Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

sebmojo posted:

Rugby World Cup - England v Uruguay Tickets - Manchester
Etihad Stadium | Category D Blocks
£108.01
Classified Ad
Collection only: Free

Seems like a lot for a game with, as Miles Harrison puts it, "no significance."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

stavros880 posted:

This is what I don't understand. England have finally found a dangerous back three, but seem to insist on picking centres that refuse to (or simply can't) give them the ball.

England do not trust expansive rugby. Seriously, their game for almost the last two decades is basically taking the worst elements of skop en jag and marring them together with a distrust of the breakdown.

They're also a reactionary team - you can pretty much go back to England's squad for the tournament and see that the centre pairings were picked based upon the fact they would be facing (or expected to face) an "oversized" Welsh centre and wing.

butros posted:

Or a fair price to watch the funeral of English Rugby :getin:

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

The Clit Avoider posted:

Or a fair price to watch the funeral of English Rugby :getin:

That's already happened, this will be more of a wake.

"Remember those guys? Boy they were poo poo"

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
The Red Rose of Lancaster...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Best day ever.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

fallingdownjoe posted:

Best day ever.

Nah, that'll be when Uruguay grind the elbow in and win. :allears:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I'm actually really looking forward to the Wales game.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

butros posted:

Yeah Cat D tickets for games in Wales were like £50. Were £35 the last time round.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So, I went out after Scotland to eat pizza and get drunk with friends. Apparently I missed some minor match of England being bads?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Best thing to wake up and see. Now to hope Japan can get through!

slothrop fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 4, 2015

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

slothrop posted:

Best thing to wake up and see. Now to hope Japan can get through!

I can get behind that.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

goatface posted:

So, I went out after Scotland to eat pizza and get drunk with friends. Apparently I missed some minor match of England being bads?

Australia also played really well.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Did Quade set foot on the field?

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

goatface posted:

Did Quade set foot on the field?

No, I said Australia played well.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Scapegoat posted:

No, I said Australia played well.

:drat:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Absolutely brutal.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

tarbrush posted:

Australia used not to, but bent the rules, England have two of the best players in the world playing in France but stuck to their rules.
The ARU didn't 'bend the rules', they changed their selection policy. The RFU could have done this too. Are you hinting that the ARU has somehow been unsporting by doing this? If so, it might be better to conclude that the RFU have their heads up their arses.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 4, 2015

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Mr Chips posted:

The ARU didn't 'bend the rules', they changed their selection policy. The RFU could have done this too. Are you hinting that the ARU has somehow been unsporting by doing this? If so, it might be better to conclude that the RFU have their heads up their arses.

lol

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Dude is completely right.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Goromaru tweeted this. It's a trophy given by the Samoan team to the player that they feel was the Man of the Match, which he's awfully proud of, and that the they showed the kind of integrity, humility and values that he aspires to as a rugby player.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Australia changed the policy for guys with sixty caps who have paid their dues, not for a guy with no caps who might fill a positional weakness.

Half this England twam turned down French contracts because they wanted to play for England and I wouldn't have blamed them for being furious if Armitage got picked after loving off. And Nick loving Abendanon is not better than our current back three. If he were an inside centre, maybe

England's coaches shat the bed this world cup but not because of Steffon Armitage

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Lest we forget, the beloved All Blacks would not in a million years pick a guy who hosed off to France. for the money

Woden
May 6, 2006

ColtMcAsskick posted:

The wallabies look like they can win the World Cup at this point

Idk, beating minnows like England doesn't really show if they're any good. Need to see how the Wales game goes to get a real idea. ;)

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Woden posted:

Idk, beating minnows like England doesn't really show if they're any good. Need to see how the Wales game goes to get a real idea. ;)

True this.

But I still remember Lancaster turning the worst England team I've seen into something watchable. He hosed this world cup but he probably helped us in the long run and I hope the RFU enjoys paying off the remaining five years on his contract when they sack him.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

bigfoot again posted:

Half this England twam turned down French contracts because they wanted to play for England and I wouldn't have blamed them for being furious if Armitage got picked after loving off. And Nick loving Abendanon is not better than our current back three. If he were an inside centre, maybe

England's coaches shat the bed this world cup but not because of Steffon Armitage

Seriously, if Armitage wants to play for England, he knows what he needs to do. The coaches have communicated loud and clear what he needs to do. Simply put, the fact that he hasn't moved back to England, or at least tried to get out of his contract should be interpreted as him not being interested in test rugby for England. Simple as that. If he wants to have his cake and eat it too, he can gently caress off.

So anyway, if I had to narrow down England's loss today, it comes down to the following (in no particular order)

1. Mike Brown had a shocker - seriously, he was poo poo. Aside from a nice tackle early on, he was poo poo and loving worthless. I saw he got a 6 in the Guardian ratings, but, like, what loving game were they watching?

2. Selections - the only rationale I can see for Burgess' ongoing selection as a midfielder is sunk cost fallacy. He's loving garbage. And why was Farrell starting? All he does is 2 things: stand too deep telegraphing that he's going to kick the ball down the field and something hilariously stupid. He didn't disappoint on either count.

3. Poor decision making - best summed up by Watson booting the ball away out on the full at like 20 or so minutes to go. You're 7 behind, you've got 20 minutes to score at least 8, what the CUNTING gently caress are you doing kicking the ball away?

4. No leadership on the pitch - Robshaw as captain looked like a man alone out there, with no leaders on the field to support him. When you look at the other teams, they all have on-field leaders. Note, plural. The 1999 Wallabies side had John Eales, David Wilson, George Gregan and Tim Horan. The 2003 England side had the likes of Martin Johnson, Neil Back, Richard Hill, Lawrence Dallaglio, Matt Dawson, Jonny Wilkinson, Will Greenwood and Jason Robinson. The 2007 Springboks team had John Smit, Juan Smith, Schalk Burger, Victor Matfield, Fourie du Preez and Percy Montgomery. The 2011 All Blacks team had Richie McCaw, Piri Weepu, Kieran Read, Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith, Brad Thorn, Jerome Kaino and Keven Mealamu. The point is, a winning team needs a leadership group on the pitch along with the captain. Who has Robshaw got to help him out there? It's easy to say "gently caress the captain," but stop and think about the circumstances he had to work within. This also ties into the previous point. Where was the backline leader saying "whoa, hey, let's not kick the ball away, you dumb gently caress."

5. Poor ball security - even taking into account the presence of Hoopcock, England kept knocking the ball on in or near the Aussie 22, killing their chances.

6. #ScrumStraightJoe - it loving worked.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 4, 2015

Woden
May 6, 2006

bigfoot again posted:

True this.

But I still remember Lancaster turning the worst England team I've seen into something watchable. He hosed this world cup but he probably helped us in the long run and I hope the RFU enjoys paying off the remaining five years on his contract when they sack him.

Australia went through a similar phase with Robbie Deans, if I were an English supporter I'd be wary of putting too much faith in Lancaster. Better to have a mediocre coach than someone terrible though.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

I've been looking for sad England gifs but it's giving me unlimited choice paralysis.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Have you seen anything good of Mike Brown?

Also, that Samoan trophy is a wonderful idea, and fair play to them. They didn't turn up yesterday but they came round the pitch afterwards and seemed lovely.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Woden posted:

Next up: find out which ways Wales will poo poo the bed and lose. An injury list longer than a military hospital in 1916? A tip tackle red card? Who knows!

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Seriously, if Armitage wants to play for England, he knows what he needs to do. The coaches have communicated loud and clear what he needs to do. Simply put, the fact that he hasn't moved back to England, or at least tried to get out of his contract should be interpreted as him not being interested in test rugby for England. Simple as that. If he wants to have his cake and eat it too, he can gently caress off.

So anyway, if I had to narrow down England's loss today, it comes down to the following (in no particular order)

1. Mike Brown had a shocker - seriously, he was poo poo. Aside from a nice tackle early on, he was poo poo and loving worthless. I saw he got a 6 in the Guardian ratings, but, like, what loving game were they watching?

2. Selections - the only rationale I can see for Burgess' ongoing selection as a midfielder is sunk cost fallacy. He's loving garbage. And why was Farrell starting? All he does is 2 things: stand too deep telegraphing that he's going to kick the ball down the field and something hilariously stupid. He didn't disappoint on either count.

3. Poor decision making - best summed up by Watson booting the ball away out on the full at like 20 or so minutes to go. You're 7 behind, you've got 20 minutes to score at least 8, what the CUNTING gently caress are you doing kicking the ball away?

4. No leadership on the pitch - Robshaw as captain looked like a man alone out there, with no leaders on the field to support him. When you look at the other teams, they all have on-field leaders. Note, plural. The 1999 Wallabies side had John Eales, David Wilson, George Gregan and Tim Horan. The 2003 England side had the likes of Martin Johnson, Neil Back, Richard Hill, Lawrence Dallaglio, Matt Dawson, Jonny Wilkinson, Will Greenwood and Jason Robinson. The 2007 Springboks team had John Smit, Juan Smith, Schalk Burger, Victor Matfield, Fourie du Preez and Percy Montgomery. The 2011 All Blacks team had Richie McCaw, Piri Weepu, Kieran Read, Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith, Brad Thorn, Jerome Kaino and Keven Mealamu. The point is, a winning team needs a leadership group on the pitch along with the captain. Who has Robshaw got to help him out there? It's easy to say "gently caress the captain," but stop and think about the circumstances he had to work within. This also ties into the previous point. Where was the backline leader saying "whoa, hey, let's not kick the ball away, you dumb gently caress."

5. Poor ball security - even taking into account the presence of Hoopcock, England kept knocking the ball on in or near the Aussie 22, killing their chances.

6. #ScrumStraightJoe - it loving worked.

Actually, England lost because Australia played very well. Perish the thought!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Is there any chance Robbie Deans will be the new England coach? How I miss the days of seeing him die a little more inside with each game :allears:

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Israel Folau is very good in the air. Catching the ball is one of those things I'd trust Folau to do on a bad day. Folau has proved himself to be able to catch the ball very well in three different sports. Among the rugby players whose role is catching the ball under pressure, I'd say Folau is one of the best.

Why in the name of God would you decide to send high balls up against Folau?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Yeah there's been a lot of chat about how bad England were when really Australia played some god drat sexy rugby. They don't have the brute force that someone like South Africa does in the forward pack but they do some absolutely magical offloading and keep the ball alive really well.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Australia were very impressive, certainly far ahead of anything NZ have put together so far this season.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
I'm watching the Sky sports inquest thing and it's loving hilarious.
Steffon Armitage, Dylan Hartley and "a good coach" would have made England world cup winners.

If this is the path they take then as a Welshman I would be delighted.

England lost to a decimated Wales and were shamed by Australia.
Put Halfpenny, Jonathan Davies, Scott Wiliams, Rhys Webb and Not Cuthbert in that Wales squad and it wouldn't have even been close last week.
If they keep ignoring this fact then the changes will be either piecemeal or knee-jerk and we'll be here again in 4 wonderful "rebuilding" years

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Citings for Hooper and Burgess anyone?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

DickEmery posted:

Citings for Hooper and Burgess anyone?

Calling for a citing on that looks like a welshman trying to find a route to victory against a superior side through any means necessary

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Is there any chance Robbie Deans will be the new England coach? How I miss the days of seeing him die a little more inside with each game :allears:

If English Rugby had any brains they'd take him, but they won't of course because he's not English. Deans wasn't nearly as bad a Wallabies coach as he was made out to be, I think he was maligned by the press here for being a Kiwi, but when you look back at his results, with the players he had and the selection policy he wasn't bad at all, certainly better than McKenzie who was politicking heavily for his job for the last two or three years of his tenure. I'd certainly pick him over Lancaster who showed no imagination and looked out of depth with his selections and with the way his team played. Do you think that under Deans England would have had this little leadership on the field? Apart from that Deans was a real gentleman, did a huge amount of work supporting grass roots Rugby in Australia and in my opinion, set the basis for the Aussie scrum improvements that culminated in last night's win. The whole Dingo Deans crap does Aussie Rugby fans no credit at all.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Byolante posted:

Calling for a citing on that looks like a welshman trying to find a route to victory against a superior side through any means necessary

Agreed, that's pretty weak poo poo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Byolante posted:

You could cite all15 from last night and we wouldn't win.
I hope Wales rest everyone and just have Nipper strolling between rucks cradling a picture of a sad Mike Brown.

As I said above, I just don't want Ireland to win it.