Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

midnightclimax posted:

yeah isn't it wonderful?

there'll be so much to talk about! i hear there's a new ship and it's for special convention goers only and it's only $2,600

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

OhDearGodNo posted:

You spent $660+ on Star Citizen.

How much did I spend again?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Octopode posted:

You should try being more successful in your life. It opens lots of possibilities.

Lol are you trolling here because lmao

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

angerbeet posted:

there'll be so much to talk about! i hear there's a new ship and it's for special convention goers only and it's only $2,600

Didn't you hear? They dropped the price to $1300. You would be stupid not to buy it!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

shadow puppet of a posted:

What is left for a publisher or investor to get back after funding more development?

There is no monthly fee, right? All the shiplords have already been whaled out. The game has near-total market awareness among everyone that is a possible space sim customer.

The post-launch revenue seems pretty minimal, if not microscopic. I guess there is China, but things like the 100gb install size and presumably high system requirements for all the no-budget model work make it unlikely to translate into something that market can digest. The glut of people hungry for another WOW-like experience of fresh quests and old guilds wont gravitate to the game. The youth-trend-frenzy market is mostly in Dota and LoL.

All that's left are the people that are waiting for the real launch and review scores before handing over $59. But for the genre that group seems tiny as its a rabid segment and there is some incentive to already be a customer and fiddle with your hangar.

Who the hell would invest?

Microsoft to the rescue

Major Asshole
May 3, 2004
I knew it... im surrounded by assholes!

Skoll posted:

Im cumming.

Im way ahead of you. And i would pay $100 for mega maid.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Dusty Lens posted:

Didn't you hear? They dropped the price to $1300. You would be stupid not to buy it!

i'll buy two it's a bargain at twice the price

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Octopode posted:

The only time you're protected by the identity of the source alone is when you are reporting on statements from official sources, such as government officials or reports. If you're reporting on the statements of private individuals, you're liable for the content of the statements themselves if you failed to meet reasonably prudent standards of validating them.

Please quote your sources

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

AP posted:

How much did I spend again?

$2,445

holy poo poo.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

OhDearGodNo posted:

$2,445

holy poo poo.

:drat:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I'm satisfied with my $35 I threw into the dumpster fire. Maybe Squadron 42 will come out of this and not suck. It's all I really wanted.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
So is this refund deal all or nothing? Or can I hang onto the starter package?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
did someone buy sandi gardiner an account at the somethingawful.com forums yet

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Octopode posted:

The only time you're protected by the identity of the source alone is when you are reporting on statements from official sources, such as government officials or reports. If you're reporting on the statements of private individuals, you're liable for the content of the statements themselves if you failed to meet reasonably prudent standards of validating them.

Did you know? David Cameron, Prime Minister of Her Majesty's government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, at some point in his life has placed his private part into a mouth of a pig's severed head.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Rincewinds posted:

youre a retard

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rincewinds posted:

why don't you want all your money back this will never be a game worth playing

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

why don't you want all your money back this will never be a game worth playing

Worth playing implies that it will actually be released. This is not likely to ever happen.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

shadow puppet of a posted:

What is left for a publisher or investor to get back after funding more development?

There is no monthly fee, right? All the shiplords have already been whaled out. The game has near-total market awareness among everyone that is a possible space sim customer.

The post-launch revenue seems pretty minimal, if not microscopic. I guess there is China, but things like the 100gb install size and presumably high system requirements for all the no-budget model work make it unlikely to translate into something that market can digest. The glut of people hungry for another WOW-like experience of fresh quests and old guilds wont gravitate to the game. The youth-trend-frenzy market is mostly in Dota and LoL.

All that's left are the people that are waiting for the real launch and review scores before handing over $59. But for the genre that group seems tiny as its a rabid segment and there is some incentive to already be a customer and fiddle with your hangar.

Who the hell would invest?

People who are not gullible enough to shell out hundreds of dollars for jpegs?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I just read this big loving letter and instead of just writing "we'll see you in court" it was loaded with pedantic babble about how publishers won't take chances (i.e. Won't listen to these goofs) and about how consoles are too small to contain all the dreams of Star Citizen and how the PC is the most majestic gaming system.

This game is like the intersection of the most horrible gaming concepts. I hope it all burns to the ground.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

FYI for people posting remember that SC is meant to be set at the fall of Rome so keep in mind that this is all just roleplay.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

FYI for people posting remember that SC is meant to be set at the fall of Rome so keep in mind that this is all just roleplay.

So Derek is Atilla?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Rincewinds posted:

They will ask you to choose if partial or full account deactivation

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

lol wake up to 400 new posts, "what's happening"

chris baby, sweetie, go take a nap before you do anything else

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

EminusSleepus posted:

So Derek is Atilla?

Odoacer

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Zmej posted:

lol wake up to 400 new posts, "what's happening"

chris baby, sweetie, go take a nap before you do anything else

Napping cuts into his precious snorting time. Unacceptable.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Honestly, anyone on this forum who gave money to this game should have their total expense added to their avatars for life; so going forward we know who they are and can see how deep their naïveté goes.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It is more likely that SC will declare bankruptcy than a game ever coming out.

Should I get a full or partial refund durrrrrr

bres0048
Oct 29, 2012

He didn't jump the bandwagon, his article says go buy popcorn poo poo just got real.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
gently caress the unbelievers, I'm staying in. I paid an honest five dollars to upgrade this freebie Omega to an Avenger so I'd be a 'real backer', and I'll stick this out to the bitter end!

Besides, it'll be a laugh if I end up in a class action. Or if SQ42 actually ever comes out (nope), this epic cinematic experience'll cost five dollars.

Can't moan, really. Go ahead and stick 'five dollars' on my garbage dick.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

GaussianCopula posted:

People who are not gullible enough to shell out hundreds of dollars for jpegs?

Come to think of it, that would probably be a fairly valuable asset to sell off: the CIG whale list.

brakanjan
May 26, 2014

Romes128 posted:

so do you just look at pictures of your spaceships and make "pew pew" sounds while spinning around in your computer chair all day?

or masturbate to pictures of your spaceships like your tag implies?

Phew, I was beginning to think I was the only one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

I just read this big loving letter and instead of just writing "we'll see you in court" it was loaded with pedantic babble about how publishers won't take chances (i.e. Won't listen to these goofs) and about how consoles are too small to contain all the dreams of Star Citizen and how the PC is the most majestic gaming system.

This game is like the intersection of the most horrible gaming concepts. I hope it all burns to the ground.

I love the argument about how publishers won't take chances with certain games, even though we are constantly seeing unique indie titles being published all the time by big publishers. Kickstarters and crowd funding are just another way to swindle huge amounts of money out of gullible idiots and get around the middle man that is the investor who expects and can demand a return. People who buy into crowdfunding are dork asses no matter how many successful kickstarters there are.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

I am still 8 pages behind and not sure if this has been posted..

But isn't it possible CIG is just buyng time with this lawsuit? These things take time right? And while the lwasuit is in progress, from the public standpoint, CIG is still clean. If they get enough time to push out SQ42 or some other major component, that might be enough to save the project from CIG standpoint. Legalfees be damned.. that's just backers' money, spent on a tactical move.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SirTagz posted:

I am still 8 pages behind and not sure if this has been posted..

But isn't it possible CIG is just buyng time with this lawsuit? These things take time right? And while the lwasuit is in progress, from the public standpoint, CIG is still clean. If they get enough time to push out SQ42 or some other major component, that might be enough to save the project from CIG standpoint. Legalfees be damned.. that's just backers' money, spent on a tactical move.

I missed something, where was it stated that CIG is filing a lawsuit? Against the Escapist? I've seen things from backers saying that CIG should file a lawsuit though.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Moogle posted:

Can't moan, really. Go ahead and stick 'five dollars' on my garbage dick.

Thanks for your contribution; but considering we all spent ten dollars on accounts for a message board, we should probably set a minimum of $100 for public humiliation.

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS
You're all such huge hypocrites it'd be funny if it wasn't so sad. Not believing a word CR says but lapping up the drivel of DS and the crappy games media articles. I'm gonna be hanging around here with a big grin on my face soaking in every word you dumb asses say until CIG releases exactly what they said they would.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I said come in! posted:

I missed something, where was it stated that CIG is filing a lawsuit? Against the Escapist? I've seen things from backers saying that CIG should file a lawsuit though.

they pulled a Smart and promised a law suit

but then they did it SC style and said

in two weeks

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Gryphon0468 posted:

You're all such huge hypocrites it'd be funny if it wasn't so sad. Not believing a word CR says but lapping up the drivel of DS and the crappy games media articles. I'm gonna be hanging around here with a big grin on my face soaking in every word you dumb asses say until CIG releases exactly what they said they would.

Hi Chris!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Gryphon0468 posted:

is this about ethics in game journalism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Gryphon0468 posted:

Did... did you pay ten dollars to tell people they have wrong opinions about a videogame?

• Locked thread