Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

adorai posted:

for reference, at our primary location we have 6 hosts, 30TB, and 225 VMs. We replaced 20U of netapp with 3U of Nimble and increased our performance.

That's... impressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is Nimble's proprietary file system/algorithm/whatever worth it? It's one option we're looking at right now.

We have a 1u nimble for 8 blades running 30 vms, and a cisco ucs running another 13 vms. We're running at 85% ssd cache rate so every server flies. It's fantastic tech.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Goddamn, what did you replace?
a 3240 with 48 600GB 10k drives and 28 1TB 7200 rpm drives. It was actually 36TB of nimble, and we saved more space with their inline compression than with dedupe on netapp.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:aaaaa:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jesus. We're looking at 50TB disk min due to DR.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Okay, now I'm interested.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Jesus. We're looking at 50TB disk min due to DR.
We looked at buying a new netapp 8020 to replace our 3240, and we would then have moved our 3240 to our secondary datacenter to replace the existing netapp there. We were able to buy two identical 36TB Nimble arrays for less than just the one netapp 8020, and the nimble arrays had 5 years of maintenance on the quote instead of 3.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I spent a few hours last night reading up on Nimble. Cool stuff, gonna be a hard sell to the boss man. None of our consulting companies are really taking that solution seriously. We're pretty old school in only using proven technologies. That's why our ERP is still an old AS400.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

None of our consulting companies are really taking that solution seriously.
because a profit of 25% of the sale price is less on nimble than it is on EMC or netapp.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Nimble is valued at less than 5% of what EMC is. They could fold or get bought out easily

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Roargasm posted:

Nimble is valued at less than 5% of what EMC is. They could fold or get bought out easily

They're also due to become (I think this year I read) one of the only profitable storage companies (other than EMC and Netapp) that has NOT been bought out. They seem mature, stable, growing, and everything I read about their file/storage system sounds fantastic.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Roargasm posted:

A buyout is possible, but i doubt they fold.

edit: anyone remember netapp support back in the day? When you called and got someone knowledgeable every time because it was small and the engineers answered the phone? That's nimble today.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
So what you're all saying is that I should start buying shares of Nimble.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

I blocked my boss's number so he tried emailing me instead.

gently caress off. Now I'm seriously forwarding all these messages to his boss and making sure he's aware that the incumbent IT guy is incompetent.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Methanar posted:

gently caress off. Now I'm seriously forwarding all these messages to his boss and making sure he's aware that the incumbent IT guy is incompetent.

Yes. Way to do the correct thing.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
We've been doing a lot of research lately into moving from Rackspace to Azure (for various reasons from too many downed servers / lb's to new customers asking for EU datacenters that follow certain laws). Now Rackspace is partenering with AWS (similar to their partnership with Azure for their Azure Professional Services). Looks like it's not so much a technical decision anymore but an 'abandon ship' decision.

Methanar posted:

holy poo poo lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

Lmao I'm proud of you

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Methanar posted:

Why did you set so much stuff up to break after you had left to make that guy look bad :rolleye:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

kensei posted:

That's... impressive

To be fair you could also replace 20U of old NetApp with 2U of new NetApp at this point. Or 3U of Tegile. Or 3U of TinTri. Or a number of other products. Cheap flash means you no longer need to buy a ton of spindles to provide IOPs so rack space goes way down. It's just the over-arching trend in the industry.

CLAM DOWN posted:

They're also due to become (I think this year I read) one of the only profitable storage companies (other than EMC and Netapp) that has NOT been bought out. They seem mature, stable, growing, and everything I read about their file/storage system sounds fantastic.

I'd be surprised. They're growing revenue year over year, but also expenses. They've lost more money each year than the previous and they are still spending at a good clip. They've probably got another year or two before they reach profitability.

adorai posted:

because a profit of 25% of the sale price is less on nimble than it is on EMC or netapp.

It has a lot more to do with vendor relationship management. We make more selling Nimble than NetApp a lot of times because the NetApp AMs will try to force us to cut our margins to the bone to get price competitive. But the particulars of deal registration sometimes means you don't have a choice.

psydude posted:

So what you're all saying is that I should start buying shares of Nimble.

Don't buy stock in any storage company.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Anyone have any suggestions for a good asset tracking system for MSPs? Right now we've just got invoices and warranty PDFs per client, but I'd like to get it sorted into a proper system.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

I've been in a work coma for a year, did I miss anything?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I've been in a work coma for a year, did I miss anything?

blackswordCA got a different job and the stories stopped.

Then his brother from another mother larchesdanrew came to us and our lives have been forever made schadenfreudier.

Also both Dick Trauma and nitrogen found pods and we hates them now precioussss.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Potato Alley posted:

Also both Dick Trauma and nitrogen found pods and we hates them now precioussss.

We need a book on how long DT's pod lasts this time.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KennyTheFish posted:

We need a book on how long DT's pod lasts this time.

Based off how much luck with jobs he had in the past: Christmas Eve.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Methanar posted:

Haha god drat, that guy is getting really desperate. Just remember to stay strong when the boss inevitably calls you for help. If you want to help make sure you get paid well, otherwise remember you dont owe them a thing.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Didn't that guy write you up for being incompetent or something? You should reply back to the mail with a copy of whatever he yelled at you about.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I can't fathom what levels of mental illness I would have to be enduring to believe that an ex employee is somehow required to help me with my systems.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Potato Alley posted:

blackswordCA got a different job and the stories stopped.

Then his brother from another mother larchesdanrew came to us and our lives have been forever made schadenfreudier.

And MJP left his crappy situation and got a job at a chill radio station.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Sickening posted:

I can't fathom what levels of mental illness I would have to be enduring to believe that an ex employee is somehow required to help me with my systems.
Incompetentia nervosa

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sickening posted:

Seriously. I've gotten calls from past employers or coworkers that I'm friendly with and have been willing to lend a hand. But they were polite enough to never take more than 15 minutes of my time very rarely or to pay me an acceptable rate if it was going to take longer.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Methanar posted:

Was this the guy who refused to give you a good reference because he didn't know what the technical stuff meant so he just ignored your achievements there ?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Methanar posted:

Well I just finished my last day at my first garbageman-with-domain-admin job. So I won't be spamming the thread as much as I have been for a while.
There was some evaluation sheets that were made up for me. Good to know I'm a solid 2/5 on all rubrics. Some of the comments were along the lines of "short attention span". I feel extremely stubbed and cheated because I can't get a good reference out of this job.

gently caress that guy.
This is why we're telling you to add a gently caress-You Tax.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Your references should be the series of increasingly desperate emails begging you to fix their broken poo poo.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

gently caress that guy.
This is why we're telling you to add a gently caress-You Tax.

$100/hr
4 hour minimum is pretty standard.

I can only imagine what the gently caress-you tax is gonna look like on that one.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Oh man, that time of the year again. Need to fill out my self-appraisal. How do I say "gently caress management" in the nicest way possible?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tailored Sauce posted:

Oh man, that time of the year again. Need to fill out my self-appraisal. How do I say "gently caress management" in the nicest way possible?
letter of resignation

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

$100/hr
4 hour minimum is pretty standard.

I can only imagine what the gently caress-you tax is gonna look like on that one.

Nothing good can come of working for this nutjob at any price. Even if Methanar gets a contract in writing this guy seems like enough of a shithead to try to weasel out of it, and it's not worth the stress of going to small-claims court or whatever. Send a curt response that you do not work for XYZCorp any more, block all of his email/phone/SMS messages, and move on with life.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
^^^^

This was my stance last week too.

Vulture Culture posted:

letter of resignation

This works wonders, especially when poo poo hits the fan after you leave.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Based off how much luck with jobs he had in the past: Christmas Eve.

YOU FUCKERS

I think I'll make it to at least the 1 year mark, unless something goes horribly wrong at my performance review. It's possible because this place has turned out to be just as uncommunicative as the last. Am I doing a good job? A bad one? The CEO and my boss have cancelled all but two of our bi-weekly meetings since I started. I have had two meetings with my boss since I started seven months ago.

I have my 2016 budget prepared although no one asked me to make one. I'm hoping that by meeting with my boss to review it I'll get a sense if she's already disconnected from me or if there's some other reason she doesn't talk to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coredump posted:

No they bounce off into the Atlantic as they go north. I used to watch hurricanes pretty close during some pretty bad drought times in the southeast. If this hurricane acts like ones from 2007 and 2008 it will wonder off into the ocean.

Called it.