Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Race transmissions also have the benefit of being a six speed gearbox, which can be really helpful on older cars that might only have a 3 or 4 speed transmission with the stock or sport options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Depends on the car. Some cars have transmissions that work well, and some need upgrades. If you're building your car and you're adding a bunch of power upgrades but your speed rating isn't going up, then go to transmissions and you'll see that upgrading will magically bump your speed.

Test driving your car will also tell you if you need to upgrade. If you're shifting and the rpms drop pretty low and you take a while to accelerate then you should upgrade. But sometimes the stock tranny works just fine. It's really a case by case basis.

I don't know about gear ratios enough so I usually only go up to sport if I need to change final drive.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Race transmissions are usually necessary on old muscle cars, as they came from the showroom with only 4 short gears.

Typically anything B or A class and above I'll put in a race transmission, unless the PI is close to the limit to start with or something.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If you're driving slow cars though you're wasting your time having more than 2 gears (3 and 4) for the majority of your driving; race transmissions just encourage you to shift up and down too much which means you're not keeping your momentum up.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
On some cars i can make a "Lemans gear", a really really long first gear to allow me shorter shifts on my remaining gears. Works well with an engine that makes its power right near the redline, but it does need constant shifting (so its paired well with a multi-friction disc clutch.)

Done right, it can make your car a rocket in the straights well above that its PI says it should be. (Hard to launch though)

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Apropos of nothing much, the Chaparral 2E goes from a 3 speed to a 6 speed with a race transmission. I think the 57 Chevy Bel Air goes from 2 to 6.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Turn 10 posted some clues about the upcoming October DLC over on their forums:

Turn 10 posted:

Clue 1

"I found my thrill on Blueberry Hill"

Clue 2

I am compelled to tell you the truth. I am very excited to see this car in Forza 6.

Clue 3

This car has no business on the race track, but we know you will enjoy racing it.

Clue 4

Rules changes drive innovation.

Clue 5

This car will hurt your ears, it will be painful to drive, but it will all be worth it.

I'm not sure about any of what they could be, but #3 intrigues me. Dumb cars are the best cars in Forza.

Also I'm finally getting off my lazy rear end and adding some more info and poo poo to the OP.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Based on the leaked youtube videos, #3 is probably the Cadillac limo, and #5 is probably the Caparo T1.

(the DLC also comes out this Tuesday I think)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

A Limousine? Well, for the first time ever I find myself lamenting the death of Fujimi Kaido.

PS if there is anything else I should add to the OP or first post or any ways people can see to improve it, let me know.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Why change now? You're doing well for a person who bought a nintendo arcade machine to play FireFox on instead of an XBox owner who actually plays FM6. Really, great show old chap.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I'm still going to get this poo poo eventually, it's just difficult reconciling the part of me that really really wants Forza 6 with the part of me that does not want to blow 400 dollars on a game system that has exactly one game I care at all about. Maybe I'll just pick up a used Xbox One.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cubey posted:

I'm still going to get this poo poo eventually, it's just difficult reconciling the part of me that really really wants Forza 6 with the part of me that does not want to blow 400 dollars on a game system that has exactly one game I care at all about. Maybe I'll just pick up a used Xbox One.
I've played many games on the XBone. When I bought it, it was for FM5 which you hated, even though it got better over time and was a great sim.
It's your call about FM6. Look at the GTCC thread where I will post 20-driver grids and keep standing off. It's your choice, Cubivore. Still, there are lots of console games (not FPS games, I don't play them on consoles) that you might really enjoy. I don't know what you like.

I just know what you hate because you complain in every post.

Do us all a favor and don't, "get this poo poo eventually." Don't bother. Save us the ridiculous grandstanding.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dr. Faustus posted:

I just know what you hate because you complain in every post.

Please filter through every post I have made in this thread and highlight the ones in which I have complained about anything.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Do us all a favor and don't, "get this poo poo eventually." Don't bother. Save us the ridiculous grandstanding.

The 'ridiculous grandstanding' about what? Being happy that Forza 6 is a great game that has the best list of race tracks of any racing game ever made and a list of cars to match?

Do you have me confused with someone else? Aside from one single shitpost (which was a joke to begin with, since my purchase of something else didn't impact my not purchasing an Xbox One), all I have done here is lavish this game with praise, even defending things like the exclusion of Maple Valley in exchange for great real-world tracks like Watkins Glen. Forza 6 is the game I've been waiting for since Forza 4. I just don't want to end up the same way I did when I bought my PlayStation Vita, a system which I have still only used for one single game in the three years I've owned it.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 5, 2015

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Well, I've known you a very long time now. If you're making jokes and trying to be funny then forgive me for not granting you immediate joking rights. You DO bitch a LOT.

You're the boy who cried, "wolf!" and now I'm supposed to take you at your word.

I've said it before and I repeat it now:
I like you and I like racing with you. Yes, we have disagreements. If you invite me to a lobby, I'll join if I can. I haven't noticed your love for FM6, especially when you don't have an XBox One, you (apparently jokingly) bragged about that, and you don't (of course) have FM6. Forgive me for the confusion.

Think I deserve to be confused? I do.

Many of us are racing our butts off. Where are you? Why are you talking about a console racer when you don't own the console or the sim? No disrespect meant. Join us! We had 20 drivers last Wednesday. That means there was room for four more.

Spamtheman
May 30, 2005

Effer of the ineffable

Jarf posted:

Sunday evening dice racing would be pretty much perfect for us.

GMT/Euro folk make yourselves heard!

:fap:

Did anybody do some racing? My internet was down.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Cubey posted:

FM5 was great and i made lifelong goonracing memories. You missed out, racing scrooge.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Cubey posted:

Turn 10 posted some clues about the upcoming October DLC over on their forums:

I'm not sure about any of what they could be, but #3 intrigues me. Dumb cars are the best cars in Forza.

Also I'm finally getting off my lazy rear end and adding some more info and poo poo to the OP.
Are we really only getting 5 loving cars per DLC pack? All of the regular monthly packs in FM4 and FM5 all had 10 cars each. Bummer, if that's the case.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Are we really only getting 5 loving cars per DLC pack? All of the regular monthly packs in FM4 and FM5 all had 10 cars each. Bummer, if that's the case.

7 cars each, according to the Car Pass store listing

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Nah we're getting 7, they just only gave out clues for 5. Presumably the 5 that will be of interest; the other two will just be model updates, presumably, and therefore nice additions but not necessarily worth getting people hyped up about.

I do wish it was still 10 as before, but whatever I suppose.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
Are we getting Porsche? Was that just for FH2?

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Jesus Christ, don't use the R18 e-tron in the endurance races. It gets abysmal fuel mileage, though I have no idea why (considering T10, it's probably because it is AWD)

At Sebring, for instance, I was able to go 6 laps longer just by using the other Audi, and racing roughly the same pace. (17 laps compared to 11 laps, wtf T10).

I'm most of the way through the single player stuff, and I still have no idea how fuel mileage is calculated.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SmokeyXIII posted:

I think Turn 10 hinted at it coming in the future, but don't quote me on that.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?

SmokeyXIII posted:

It's coming in 2016.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFp5r4ku_9E

These year-end model close-out sales are getting a bit ridiculous.

(Oh and you can sell the cars, too. Free money! Better hurry before they patch it.)

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

FAILURE posted:

It's coming in 2016.

And will cost twice as much, and gently caress up the achievements progress :mad:

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

L_Harrison posted:

(Oh and you can sell the cars, too. Free money! Better hurry before they patch it.)

This is beautiful, thank you.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

SmokeyXIII posted:

Porsche pack is coming Spring 2016

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

L_Harrison posted:

:eyepop: yes!

welp, got all the dumbshit cars I'll never actually buy like the Terradyne and old F1 cars.

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 6, 2015

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

L_Harrison posted:

This is a neat little glitch.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

robotsinmyhead posted:

:eyepop: yes!

welp, got all the dumbshit cars I'll never actually buy like the Terradyne and old F1 cars.

You shut your mouth. Old F1 cars are amazing.:colbert:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Took my wife for a drive today on a pretty fun road.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

L_Harrison posted:

I feel guilty, but I am going to launch FM6 and go nuts right now. Hope they don't crack down on me later.

VVV Good point. VVV I already bought stole both Shelbys and a few Ferraris, and an old Aston Martin

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 6, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Dr. Faustus posted:

I feel guilty, but I am going to launch FM6 and go nuts right now. Hope they don't crack down on me later.

Disconnect from the internet then go nuts.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I don't there would be any crackdown. There might have been if there were ways to buy credits with real money in FM6 but there aren't so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Thete was a money exploit in 2 and they never punished anyone who abused that, so go wild.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I know what I'm doing tonight. Garage frenzy, and maybe a little money-making.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
I did it for a dozen cars or so, mainly classic expensive stuff (like those goddamn Ferraris). I stopped because I didn't want to accidentally corrupt my save game or something like that by terminating the game mid-save repeatedly lol.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Maybe if the glitch didn't require waiting for the whole game to restart and load up every time you buy a car, or if the game didn't poo poo out credits at you like crazy, I'd bother doing this for some expensive cars. Alas, neither of those are the case.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That glitch is a godsend. Now I can just play with any car I want instead of grinding for money. Even better is selling cars back for pure profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Guys, Forza is a sim. There's nothing sim about exploiting glitches for free cars. Go play Need For Speed.

• Locked thread