Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

:smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Breetai posted:

Can someone who backed this game and bought a $200+ ship and has later reneged please explain, with the understanding that I'm not asking this to be judgmental but rather to get insight into a thought process, why you would spend more than $60 on a video game?

I'll chime in here with a honest answer and it boiled down to time, life, now that I'm older is taking up more time then i used to have as a stupid nerdy 16 year old that could spend all weekend playing games or even focusing that much on just one game, so i spent $350 for the freelancer collectors edition and a retaliator back in 2013 because I thought we would be getting freelancer 2.0 and this way I could skip to the ships I wanted to fly and also nor really worry about them blowing up due to LTI

Fast forward to 2015 and I am getting the gently caress off this stupid stupid stupid pile of poo poo train streaming at full speed off the oncoming cliff, my request for a refund is ticket 133,900ish and I'm waiting for a reply after having this sent to me

"Hi there,
Thank you for your request. Just to confirm you would like to refund your account and have it closed?
Best,
Sandi

so anyone thinking about giving a single dollar to this game at this stage or has already given them money, get your money out and back up from this stupid poo poo

Time removed just in case they do some crazy poo poo like hunt me down on SA

Scarecow fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 5, 2015

VenusRedux
Oct 5, 2015

Zeike posted:

lol
Everyone sells ships. Also could you guys not make this game fail, I got some ships to sell tia

Yea everyone has a reason to be an rear end in a top hat when they have a stake in it, especially when they profit.

Ships becoming free means there is incentive to be okay with the game not releasing.

I don't care who makes money from this, I just care when they bullshit me.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I hope that SC fails, so that maybe people stop pre-ordering games and signing-up for early access. Also, I hate video games.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Derek please post here again

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Well, yeah. C&Ds should always be passed to legal. As should the PETA protests that will now follow.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Well that Bitpay partnership didn't last long.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 5, 2015

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really looking forward to the guy who narrated Unsolved Mysteries to explain CIG to me in some business related Investigation Discovery crime show.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Croberts complains that writing up some angry words takes him precious 8 hours he could have spent on the game, but look at Derek Smart. He spends all his free time on bringing CIG down and still has time for a morning swim.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Good to hear that the CIG letter is going through Legal before being posted.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Well that Bitpay partnership didn't last long.

"I want real money" would be a good opening line for citcon.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Michymech posted:

anyone thinking about giving a single dollar to this game at this stage or has already given them money, get your money out and back up from this stupid poo poo

Edit out the time of sent email or they will dump your identity on reddit and deny your refund. I wish I was joking, but I'm not sure I am.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Glad we have so many saviors chiming in

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
If anyone gets denied a refund, post about it here as I'm sure more exposure to your issue will help.

Star Citizen developer CIG threatens legal action over Escapist accusations

Bland reporting until everyone sees what happens.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
You're not allowed to get a refund of your non-existent product if you hurt Chris Roberts feelings. :colbert:

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Get your refund and blame derek smart for it: win-win for everyone

lauresh
Jun 1, 2013

What are we having for dinner?

AP posted:

If anyone gets denied a refund, post about it here as I'm sure more exposure to your issue will help.

Star Citizen developer CIG threatens legal action over Escapist accusations

Bland reporting until everyone sees what happens.

Uggh I loving hate websites that autoplay stupid videos in the sidebar

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Michymech posted:

Fast forward to 2015 and I am getting the gently caress off this stupid stupid stupid pile of poo poo train streaming at full speed off the oncoming cliff, my request for a refund is ticket 133,900ish and I'm waiting for a reply after having this sent to me

Right on. I backed in 2012, thinking this was a game and paying to win (relative, yes) wasn't such a bad idea. Having eaten all that propaganda, marketing and poo poo that they've been spewing out these 3 years. The conclusion is simple, and I hate to quote DS, but "There is no game."

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I have no interest in this game or a interest in spending hundreds of dollars for a conceptual pixel spaceship, but I sensed a powder of drama in this game and it looks like it's about to go off now.

Anyone able to sum up whats happened up until now? :munch:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://youtu.be/82UsZ44AxIA#t=290s

Breaking news footage showing croberts writing his response to The Escapist. I didn't know he was Japanese.

brakanjan
May 26, 2014
I wonder if anyone has tried to put a dollar value to all the free gifts everyone has sent CIG over the years.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I have no interest in this game or a interest in spending hundreds of dollars for a conceptual pixel spaceship, but I sensed a powder of drama in this game and it looks like it's about to go off now.

TLDR: The Escapist has several more hours to comply lest they face CIG in court.

I pray hope they don't back down.

We need a :spacemunch:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Has anyone successfully got a refund yet? I've put a post in SC trades too just in case anyone is looking to buy ships still (they won't be).

Woah loads of people PMed me about it.

drat it should've asked for way more, ah well I can't change the price now.

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 5, 2015

brakanjan
May 26, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGRsEF953n0

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Why did you guys buy hundred dollar fake ships? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy :sigh:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dytClaPS1xo

:viggo:

lauresh
Jun 1, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The problem with that is that there's been so much drama especially in the last week that summarising everything that's happened would end up being a derek smart length blog post.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

This whiny manchild has convinced me. Time to start investing.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

no_recall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_orOT3Prwg
Edit: Livestreamer from Japan, didn't know how to deal with fire. Hilarity ensues.

not really, a lady died from that moron's idiocy

http://www.sankei.com/affairs/news/151004/afr1510040011-n1.html

quote:

House fire, one fire woman in three buildings died Tokyo Shinagawa

4:00 pm 2 15 minutes around, it was fire from Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo Ebara of the apartment, two-story total of about 240 square meters wooden burned down. Baked part in Moeutsu~tsu to three buildings, such as adjacent to the apartment, it was put out after about 6 hours. Found the bodies of one woman from the ruins of apartment buildings, the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department Ebara station is residents unemployed, I'm in a hurry to confirm the identity and look Jutaniki 以子's (78). According to the police, the first floor of the interior was burning fiercely. Other residents want, such as shelter, was not injured.

[video type="youtube"]6vzzgBKCGtk[/video]

Maldoror fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 5, 2015

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

From the moment I heard about Star Citizen and realized how absurd its scope was, I knew it would blow up into some schadenfreude down the line, but it's surpassed my expectations in such a beautiful goddamn way.

The only way this could get any better is if, somehow, this becomes the second video game to sink the economy of Rhode Island.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

So Gamersgate is the reason why we can't have Star Citizen

I loving KNEW IT!

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

brakanjan posted:

I wonder if anyone has tried to put a dollar value to all the free gifts everyone has sent CIG over the years.

I believe it is around $90 million at this point?

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Trapezium Dave posted:

What I mean is, for the kinds of investors with serious money in this hypothetical scenario, what benefit does buying into Star Citizen give instead of starting a complete new game free of debt, drama and expectations.

I know it is hard to hear things outside of this echo chamber, wherein 'lol vaporware' is continually bandied about and has been since the game was first announced, but you have a company that already has staff/studios established, work clearly done and underway, a user base of close to 1 million users before the game is even out... it is a pretty obvious decision from a business standpoint.

All this bullshit drama going on, no one cares outside a little contingent of superfans and their detractors. Any would-be investor would look at that article the Escapist published (assuming it is even still there come later this week) and recognize it for what it is, unsubstantiated tabloid level garbage.

You know what people really do if they experience discrimination in the workplace? They get a lawyer and/or file a complaint with the EEOC, among other things. They don't run to some glorified gaming blog, using an inexperienced contract writer, and hope to stick it to their former employer with bad publicity.

Anyways, the idea that the crowd funding is going to suddenly dry up anytime soon is very unlikely, despite what the great goon collective says.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

no_recall posted:

TLDR: The Escapist has several more hours to comply lest they face CIG in court.

I pray hope they don't back down.

We need a :spacemunch:

Seems that one of the stakeholders at defy media is Zelnickmedia. Zelnickmedia was founded by Strauss Zelnick who is also Chairman and CEO at Take-Two Interactive. Take Two shares some interesting history with Derek Smart and his trainwreck Battlecruiser 3000 AD. Maybe the older gents at SA remember that DS filed a lawsuit against Take-two. Just wondering loud here what's going to happen today :)

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqeN6hj4dZU

SC! not! lol

lauresh
Jun 1, 2013

Tindahbawx posted:

I believe it is around $90 million at this point?

That doesn't include all the beer, pizza and other random poo poo pubbies (and goons alike) have sent them.

Edit: just ask dickwulf ;)

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Jesus. You guys were right. It's been deleted. :aaa:

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

sorla78 posted:

Seems that one of the stakeholders at defy media is Zelnickmedia. Zelnickmedia was founded by Strauss Zelnick who is also Chairman and CEO at Take-Two Interactive. Take Two shares some interesting history with Derek Smart and his trainwreck Battlecruiser 3000 AD. Maybe the older gents at SA remember that DS filed a lawsuit against Take-two. Just wondering loud here what's going to happen today :)

well enemies that survived together becomes great friends!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

madcow posted:

You know what people really do if they experience discrimination in the workplace? They get a lawyer and/or file a complaint with the EEOC, among other things.

Yes, this is what happens in 100% cases, very true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Diff fire. Neogaf posted the same, too lazy to dig the link up.

• Locked thread