Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Paladinus posted:

This debacle isn't funny enough until Chris Roberts leaves his luxury house after receiving anonymous threats on twitter.

only for people to compile video evidence and show he never left his house at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

how many pictures of space ships do you "own"

zero, this is my first time reading about star citizen since the kickstarter and that's because i just saw the thread near the top in the games forum

why, how many posts have you invested into something you don't care about?

edit: v :D

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Ernie. posted:

i have one of those as does anyone who has worked in a secure facility in the past 20 years. i can easily hook it up to a star citizen lanyard. like reading the original article i went 'what the gently caress' when it claimed that every employee said to follow the money, but now i'm convinced that the escapist is being pranked.

ill fuckin see you in the 'verse buddy

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

sorla78 posted:

She is already up.
https://twitter.com/lizzyf620

Liz O'GingerMcIrish @lizzyf620 20m20 minutes ago

Liz O'GingerMcIrish Retweeted A Name
Zooming in it looks the same as the one presented to me. Wouldn't swear on a bible that it's 100% identical, but yea

Derek is up as well

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

Nicolas Murfett

CIG already had a relationship with Harbottle & Lewis in the UK, I wonder how CIG are going to explain who will pay the legal fees if this goes further.

Well in the UK, the loser of an initiated law suite pays both parties legal fees. It would suck for them to lose a case like this, which they will considering poo poo is said about more important people than Sandi and Chris in the tabloids.

Same for the US regarding freedom of press. Tabloids say worse sht with shady proof and partial truths about ppl than was said about Sandi and still operate unabated.

Amun Khonsu fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 4, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Ernie. posted:

zero, this is my first time reading about star citizen since the kickstarter and that's because i just saw the thread near the top in the games forum

why, how many posts have you invested into something you don't care about?

edit: v :D

dude, I care a lot about star citizen

in basically the same way I care about a really entertaining movie while I'm watching it

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

de_dust posted:

ill fuckin see you in the 'verse buddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCpNWR5EXFU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know what the legal situation is in the US and California in general for an ex member of staff actually going fully public, so fully on the record with their real name attached, with allegations of illegal hiring practices?

(Don't answer if you've just going to link me to a law encyclopedia, show me pictures of legal offices and then get mad at me, thanks).

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

dude, I care a lot about star citizen

in basically the same way I care about a really entertaining movie while I'm watching it

sorry i presumed :P

tbh i'm on the side of "well yeah who expected that game to come out in its entirety" but also on the side of "this is all 9 goons pranking the escapist isn't it"

i just don't believe that they'd consider a hardware id to be an actual piece of identification

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
The card of Darian Vorlick has been ID'd over at Reddit.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You think it's safe to go to bed and surely nothing is going to happen tonight anymore.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Friendly Tumour posted:

You think it's safe to go to bed and surely nothing is going to happen tonight anymore.

I'm going to bed, no doubt I will wake up too 500+ new postings

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

He's going to see what way the Escapist jump and then blog post them into submission again.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

Well that's my story.

AP posted:

He's going to see what way the Escapist jump and then blog post them into submission again.

DS is really takin' them to to the 'verse if you know what im saying

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
#ifartwithsmart

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
The writing for this show is great. It reminds me of Arrested Development in a lot of ways. And they release new episodes daily!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

sorla78 posted:

The card of Darian Vorlick has been ID'd over at Reddit.

Just like they ID’d the card as a backer card the day before?

There’s no way this won’t be hilarious though-- either the escapist got the rolling of a lifetime, or liz is going to drop a loving rock on them

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

OriginalPseudonym posted:

Just like they ID’d the card as a backer card the day before?

There’s no way this won’t be hilarious though-- either the escapist got the rolling of a lifetime, or liz is going to drop a loving rock on them

Liz O'GingerMcIrish posted:

Drop a rock.

she heard you

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ernie. posted:

she heard you

oh gently caress

e: :five:

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 4, 2015

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Bear in mind that the guy who presented his ID card to the escapist apparently also showed his pay stubs.And :lol: that CIG's response uses the fact that they don't have company IDs as a big GOTCHA while deliberately ignoring that they make their staff wear security IDs.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Worse than using nerd money to pay for a house, cars, flights, a personal chef, vacations, shouting, swearing, massive development time waste, spending months on stuff that won't work, firing people. Chaetophobia, ageism & racism.

I'm holding out for the sex and drug rumours.

edit to add privately funded movies, I forgot. Also Around the Verse season 2. Season 2!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Okay, I had to skip a couple of pages and genuinely want to know what's going on. Who's Liz and what's with id cards?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

AP posted:

Worse than using nerd money to pay for a house, cars, flights, a personal chef, vacations, shouting, swearing, massive development time waste, spending months on stuff that won't work, firing people. Chaetophobia, ageism & racism.

edit to add privately funded movies, I forgot. Also Around the Verse season 2. Season 2!

if they held off on the other stuff because of insufficient verification, I have to wonder how much more stuff they can actually "put out there"

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
The refund plug was pulled and now we're all circling the drain.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

Okay, I had to skip a couple of pages and genuinely want to know what's going on. Who's Liz and what's with id cards?

She's the Escapist reporter who spoke to all the ex (and some current) CIG staff. Reddit thinks because CIG say they don't issue id cards that they aren't lying by omission or walking a fine line and the escapist is in trouble, but ignored the bit about CIG pay stubs and the fact Vorlick was wearing some kind of badge in one of the videos. Also no doubt there would be CIG access badges for events too etc.

AP fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 4, 2015

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Won't we not actually get to see all the juicy stuff that comes from the lawsuit if it happens? The whole company will have a lid put on it by competent lawyers and the train will stop.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Paladinus posted:

liz is the escapist author, she allegedly saw an ID card as part of the "proof" and everyone's trying to guess which ID card she saw and why that type of ID card isn't a valid identifier

also cr's screed has been updated with a gen-uwine legal C&D letter

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

AP posted:

Not a big deal until it's sex with drugs. Or sex with ship models.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Never mind, got it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
My new favourite quote from something my friend sent me

quote:

Here's the letter from CIG's legal department. (They attached a picture of the letter here)
Honestly, I don't really see this ending well for Escapist. Either this goes to court and becomes an expensive libel lawsuit between CIG and The Escapist (which they could very well lose), or The Escapist offers a sacrificial lamb in the form of firing Liz and retracting the story. Either way, it paints the picture that The Escapist was either negligent or malicious in publishing the article.
Maybe if it was just Chris Roberts firing off angry emails then the case could be made that he was worried about people actually looking into this, but now that lawyers are involved, he's clearly serious about disproving this and making Escapist take the story back.
Whatever feud is going on between Roberts and The Escapist, it's looking like they were not able to settle it without involving the legal system. The fact remains that Roberts' company was accused of illegal activity, and now they are going to make The Escapist defend their accusations in court.
If it turns out that The Escapist is guilty of publishing libel, it will be disappointing but we should not consider this a defeat for GG. The Escapist is a neutral website that updated their ethics policies in response to GG, but ultimately they are not representatives of the movement, even if the writer of this article claimed to be a supporter of GG.
This reminds me of what happened with King of Pol, except the implications of this are much more severe. If it turns out that Liz, who claimed to be a GG supporter, has herself been writing libelous articles against a game publisher, then the last thing we should do is circle the wagons around her. We are here to protect the gaming hobby from bad journalism, and it is looking more and more that Liz may have been participating in bad journalism.
We are not here to defend journalists who are involved with potentially shady activities just because they made positive tweets about GG in the past, especially if said shady activities included wrongfully smearing the reputation of game developers for personal gain. That would be a complete inversion of GG's mission.

He then proceeded to point out to me that the person can't even bring themselves to point out the obvious case of "And what if the Escapist is telling the truth?" He can only talk about the escapist being wrong, and even if they aren't wrong, losing a lot of money in court and giving in. It's interesting to look into the brain of a Cultist who on the surface is trying to look reasonable. It's like the uncanny valley of human interaction.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Space court.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Also, shouldn't it be star court?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Whoever wins the case -- and who honestly knows how far Defy Media will go due to expense -- can recover legal fees. Legal fees are things like filing fees paid to the state. They do not usually include the defense as well.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Chris Roberts posted:

I would like to point out that ever since I got your email from David I have been working on this response. I worked on this until 5am last night, and a couple more hours this morning in the UK, where I am currently am in preparation for CitizenCon in a week from Saturday. Conservatively it’s taken me about eight hours to write. This is time I could have spent working on the game

This will never stop being funny.

AP fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 4, 2015

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I.N.R.I posted:

You all like to gently caress dogs and cum in them

you sure like to talk about loving dogs

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

Whoever wins the case -- and who honestly knows how far Defy Media will go due to expense -- can recover legal fees. Legal fees are things like filing fees paid to the state. They do not usually include the defense as well.

If most of the stuff is true and the Escapist don't back down, it'll never reach court anyway as they'll be out of money long before then.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I suspect this is how they see any court case going down against the Escapist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf4YINfjQaQ

TO THE MINES!!

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Defy Media is a private company that has about USD 100MM in yearly revenues and about 370 employees with their main offices in NY and LA, they claim to be profitable. Checking their glassdoor reviews, shows the usual chaos that follows a merger but it seems to be an ok place to be. I wonder if they are going for an IPO anytime soon.
http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Defy-Media-Reviews-E782045.htm

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

Well that's my story.
i want to get desperately personally invested in a video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Okay, it's Sunday afternoon here, I'm going to assume it's getting close to Sunday morning on the other side of the pond too.

Is typing up threats of a lawsuit smack bang in the middle of the weekend standard legal practice? Were they hoping the Escapist's legal advisor(s) would be off work, and whoever they left in charge would just panic and pull the story?

de_dust posted:

i want to get desperately personally invested in a video game
Do you have $20,000 lying around? There's still time for you to sign up to this shitshow!

• Locked thread