Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Arduinos are sooooooo easy to use. I didn't know how great I had it until this class made me learn ARM on a discovery board. It takes hours to do something you could make in ten minutes with an Arduino.

Yeah I have a few discovery boards, I wrote a tutorial on how to set them up on Mac OS X, my toolchain is ready to go and even then they're all sitting in my drawer as I fart around on $1.70 Digispark clones. The Arduino toolchain is so nice to just hack out stuff even if you're giving up a lot of headroom to the bootloader and the IDE sucks.

One day I'll actually make something useful. Current project is trying to figure out how to interact with an RS232 chip so I can speak SSM2 over an OBD port to my Subaru and pull a variable.

edit: there's an arduino core provided by ST for most of the discovery boards so I guess I could still sorta reuse them if I wanted to write my own drivers for 99% of the nice hardware that the discovery boards have and the arduinos don't.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Just got back from The Martian. Best movie I've seen in a long time. Had several nerdgasms throughout, and was very happy about how faithful they were to the source material.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Got home from work.

Opened my bedroom door.

Grey blur shoots out of the room making pissy cat-like noises, and heads for the litter box.

I loving swear he was out of my room when I left. And I know drat well the door wasn't closed all the way (guessing the a/c coming on pushed it the rest of the way closed). And even after that, he's still curled up under my desk.... rimming himself.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah I have a few discovery boards, I wrote a tutorial on how to set them up on Mac OS X, my toolchain is ready to go and even then they're all sitting in my drawer as I fart around on $1.70 Digispark clones. The Arduino toolchain is so nice to just hack out stuff even if you're giving up a lot of headroom to the bootloader and the IDE sucks.

One day I'll actually make something useful. Current project is trying to figure out how to interact with an RS232 chip so I can speak SSM2 over an OBD port to my Subaru and pull a variable.

edit: there's an arduino core provided by ST for most of the discovery boards so I guess I could still sorta reuse them if I wanted to write my own drivers for 99% of the nice hardware that the discovery boards have and the arduinos don't.

Could I make an interface between my car stereo and a Bluetooth audio system?

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

blk posted:

Today I learned that I'd been waving to Linus Torvalds:

Nice.. Please hire him a prostitute or something.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

bandman posted:

Just got back from The Martian. Best movie I've seen in a long time. Had several nerdgasms throughout, and was very happy about how faithful they were to the source material.

They left out the bit with the "Watney Triangle" and how he claims himself the King of Mars.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Holy poo poo.

That speeduino is awesome. I'm going to see if my friend with the 16v gti will let me use it for an experiment.
Hell, I might buy a couple, one for the Mazda, and one for the 600r ninja motor I have...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MustardFacial posted:

They left out the bit with the "Watney Triangle" and how he claims himself the King of Mars.
Kate Mara isn't told she needs to consider cannibalism either.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
It's probably worth mentioning that the name "Megasquirt" came from the original prototype - an Arduino Mega fuel injection (fuel squirter if you will) controller - MegaSquirt. the ATMega2560 chip they use is more powerful than an awful lot of ECUs.

To add to gently caress Cancer chat, dad's best friend and coworker (2nd in command) of 15 years passed away this afternoon. Two months ago he was fine, started having some migraines, went to the doctor and rushed to hospital 3 weeks ago with the MRI showing 13 tumors in his brain. They got the largest one out, size of a golf ball, but it never looked good... They gave him a week two weeks ago. It's just like him to have to prove them wrong.

I had the privilege of working with him a few times, and I've known him nearly as long as I can remember - he was a top bloke. 20 years in the navy, one of the kindest people I've ever met, and wit sharper than a katana. A month ago dad was discussing retirement plans with him...

At least we got to say goodbye.

gently caress cancer
gently caress it so much

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah, that's probably dead on correct

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

Could I make an interface between my car stereo and a Bluetooth audio system?

Depends what you want to do (the car stereo probably isn't exposing much that you can work with, but if you have a steering wheel harness or something you could probably splice into that).

There's a few Arduino-style boards with Bluetooth support, but I haven't used them.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

With a relay board: Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT5fJBos-X4

The larger Arduinos can replicate most of the functions of something like Megasquirt. Granted, its not made to compete with Megasquirt or other dedicated ECU solutions.

http://speeduino.com/wiki/index.php/Speeduino
Forgive me for the very basic question, but how does this differ from Torque? I haven't used either but all this MCM watching has gotten me curious.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

scuz posted:

Forgive me for the very basic question, but how does this differ from Torque? I haven't used either but all this MCM watching has gotten me curious.

Torque is, if I recall correctly, just an OBDII bluetooth ECU monitor. I don't think its an actual ECU.

Speeduino is a full on ECU.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Arduino nerds, I was bought one a while back but have yet to look into what I can use it for. Could I be a complete dork and stick it between an audio system and something like a NES controller to select stuff onscreen instead of using the typically terrible remote/unit controls?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

88h88 posted:

Arduino nerds, I was bought one a while back but have yet to look into what I can use it for. Could I be a complete dork and stick it between an audio system and something like a NES controller to select stuff onscreen instead of using the typically terrible remote/unit controls?

Something like this?

http://poorstudenthobbyist.blogspot.com/2013/07/how-controller-works.html

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Torque is, if I recall correctly, just an OBDII bluetooth ECU monitor. I don't think its an actual ECU.

Speeduino is a full on ECU.
Way bitchin, thanks. Time to learns me some things about carmputers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

scuz posted:

Way bitchin, thanks. Time to learns me some things about carmputers.

I might start an ECU/Car Wiring Thread, seems to be enough interest.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I shouldn't get a VR6 engine with compression issues to swap in to my MK4, right? And I absolutely positively shouldn't convert it to rear wheel drive, right?

CommieGIR posted:

:dance:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

CommieGIR posted:

Yes please do this I want to learn all the poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I'd love to have somewhere to talk about the weird projects I have on the go, might actually inspire me to finish one.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Pretty much! Thanks.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CommieGIR posted:

Thanks for making that, I'll be filling it with stupid questions whenever I get around to megasquirt on the E21. Link for the lazy - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745292

Wow between the time zone change and getting less than four hours of sleep last night sucks. Dammit usually I'm good about sleep but this trip and other activities are really messing with my sleep schedule. Going to crash so hard when I get home.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
We need a "crazy ideas" theorycrafting thread so I don't have to poo poo this place up with thoughts like "should I try to fit a Northstar V8 out of a '98 Cadillac into my mk4 Golf?" (CL ad that made me think about this)

scuz fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 5, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

scuz posted:

We need a "crazy ideas" theorycrafting thread so I don't have to poo poo this place up with thoughts like "should I try to fit a Northstar V8 out of a '98 Cadillac into my mk4 Golf?"

We had the Engineering thread.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
How are the new Jeep Cherokee's? Did Fiat manage to fix Chrysler? Or are they still the worst?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

How are the new Jeep Cherokee's? Did Fiat manage to fix Chrysler? Or are they still the worst?

The XJ was awesome :colbert:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Depends what you want to do (the car stereo probably isn't exposing much that you can work with, but if you have a steering wheel harness or something you could probably splice into that).

There's a few Arduino-style boards with Bluetooth support, but I haven't used them.

The stereo has an expansion board connector with support for track titles and everything, but I haven't been able to find specs online ever. :(

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I've lived in hot climates for far too long. It's 60* out, 70 in my house, and I'm wearing flannel pajama pants and a fleece sweater and freezing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

OK, I may need to post this in the new ECU/wiring thread, but all the discussion made me remember a sidelined project I have.
I picked up an '88 Olds digital dash to potentially use in my '70 Cutlass. It's actually pretty simple. For the most part, it uses dicrete standard GM sensors: oil pressure and water temp are the usual sensors one would use for analog gauges, and the speedo is GM VSS. There is one exception. The tachometer is driven not from ignition pulses (as the analog version on this same car is), but from the ALDL data stream.
I don't speak ALDL. I had a guyy lines up long ago to build me an adapter that would take in tach pulses form my HEI and then output a fake ALDL data stream with the RPM block having actual data. I was very poor at the time, and missed that opportunity. Does anyone here speak GM ALDL? I got a bunch of info from GM-ECM pages, but I can't wrap my head around it.
My next best option is just wiring up a GM-ECM with the most minimal inputs necessary and stuffing it under the seat. That may be the cheapest//simplest way to go.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

I've lived in hot climates for far too long. It's 60* out, 70 in my house, and I'm wearing flannel pajama pants and a fleece sweater and freezing.

Anything below 70 is too cold to me. When I lived in NY a few years back I was miserable.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

The stereo has an expansion board connector with support for track titles and everything, but I haven't been able to find specs online ever. :(

I'd probably get ahold of a bus pirate or something and see if you can figure out what it's sending.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

Anything below 70 is too cold to me. When I lived in NY a few years back I was miserable.

Glad it's not just me. TX, FL, numerous deployments to the gulf, then three years on Guam, now socal. Me and cold weather do NOT get along.

And apparently we have the same definition of cold.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

scuz posted:

We need a "crazy ideas" theorycrafting thread so I don't have to poo poo this place up with thoughts like "should I try to fit a Northstar V8 out of a '98 Cadillac into my mk4 Golf?" (CL ad that made me think about this)

Bench racing is bad, and you should feel bad.

Anything is doable with enough time and money. It's not our car, so it's not our choice on to whether or not you should.

E: Just got the word, E24 is going to the booth Thursday!!!

mafoose fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 5, 2015

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

mafoose posted:

Bench racing is bad, and you should feel bad.

Anything is doable with enough time and money. It's not our car, so it's not our choice on to whether or not you should.
Had to look up bench racing, but yes, now I feel bad :smith: It's really dumb cuz no matter how much I sit and think about what I should or shouldn't do, I wind up at the same, keep-it-running-til-your-payments-are-up conclusion, so I'll just do that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just got back from watching The Martian, and I just loved every single second of it. Of course they had to leave out some stuff that would probably have taken way too much running time to do justice to, and even though there were a couple I really wished they had left in there (basically more of Watney's various mishaps), I can understand why. Matt Damon was spot-on as Watney, exactly how I imagined him from the book.

Actually what I loved most about it (and about the book, which I read from cover to cover in a day and a half) was the sense of "science, gently caress yeah!" and the feeling that we can do amazing things if we just stop bickering and fighting, start working together instead. I hope the book and the movie will inspire more people to get into the scientific fields, and a likely very naive part of me truly hopes that we can finally give space exploration the funding it so desperately needs and deserves.

Also, a hearty :lol: at the council of Elrond thing with Sean Bean.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 5, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

KozmoNaut posted:

I just got back from watching The Martian, and I just loved every single second of it. Of course they had to leave out some stuff that would probably have taken way too much running time to do justice to, and even though there were a couple I really wished they had left in there (basically more of Watney's various mishaps), I can understand why. Matt Damon was spot-on as Watney, exactly how I imagined him from the book.

Actually what I loved most about it (and about the book, which I read from cover to cover in a day and a half) was the sense of "science, gently caress yeah!" and the feeling that we can do amazing things if we just stop bickering and fighting, start working together instead. I hope the book and the movie will inspire more people to get into the scientific fields, and a likely very naive part of me truly hopes that we can finally give space exploration the funding it so desperately needs and deserves.

Also, a hearty :lol: at the council of Elrond thing with Sean Bean.

I thought that the book did a much better job of explaining how and why Watney came to the conclusions he came to. It really showed the ingenuity of the man, and it's part of the reason why I liked him as a character so much. The movie seemed to gloss over a lot of this (and for good reason, you can't spend screen time explaining the molecular makeup of hydrazine) and just showed him getting to work, as if he knew what he was doing and had a plan all along. But the book really illustrates just how far into uncharted territory he is with everything he does.

For being a PG-13 movie I'm really glad the first word Watney says is "gently caress" and the later on "gently caress you Mars"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I think that you're always going to get cuts of detail like that. However, if they're sensible, the bluray release will have popups to say "hey, here's the science poo poo that's going on here".

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Ahahahaha oh holy poo poo do racist bogans get offended when you interrupt their islamaphobic ranting to correctly point out that EVERY SINGLE ONE of their ideas and suggestions on how to "control the Islamic invasion" has already been tried and tested by the Nazi's when they had a punt at exterminating the Jews.

Somehow in their peanut brains it's different because reasons?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

Ahahahaha oh holy poo poo do racist bogans get offended when you interrupt their islamaphobic ranting to correctly point out that EVERY SINGLE ONE of their ideas and suggestions on how to "control the Islamic invasion" has already been tried and tested by the Nazi's when they had a punt at exterminating the Jews.

Well, you see, the Nazis were white...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ferremit posted:

If the Nazis had been as sober, intelligent and organised as bogans, everyone would've been home for Christmas dinner in 1939.

• Locked thread