Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Are they really giving out refunds

The drama this game generates is the only thing I know about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

AP posted:

He's going to see what way the Escapist jump and then blog post them into submission again.

Hahaha, god drat D.Smizzle is savage as gently caress!

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

OriginalPseudonym posted:

also cr's screed has been updated with a gen-uwine legal C&D letter

lol if you really think that is a genuine legal cease and desist letter

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

de_dust posted:

just checked out the SC reddit.

it's literally a cult

I remember back when that place was level headed and would call CIG out on their bullshit.

Eventually CIG began posting there, and then the most die hard from the brown sea began to post. The SC sub is now just an extension of the main forums. Most that are there don't even venture outside the SC sub.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Are they really giving out refunds

The drama this game generates is the only thing I know about it

Well it is the only thing there is to see really.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
I'm glad I caught up on this thread instead of skipping to the end and askign what happened because :lol:

GaussianCopula posted:

My mind was just blown by this passage:

"Mr. Gardiner has personally hired two African-American staff members"

and

"One of her department members is over 40, and two are almost at that age."

She has a black friend OKAY! Stop accusing her of being racist or agist goddamn.

Did they confirm that she hired one or more employees who had a hairy crotch? This is important to the court case.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

What Croberts even does for the game right now? He doesn't code, he can't draw ships, what else?

hires people who have experience in making games and tells them to make the best space mmo game ever made, then goes on vacation and makes movies in between coming back to tell them again

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Maldoror posted:

hires people who have experience in making games and tells them to make the best space mmo game ever made, then goes on vacation and makes movies in between coming back to tell them to redo it again

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
a cult

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Space cult.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Rincewinds posted:

Soooo, should I wait until 10 of October to see if there is any interesting coming or should I just ask for a refund now? I have not really followed the development beyond Beer's posts since Elite Dangerous went to Beta, and since he have gone from jovially mocking SC to believing there will be a wave of people backers committing seppuku, should I make an actual effort to get something back or just continue to ignore things?

Depends on how much you put in, and how much you care. I still expect there to be something, and I wouldn't get much back anyway since most of what I spent is on the subscription.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Space cult.

uh it's a star cult

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
'verse cult

i really do have to admit this is the best game i have played in years. i've paid nothing yet i've easily gotten 90 million worth of entertainment out of it. thank you crobizzle, from the bottom of my bowels.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 4, 2015

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

People always say that Derek Smart makes terrible games but in 2015 he delivered Derek Smart's Cult Crusher 3000 and it was :perfect:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

robziel posted:

I'm glad I caught up on this thread instead of skipping to the end and askign what happened because :lol:

Did they confirm that she hired one or more employees who had a hairy crotch? This is important to the court case.

I'm no super legal expert like CIG has, but I'm pretty sure in the US when you have a company over 50 people, that you need to have a much higher ratio of minorities than .7%

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I've handled a reasonable amount of defamation work and I've never seen (or written) a demand letter like that. I mean demand letters are common but not whiny five page ones filled with sick burns and then published on the internet. I can't imagine they are going to follow through with this lawsuit but I would love to be wrong.

tooterfish posted:

Is typing up threats of a lawsuit smack bang in the middle of the weekend standard legal practice?
Yes, absolutely, if your purely hypothetical butthurt cokehead of a client is all in a tizzy you get that poo poo done asap

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
That said I sure hope Lizzy has better poo poo in her back pocket than Lanyardgate, the escapist isn't nearly as untouchable on this as some of you seem to think

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

sorla78 posted:

She is already up.
https://twitter.com/lizzyf620

Liz O'GingerMcIrish @lizzyf620 20m20 minutes ago

Liz O'GingerMcIrish Retweeted A Name
Zooming in it looks the same as the one presented to me. Wouldn't swear on a bible that it's 100% identical, but yea

That ID card looks identical to the FOB that my local harbor uses. I have one in my wallet.

I imagine it's used as a quickpass to get through the door at the Santa Monica office.

I have no idea what kind of secondary information is associated with it. Beyond possibly being used to log when X card was employed to access Y door.

Possibly useless information. But I didn't see anyone else comment on it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

god, the buttons on that poor shirt

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
anyone with experience with cokeheads willing to confirm/deny if crobizzle's face looks drugged out as gently caress in many of his videos?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yes, absolutely, if your purely hypothetical butthurt cokehead of a client is all in a tizzy you get that poo poo done asap
But ASAP would've been Friday?

Instead Roberts spent eight hours writing a personal love letter to the Escapist instead.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

The letter's actually dated Friday, Chris was just too busy comforting a sobbing Sandi to post it until yesterday

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

They're taking this to SPACE COURT

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
space court! space court! space court!

notacult notacult notacult

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

quote:

Meanwhile, Derek Smart vanishes into the shadows. I have to give him this, he is a cunning little bastard.
Derek made sure that his name was never mentioned in the article, thus no action can be levied against him. He masterfully manipulated others to take the fall for him whilst still getting his message out.

Derek can you confirm that you are a genius puppetmaster, y/n

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

See what happens when people mention space court? It becomes reality.

Goons ruin everything.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Aside from this whole miserable failure of a game that will never come out, the one thing that really bugs me, is people going:

"Durhhhh! You see guys, this is PROOF we really DO need publishers!", it's just so stupid, as if there is only way to get a game developer to run on schedule.

Plenty of businesses (including so called 'creative businesses') work just fine without having an rear end in a top hat company, who knows nothing about the actual practice of making games or how a given company funcitons, funding them and controlling their every move. Other companies have a bank, from which you loan money and that's it. If you can get your poo poo to turn a profit, then you're going under, just as it is with normal companies (and also how it is under publishers).

Publishers are the worst and the publisher/developer structure have ruined way, way more games than Christ Roberts in his megalomania could even dream of. Their primary purpose is to bleed all the developers possible profit out of a game, and pretend to do marketing for that amount. This is one thing where Chris Roberts is 100% correct in his critique.

Now, does that mean you should leave the full control the companys management in the hands of the creative visionary? Hell no, that would be the stupidest loving thing. Everyone who has even opened a book on organization theory will be able to tell you that it would be completely retarded, but lack of publishers aren't the loving reason why star citizen is going in the shitter.
This! I want a new and brilliant game from Tim Schafer, Hideo Kojima, Ken Levine and hell, even Chris Roberts. They just need a loving producer to tell them that enough is enough.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

stretch goals are back.
they need to reach 100 million dollars in order to unlock the space court module.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Mmm, wake up in the morning, pour a coffee, and watch the supernova that is CIG collapse in on itself.

Thank you escapist, thank you Dr. Smart, you're the real heroes.

Also: Miraculously after not hearing anything, this morning CIG emailed me confirming if I'd like a refund and to close my account. :toot:

Also, I read that CIG legal response. Who the gently caress did they really hire to write that -- Octopode?

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 4, 2015

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
It makes sense to me that CIG are crawling back to publishers to try and get some more funds - and that that is part of the reason they are going ballistic right now. I can imagine, however, that most of those meetings with publishers went something like this:

CIG: we would like more money please
publisher: ok, show us what you have so far
CIG: *ladder animation* *space bio-dome concept art* *a brief FPS demo that crashes immediately*
publisher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_6CZ2JaEuc

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It makes sense to me that CIG are crawling back to publishers to try and get some more funds - and that that is part of the reason they are going ballistic right now. I can imagine, however, that most of those meetings with publishers went something like this:

CIG: *ladder animation* *space bio-dome concept art* *a brief FPS demo that crashes immediately*
publisher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_6CZ2JaEuc

regardless of the article, i don't see any sane company picking this up if it retains crobizzle under the roof in any official capacity. the mismanagement of 90 million really can't be ignored.

I would love to see the face of the accountant that would ultimately have to audit CIG.

KJDavid
Nov 22, 2013

My other avatar is a pocke-thingy.
I am not a lawyer (obviously), but in what court in the United States is publishing your cease-and-desist letter online a good idea? WTF is the thinking behind that?

If you did it quietly, maybe you persuade Escapist to themselves quietly make the stories disappear. Now, their reputation is on the line, because YOU put their reputation on the line. Instead of having a chance to make the whole thing go away through legal threat rather than legal action, you almost certainly guarantee they aren't going to give in. They can't be seen to give in to bullying. Plus, there is a huge potential to gain by being seen as a group that stands up to bullying, real or imagined.

They also ran this stuff through their legal department, so I would suspect "What if they sue?" is a conversation that was had days ago.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

publisher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_6CZ2JaEuc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0

ftfy

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

KJDavid posted:

I am not a lawyer (obviously), but in what court in the United States is publishing your cease-and-desist letter online a good idea? WTF is the thinking behind that?

If you did it quietly, maybe you persuade Escapist to themselves quietly make the stories disappear. Now, their reputation is on the line, because YOU put their reputation on the line. Instead of having a chance to make the whole thing go away through legal threat rather than legal action, you almost certainly guarantee they aren't going to give in. They can't be seen to give in to bullying. Plus, there is a huge potential to gain by being seen as a group that stands up to bullying, real or imagined.

They also ran this stuff through their legal department, so I would suspect "What if they sue?" is a conversation that was had days ago.

It's a lot of chest beating, CIG is trying to make it's zealots awed with their awesome power to stand up to these nefarious Escapist trolls.

The only reason they would list a CC list like that on the bottom was to intimidate, and I also don't know of any C&D letter that ends with BY THE WAY LET ME NOW DESCRIBE HOW YOU'VE PERSONALLY PISSED ME OFF. BUT LET ME ALSO USE INFLAMMATORY LANGUAGE IN MY C&D LETTER TO PROVE HOW WRONG IT IS FOR YOU TO USE INFLAMMATORY LANGUAGE ABOUT SOMEONE YOU BADDIES.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
I think it's important that every time you say "Chris Roberts" that you add "alleged cokehead" because of journalist ethics.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
That's not a cease and desist letter, it's a shitpost on letterhead. I think Croberts even wrote that his legal team advised him not to put it online, but he cannot allow his grand vision to be besmirched by that scoundrel Derek Smart.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

lol this thread is now the point of information for refund

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Agrajag posted:

anyone with experience with cokeheads willing to confirm/deny if crobizzle's face looks drugged out as gently caress in many of his videos?

I too am interested in the mysterious drug known as cocaine. I've heard alot of nasty stories about it! If anyone knows anything about cocaine or has ever encountered a 'cokehead' please send me a PM. Thanks!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
itt goons / redditors are legal experts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

They're also trying to paint a picture of "establishment against little crowd funded upstart"

And one thing about this- no other journalist will really want to cover CIG in any form as they are going to be tainted as eager to sue.

• Locked thread