Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

People seem to be surprised over how crazy the SC cult is.

Has everyone forgotten this?

http://youtu.be/blPpnnSOiwk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Gryphon0468 posted:

Oh look at that, an unfinished Alpha has bugs, who'd have thunk it?

What ships do you own?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I like how he reinforces his point about the Escapist's bad journalism by reiterating a lie he found on reddit as a fact.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Well, I had.

Thanks alot rear end in a top hat!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I too want to know more about the cat stuff

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If you listen right you can kind of hear words in the high pitched squeaking, but only sometimes. I'm not sure if it's imagined or not.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

tooterfish posted:

I like how he reinforces his point about the Escapist's bad journalism by reiterating a lie he found on reddit as a fact.
Well, I had.

Thanks alot rear end in a top hat!

You're welcome.

That article is complete poo poo. I will boil it down:

"I don't believe the quotes, and they look like a glassdoor review- so she should have cited the glassdoor review as the source"

This is retarded. The source wasn't glassdoor.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OhDearGodNo posted:

Diakatana is a little different. Romero just had no concept of time.

The game was still done in about 3-4 years. The problem was the promised date was something absurd like a few months.

I can't remember but at that time most of q3w was using Romero as an insult.

In addition to having the financial discipline of a rock star, promising the moon and the stars, and being indescribably arrogant, yeah. Too bad the result was a piece of crap. Oh well, at least we all learned an important lesson and then promptly forgot it.

While the lovely working conditions at CIG have been thoroughly attested, I'm still a bit incredulous about the claims they've managed to burn through all their money already. I mean, how do you do that really? How do you burn 80 million dollors or whatver on this, 50 million of in 10 months according to the worst claims. I can't wrap my head around it. How do you do that? Is it even possible? SWTOR was 100-200 million and iirc the most expensive MMO ever developed, but they had 5 years to rack up that bill.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

OhDearGodNo posted:

I hope Reddit remembers.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

sorla78 posted:

Sandi's racism was subject of a Glassdoor review that was reported on that in the last SC thread, together with the hairy vagina stuff. Jesus, most were saying that it is bullshit because the claims were so atrocious - now it sources from an media editor that writes it while stating to have sources that she isn't able to disclose. A media editor that reached out to a former employee of CIG via Twitter asking for some time.

Uhhhhhhh

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

OhDearGodNo posted:

dear god

wait did CR actually answer their questions or did some crazy furry splice their video on top of his answers?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zmej posted:

dear god

wait did CR actually answer their questions or did some crazy furry splice their video on top of his answers?

he did. They went to their offices and got an interview with him. Sources are uncertain if they were in fursuits during the interview

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Friendly Tumour posted:

In addition to having the financial discipline of a rock star, promising the moon and the stars, and being indescribably arrogant, yeah. Too bad the result was a piece of crap. Oh well, at least we all learned an important lesson and then promptly forgot it.

While the lovely working conditions at CIG have been thoroughly attested, I'm still a bit incredulous about the claims they've managed to burn through all their money already. I mean, how do you do that really? How do you burn 80 million dollors or whatver on this, 50 million of in 10 months according to the worst claims. I can't wrap my head around it. How do you do that? Is it even possible? SWTOR was 100-200 million and iirc the most expensive MMO ever developed, but they had 5 years to rack up that bill.

Depends on how big his movie aspirations were for SQ 42 - and how much he has to compensate for.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
Starfleet Dental still has the best video about Star Citizen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZHElERa0JA
...on a side note the video reminded me that the features available on Jan 2014 when they made this video are the same ones still only available lol.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

Because practically it would be smart to not put something like metal between the source of an EMP and what you want to disable. The whole concept of an "aimed" EMP is rather silly, so you would need a material that can stop the waves to pass through. Thus the whole front would really need to be plastic or something else.

Although I think I put more thought into this than the actual manager making this decision.

As a boring aside---a directional EMP is actually perfectly simple. A parabolic metal reflector with the EMP source at the focus can achieve this--all it needs to do is reflect microwaves.

I *think* claymore mines have metal backing plates for a similar reason---combined with their internal geometry, they make sure that it is deadly in mostly one direction by using the metal plate to reflect part of the explosion back towards the forward direction. You can do other somewhat unintuitive things with high explosives, like making directional breaching charges using det cord and water-filled bags---the relatively incompressible water will reflect part of the blast in the intended direction.

Of course, an EMP device that happens to look just like a claymore AP mine is dumb as hell.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Slanderer posted:

As a boring aside---a directional EMP is actually perfectly simple. A parabolic metal reflector with the EMP source at the focus can achieve this--all it needs to do is reflect microwaves.

I *think* claymore mines have metal backing plates for a similar reason---combined with their internal geometry, they make sure that it is deadly in mostly one direction by using the metal plate to reflect part of the explosion back towards the forward direction. You can do other somewhat unintuitive things with high explosives, like making directional breaching charges using det cord and water-filled bags---the relatively incompressible water will reflect part of the blast in the intended direction.

Of course, an EMP device that happens to look just like a claymore AP mine is dumb as hell.

It gets better, if you look at the SC EMP Claymore, it's convex instead of concave like a proper claymore. So they can't even get the shape right.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

OhDearGodNo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-AJ9d6A2Yk

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Friendly Tumour posted:

300 employees at around 50k/yr.
Leases for 3-5 studios
Overhead for the employees
IT equipment, including DS or OC lines
AWS costs
Travel
TNGS, ATV, trade shows
Software licenses

Honestly it isn't hard to think it. Most established companies have ongoing revenue. CIG has this, however they didn't grow with it. The company right now is very large and bloated, even with 90 million.

Here's how I like to explain it, compare these two situations.

A: dude spends years working on his business. Revenue rises each year, and that revenue is put back into the company for growth. This is done slowly and to match the revenue streams, for example a new employee is added when the projected growth will cover not just the demand but the overhead of the new employee including benefits and training.

As such, after 5 years the company is on a decent building with 300 employees. The size is dictated by the history and trends when it comes to the cash flow.

Now, situation B:

CIG goes from 10 people to 300 spread across multiple studios. They have no previous revenue stream. This is why they have said they sell ships for a line of credit.

They have no history of a positive revenue stream and nothing to show that it will continue.

They've used the lump sum to finance everything, however it is not a consistent amount to cover monthly costs.

Even now, 1-2 million in revenue does not cover the costs of running CIG. this isn't even in question.

What matters is how much of the "lump sum" has been spent- because unless the game goes gold and sells like GTAV, they will eventually run out of money.

I figure they are running a gamble, and when the money runs out the game will be mostly ready, and you will see the company go from 300 to about 30 almost overnight.

If the money runs out before that, then CIG is in a lot of trouble.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

OhDearGodNo posted:

I had always assumed this was an edit :psyduck:

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
This is movie cost related, but maybe it gives an indication for Chris and Sandi's salary level

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Zmej posted:

dear god

I asked Sandi on Facebook if he knew he would end up interviewing furries, and she said "No" and nothing more.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

OhDearGodNo posted:

Leases for 3-5 studios
IT equipment, including DS or OC lines
AWS costs
Travel
TNGS, ATV, trade shows
Software licenses

And let's not forget motion capture, geek friendly actors, and if the escapist article is to be believed, private real estate and cars. poo poo is not cheap.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
stop the fursecution plz

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thou shalt not suffer a furry to live.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Reddit is in full on spam post hugbox mode.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ne6tr/lost_chris_roberts_interview_resurfaced/

Mods are sticking up for the furries.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Friendly Tumour posted:

Romero only promised the moon and stars; Roberts is avoiding THAT mistake by offering the First Person Universe.

quote:

Well, at least $180k a year seems to be going into rental real estate. Coastal property that formerly belonged to John Barrymore doth not come cheap...

And oh, look at that. "Sandi Roberts" was hidden in plain sight all along!

Seriously though-- yeah, if true that they've spent that much thusfar, it's astounding. And you can't help but wonder, given the apparent moral and ethical bankruptcy of the Roberts family, how much got burnt on personal luxuries and indulgences and whether (gulp) there's money getting moved right from CIG coffers into private accounts.

Ortwin, Chris and Sandi are the power troika. They have no real Board of Directors, no truly independent CFO (all senior management serve at the pleasure of the royal family), no outside watchdog or oversight. The Backers' funds (and hopes and dreams) are ultimately only as safe as that troika is ethical, lawful, and fiscally prudent...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 4, 2015

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

G0RF posted:

Romero only promised the moon and stars; Roberts is avoiding THAT mistake by offering the First Person Universe.

Well, at least $180k a year seems to be going into rental real estate. Coastal property that formerly belonged to John Barrymore doth not come cheap...

And oh, look at that. "Sandi Roberts" was hidden in plain sight all along!

Seriously though-- yeah, if true that they've spent that much thusfar, it's astounding. And you can't help but wonder, given the apparent moral and ethical bankruptcy of the Roberts family, how much got burnt on personal luxuries and indulgences and whether (gulp) there's money getting moved right from CIG coffers into private accounts.

Ortwin, Chris and Sandi are the power troika. They have no real Board of Directors, no truly independent CFO (all senior management serve at the pleasure of the royal family), no outside watchdog or oversight. The Backers' funds (and hopes and dreams) are ultimately only as safe as that troika is ethical, lawful, and fiscally prudent...

But we got the pledge...

Nice View, I wouldn't mind living there

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 4, 2015

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

To cut costs, we will now create concept art using Microsoft Powerpoint.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Decided to check out the thread on a weekend, saw 20 pages of posts, and figured something new must have dropped- turns out it was Octopode taking all comers. That "Rich people live better lives" quip? Man, I'm a little disappointed- even if we disagree I didn't think you'd go into Seraph territory.

The only thing that has in any way affected my opinion in the last couple days was the fired guy going to bat for CIG. The fact that there are some employees out there willing to make positive statements about the company is a sign that we're probably not getting the full story from the Escapist- I hope they interview him and post some details.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
So, do I need like a paypal account to get a refund. I don't use paypal, it's as lovely as star citizen.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Ravane posted:

So, do I need like a paypal account to get a refund. I don't use paypal, it's as lovely as star citizen.

They'll refund through your credit card/Stripe.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

OhDearGodNo posted:

Leases for 3-5 studios
IT equipment...

What we were told in college was to estimate double an employee's salary for benefits, rent and power for the space they occupy, and an amortized price for their workspaces. So all of these should be running about 30 million a year put together.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

OhDearGodNo posted:

What matters is how much of the "lump sum" has been spent- because unless the game goes gold and sells like GTAV, they will eventually run out of money.

GTAV sold like 2 million on PC in the first 30 days, by the time Star Citizen comes out* they might already have 2 million citizens, they'll have to do a lot better than GTAV.

*Never

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Gryphon0468 posted:

Oh look at that, an unfinished Alpha has bugs, who'd have thunk it?

I know right! these guys have no idea how game development works

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

sorla78 posted:

But we got the pledge..

Nice View, I wouldn't mind living in Pacific Palisandes

Yeah-- great place to shoot vanity film projects too-- although you'd probably have to pay the resident a hefty location fee to rent THAT kind of view.

(Seriously wouldn't be surprised if they're doing that... But maybe not- maybe it's all just a big misunderstanding?)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

OhDearGodNo posted:

I figure they are running a gamble, and when the money runs out the game will be mostly ready, and you will see the company go from 300 to about 30 almost overnight.

Obviously it does not happen at this level very often, but this is not an uncommon occurrence in game development. Studios staff up for development and then immediately staff down after the product is released all the time. Its one of the reasons why turnover is so goddamn high in the field, and why people tend to work at so many different places early in their careers.

It's extremely common in MMOs and Service-style games, where compants shift from development to support for an existing title, like in this case.

That is not to say that CIG is run well, because I'm sure its run like abject garbage and this game is going to be shitcakes.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure posting their home address is a good idea. Just saying.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

They mentioned early on a goal for a new race called the K'Rathi. Have they shown any concept art for this race or is this just another thing we will never see?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They mentioned early on a goal for a new race called the K'Rathi. Have they shown any concept art for this race or is this just another thing we will never see?

Probably a Larry Niven reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AP posted:

I'm not sure posting their home address is a good idea. Just saying.
Link removed. Though I was surprised how easy it was to find. No sleuthing whatsoever...

• Locked thread