Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

I'm currently in school becoming a midwife and I'm doing a population survey on abortion. If you don't mind answering, please also post your gender and age.
1) Do you agree with abortion in cases of rape/incest?
2) Do you agree with abortion in cases of medical emergency i.e. the mother's life vs the fetus?
3) Do you believe a woman should be able to have an abortion for any reason, as a mater of personal decision?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yes, a woman should be able to obtain an abortion for any reason, at least up to the age of viability.
(37, f)

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
my personal opinion is yes to all three during the first trimester, but no after that. My legal belief is yes to all three until the baby is born.

Until we grant personhood status to a fetus, I don't see what business the state has telling a woman what she can do with the growth inside of her.

35m

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
32/female

1) Do you agree with abortion in cases of rape/incest? Yes.
2) Do you agree with abortion in cases of medical emergency i.e. the mother's life vs the fetus? Yes.
3) Do you believe a woman should be able to have an abortion for any reason, as a mater of personal decision? Yes.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Pretty sure all the data from your survey is null and void because public discussion is not how you conduct a survey.

SA is going to be overwhelmingly pro choice, and any dissenters are probably not going to post as it will out them as nazis to the hivemind. Maybe think of a better way?

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

Surveymonkey is a good website for this sort of thing since it's anonymous.

Barring that, yes to all although I personally wouldn't do it past the second trimester if the fetus was healthy.. Luckily, my body is not other peoples and I can't decide what is appropriate for others.
22/f.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Yes to all but I have a question about the wording of the first one. When you say rape/incest is incest supposed to be code for a child being raped by a relative or is it just an example of a pregnancy people may find taboo? Is the question usually posed this way?

33m

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Abortion is good.

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Yes to all but I have a question about the wording of the first one. When you say rape/incest is incest supposed to be code for a child being raped by a relative or is it just an example of a pregnancy people may find taboo? Is the question usually posed this way?

33m

Incest meaning a pregnancy that has a higher risk of birth defects or lower cognitive ability.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Yes x3

19/f

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

HopperUK posted:

Yes, a woman should be able to obtain an abortion for any reason, at least up to the age of viability.
(37, f)

Same answer. 51,m.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
y
y
y even at 36 weeks

Male, regdate 2003

Low Carb Bread
Sep 6, 2007

Yes to all three up to the age of 18 years

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
Pretty sure you're just going to get a bunch of "Yes" answers here.

That said, yes on all three. (27, M)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

one needs no further cause to evict a freeloader

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
1) Do you agree with abortion in cases of rape/incest? Y
2) Do you agree with abortion in cases of medical emergency i.e. the mother's life vs the fetus? Y
3) Do you believe a woman should be able to have an abortion for any reason, as a mater of personal decision? Y, through the first trimester.

I don't particularly like abortion, but I do believe it should be safe and legal.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

adorai posted:

my personal opinion is yes to all three during the first trimester, but no after that. My legal belief is yes to all three until the baby is born.

Until we grant personhood status to a fetus, I don't see what business the state has telling a woman what she can do with the growth inside of her.

35m

Same here. 32m

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
Didn't they teach you how to do surveys, and that this is a piss-poor way of doing it?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
40/both
All abortion for any reason is fine up to about 20-25 weeks, then "health of the mother".

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I'm concerned about the legitimacy of your education if this is considered a population survey.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'm from the Internet and I say kill 'em all

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Yes to all of these questions up until the 21st week of pregnancy (which is the point at which viability outside of the womb is possible). Then yes if it negatively affects the mother's chance of survival significantly or if the child would be born with disabilities that would affect its quality of life. (25, F)

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A population survey would imply that you know what population you're sampling from...

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975

Li Dawny posted:

I'm currently in school becoming a midwife and I'm doing a population survey on abortion. If you don't mind answering, please also post your gender and age.
2) Do you agree with abortion in cases of medical emergency i.e. the mother's life vs the fetus?
3) Do you believe a woman should be able to have an abortion for any reason, as a mater of personal decision?

Male, 62.

1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Yes.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Obdicut posted:

Didn't they teach you how to do surveys, and that this is a piss-poor way of doing it?

Lotta midwife schools are super woo and bad

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
36 year old woman (UK)

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes. I do feel a bit squeamish about the idea of very late (after 30 weeks) abortions without pressing medical need but I can't imagine that they happen enough to be statistically relevant so it is a moot point. And it's just a personal feeling, not something I would campaign against or anything.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
I'm a 23-year-old male

No
Yes
No

No matter where we decide the line between "person" and "not person" is, as long as abortion is something that happens we will sometimes get it wrong. That's not exactly "oops" territory. Abortion necessarily kills the matter that is removed, which is still the entirety of an organism of our species in an early developmental stage, and if we kill an organism that we found out was too person-y to be ok to kill, what exactly have we done?
And the circumstances around creating a person say nothing about whether it is an acceptable thing to kill the person
Both scenarios are horrible (well, ok, if you're working from the assumption that there is no ethical issue about abortion, maybe the other one isn't horrible, but still) but I would much rather be pregnant for 9 months and leave the baby in the hospital than die, and I would much rather grow up in foster care than die.

(of course creating a culture where sex isn't demonized and where sexual mistakes are treated with the same understanding as other mistakes and to making sure access to birth control is easy and increasing social programs to ease the burden of unplanned pregnancy and to making guys start paying child support at conception would be much more effective at reducing the number of abortions than an abortion ban and they're also things that need to happen anyway for all kinds of reasons but we're more interested in fighting about whether it should be legal than doing things that are good for both not loving over disadvantaged women and also reducing the number of abortions aren't we)

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yes to all three. 32 f

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
1. Y
2. Y
3. Y up to 24 weeks.

27, M

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

it is posted:

I'm a 23-year-old male

No
Yes
No

No matter where we decide the line between "person" and "not person" is, as long as abortion is something that happens we will sometimes get it wrong. That's not exactly "oops" territory. Abortion necessarily kills the matter that is removed, which is still the entirety of an organism of our species in an early developmental stage, and if we kill an organism that we found out was too person-y to be ok to kill, what exactly have we done?
And the circumstances around creating a person say nothing about whether it is an acceptable thing to kill the person
Both scenarios are horrible (well, ok, if you're working from the assumption that there is no ethical issue about abortion, maybe the other one isn't horrible, but still) but I would much rather be pregnant for 9 months and leave the baby in the hospital than die, and I would much rather grow up in foster care than die.

(of course creating a culture where sex isn't demonized and where sexual mistakes are treated with the same understanding as other mistakes and to making sure access to birth control is easy and increasing social programs to ease the burden of unplanned pregnancy and to making guys start paying child support at conception would be much more effective at reducing the number of abortions than an abortion ban and they're also things that need to happen anyway for all kinds of reasons but we're more interested in fighting about whether it should be legal than doing things that are good for both not loving over disadvantaged women and also reducing the number of abortions aren't we)

I am morbidly curious as to why you said no for the first one. BTW the words "it's not the baby's fault" are not a reason.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

I am morbidly curious as to why you said no for the first one. BTW the words "it's not the baby's fault" are not a reason.

31/m

I'm a
1)No
2)Yes
3)Yes, until viability

You always have a right to remove a fetus from you're body but if it's viable you don't have a right to do anything but induce labor. It's not the baby's fault is totally a reason to require delivery of the fetus if that's a viable alternative to abortion. If it's not viable then you don't have a responsibility to carry it inside you until it is.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

1)Yes
2)Yes
3)Yes

25/m

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes, up until viability outside the womb

29/F

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

adorai posted:

35m

Pretty much the same, but 30m.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'll flip it back around. In an ethical framework that views killing members of our species, even unborn ones, for reasons other than credible threats to other human lives as wrong, why would rape or incest make that OK? It's not like I'm excited about the prospect of a rape survivor carrying their baby to term, but the right of a human not to get killed should trump the right of a human to not be pregnant.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
29/F
Yes to all three.

Elective abortions should be 100% legal until the point of viability, which we could call 24 weeks or so, since it's somewhere around there that the chances of survival get up to 50%. Medical abortions should be legal in all cases. On top of that, abortion and other reproductive health services should be covered by health insurance and the Hyde amendment should be repealed 40 years ago. Reducing or removing access to safe, legal, elective abortions doesn't do anything but put more kids in foster care and kill more women who turn to dangerous alternatives out of desperation.

You can believe abortion is murder all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that women have found ways to induce abortions for literally 3000 years. If you think banning it will change that, you're delusional.

Leviathan Song posted:

31/m

I'm a
1)No
2)Yes
3)Yes, until viability

You always have a right to remove a fetus from you're body but if it's viable you don't have a right to do anything but induce labor. It's not the baby's fault is totally a reason to require delivery of the fetus if that's a viable alternative to abortion. If it's not viable then you don't have a responsibility to carry it inside you until it is.

This is really confusing. I'm not sure why you would say that completely elective abortions are fine, but give a flat no to cases of rape or incest.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

Li Dawny posted:

Yes to all. 51 YO female. What the woman's personal reason is has no bearing on the procedure to me. It's nobody's business why she wants it done.

Also, the wording in number two sticks in my craw a bit as it's not necessarily the mother's life, it's always the woman's life. She may or may not be a mother beforehand. She's deffo not going to be a mother afterwards, at least not in that instance. Odd to me people use that turn of phrase so often.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yes yes yes.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

errol _flynn posted:

Yes to all. 51 YO female. What the woman's personal reason is has no bearing on the procedure to me. It's nobody's business why she wants it done.

Also, the wording in number two sticks in my craw a bit as it's not necessarily the mother's life, it's always the woman's life. She may or may not be a mother beforehand. She's deffo not going to be a mother afterwards, at least not in that instance. Odd to me people use that turn of phrase so often.

not all pregnant people are women and i will thank you to be less cisnormative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm real surprised there are actually ppl on someting awful who are waffling about viability and all that nonsense

It's like Running Man people, until the fetus has escaped the arena and is wriggling around in the real world it's fair game for Dynamo

• Locked thread