Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Raffles posted:

I hope we just cancel the World Cup at this point
Honestly the rest of it doesn't matter, it won't get better than this. Just have the captains of whoever qualifies draw lots out of a hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Australia changed their rules so they could pick Gitau. While Armitage and Abendanon sit in France watching the game with a nice glass of wine because the RFU are idiots. Makes you think

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Jonny looks loving gutted :(

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
is prince harry ok? or does he just pop on a welsh jersey now?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Tyma posted:

Live odds for the 9 teams that still remain :

New Zealand - 11/10
Australia - 7/2
South Africa - 6/1
Ireland - 7/1
France - 9/1
Wales - 16/1
Argentina - 33/1
Scotland - 125/1
Japan - 400/1

Wales feel too long at 16s, Ireland too short at 7s and Australia at 7/2. But the general order still feels right

DON RAPER
Jan 1, 2011

Let me ask you something
what do women want?
George Ford Man of the Tournament

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Where's the Mike Brown interview that the world is clamouring for? :{

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Is there a firesale of tickets on Ebay.co.uk right now?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

HappyCamperGL posted:

Australia changed their rules so they could pick Gitau. While Armitage and Abendanon sit in France watching the game with a nice glass of wine because the RFU are idiots. Makes you think

Aaarghhhhh. I am rage.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
What a great day. That's all really.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

What a great game by the Wallabies, they finally look like they have a clue.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Wales feel too long at 16s, Ireland too short at 7s and Australia at 7/2. But the general order still feels right

16 is the number of players we have left.
I just don't want Ireland to win it.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

HappyCamperGL posted:

Lol nobody wanted Abendanon.

Aussies were good today, England showed a number of flaws we already knew they had, so it goes

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

DickEmery posted:

But why, we're sound :(

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

DickEmery posted:

Ireland won't win it. We'll probably end up as runners up, face New Zealand in the quarters have a 6 point lead with a minute to go and blew it spectacularly like we did in 1991 against Australia

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?
Marler getting pulled up for his boring in at 49 minutes, subbed off at 51 minutes.

Hmm.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
As a welshman I would love Ireland to win this world cup. Wales are too broken to get to the SF.

Ireland best frenemies ever.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

But why, we're sound :(

Your media makes the English papers look disinterested, the unabashed cuntery over dropping O'Driscoll for third third Lions test and having to put up with your shitehouse referees.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

DickEmery posted:

Your media makes the English papers look disinterested, the unabashed cuntery over dropping O'Driscoll for third third Lions test and having to put up with your shitehouse referees.

But......they aren't England.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Unimpressed posted:

What a great game by the Wallabies, they finally look like they have a clue.

I dunno, they brought Phipps on.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

HappyCamperGL posted:

I'm a casual fan that only watches RWC and the occasional test match so can you quickly explain this drama to me? I'm assuming it has something to do with country unions being mad that their players are playing in a different country and somehow making them ineligible to be selected for the international team?

Woden
May 6, 2006

Xtanstic posted:

I'm a casual fan that only watches RWC and the occasional test match so can you quickly explain this drama to me? I'm assuming it has something to do with country unions being mad that their players are playing in a different country and somehow making them ineligible to be selected for the international team?

Australia didn't want all their top players moving to France for a few years before retirement so banned them from playing for Australia, world cup is on so someone said gently caress the rules bring back Gitau and here we are. No idea on the French side of things.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Exactly. England won't select players that don't play in England. Australia used not to, but bent the rules, England have two of the best players in the world playing in France but stuck to their rules.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Xtanstic posted:

Basically yes. England will only select players who play in the English league except in 'exceptional circumstances'.

Australia used to have a similar policy, but they relaxed this so overseas players who had played sixty times before they left could come back for the world cup.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Woden posted:

Australia didn't want all their top players moving to France for a few years before retirement so banned them from playing for Australia, world cup is on so someone said gently caress the rules bring back Gitau and here we are. No idea on the French side of things.

It's more a case of "We don't want all our best players to be playing in France and England, but there's no way in hell we're going to be able to stop them doing exactly that immediately after the world cup, while we're wallowing in being basically bankrupt. Also, hey, that Giteau guy is doing pretty good... why don't we just change the rule a little early".

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

DickEmery posted:

I mean, almost every one hates our national media as much as the English hate theirs - look at the comments of the (admittedly terrible) article you posted, they're all slating the knob who wrote it.

pls no bully Ireland

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
The wallabies look like they can win the World Cup at this point

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Scapegoat posted:

I dunno, they brought Phipps on.

Not even NZ have excellent depth at every position. At halfback for the ABs the gulf in quality between Smith and Perenara is pretty wide. I think Smith > Genia and Perenara > Phipps, but he's out 2nd halfback and it is what it is.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ColtMcAsskick posted:

The wallabies look like they can win the World Cup at this point

England is out of the World Cup at the knockout stage. This is automatically the most successful Australian Rugby World Cup ever.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Joe Launchbury was Man of the Match :confused:
You would have thought that after scoring 2 tries, 3 conversions and 4 penalties, Foley would have got it, but nope....

stavros880 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 3, 2015

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Lmao launchbury? No way that's ridiculous. I'm going to buy 2 copies of every newspaper tomorrow to bask in the bitterness and disappointment. It'll be great.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
England; come in fourth and gently caress off back home?

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Lmao launchbury? No way that's ridiculous. I'm going to buy 2 copies of every newspaper tomorrow to bask in the bitterness and disappointment. It'll be great.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

OMG.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
That's an avatar right there

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
A helpful media reaction roundup: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11523577

quote:

The English and Australian media, unsurprisingly, reacted at polar extremes to this morning's Rugby World Cup Pool of Death clash at Twickenham.

The English media led the country into a dark despair after their team was sent packing in its own tournament. Meanwhile, the Aussies were lapping up their 33-13 win.

Here's how they reacted:

Alex Lowe in the Times of London:

England were humiliated. Trounced by Australia at Twickenham, Stuart Lancaster's men were dumped out in the pool stages of their own World Cup. To put that in context: no England team had ever failed to make the quarter-finals, no host nation either.

Yes, this was the toughest World Cup pool there has been but after throwing away a winning position against Wales, England were outclassed by the Wallabies. They simply had no answer to David Pocock and Michael Hooper at the breakdown.

Steve James in the London Daily Telegraph:

It will be no consolation to England at all that Australia were quite brilliant in the first half. No side in the world, not even New Zealand, could have lived with them in the that period. Their play was just so slick and precise, helped by the quick ball provided by the outstanding back-rowers David Pocock and Michael Hooper. They were just magnificent.
And at fly half Bernard Foley had a magisterial evening, silencing a few doubters, including myself, who felt he might be a weak link in the Australian side.

But Australia also demonstrated that they have a scrum.

Hugh Godwin in The Independent:

England sank sadly and definitively out of their own World Cup an embarrassing 15 days into the tournament, with four weeks still to play. It was close for a period during the second half but mostly this was white jerseys chasing a wild Aussie goose.

Some or all of the England players may come to regard this as the great missed opportunity of their careers. They strained every muscle but were beaten by a more talented all-round Australian squad.

Oliver Holt in the London Daily Mail:

A sense of horror spread around Twickenham as England's doomsday scenario unfolded in front of a capacity crowd who had bought tickets hoping for triumph and glory not the ignominy of swift dispatch.

After so much preparation, so much expectation, so much talking, so much excitement, England are out almost before the World Cup has started. Only the worst hosts leave their own party this early.

Let's be honest: England's tournament has been an ungodly mess from start to finish. On Saturday night, they were pathetic. They went out with a whimper. If the defeat to Wales last week had been desperately close, this capitulation to Australia was men against boys. Against a top southern hemisphere side, England were exposed as naïve and callow.

Dan Elsom in the Sydney Daily Telegraph:

Australia were too strong for the home side, with brilliant individual performances from Bernard Foley and the backrow combination in Michael Hooper and David Pocock.
As England are now forced to accept the reality that they will play no further role in a World Cup on home soil, the Wallabies will battle it out with Wales next week to see who qualifies top of the notorious pool of death.

Chris Dutton in the Sydney Morning Herald:

The 82,000 strong crowd started filing out of the stadium as Bernard Foley's two tries, two conversions and four penalties silenced an entire country. England will be a nation in mourning as they come to grips with their World Cup disaster. Amazingly, it was the Australian scrum that won plenty of penalties and momentum in a stunning forward-pack effort.

Twickenham has been a graveyard for Wallabies packs in the past, but they erased any lingering nightmares to blow their hosts off the park at their own set-piece game. The resounding win - Australia led from start to finish - will send a warning shot to the rest of the world as the Wallabies announced themselves as genuine title contenders.
The double act of Michael Hooper and David Pocock was also superb, justifying the decision to pick two openside flankers in the starting side with some superb breakdown work.

ESPNscrum.com

England could only dream of the Wallabies' patience and ingenuity as on three occasions they launched a promising attack, only to lose direction before turning over the ball around the 22-metre line. While each England advance into enemy territory produced nothing, Australia were operating at their ruthless best as Genia and Foley conjured a special try when nothing seemed on.

Foley was regarded as one of the most ordinary fly-halves produced by Australia, but that view dissolved in the first half as he helped himself to two tries.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

stavros880 posted:

Joe Launchbury was Man of the Match :confused:
You would have thought that after scoring 2 tries, 3 conversions and 4 penalties, Foley would have got it, but nope....

Who the gently caress picks it? Prince loving Harry?

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
It's amazing how everything went downhill so quickly for England. I remember remarking earlier this year that England were only going to win the World Cup if the forwards became good enough to beat anyone on their own; it's difficult to believe that those forwards are the same ones here. Of course some of them aren't; Atwood was out for some bizzare reason, but even then the decline of the pack has been terrible.

The entire coaching staff is gone after this; they completely lost the plot in squad selection, team selection and tactics. Picking Burgess in the squad over Burrell, keeping Barritt in despite him being terribly limited, avoiding Slade, the list goes on.

What I really can't fathom is picking Farrell and then trying to play an expansive running game; it was obvious looking at the first half that England were looking to bring in the backs whenever they could, but with Farrell in there wasn't anything beyond set line moves.

Then to really drive things home Lancaster brings on Ford and shunts Farrell out to 12, the exact backlands that conceded 10 points in the final quarter of the Wales game.

I could go on a longer rant, but there isn't much point.

Robshaw is also probably out as captain, as it'll be difficult for anyone to take him seriously after this. Aside from Wood I can't think of anyone to replace him, and Wood will only work if someone else does his sums for him.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Plucky Brit posted:

The entire coaching staff is gone after this; they completely lost the plot in squad selection, team selection and tactics. Picking Burgess in the squad over Burrell, keeping Barritt in despite him being terribly limited, avoiding Slade, the list goes on.

What I really can't fathom is picking Farrell and then trying to play an expansive running game; it was obvious looking at the first half that England were looking to bring in the backs whenever they could, but with Farrell in there wasn't anything beyond set line moves.

Then to really drive things home Lancaster brings on Ford and shunts Farrell out to 12, the exact backlands that conceded 10 points in the final quarter of the Wales game.

I could go on a longer rant, but there isn't much point.

This is what I don't understand. England have finally found a dangerous back three, but seem to insist on picking centres that refuse to (or simply can't) give them the ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NZAmoeba posted:

Is there a firesale of tickets on Ebay.co.uk right now?

Rugby World Cup - England v Uruguay Tickets - Manchester
Etihad Stadium | Category D Blocks
£108.01
Classified Ad
Collection only: Free