, which was way before a lot of the layoffs.

I'd agree if not for other circumstantial evidence. If Chris really did run such a toxic environment, why would all these people who have worked with him before agree to come work with him again after leaving already established careers? If the environment is so toxic, why are people still working there for reported below average industry wages? When there are names attached to the comments, why don't any former employees, whether fired or quit, corroborate the story? Why was it not item #1 in the artist's complaints about why he left, or at least mentioned?

I fully believe there is a micromanaged perma-crunch culture at CIG. The crazier stuff seems much less credible.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Jethro_E7 posted:

see the game "made" on the bones of crushed employees

A lot of people died in the bible, but you don't hold it against God personally right? Same principle here.

Croberts will deliver us from evil, with Him as our shepard we shall not want.

not a cult

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

I'm sure the people working there for below average industry wages are doing so because they value the life experience. Likely they're all trust funders who don't feel that a job that pays better would provide a superior life experience and therefor turn up their noses at the hundreds of job opportunities that assault the average laborer on the daily.

That or they're just trying to pay the bills. Which is pretty hard for me to understand as I've been holding my breath for the past seven minutes and I'm basically as intelligent as pretty smart fish right now.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
You could have spent that 1000 on a canoeing trip in Puerto Rico but instead you spent it on bullshit

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

You are a stupid oval office and I think I hate you

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Anybody remember that vaporware mmo with Baby Fetus launchers?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Octopode posted:

I'd agree if not for other circumstantial evidence. If Chris really did run such a toxic environment, why would all these people who have worked with him before agree to come work with him again after leaving already established careers? If the environment is so toxic, why are people still working there for reported below average industry wages? When there are names attached to the comments, why don't any former employees, whether fired or quit, corroborate the story? Why was it not item #1 in the artist's complaints about why he left, or at least mentioned?

I fully believe there is a micromanaged perma-crunch culture at CIG. The crazier stuff seems much less credible.

Maybe they are stupid and/or bad at their job. Hence no game.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

corn in the bible posted:

You could have spent that 1000 on a canoeing trip in Puerto Rico but instead you spent it on bullshit

Or he could have bought 1 bitcoin when it still was going up and sell it today for one fifth of the price.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

blablablabla posted:

Star Citizen? I've heard some good things about it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Octopode posted:

:allears:

like, there are really really obvious answers to all of them, and I'm so happy that there's still one person in this thread not thinking straight enough to see them

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

blablablabla posted:

you mean lowtax's mmorpg right

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

AP posted:

CIG are clearly morally bankrupt. At some point someone is going to be held accountable for the fact that they have taken 25 grand+ off a clearly unstable individual, going so far as to parade him around and have him buy the team pizza? That's some Victorian levels of abuse towards the mentally ill.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

shrach posted:

CIG are clearly morally bankrupt. At some point someone is going to be held accountable for the fact that they have taken 25 grand+ off a clearly unstable individual, going so far as to parade him around and have him buy the team pizza? That's some Victorian levels of abuse towards the mentally ill.

At the same time you have to appreciate the mentally ill buying pizza for the morbidly obese.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

Are those unshaven mikes or...

as long as they are male mics it's no problem

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I hope SC never comes out and I really REALLY hope dumbasses will continue to grasp at the dream and throw money at it to the very end (even past the end, like if the company goes defunct but for some reason some pledge button somewhere still works). You just know there are people out there that, when they hear the news, they will think if they all just spend thousands more in pledges they can keep CIG alive and somehow make them no longer defunct!

I dunno why and I know I have said it a lot before but the fact that they have shown absolutely nothing in terms of how they are actually making space in this space game really makes me laugh considering how many people are so invested. Hey guys we're making an age of sail pirate game, here is a bunch of sailboats you can buy, but whoops we haven't ever shown you the ocean or any islands.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 3, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I mean, if Hitler was so bad, why couldn't all Jews just leave Germany? Clearly, we can't accuse a person based on nothing more substantial than a bunch of inconsequential reports. Furthermore, I don't think it's even possible to seal off a shower room so well you could gas people inside. Come on guys, think for yourselves.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

Octopode posted:

Look, it either happened or it didn't. People get carried away with trying to compromise, or say that it was "probably in the middle". It's rubbish. It either happened or it didn't. If you think something specific didn't happen, say it. What didn't happen? What did? You can't just accept some of the tamer stuff and dismiss everything more damning because it is too "out there". If you think something was made up, you need to argue motive. That's hard to find, it is not like they are getting anything out of this, unless you vlaim revenge for firing, but that doesn't add up given the consensus and current employees that contributed.

People find it hard to get other jobs sometimes, they made a commitment to going there. Leaving also feels like a humiliation for some, or they don't have the experience to deal with it. 9 did corroborate - which in itself is suprising. The place where I used to work, you were threatened. If you go ahead with this, we will say that you sexually harassed another staff members, we have people lined up ready to say that" and "if you do that, we will say xyz and your career will be over". People will go back over your history find the most minor issues and blow them up into major character failings and incompetence that will sink you. People have future employment to consider.

WM confirmed to me that he won't comment on what happened when he was there. Bit of a shame. I think he has a lot of credibility, but doesn't want to get into a meat sandwich with his community he has there, plus he is a friend of Chris. Understandable.

Jethro_E7 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 3, 2015

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dusty Lens posted:

I'm sure the people working there for below average industry wages are doing so because they value the life experience. Likely they're all trust funders who don't feel that a job that pays better would provide a superior life experience and therefor turn up their noses at the hundreds of job opportunities that assault the average laborer on the daily.

That or they're just trying to pay the bills. Which is pretty hard for me to understand as I've been holding my breath for the past seven minutes and I'm basically as intelligent as pretty smart fish right now.

The gaming industry runs on young guys who really really want to work making video games because they're gamers and it sounds cool. And heck, it is kinda cool to make video games.

They're not trust funders (geez how many trust fund kids do you think there are?), they're mostly just young single men who take a job that pays less than they could get with their education and skills. Because it's their passion and because they're not thinking that hard about the long term, they're ok living cheaply and not building any savings.

There are some really lovely practices, like crunch and regular layoffs after games ship, but there's also working with people who share your interests and also have a passion for the field. The real problem is that the industry as a whole is never forced to correct the bad things because the supply of new people is pretty endless. So AAA just grinds them up and moves on.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Jethro_E7 posted:

Look, it either happened or it didn't. People get carried away with trying to compromise, or say that it was "probably in the middle". It's rubbish. It either happened or it didn't. If you think something specific didn't happen, say it. What didn't happen? What did? You can't just accept some of the tamer stuff and dismiss everything more damning because it is too "out there". If you think something was made up, you need to argue motive. That's hard to find, it is not like they are getting anything out of this, unless you vlaim revenge for firing, but that doesn't add up given the consensus and current employees that contributed.

WM confirmed to me that he won't comment on what happened when he was there. Bit of a shame. I think he has a lot of credibility, but doesn't want to get into a meat sandwich with his community he has there, plus he is a friend of Chris. Understandable.

The fact that he won't comment is itself somewhat of a validation. If it was all patently untrue he risks nothing in saying that/defending his friend. I can understand not wanting to get involved in the drama but even a short passing comment on it seems reasonable if there wasn't more to the story.

Also I worked on making a little game in UE4 for a while and lemme say that making video games loving sucks and there are so many more things I'd rather be doing.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 3, 2015

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Justin Tyme posted:

I dunno why and I know I have said it a lot before but the fact that they have shown absolutely nothing in terms of how they are actually making space in this space game really makes me laugh considering how many people are so invested. Hey guys we're making an age of sail pirate game, here is a bunch of sailboats you can buy, but whoops we haven't ever shown you the ocean or any islands.

on the note of age of sail pirate games, I'm getting pretty excited about Naval Action. Its alpha is actually looking pretty decent from everything I've heard, though it's gotten kinda quiet since they're not letting people in for money.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

The fact that he won't comment is itself somewhat of a validation. If it was all patently untrue he risks nothing in saying that/defending his friend. I can understand not wanting to get involved in the drama but even a short passing comment on it seems reasonable if there wasn't more to the story.

It was just "I have no comment on what is going on at CIG - I wish them luck.". I wouldn't have commented on it at all, but I guess I can comment on no comment without breaking confidence.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Adventure Pigeon posted:

on the note of age of sail pirate games, I'm getting pretty excited about Naval Action. Its alpha is actually looking pretty decent from everything I've heard, though it's gotten kinda quiet since they're not letting people in for money.

That game looked cool, is it just going to be War Thunder with sailboats or will there be actual organization/economic stuff to it?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

nopantsjack posted:

Is that Croberts calling E:D bullshit?

Yeah is that some kind of shop or just out of context or what?

If not, man, what a dick.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Justin Tyme posted:

That game looked cool, is it just going to be War Thunder with sailboats or will there be actual organization/economic stuff to it?

They released a massive open world Caribbean. You can do crafting, trading, pirating, etc.

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

Someone brought up a point a few pages back that was mostly glossed over but very important, especially for all the people wondering about SC's money.

In the BattleTech kickstarter they are asking for $1M worth of funding just to add a single-player campaign to an already internally paid for PC-port of a boardgame. The game ruleset will more than likely be just a modern version of a game that is literally decades old, so most design and balance is done, or at least enough to provide a foundation. Yet, they still know it takes $1M and ~1.5 years (projected release of May 2017) to simply add a campaign. Why? Because their studio has made games in the past few years and knows how expensive modern game development is. They won't even have voice acting until $1.35M and multiplayer until $2.5M.

Compare and contrast this to Chris Roberts, whose most recent game, Freelancer, was released 9 years prior to when he launched his kickstarter. Also keep in mind that he had to be forced out of his position as studio lead in 2000 because the project was overbudget and overdue, so the replacement leads completed the game. Roberts' most recent management experience of a game was 12 years prior to the SC kickstarter.

Then, he asked for $500K to create a game that had:
-Single Player Campaign – Offline or Online (Drop in / Drop out co-op play)
-Persistent Universe
-Mod-able multiplayer
-10X the detail of current AAA games
-Fully dynamic economy driven by player actions

Roberts is a person who not only has a record of being unable to manage development funds, but also proves that he has no idea what modern game development entails. Of all the things the Escapist article touched upon, the most important point with relevance to the sustainability of the project is the $8M figure. (Note: I am not saying that the points about a toxic work environment and business ethics are unimportant, just that they have less bearing on the project's life than the finances)

In his crazy rant he brings up in-depth counterpoints to the article, although he only gets to that after the ad-hominem attacks. When it comes to debunk the talk about the project's finances his main thrust is:

"We always keep a healthy cash reserve and operate our business prudently based on the incoming revenue."

That is it, he then drops the subject with no elaboration. This was his chance to go into detail with regards to their financial situation and assuage the fears of any doubters or disbelievers about what matters the most. I cannot understand how anyone can have any faith in this "savior of PC gaming" with his past record of mismanagement in light of the rumors of current mismanagement.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Jethro_E7 posted:

It was just "I have no comment on what is going on at CIG - I wish them luck.". I wouldn't have commented on it at all, but I guess I can comment on no comment without breaking confidence.

I can just picture him saying that shaking his head chuckling, thanking gently caress that he isn't involved and has his own game that is leagues farther along.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

Maybe he's never been this crazy, individually powerful and well funded before, maybe Digital Anvil had some kind of layer to protect people or decent producers. Origin staff were Origin staff he just shared them when needed, maybe 12 years is a long time to forget what someone was really like. There's something in California about not commenting about an employer, plus commenting only does your career harm.

People have commented before and at the time we all thought they were crazy doing so, just for the damage it would do to them individually.

AP fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

blablablabla posted:

A company is at steak!

• Locked thread