Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I want this whole thing to implode and watch the tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

so is this game supposed to be a freespace knockoff with some of EVE's ridiculous number crunching and grinding along with lovely facebook game tie-ins? Freespace 2 was pretty cool but Volition owns that.

I seriously don't understand what this game is supposed to be other than space nerds jerking off about their spaceships. If it was a spaceship model sim then why the gently caress has it taken them 4 years to make some spaceship models.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Cowman posted:

so is this game supposed to be a freespace knockoff with some of EVE's ridiculous number crunching and grinding along with lovely facebook game tie-ins? Freespace 2 was pretty cool but Volition owns that.

I seriously don't understand what this game is supposed to be other than space nerds jerking off about their spaceships. If it was a spaceship model sim then why the gently caress has it taken them 4 years to make some spaceship models.

I found this on Christ Robert's laptop desktop:

Star_Citizen_Design_Doc.txt:

code:
1.) Collect nerd wish fulfillment money.
2.) Coke.
3.) Coke.
4.) Coke.
5.) COKE.
6.) WHERE HAS ALL THE loving COKE GONE?
7.) Release Idris LTI
8.) Repeat steps 2-6.

PS: Don't hire hairy vaginas or icky minorities.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

How many different ship jpgs have they sold since this thing started? How many of those have advanced past jpg enough to even just look at in the space garage?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Potato Salad posted:

Are you Hendrick Tallardar?

Hi

How are you?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

robot roll call posted:

How many different ship jpgs have they sold since this thing started? How many of those have advanced past jpg enough to even just look at in the space garage?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ship-specs

all flight ready are flying jpegs now everything else are wallpapers

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

robot roll call posted:

I think they should just release the whole thing as a PnP RPG book, I guess a hundred million is a sort of big budget for a book but at least it would have all the features they promised and they could ship backers little spaceship figurines or star citizen themed counters or something

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Citizen Con 2015, Chris Roberts strides on stage:

"Greetings fellow citizens, unfortunately there is no money left and the game has been cancelled but every backer gets a free hour in the ball pit!"

Crowd cheers and ululates as we see a piece of paper with UNFINISHED BALL PIT JPEG written on it.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Bootcha posted:

I HAVE BEEN INFUSED WITH GREAT PURPOSE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGRsEF953n0

This is great.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

EminusSleepus posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ship-specs

all flight ready are flying jpegs now everything else are wallpapers

Are those variants just slightly different versions of the same ships to inflate the "flight ready" numbers?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Most variants are really the same ship with different guns/shields/whatever installed.

Most ships have one variant that's actually a different ship with a similar looking hull.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

nopantsjack posted:

Citizen Con 2015, Chris Roberts strides on stage:

"Greetings fellow citizens, unfortunately there is no money left and the game has been cancelled but every backer gets a free hour in the ball pit!"

Crowd cheers and ululates as we see a piece of paper with UNFINISHED BALL PIT JPEG written on it.

I pissed in the ball pit. It was me. I admit it.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

robot roll call posted:

Are those variants just slightly different versions of the same ships to inflate the "flight ready" numbers?

yes and no. the current flyable variants are yes..those stucked jpegs variants are unique hulls some have very distinct look but some like the red-headed-bastard-ship-that-ChewBenCa-hates-Cutlass-Variants have little to not so apparent visual looks.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Banu Merchantman was conceptualized in 2013, no sign of life in 2015.

Except more jpgs.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

It's absolutely insane that people keep throwing money at new ships when they have a backlog of like 20 old ones to finish. I mean, it's insane to me that people are spending that kind of money in the first place but you'd think even the biggest apologist would maybe want them to finish some of these ships they paid for a few years ago before they start selling more.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

They need the money from the new ships I buy to fund the old ships I bought.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Cowman posted:

This post is beautiful because while it is presumably unintentional, it is prefectly designed to troll Ben Lesnick.

Back in the day Lesnick decided that the Freespace games were the boogyman that killed the Wing Commander series. He built it up so much in his head that he would get really angry about how terrible he thought the Freespace games were (this is the same man who declared Wing Commander Arena a great game, in case anyone was still unsure about his partiality). IIRC he even banned people for speaking positively about Freespace back when he ruled the WC News forums with an iron fist.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

... Superficially, this all seems incredibly elementary, but I can see how you can coast through life and not pick up social maturity....

I do disagree with one thing: Corpsealot points out many times that he's on the backers side and that nobody wants everyone's money to go to waste. I do, but I'm probably an outlier. I really wouldn't mind watching a lot of people get hurt. Most of the rest of the video is okay with me though.

Ignoring the many people that have given money to the project for a moment. Does wishing for something that would inevitably lead to, among other things, 200+ people losing their jobs and to crowdfunding for independent game devs to dry up overnight, exhibit "social maturity"?

It seems to me, at least intuitively that this is not the case. Perhaps you can enlighten me since this is all "incredibly elementary" to you.

I don't agree with some of the things CIG does, but I certainly don't hope they will fail. The pain from the fallout wouldn't just be limited to people with a fondness for collecting flying jpegs.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
So when refunds happen, does the counter tick... backwards?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jethro_E7 posted:

Guess.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
last I checked was about ethics in video game journalism last I checked was about ethics in video game journalism last I checked was about ethics in video game journalism last I checked was about ethics in video game journalism last I checked was about ethics in video game journalism last I checked was about ethics in video game journalism last I checked was about ethics in video game journalism last I checked was about ethics in video game journalism last I checked was about ethics in video game journalism last I checked was about ethics in video game journalism

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

This is extremely my jam. Please post all good, exasperated rants in this thread.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I haven't looked at Star Citizen stuff closely since the kickstarter but I'm assuming the fans still buying jpegs are expecting to have a full game at some time. What's the consensus on when that will be in their eyes - 2017? 2018? Later? Much later?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

madcow posted:

I don't agree with some of the things CIG does, but I certainly don't hope they will fail. The pain from the fallout wouldn't just be limited to people with a fondness for collecting flying jpegs.

Maybe when this whole thing explodes and everyone finally realizes that no, Star Citizen is not real some of them will have a shock to their system to maybe bring in some reflection on themselves and better their lives because of it. Just maybe they will grow a little bit and continue life a little bit wiser. Also it's going to be real hilarious seeing how die-hards that never had a hope rationalize the injustice in the world when reality washes over them.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

KakerMix posted:

Maybe when this whole thing explodes and everyone finally realizes that no, Star Citizen is not real some of them will have a shock to their system to maybe bring in some reflection on themselves and better their lives because of it. Just maybe they will grow a little bit and continue life a little bit wiser. Also it's going to be real hilarious seeing how die-hards that never had a hope rationalize the injustice in the world when reality washes over them.

Can't wait to see the faces of those who're >1K dollars in when CIG announces bankruptcy / closure.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

madcow posted:

Ignoring the many people that have given money to the project for a moment. Does wishing for something that would inevitably lead to, among other things, 200+ people losing their jobs and to crowdfunding for independent game devs to dry up overnight, exhibit "social maturity"?

It seems to me, at least intuitively that this is not the case. Perhaps you can enlighten me since this is all "incredibly elementary" to you.

You could probably make the argument that the spectacular failure of Star Citizen would be a net positive for people who want easy access to more good games, or even that the ongoing waterfall of backer money represents not only poor money management on the part of Star Citizens but also a precedent that will have negative effects on crowdfunding for years and years, specifically the idea that promising new features is more profitable than actually producing features. And the idea that we have some responsibility to support CIG to protect independent game devs is too laughable to even really address.

So when I put it that way, yeah, gently caress 'em, I hope this project fails and I hope that the people worth anything find new jobs without too much interruption

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Anyone who could be deeply wounded by the failure of SC has led an extremely privileged life.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

madcow posted:

just like Crytek, those good developers in CIG will be poached in due time so don't fret.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jethro_E7 posted:

the sad thing to consider is that refunds are a drop in the bucket so far

Where outside of this thread are people getting the knowledge that refunds are even possible, plus pessimism about the game? Who besides us is really paying attention to derek smart's antics? The escapist is the first real outlet to publish anything negative about star citizen, everything else has been really wishy-washy about the general lack of progress. Lots of people don't pay super-close attention.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

no_recall posted:

Can't wait to see the faces of those who're >1K dollars in when CIG announces bankruptcy / closure.

if you want a preview, just look up images from the 2008 financial collapse, and then pretend they have more chins and less hair

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Klyith posted:

Where outside of this thread are people getting the knowledge that refunds are even possible, plus pessimism about the game? Who besides us is really paying attention to derek smart's antics? The escapist is the first real outlet to publish anything negative about star citizen, everything else has been really wishy-washy about the general lack of progress. Lots of people don't pay super-close attention.

This. Dance puppets dance.

Derek Smart is your God now.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

shadow puppet of a posted:

This is extremely my jam. Please post all good, exasperated rants in this thread.

How about this:

"You are getting hosed in the rear end and are asking for seconds - and they didn't even have the common courtesy to lube up first."

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The thing is, the best outcome for the most people probably actually would be for star citizen to come out and be the ultimate god game so many cultists are furiously telling themselves it's going to be. It would be a lot better than the alternative.

But that's not going to happen. And what is going to happen instead is going to be hilarious. It's just a wonderful situation all around. If this train somehow keeps on chugging straight ahead even though the train tracks completely stop a mile out of the station because we need another $90 million to make a picture of more train tracks that would be amazing. But the alternative is a trainwreck so hilariously and unnecessarily dramatic that it will be impossible not to point and chuckle at it. And realistically, at this point there's no way we're not getting the trainwreck.

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Trapezium Dave posted:

I haven't looked at Star Citizen stuff closely since the kickstarter but I'm assuming the fans still buying jpegs are expecting to have a full game at some time. What's the consensus on when that will be in their eyes - 2017? 2018? Later? Much later?

Two weeks.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

Klyith posted:

It could create quite an interest if the counter showed a deficit for the first time. The effect of DS on the greymarket is being discussed for the first time.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

You could probably make the argument that the spectacular failure of Star Citizen would be a net positive for people who want easy access to more good games..

I would be interested to see how that would argument would work because the way I see it, it would be a net negative since it would just lead to more formulaic, generic CoD and WoW-lite crap. More 'safe money' game design and less risk and innovation.

Also this idea that Star Citizen is somehow sucking up all the money that would otherwise go to other "good" games is just "too laughable to even really address".

quote:

...specifically the idea that promising new features is more profitable than actually producing features.

Promising new features doesn't get you more profit if you end up spending that money on trying to develop said features. The only way it would be more profitable is if you just ran off with all the money right after the funding ending or just delivered the final product without them, which would be patently obvious to all those involved.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Any chance Chris Roberts ends up in jail for fraud and embezzlement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Smoothrich posted:

Any chance Chris Roberts ends up in jail for fraud and embezzlement?

with the cult fans they have now? he might be absolved instantly whatever the heck he does, he is god to them

• Locked thread