Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

or is this just another thing we will never see?

Well, seeing as this game is never going to come out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

G0RF posted:

Link removed. Though I was surprised how easy it was to find. No sleuthing whatsoever...

Yes, cyberstalking is easy + bad!!!

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
My refund is moving forward by the looks of it, they asked me if it was in regards to the escapist article. I told them no, it was CR's response to the escapist article. :colbert:

Probably gonna buy the Elite: Dangerous expansion with the refund money when it gets here. :toot:

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Sardonik posted:

My refund is moving forward by the looks of it, they asked me if it was in regards to the escapist article. I told them no, it was CR's response to the escapist article. :colbert:

Probably gonna buy the Elite: Dangerous expansion with the refund money when it gets here. :toot:

Did you get that response today?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Innerguard posted:

Did you get that response today?
Yep, and I put my request in on Thursday.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Sardonik posted:

they just asked you about the escapist article out of the blue? lmao.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Watching this meltdown shitshow will probably be my best birthday present.

:munch:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Paul Zuvella posted:

Obviously it does not happen at this level very often, but this is not an uncommon occurrence in game development. Studios staff up for development and then immediately staff down after the product is released all the time. Its one of the reasons why turnover is so goddamn high in the field, and why people tend to work at so many different places early in their careers.

It's extremely common in MMOs and Service-style games, where compants shift from development to support for an existing title, like in this case.

That is not to say that CIG is run well, because I'm sure its run like abject garbage and this game is going to be shitcakes.

I should have elaborated, but true- it's to be expected and the nature of the business.

The problem is that they need to be at that moment before they run out of cash, and it's likely what they are hoping happens.

With responsible management you can time this just right. However, if they really have blown the money like a redneck lottery winner, the outcome will come before the game is close to the "support" stage.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Sardonik posted:

Yep, and I put my request in on Thursday.

It's funny, I put my request in a week ago with no response.

I have a feeling a chargeback is the only recourse.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
The fact that they are asking about the escapist article to those who ask for refunds makes me think that CIG does plan on filing a lawsuit.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Chris Roberts: I'm not a game developer. There's no "Roberts Space Industries" We don't have a game.
Dick Wulf: [looking at PC screen] But there it is...
Chris Roberts: The game is just jpgs.
Dick Wulf: But, I see many ships.
Chris Roberts: You've seen concepts that look like ships. Our flight model is... is Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing. And our cargo system is... it's Bejeweled. It's an illusion. It's all fake. Just like me.
Dick Wulf:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Decrepus posted:

Chris Roberts: I'm not a game developer. There's no "Roberts Space Industries" We don't have a game.
Chris Roberts: You've seen concepts that look like ships. Our flight model is... is Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing. And our cargo system is... it's Bejeweled. It's an illusion. It's all fake. Just like me.
Dick Wulf:

owns.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Decrepus posted:

Dick Wulf:

hahaha

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Decrepus posted:

Dick Wulf:

now here's an effort post I can get behind

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Decrepus posted:

Dick Wulf:

:laffo:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Decrepus posted:

Dick Wulf:

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Decrepus posted:

Dick Wulf:

ahahah this is great

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
thread peaked

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Decrepus posted:

Dick Wulf:

Adding to the quote parade :golfclap:

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

https://youtu.be/qMhykRKug-4

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Decrepus posted:

Dick Wulf:

Never give up
Never surrender (your pledge)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I love short and snappy vids like this

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

The fact that they are asking about the escapist article to those who ask for refunds makes me think that CIG does plan on filing a lawsuit.

I don't know about that.
If they do try to take either DS or the Escapist to court over libel or defamation, CIG may have to prove that they had a clean reputation prior to this event.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Speaking of unstable planetside/E:D I've been playing Angels Fall First.

Some rough edges and a lot of systems that aren't fantastically explained at this point, but having fun so far. The visual design is pretty great and the gameplay feels a lot like planetside 1 mashed up with Battlefront 1/2 in a lot of ways

A group of us played AFF earlier in the week and had fun. It has a lot of potential, but has had a rough launch. They are going down the checklist of indie launch mistakes and making sure they hit each one. Once they get around to releasing dedicated servers we'll most likely toss one up.

Also, the knife is hilariously overpowered right now. It will get fixed in the next patch, but right now you can just hold RMB to charge it up and OHK anyone. Just sprint right through everything and shank the first guy you see. Pretty soon the other team will start doing it too and, since the servers are so laggy right now with way too many bots, it turns into the stupidest knife fight ever. I got 50% of the cap on the last objective just running in circles knifing dudes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Decrepus posted:

Dick Wulf:

And what you don't realize is... my ship has Derek Smart.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

They might be planning it, but that doesn't really mean much. I really can't think of any legal standing they would have in court to pursue that.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

BluestreakBTHR posted:

I don't know about that.
If they do try to take either DS or the Escapist to court over libel or defamation, CIG may have to prove that they had a clean reputation prior to this event.

CIG and Christ Roberts seem stupid enough to rush into a suing some one and have it horribly backfire with a bunch of people being forced to testify, public court documents, finical review, etc.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

They might be planning it, but that doesn't really mean much. I really can't think of any legal standing they would have in court to pursue that.

agreed. Based on the level of self-awareness on display though, I wouldn't be surprised if they attempted it anyway.

e:fb.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

What have I missed that there are now refunds? Has the Christ Roberts bubble burst? Is the apocalypse nigh?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

A Neurotic Jew posted:

They’re probably thinking about it without having talked to a lawyer yet. And yet I really hope they do, because discovery in that trial would be the everest of laugh peaks for this thread.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

agreed. Based on the level of self-awareness on display though, I wouldn't be surprised if they attempted it anyway.

e:fb.

Your honor, they hurt our feewings and we demand compensation for wahmbulance expenses.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Gonkish posted:

What have I missed that there are now refunds? Has the Christ Roberts bubble burst? Is the apocalypse nigh?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/14715-CIG-Employees-Talk-Star-Citizen-and-the-State-of-the-Company

+ a bunch of other poo poo I'm too lazy to explain.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Gonkish posted:

I had never thought the apocalypse would be so beautiful.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Decrepus posted:

Dick Wulf:

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
One thing I was wondering about is server costs, they dont just have to survive get the game out the door, they have to provide support for the persistent online world.

There are about 1m people who have pledged according to the website, if you assume 50-150k online at any one time, anyone have an estimate of what that would cost to run the servers for that many people?

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Apocadall posted:

I had never thought the apocalypse would be so beautiful.

They should have sent a poet.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

You know what? I was first hoping CR goes down for buying a house and passing it off as a "development studio". Now, want this guy to get taken down at a checkstop like John DeLorian (his backseat filled with cocaine bricks).

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Seriously, an hour and a half?!? WTF could be worth talking about for that long?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Goredema posted:

Seriously, an hour and a half?!? WTF could be worth talking about for that long?

In the 3 minutes I watched he got side-tracked looking at the bit-rate of his feed for a while and then repeated the title of the Escapist article like 5 times in a row before being focused enough to actually say anything. It was pretty insufferable but that's just imo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

OhDearGodNo posted:

People seem to be surprised over how crazy the SC cult is.

Has everyone forgotten this?

http://youtu.be/blPpnnSOiwk

You should be shot for reposting that.
WARNING : If you have an auditory disability, this Video can cause extreme distress.

• Locked thread