Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Could someone explain in non-programmer language what it is about Cryengine that makes it bad for a game of this type? Compared to the Unreal engine, or... Uh, I don't know any other game engines of this type. :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/2phhxu/was_cryengine_3_the_best_choice/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
cig should hire kojima i'm sure they could finish the game in fox engine

also metal gear module :neckbeard:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

SirPhoebos posted:

Can someone explain why everyone was so goddamn excited about the helmet?

I mean yeah I know, blahblahnoatacult, but why that?

I thought at first that it was because the whole thing was funny, and because the only thing chris could get to happen was the helmet flip, but now I'm not so sure it wasn't just because they needed to be excited about something

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Wafflz posted:

Star citizen made by star shitizens :laffo: it would be worse than loverslab*

*If you don't already know what that is then please just disregard this post, I don't want to be the one responsible for introducing you. also don't look it up at work.

I feel like you're really selling the 'slab short here- they've somehow managed to get dozens of different projects headed by small teams of amateurs to all interoperate in a shared framework and have released much more usable content to the public than the Star Citizen team has so far despite being totally unfunded. I mean even in terms of producing .jpgs of fantastical things that appeal strongly to a niche audience it's hard to see how Star Citizen can claim a better track record.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

also metal gear module :neckbeard:

kojima couldn't even finish his last game.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Nicholas posted:

Chris Roberts about to be the second coke machine that Derek Smart has beat up

close thread, best post made

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Nicholas posted:

:perfect:

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Could someone explain in non-programmer language what it is about Cryengine that makes it bad for a game of this type? Compared to the Unreal engine, or... Uh, I don't know any other game engines of this type. :(

it's not good at multiplayer

see> mwo

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwBwMhhjVFs

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Has anybody actually managed to get a refund, and if they have, how long did it take? still not received a reply for my refund for :10bux::10bux::10bux:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Beef Hardcheese posted:

It's a fantastic looking terrible engine that was originally designed purely as a way to showcase graphics card power.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Megaspel posted:

Has anybody actually managed to get a refund, and if they have, how long did it take? still not received a reply for my refund for :10bux::10bux::10bux:

It took me a couple of weeks:

Thanks so much for your mail and continued patience!
Whilst we do not dismiss any refund requests out of hand, yours is certainly unusual. I can see that you have been with us for quite a long while now.
Please note that a refund of this magnitude would have to be discussed internally before I can authorise this.
I would be interested to find out why you are requesting such a final request.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Megaspel posted:

the smart money gets out first. Then once the run on the bank becomes too great they stop giving refunds. Hard to tell when that wil be with the rabid fans tossing money at the lord savoir.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Cryengine is made to do things you would do in an FPS

They never meant it to be an FPS space sim social module life simulator all patched together

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Eonwe posted:

Cryengine is made to do things you would do in an FPS

They never meant it to be an FPS space sim social module life simulator all patched together

It can be used for more than FPS, see Aion and Archeage. Not that Archeage is an example of something good and not an FPS made in Cryengine but it looks pretty.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Its not really even that good at the FPS bit, but it had higher Fidelity.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BluestreakBTHR posted:

It took me a couple of weeks:

Thanks so much for your mail and continued patience!
Whilst we do not dismiss any refund requests out of hand, yours is certainly unusual. I can see that you have been with us for quite a long while now.
Please note that a refund of this magnitude would have to be discussed internally before I can authorise this.
I would be interested to find out why you are requesting such a final request.

How much did you spend?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jst0rm posted:

the smart money gets out first. Then once the run on the bank becomes too great they stop giving refunds. Hard to tell when that wil be with the rabid fans tossing money at the lord savoir.

There is nothing to indicate that refunds have become a significant concern.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Ilustforponydeath posted:

How much did you spend?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I thought Far Cry 3 used Cryengine, but it turns out even Ubisoft thought it was poo poo.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Ilustforponydeath posted:

How much did you spend?

Doesn't matter. I got all back, except $30 from the VD store, and the cost of that awful Redacted Hoodie, which found its way into the bin.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Nicholas posted:

how did it take two weeks for someone to make this incredible joke

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Doesn't matter. I got all back, except $30 from the VD store, and the cost of that awful Redacted Hoodie, which found its way into the bin.

Tell us!

:allears:

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

There is nothing to indicate that refunds have become a significant concern.

Why would they want to indicate that? Any ponzi scheme keeps the facade up until the moment of the crash.

No normal business would be giving any of these people refunds. The difference is they think they can get more money over the long term if people think they can pull their money out at any time.

ninja edit: And they have no choice but to keep getting money as they are possibly almost out of cash.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Doesn't matter.

Well I think it does. Sandi sounded like you were about to steal her retirement fund.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Nicholas posted:

OH SHIIIIIII-- :aaa:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

tooterfish posted:

I thought Far Cry 3 used Cryengine, but it turns out even Ubisoft thought it was poo poo.

An acquaintance of mine, who works in the field (he does some bioinformatics stuff with 3d engines) and he could go on for hours how poo poo the CryEngine is ...

... he is the proud owner of over $2,500 in ship jpegs.

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014
The entertainment today is lacking. Where is the blog post Dr. Smart.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Solvency posted:

I was just sharing a game I like? Guess I'm just trying to fleece goons of cash or something.

They only just got the cash back.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

Nicholas posted:

Everything you need to know about Star Citizen, undoubtably the greatest game never made.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jst0rm posted:

Why would they want to indicate that? Any ponzi scheme keeps the facade up until the moment of the crash.

No normal business would be giving any of these people refunds. The difference is they think they can get more money over the long term if people think they can pull their money out at any time.

ninja edit: And they have no choice but to keep getting money as they are possibly almost out of cash.

Their cash may be low, but with respect to guessing how CIG may be reacting to refund pressure or delaying larger refunds until Satuday's CitCon presentations --

Look at it this way. If we're seeking a very broad ballpark figure on CIG's remaining cash, people who work on games can (and have) put their noggins together and came up with a figure anywhere between $2m through $4m per month operating expenditures.

Refund volume? We don't even have a starting data point or anything to draw parallels from. We can't even sit here and try to guesstimate what order scale we're talking about in terms of volume. 100 / day? 1000 / day? Maybe this thread is the only place on the web that really knows refunds are being processed on a somewhat regular basis now and refund volume isn't significantly higher than historical background rates. What are those historical background rates, anyway? Was CIG discarding hundreds of tickets per day in rejected refund requests in 2014-2015, or was it dozens? Only a few per week?

Utterly no data is available. Joke about it, yes, but if you walk around with some kind of certainty that CIG is collapsing with the refund valve now open sucking lifeblood from them in any magnitude threshold of significance, you're taking the first steps to becoming a mirror, opposite image of the Redditors who don't take a second to question their perspective before rejecting criticisms outright.

E: And if someone has any kind of idea on how to start piecing together a picture of refund volume scientifically, let's start it. Do CIG helpdesk indecent numbers auto-increment per ticket? Maybe someone can start with how many tickets have been generated in the last two weeks based on the dates of y'alls refund emails.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 5, 2015

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Hasn't the deadline for the escapist ran out now?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

BluestreakBTHR posted:

C'mon buddy, we're all good friends here.
The important thing is you wised up in time.

She's worried about the magnitude... wait did you give them $88 million?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Personally I think Sandi hired the two black guys pre-emptively, so she would be untouchable when being a massive racist later. She is probably also growing a big ol' beaver right now too.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lord Tywin posted:

Hasn't the deadline for the escapist ran out now?

COB today on PST. Nothing will happen anyways

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

Their cash may be low, but with respect to guessing how CIG may be reacting to refund pressure or delaying larger refunds until Satuday's CitCon presentations --

Look at it this way. If we're seeking a very broad ballpark figure on CIG's remaining cash, people who work on games can (and have) put their noggins together and came up with a figure anywhere between $2m through $4m per month operating expenditures.

Refund volume? We don't even have a starting data point or anything to draw parallels from. We can't even sit here and try to guesstimate what order scale we're talking about in terms of volume. 100 / day? 1000 / day? Maybe this thread is the only place on the web that really knows refunds are being processed on a somewhat regular basis now and refund volume isn't significantly higher than historical background rates. What are those historical background rates, anyway? Was CIG discarding hundreds of tickets per day in rejected refund requests in 2014-2015, or was it dozens? Only a few per week?

Utterly no data is available. Joke about it, yes, but if you walk around with some kind of certainty that CIG is collapsing with the refund valve now open sucking lifeblood from them in any magnitude threshold of significance, you're taking the first steps to becoming a mirror, opposite image of the Redditors who don't take a second to question their perspective before rejecting criticisms outright.

E: And if someone has any kind of idea on how to start piecing together a picture of refund volume scientifically, let's start it. Do CIG helpdesk indecent numbers auto-increment per ticket? Maybe someone can start with how many tickets have been generated in the last two weeks based on the dates of y'alls refund emails.

time will tell ;)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Personally I think Sandi hired the two black guys pre-emptively, so she would be untouchable when being a massive racist later.

It would be harder for an ex-applicant to get a positive sentence on a criminal discrimination case than it would be for CIG to hit Escapist for libel.

Edit: Unless, of course, again CIG did something utterly dementedly stupid like writing compromising remarks down / recording hiring discussions. Or telling other people about "that ___ I just interviewed." A company whose HR keeps its traps shut really can't be touched. Sandi though...

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 5, 2015

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

HamHawkes posted:

The entertainment today is lacking. Where is the blog post Dr. Smart.

It was posted a page or two ago.

Edit: Wait, that apparently was tumblr or something. How many different venues does DS poo poo words out on to? I can't keep up.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 5, 2015

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Grimey Drawer

nopantsjack posted:

C'mon buddy, we're all good friends here.
The important thing is you wised up in time.

She's worried about the magnitude... wait did you give them $88 million?

Funny enough, I requested this refund Mid-August - after GamesCom.
If I had $88M, I'd make my own ponzi, er, video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Funny enough, I requested this refund Mid-August - after GamesCom.
If I had $88M, I'd make my own ponzi, er, video game.

it took them a month and a half to get back to you? the gently caress mate

• Locked thread