Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm curious when I'm asked for why I am getting a refund.

Is it a test? Are they going to use that answer to determine if one is granted?

It's just so weird and unsettling when they ask if it's about Derek Smart. Just awkward.

None of their business, just tell them to grant the refund for not delivering on time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm curious when I'm asked for why I am getting a refund.

Is it a test? Are they going to use that answer to determine if one is granted?

It's just so weird and unsettling when they ask if it's about Derek Smart. Just awkward.

They are asking for it because one of the things they will need to prove in court for libel damages is that their business profits suffered in some way due to the article. They want you to say it is because of the Escapist or Smart because it gives them more ammo.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Just link them to Roberts' incoherent gamergate rant when they ask you what articles might have affected your decision.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Discolando explains why CIG cannot disclose financials:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5691637/#Comment_5691637

1) Imagine you live a responsible fiscal life (whatever that means, it's kinda part of the problem here.)

2) Now imagine your parents saw your bank records, your grandparents, your significant other, their parents and grandparents...

3) Would they all have the same opinion of how you spent your money? Would any of them NOT have a single criticism of how you spent your money? They care about you, so they will always find someway in their minds for you to improve on how you're doing things.

4) Which one of them would be right? You, who are spending the money for you, or them, people who care about you and only want what's best for you, but don't live your life and know your requirements?

5) Ask 200 people what responsible fiscal spending is, and get 300+ answers.

6) Now imagine you do this with nearly ONE MILLION parents who care about you. And the press.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Octopode posted:

If there's one thing people posting in this thread excel at, it's respecting dissenting opinions.

lol

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Hahaha they are literally selling the idea of a .jpg for money.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

RuckusRouser posted:

They are asking for it because one of the things they will need to prove in court for libel damages is that their business profits suffered in some way due to the article. They want you to say it is because of the Escapist or Smart because it gives them more ammo.

It also slows the whole process down and it's only 6 days to Citizen Con when you'll totally change your mind about even wanting a refund.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

RuckusRouser posted:

Yep, should have been obvious.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

RuckusRouser posted:

OK, we have reached a point where I do not know what is real anymore. I thought at first this was (a) something a redditor/forum-goer had created as a "we should do this". Then I thought it was (b) something one of you guys created as a joke of "those crazies might actually pay for this". Now I am led to believe that (c) they are actually selling a skin with that title and with no concept art.

WHICH ONE OF THESE THREE IS THE TRUTH?

edit: we are now at Poe's Law of Spaceship Pictures

They created this and several other skins after the original Kickstarter campaign because during transition of stuff between Kickstarter and their account system, lots of people ended up with $5 in RSI credit, but there was nothing in the system that cost $5, so people asked for something to spend the credit on and CIG made these.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
So CIG is officially on record as saying they can't disclose how they are spending the money because they might not be spending the money in ways the backers would approve of.

brakanjan
May 26, 2014

sorla78 posted:

None of their business, just tell them to grant the refund for not delivering on time.

Tell them you were secretly in love with Sandi as you thought she was available and a kind and humble person with great social skills and you just can't handle the lies anymore. Or just simply add the suicide pic from the op.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

sorla78 posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5691637/#Comment_5691637

1) Imagine you live a responsible fiscal life (whatever that means, it's kinda part of the problem here.)

2) Now imagine your parents saw your bank records, your grandparents, your significant other, their parents and grandparents...

3) Would they all have the same opinion of how you spent your money? Would any of them NOT have a single criticism of how you spent your money? They care about you, so they will always find someway in their minds for you to improve on how you're doing things.

4) Which one of them would be right? You, who are spending the money for you, or them, people who care about you and only want what's best for you, but don't live your life and know your requirements?

6) Now imagine you do this with nearly ONE MILLION parents who care about you. And the press.

Is this guy a CIG forum mod or something? Thats totally incoherent and its ominous they're taking a line on not disclosing the expenses of their crowdsourced project. I mean ominous in the way a bloody knife is long after the stabbing.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

sorla78 posted:

If my parents loaned me thousands of dollars for a specific reason then they sure as poo poo have the right to criticize my spending habits if it's blow going up my nose daily.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I honestly thought this was just a forums warrior when I read the quote, but then I clicked on the link and saw developer under his name

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

nopantsjack posted:

Is this guy a CIG forum mod or something? Thats totally incoherent and its ominous they're taking a line on not disclosing the expenses of their crowdsourced project. I mean ominous in the way a bloody knife is long after the stabbing.

He is the Community Manager and had about 27 jobs before, now we know why.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Chocobo posted:

So CIG is officially on record as saying they can't disclose how they are spending the money because they might not be spending the money in ways the backers would approve of.

You don't want to know how a sausage is made.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Octopode posted:

They created this and several other skins after the original Kickstarter campaign because during transition of stuff between Kickstarter and their account system, lots of people ended up with $5 in RSI credit, but there was nothing in the system that cost $5, so people asked for something to spend the credit on and CIG made these.

They haven't been "made". You can't use any of that poo poo even for the ships that are "in game".

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 5, 2015

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine telling your parents or loved ones you spent $100 on imaginary space ships.

I'd hide too

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

sorla78 posted:

...What?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

sorla78 posted:

I'm sorry, but this does not make any sense. I mean, if you do live a responsible fiscal lif...oh gently caress it.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Literal mental illness right there.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

nopantsjack posted:

Can you fly around in the endeavour or whatever the $900 ship is?

Are there any supes expensive ships you can't

you could print out the jpeg and make a paper airplane i guess

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

sorla78 posted:

Did... did he just compare a multi-million dollar corporation of 300+ people spread over 4 global offices to a college kid's bank account?

:psyduck:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

sorla78 posted:

Star Citizen. Transparency. Open Development.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

OhDearGodNo posted:

Did... did he just compare a multi-million dollar corporation of 300+ people spread over 4 global offices to a college kid's bank account?

:psyduck:

Yeah, leaking a dev built and leaking fiscal insanity - what a hire.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Madcosby posted:

Imagine telling your parents or loved ones you spent $100 on imaginary space ships.

I'd hide too

I'm stealing that and infusing it into the brown sea.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

You see financial responsibility is like a pizza. Ask 20 people what their favorite pizza is and you'll get 30 different answers! It's crazy!

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Not sure if this has been posted yet:

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Dont make me want pizza now

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Chris Cooley is my Life Coach.
Yikes guys. No studio or publisher is ever going to release financials on a big project. Yes, even a crowdsourced one.

Edit: That CM was silly for even trying to answer the question with anything other than a flat "no".

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

CashEnsign posted:

no dw just in time m8

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I HAVE BEEN INFUSED WITH GREAT PURPOSE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGRsEF953n0

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Bootcha posted:

:perfect:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

CashEnsign posted:

Peroxide Cowboy
Nov 30, 2013

Bootcha posted:

omg goldmine

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Captain Satire posted:

Yikes guys. No studio or publisher is ever going to release financials on a big project. Yes, even a crowdsourced one.

Edit: That CM was silly for even trying to answer the question with anything other than a flat "no".

If they sue The Escapist for libel they may have no choice but to.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

sorla78 posted:

:lol: they are loving broke

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Well - shows that CIG doesn't seem to have a good PR guy looking out for them. Otherwise someone would have told those employees to sit tight and shut the gently caress up about anything that relates to their current drama, guess Sandi doesn't like big hairy balls other than hers in that company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Chris Cooley is my Life Coach.

OhDearGodNo posted:

If they sue The Escapist for libel they may have no choice but to.

Possibly. But even then it I doubt it would be made available to the public.

• Locked thread