Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Thin Privilege posted:

I didn't realize there was actually a use for the speaker, I will develop it now

No, box all the way.

I think it's actually the speakers of your walkman that give the sound. The Idroid's speakers are just to notify you of changes to the game state audibly.

There's definitely tapes out there you can use your walkman speaker to help you out, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dewgy posted:

I just tranq them in the head from a distance. Like everyone else.

Pfft. I watch Ddog stalk and stun them.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Dewgy posted:

I just tranq them in the head from a distance. Like everyone else.

I pumped the first two FULL of tranqs. Nothing. They just flail around, and spaz run away.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

tribbledirigible posted:

When they give you a shotgun that you can lob at a flying enemy, have it track and continue firing at said enemy, and give you an achievement for having killed a number of enemies in this manner, then we can call them Vault Hunters.

I don't think I ever found one of those. :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arx Monolith posted:

I pumped the first two FULL of tranqs. Nothing. They just flail around, and spaz run away.

"Special" enemies like the Wandering MB guys or legendary animals seem to be harder to take down with tranq shots if they are aware of you.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Arx Monolith posted:

If you're using the pistol, they're aware of you, and you're getting body shots, yeah.

If you're not gonna use the Paz tape or the box, the tranq rifle is the way to go.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Thin Privilege posted:

I didn't realize there was actually a use for the speaker, I will develop it now

If you're hiding in a toilet and an enemy soldier comes to check, you can play the tape with the guy having diarrhea over the speakers and they will not check inside. :v:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Edmond Dantes posted:

If you're hiding in a toilet and an enemy soldier comes to check, you can play the tape with the guy having diarrhea over the speakers and they will not check inside. :v:

And to add on to this list, as probably stated before in the thread, you can play tapes of soldiers saying "Enemy eliminated!" (or whatever - I only know about tapes for Russian and Afrikaans, I believe) to fool them into calling off a search. I don't think I've successfully done so but I've seen reports of it previously.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You have to play it in the appropriate language, too. If you play the Afrikaans one in front of Russian soldiers all it will do is immediately clue them in on where you're hiding. :v:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Also this is insanely funny to play during a certain late game Jeep ride

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Also this is insanely funny to play during a certain late game Jeep ride

Does the game respond to this in any way?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Spaseman posted:

Does the game respond to this in any way?

The farts sync up to the dramatic pauses apparently

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Samfucius posted:

If you're using the pistol, they're aware of you, and you're getting body shots, yeah.

If you're not gonna use the Paz tape or the box, the tranq rifle is the way to go.

Again Ddog just walks right up and stuns them no problem. They don't even react.q

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Sleeveless posted:

Considering how now matter what Valve do they get poo poo for it (they get made fun of for taking too long to make Half-Life sequels but then the internet poo poo its pants with rage when L4D2 came out "only" a year after the original) I can't blame them for not really being interested in making sequels.

There's a middle ground between one year and one decade. Besides yearly sequels have regularly turned out to lead to such poo poo since that you can hardly act like people's concerns weren't based on something despite L4D2 being alright in the end.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In that particular case it was less about L4D2 being lovely (though there is a case to be made about L4D2 being not-that-great) and more about Valve immediately releasing a follow up one year later instead of supporting the original game in the same vein as TF2, which GabeN originally said they were going to do.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

John Murdoch posted:

In that particular case it was less about L4D2 being lovely (though there is a case to be made about L4D2 being not-that-great) and more about Valve immediately releasing a follow up one year later instead of supporting the original game in the same vein as TF2, which GabeN originally said they were going to do.

Yea they promised all sorts of poo poo, new campaigns, new weapons(a flamethrower was rumored) even new outfits.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Alteisen posted:

Yea they promised all sorts of poo poo, new campaigns, new weapons(a flamethrower was rumored) even new outfits.

I seldom find video game flamethrowers all that convincing anyway.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

StandardVC10 posted:

I seldom find video game flamethrowers all that convincing anyway.

Games that do flamethrowers good make me happy. I hate when you get a weapon that always sounds awesome, but then they try to balance it by making it either have no range or do no damage. Sometimes both.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nuebot posted:

Games that do flamethrowers good make me happy. I hate when you get a weapon that always sounds awesome, but then they try to balance it by making it either have no range or do no damage. Sometimes both.

The main thing I find with flamethrowers is that they work so much better on player characters than they do on NPCs. You'll fight dudes with flamethrowers and they're really annoying, then you finally get your hands on a flamethrower and it's pretty much your worst weapon.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Burning up a pot farm and all the mercenaries guarding it in Far Cry 3 while Skrillex plays on a loop and you get a contact high from the smoke was some pretty good flammenwerferfelt.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Turok 2 also had a pretty good flamethrower for an n64 game

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Given the topic, I have to say that MGS5 inspired me to also go back and play MGS3 and I completely forgot how great the fight with the Fury is.
Basically it's an encounter with a man who uses what I can only describe as the most amazing flame thrower ever. You're forced to try and sneak around getting the jump on him as he turns the dark concrete tunnel/hall into a raging inferno.
It has such an escalation to the fight as it really starts out quite mellow but his fire clings and it's not long before he's lit most of the place up.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Sad lions posted:

Given the topic, I have to say that MGS5 inspired me to also go back and play MGS3 and I completely forgot how great the fight with the Fury is.
Basically it's an encounter with a man who uses what I can only describe as the most amazing flame thrower ever. You're forced to try and sneak around getting the jump on him as he turns the dark concrete tunnel/hall into a raging inferno.
It has such an escalation to the fight as it really starts out quite mellow but his fire clings and it's not long before he's lit most of the place up.

The fire in MGS3 was extremely great and I'm still amazed that that was in a ps2 game.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Sad lions posted:

He also roasts bats that you can then pick up and eat. MGS3 is the best.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Captain McStabbin posted:

The fire in MGS3 was extremely great and I'm still amazed that that was in a ps2 game.

MGS3 in general almost always looked really good I thought. I mean some parts, like the fury fight and the final fight with the boss are what stick out most in my mind but aside from Volgin's face the game didn't look really ugly and I always thought they did a good job with it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
On the original PS2 the fight with The Fury could have the framerate drop to the single digits once the whole room was on fire and it still looked great, so if you're playing it for the first time now on modern systems/emulation you're really lucky.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
I just played MGS3 for the first time in the fancy HD port. And while it definitely looked nice, the Fury's boss fight was far and away my least favorite part of the game.
Content: the conversations with Para-Medic were amazing.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
MGSV minor spoilers about Huey being an rear end in a top hat: One of the things that tips over the realization that Huey is in fact lying about absolutely everything is when he claims he's never seen his kid's face. On the mission when you go to get him, if you look closely at the AI pod that he's using as a hilariously depressing refrigerator door, there's a photo of Strangelove with little Hal.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Thinky Whale posted:

MGSV minor spoilers about Huey being an rear end in a top hat: One of the things that tips over the realization that Huey is in fact lying about absolutely everything is when he claims he's never seen his kid's face. On the mission when you go to get him, if you look closely at the AI pod that he's using as a hilariously depressing refrigerator door, there's a photo of Strangelove with little Hal.

Pretty much everything Huey says is discredited by something else he says, it's actually pretty great. I really like the one time when it's clear he's telling the truth, though.

He is the one guy that seriously calls Mother Base out for declaring, despite all evidence, that D-Dog is a dog and not a wolf. That they just claim things to be a certain way to have a sense of belonging and purpose. In one fell swoop he explains his own motivations, Miller's weird and arbitrary conclusions of who to trust, arguably Eli's whole deal, and provides one of the only actual pieces of foreshadowing as to the deal with Big Boss.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Cleretic posted:

Pretty much everything Huey says is discredited by something else he says, it's actually pretty great. I really like the one time when it's clear he's telling the truth, though.

He is the one guy that seriously calls Mother Base out for declaring, despite all evidence, that D-Dog is a dog and not a wolf. That they just claim things to be a certain way to have a sense of belonging and purpose. In one fell swoop he explains his own motivations, Miller's weird and arbitrary conclusions of who to trust, arguably Eli's whole deal, and provides one of the only actual pieces of foreshadowing as to the deal with Big Boss.

I really was willing to give him a lot of rope until the AI pod played its last recording. Then I was all for stringing him up.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

I really was willing to give him a lot of rope until the AI pod played its last recording. Then I was all for stringing him up.

I love the bit where he's all
"Skull Face killed her! I couldn't let her out or he'd kill me too! It was a suicide! It was an accident! I tried to get her out but couldn't!"
all within like 30 seconds.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I played through MGS3 recently on the 3DS. My favorite boss fight would probably be The Pain. :allears: Also not technically a boss fight but I loved the whole bit where you're running away from volgin on a motorcycle.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
To counteract MGSV talk with the other currently popular game Destiny, they just added three new subclasses for the release of the Taken King. One of them is the Sunbreaker, a Titan that can throw flaming hammers as his super. They're one hit kill against other players in PvP, have splash damage and they can throw like 5-6 of them.

When the Sunbreaker pops his super, the game will announce it to all nearby players with a "hammering an anvil" sound. Right now the game doesn't differentiate between friendly and foe supers, so the instant anyone not playing a Titan hears that sound there's a mad dash for cover. As it's not directional at all, I've ended up running right into the Hammerbro, thinking I'm going away from them. Sometimes it'll end up being someone on my team but in my panic I'll run into a group of enemies and die, only to see 5 hammers fly in and wreck them on my death screen.

The game also does a great job with it's surround sound. I have a nice setup in a pretty excellent room for surround, able to be an equal distance from all speakers and I only have to deal with major reflections from one wall. I'm able to identify exactly where a sound is coming from in-game, and even things like the music tracks are mixed for surround.

I'm pretty sure MGSV supports surround, anyone have experience with it? Did Kojima do a good job (I'm going to guess yes)? I can get PC or PS4 version and I'll only be able to do surround on PS4, so if it's done exceptionally well I'd go for that.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I'm playing Mad Max at the moment and it's got a few neat litle things in it.

If you fall a distance enough to hurt (but not kill) yourself, Max walks with a limp for a bit afterwards, favouring his good leg.

Your mechanic dude yells and whoops while you're driving around, and says poo poo about stuff you see or go past, but I had to grin when, after a short road battle with some buggies, they drove off, since I'd damaged them enough to scare them away.
My mechanic guy calls after them "What are you, chicken? KAKAAH!" It's a reference to the TV show Arrested Development, wherein the Bluth family don't seem to understand what a chicken sounds like, with their attempts at mimicry sounding like "Kakah!"

Talking to some random person on the side of the road, and they go "I've heard of some great deeds. Surely it can't really be you?" then the mechanic goes "It is. And don't call him Shirley."

I also love the drummers. In cerain strongholds/camps, there are these guys suspended by ropes over areas that are generally Arena-like in some way. You enter, get swarmed by guys and the drummer startes drumming and chanting and cheering his guys on. If he does this for long enough, he buffs every enemy in and around the camp, which means snipers fire faster and more accurately, missile towers fire faster and with more projectiles in each salvo and regular enemies can take more of a beating, atack faster/are more aggresive and become harder to counter. The drummers are not a threat by themselves though; it seems the drums they are beating are also very explosive, since shooting one makes him detonate and just cutting the rope and making him fall to the ground also results in a fatal explosion for the guy.

What's funny is if you complete the area by defeating all the attackers, but don't kill the drummer, they will say all sorts of funny things, like

"War Boys! Come he... oh. There's no-one left. Huh. It's just me and you."
"Ah, so, um... Do you need a drummer? I'm pretty good, been at it a few years."
"No, wait! There is a rule - you don't kill the drummer!"

It never gets old, after this big frantic fight with often buffed guys, all the while these drums are banging and he's swinging around up on his rope yelling and poo poo, once you've won, they're always so dejected and they just kind of slowly swing in the wind, while trying to be casual and hope you don't kill them too.

Also, according to the Mad Max IMDB: "On top of this game being an open world game, there are zones past the handmade world that are procedurally generated, meaning the area in Mad Max that can be explored is essentially infinite."

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

princecoo posted:

Also, according to the Mad Max IMDB: "On top of this game being an open world game, there are zones past the handmade world that are procedurally generated, meaning the area in Mad Max that can be explored is essentially infinite."

This is a lie because if you drive out of bounds it's nothing but endless empty desert and your health depletes real quick.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

This is a lie because if you drive out of bounds it's nothing but endless empty desert and your health depletes real quick.

I was looking forward to testing that later. Oh well!

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Starhawk64 posted:

It is set in australia.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

Calaveron posted:

The Cerebral Bore is a little thing I like. Oh and they had crazy water sections in multiplayer that were just... Blocks of 3d movement...

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Syndicate 2012 was a crap game but at least it had an excellent flamethrower.

*FWOOOOSH* "YEEEEARGGGHHH"

edit:

Love a good flamethrower in a vg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Syndicate 2012 was a crap game but at least it had an excellent flamethrower.

*FWOOOOSH* "YEEEEARGGGHHH"

edit:

Love a good flamethrower in a vg

Syndicate 2012 felt like a stylishly dumb action flick and I kinda appreciated it that way.