Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

KillHour posted:

"Rape mode"

Totally started typing up that joke when I first read the description but ended up deleting it. Now I regret it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ1lc6KASWg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos
Updated theater. Going for the minimalist approach this weekend.

In all seriousness, I don't have any idea how I mounted all that crazy heavy rack equipment by myself years ago. I had to leave some faceplates for the new owners where I stripped the screws trying to remove them.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

I want to connect a Wii U, a cable box, and a 3d blu ray player to both a 2d tv and a 3d projector. So I need some sort of 3x2 or 4x2 hdmi switch or splitter box. It doesn't need to be matrix, as I will only ever be using either the tv or the projector at one time, never both simultaneously. But from what I've been reading, it seems these boxes won't pass a 3d signal to my projector if the other output of the box is connected to a 2d device? Is that correct? What do I need to make this work?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sir Nose posted:

I want to connect a Wii U, a cable box, and a 3d blu ray player to both a 2d tv and a 3d projector. So I need some sort of 3x2 or 4x2 hdmi switch or splitter box. It doesn't need to be matrix, as I will only ever be using either the tv or the projector at one time, never both simultaneously. But from what I've been reading, it seems these boxes won't pass a 3d signal to my projector if the other output of the box is connected to a 2d device? Is that correct? What do I need to make this work?

This is probably not the right thread to ask this question in, but I'd say you need a 3-D capable receiver with two zones. I mean, you need speakers for your set up, right? you're not relying on the internal speaker on your projector, are you?

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

No, I'm not using projector speaker. I have a receiver, but it has no hdmi. I'm using coaxial digital audio for the blu ray player, analogue audio for the Wii U and cable box. I hope to solve this without buying a new receiver.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for my questions. Where should I go?

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 28, 2015

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Sir Nose posted:

No, I'm not using projector speaker. I have a receiver, but it has no hdmi. I'm using coaxial digital audio for the blu ray player, analogue audio for the Wii U and cable box. I hope to solve this without buying a new receiver.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for my questions. Where should I go?

You are going to need a switch that supports EDID management and you are not going to like the price. It would be much cheaper to buy a dedicated blu-ray player for the projector.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Legdiian posted:

You are going to need a switch that supports EDID management and you are not going to like the price. It would be much cheaper to buy a dedicated blu-ray player for the projector.

OK, that makes sense. Thanks for the advice!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sir Nose posted:

OK, that makes sense. Thanks for the advice!

Just FYI, this is the cheapest one I know of that supports EDID memory:

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204x2_7_1audio.html

It also has audio decoding to make hooking up your receiver easier. I have no idea if it supports 3D (you'll have to email them), but it's cheaper than a 2 zone receiver, at least. Not by a hell of a lot, but still.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

goons actually watch 3D movies? in their homes?? :pusheen:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kloa posted:

goons actually watch 3D movies? in their homes?? :pusheen:

I do... They're great once the screen sizes get bigger.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I thought about watching Age of Ultron in 3D since I got the BD that comes with the 3D version, only to discover that the battery in my 3D glasses was dead*. And the effort required to go get a new one far outweighed my level of care for actually watching it in 3D.

*: pretty sure the last time I used it was when the first Avengers BD came out.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I spent a lot of money on lasik so I never had to wear glasses again. I watched one Tesla documentary on my TV just to check it out and haven't touched it since.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I also had Lasik and watched Pacific Rim in theaters in 3D a month later and it was bad rear end.

Jurassic World, however kind of sucked in 3D. Although, I had really lovely seats on the far right, front row..

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

89 posted:

Jurassic World, however kind of sucked in 3D. Although, I had really lovely seats on the far right, front row..

That wasn't the 3D's fault.

Guardians of the Galaxy is a lot of fun in 3D, if you're looking for other fun blu-rays.

That happen to also be Marvel/also star Chris Pratt.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

There's only a few 3D movies I've seen which actually enhance the movie in any way. I saw Mad Max in 3D and it was a blurry mess. Saw it again in 2D and it was loving glorious and this is the reason why I rarely bother with 3D because it varies in quality from cinema to cinema, from screen to screen and putting glasses on to watch it at home is just a loving no-no.

The sooner 3D dies the better.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

I'm interested in the old 3d stuff-- Dial M For Murder, Creature From The Black Lagoon, House of Wax, etc. The only recent movie i can think of where I actually enjoyed the 3d was Despicable Me.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Doesnt get much better than Captain EO imo.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Dredd in 3D is fun.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I only watch the CG ones in 3D if i ever care to actually do it. Monsters Vs Aliens is always good, plus the bass is kickin' in that one.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I built a new desk for my office.

Now I need to get more equipment to fill that rack space. :getin:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sweet 45 degree angle rack mount action, I like it.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

is it 4U spacing or is that receiver just awkwardly sized?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The rack mounts are 4U, for a total of 12U of space in the desk. The receiver is a hair under 3U if you take the feet off. It's sitting on a 2U rackmount shelf that I modified slightly to hold it in place securely. It was never designed to be rackmounted. :shobon:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Now to get some monitors that are appropriately size for sitting four feet away from.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

two 27" monitors should be pretty good, luckily they aren't that expensive.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Now to get some monitors that are appropriately size for sitting four feet away from.

Yeah... this was pretty much my first thought. If I wasn't unemployed at the moment, I'd get a couple of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005757

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I wanted music in my kitchen, so I made a spice rack.

It's a $7 JVC RX-150 receiver and a set of $30 Yamaha NX-GX50 speakers, with a Chromecast Audio hooked up. I probably paid a little too much for the speakers, but they're surprisingly good for what they are.

Basket of Kittens
Feb 22, 2008

Across the Rio Grande
Well poo poo, I had no idea how big the SC-1 would be. Now going to need to raise the TV up, might distort the viewing angle a bit, but I hope not

Also my dad gave me this old Marantz and Kenwood speakers to look at if they have any value. He thinks he might just wrap them up and put them in his cellar as antiques. Cool looking stuff though.

http://imgur.com/a/33CCG

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Basket of Kittens posted:

Well poo poo, I had no idea how big the SC-1 would be. Now going to need to raise the TV up, might distort the viewing angle a bit, but I hope not

Also my dad gave me this old Marantz and Kenwood speakers to look at if they have any value. He thinks he might just wrap them up and put them in his cellar as antiques. Cool looking stuff though.

http://imgur.com/a/33CCG

The speakers are nothing special but the 4430 is.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I've got a whole lot of nothing special but I make the most out of it. No photos since I'm at work and stumbled upon the thread.

TV: 50" LG Plasma
Audio: Some older Sony receiver, no HDMI capability
Blu-ray: Panasonic BD-85K
Speakers: Cerwin Vega V? VE? series, 12" towers, 5" dual center with 5" bookshelves for surrounds with an old 8" 50W Aiwa sub

Making the most out of this as in for the price, the TV doesn't suffer from any motion blur that any comparable LCD probably would have. Takes 24p from the Blu-ray and Xbone.

Also with that Panasonic, that was their high end model a few years ago which I guess has some really good audio and video processing chips in it and has analog audio out, so I still get Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA running to the receiver which doesn't support those itself.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
While i've been able to hear the difference sometimes between dolby digital and DTS 1500kbps, I've never been able to hear dts 1500kbps to the higher bitrate encoding.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011

jonathan posted:

While i've been able to hear the difference sometimes between dolby digital and DTS 1500kbps, I've never been able to hear dts 1500kbps to the higher bitrate encoding.

Yeah, I can hear the difference between DD 448 kbps and DTS 750 kpbs most of the times. DTS vs hidef formats, not so much.

Basket of Kittens
Feb 22, 2008

Across the Rio Grande
drat I cannot find my calibration mic for the Pioneer receiver

Is it okay to borrow a calibration mic from a Yamaha and use it?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Took this pic for other reasons, might as well post it here too.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wont be spot on but might work alright. Those mics aren't super accurate, but they are made so the measurements are exactly the same for the entire run, so a calibration file is stored within the receiver to correct for the mic.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Probably not, especially across brands, but I don't think it would hurt to try.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Reverse Centaur posted:

Nice, tidy setup.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

how you gonna watch tv facing the wrong way :confused:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

kloa posted:

how you gonna watch tv facing the wrong way :confused:

There's a matching two seater la-z-boy couch facing the TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

jonathan posted:

Wont be spot on but might work alright. Those mics aren't super accurate, but they are made so the measurements are exactly the same for the entire run, so a calibration file is stored within the receiver to correct for the mic.

This. Most likely it won't be able to figure the correct speaker distance due to different cable length and volume may be too quiet/loud but for setting levels and so on it should work. If your amp let's you out your own distance measurements in do that.