Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It had it's moments but it definitely went on for 3 seasons too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Which season had John Lithgow? I enjoyed that one the most because, well, Lithgow.

Mu Zeta posted:

SURPRISE, MOTHERFUCKA!

Otherwise, Doakes was the best thing about the show

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

pahuyuth posted:

Which season had John Lithgow? I enjoyed that one the most because, well, Lithgow.

It was season 4

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yep you guys are right-I just went through and read the plot wiki's, so I guess I eliminated one thing to binge on Netflix.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

nwin posted:

I'm trying to figure out the draw of Dexter. So far I'm 3 episodes in and Dexter is a loving psychopath where his foster dad is saying "there's something wrong with you and we need to feed this addiction. Here, kill this deer I just shot. Here, now it's time to kill the nurse who is trying to kill me. It's ok because you're solving murder with murder."

Then you have his sister who is annoying as gently caress so far and seems to be incompetent as can be-who probably only got hired on as a cop because of her dad.

All the while I imagine Dexter is going to want to gently caress whoever the cold-killer is because that's the only way he's getting turned on because it sure as poo poo isn't his girlfriend who's got way too many issues.

Now, I've heard how it ends and that the show ends up getting horrible, but does it get any better than this? I'm waiting for the show to hit its stride, but right now it's laughably over the top.

it's not all downhill from here, it's a 90 degree drop into a sewage tank

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

it's not all downhill from here, it's a 90 degree drop into a sewage tank

Yeah like I said the first three episodes didn't impress me but then I was reading all the acclaim for it on the Wikipedia.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Season 1 of Dexter as it ramps up to the finale was so loving great at the time. Haven't rewatched it since the show ended but I'm sure it's still pretty good. Season 2 is definitely my favorite season even if it did kill off the best character. Season 3 is hilariously bad and worth watching if only for Jimmy Smitts spiraling out and the BLACK SUV/Trimmed trees!! scenes.

Season 4 is probably the best part of the show though because John Lithgow is terrific and the plot is really good.

As a watcher from the beginning I have to say that even though the show took a sharp turn into total crap I never once hated Michael C. Hall as an actor. I wish he were on another show already :argh:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Duke posted:

As a watcher from the beginning I have to say that even though the show took a sharp turn into total crap I never once hated Michael C. Hall as an actor. I wish he were on another show already :argh:

Just rewatch Six Feet Under, or that scene where he does a full on dance number in the movie Gamer.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure Dexter season 1 through 4 are well worth watching, seasons 5 and 6 were mediocre at best, I enjoyed season 7 because of Hannah Mckay, and season 8 was just a train wreck.

Onigami Nanashi
Aug 29, 2006
The truth is in here.
Okay, so I binged through the first three seasons of Spartacus in about a month. It's been like three since I finished season three, and for whatever reason I'm having serious trouble starting season four. Anybody have advice on that? I think part of my reason for not starting is I know how it ends, and I don't want to see these characters I've grown to like shat on all over the place.

I was also surprised at the Dominion plug because I just recently stopped the recording of it on my DVR. I thought the first season was watchable, but season two has become so boring that before I stopped the series recording, I was deleting episodes halfway through because I just couldn't sit through any more.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It doesn't follow history 100%

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The Duke posted:

Season 3 is hilariously bad and worth watching if only for Jimmy Smitts spiraling out and the BLACK SUV/Trimmed trees!! scenes.

Smits really did squeeze out a world champion "well then FOCKYOOOOO!" that year.

Chicky Hines, you are not forgotten
#ChickysLifeMatters

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Smits really did squeeze out a world champion "well then FOCKYOOOOO!" that year.

Chicky Hines, you are not forgotten
#ChickysLifeMatters

God drat Jimmy Smits was a good season.

The show should have ended with a season after the end of lithgow's trinity.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Onigami Nanashi posted:

Okay, so I binged through the first three seasons of Spartacus in about a month. It's been like three since I finished season three, and for whatever reason I'm having serious trouble starting season four. Anybody have advice on that? I think part of my reason for not starting is I know how it ends, and I don't want to see these characters I've grown to like shat on all over the place.

I was also surprised at the Dominion plug because I just recently stopped the recording of it on my DVR. I thought the first season was watchable, but season two has become so boring that before I stopped the series recording, I was deleting episodes halfway through because I just couldn't sit through any more.

The plug game from me and after I finished the season, i checked the thread here and was surprised people were pretty negative.

However, I can imagine being considerably less impressed if you aren't binging it but watching week to week.

Also, just go watch the final season of Spartacus. No, the plucky band of freed slaves isn't going to take down the Roman empire, but I'm guessing (hoping?) you knew that from the start.

The last season is an amazing loving ride though, with some great new antagonists. There's one in particular you will love to hate.

Also, I felt Liam really owned the role in the last season. In the season after the prequel, I was still missing Andy.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I finished Spiral (Engrenages) on Netflix and really liked it. It was mentioned in this thread before, but last I checked they only had season 4 on Netflix, but they have all 4 on US now. It's mostly a cop show but it also features a prosecutor, a defense attorney (:swoon:) and an investigative judge, so it's not just busting down doors. Speaking of which, this is one of the only shows where the detectives don't breach a building ahead of the SWAT team, they stay behind the dudes in full armor instead of running around with plot armor.

Anyways, I realized my French is getting rusty and I'm looking for recommendations for more French-speaking shows. I've seen this, Braquo and the one where the dead people are suddenly back. I have access to Netflix France but I should be able to dig something up if it's not available there.

El Ste
Aug 22, 2010

I've only just heard of and begun Homeland.

I am just praying that this doesn't end up being a gigantic waste of time. Please, someone, warn me if it is.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

El Ste posted:

I am just praying that this doesn't end up being a gigantic waste of time. Please, someone, warn me if it is.

I had fun during the first season, but it started feeling more 24-esque during season two. I gave up on it after that.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

El Ste posted:

People poo poo on Homeland but I think it's definitely solid and worth watching. Well, the first three seasons at least. Haven't seen the rest.

El Ste
Aug 22, 2010

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

People poo poo on Homeland but I think it's definitely solid and worth watching. Well, the first three seasons at least. Haven't seen the rest.

Ruh oh. What is it generally shat on for?

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Not knowing when to end particular plots in a satisfying way/banking too much on Claire Danes' crazy cry face

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I've enjoyed Homeland, the first season was amazing but it did drop a little in quality here and there - but all the major story lines (that I can remember) have been amazing usually.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
First season of Homeland was the best, but I haven't really disliked any season.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

EC posted:

I had fun during the first season, but it started feeling more 24-esque during season two. I gave up on it after that.

I have loved claire danes for about as long as I can remember, so I might have a bit of a bias towards the show, but I'd say 1st season was the best one, then it took a dive, because they, without spoilering anything, wanted to keep the magic of the first season going. But, luckily for everyone, season 4 is basically a reboot. I'm rewatching it now in prep for season 5 and it's good, you guys should watch it.

Also rebinged Broad City this week. So funny, highly recommended.

so yeah, I'm mostly watching things I've seen before. Goon favourites such as rome and spartacus do nothing for me. Can anyone recommend something a little more esoteric? Like, what's your favourite show that no one else knows about?

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

El Ste posted:

The first season is pretty decent (except for the Dana subplots, ugh), but then it starts to suffer from "oh, this show is more popular than we thought it'd be, let's figure out how to drag it out over 5 seasons" syndrome.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

prinneh posted:

I have loved claire danes for about as long as I can remember, so I might have a bit of a bias towards the show, but I'd say 1st season was the best one, then it took a dive, because they, without spoilering anything, wanted to keep the magic of the first season going. But, luckily for everyone, season 4 is basically a reboot. I'm rewatching it now in prep for season 5 and it's good, you guys should watch it.

so yeah, I'm mostly watching things I've seen before. Goon favourites such as rome and spartacus do nothing for me. Can anyone recommend something a little more esoteric? Like, what's your favourite show that no one else knows about?

Coupling. It's well known BBC gold but just in case.
Better Off Ted
Catastrophe was shockingly good
Web Therapy also

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Shadow posted:

Coupling. It's well known BBC gold but just in case.
Better Off Ted
Catastrophe was shockingly good
Web Therapy also

Seen all of these except Web Therapy, which scared me off because of Lisa Kudrow. I'll look into it :)

For other people looking for shows, I suspect Coupling is about past its sell-by date, but Better off ted is still pretty fun and yes, Catastrophe is amazing :)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

prinneh posted:

These certainly aren't unknown, but none are as well-known or well-liked as they should be:
Terriers (one season on Netflix)
iZombie (the second season just started; the first was just added to Netflix)
The Americans (three seasons so far; at least two on Amazon Prime)
Masters of Sex (three seasons so far; all on Showtime On Demand)
Fringe (five seasons; all on Netflix and Amazon Prime)
Dollhouse (two seasons; both on Netflix and Amazon Prime)
Childrens Hospital (six seasons; not sure where you could stream them)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 7, 2015

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I see you tried sneaking in Dollhouse. Don't. That show is terrible.

Try Brooklyn Nine-Nine, which is currently airing, for some good comedy. Same, guiltily, for Scream Queens, which is apt for the month we're in. Dead Like Me was also an amazing show. Pushing Daisies by the same creator was visually stunning and written cheekily. Person of Interest did not get enough love for the seasons it has had and it's amazing.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Pan Dulce posted:

Try Brooklyn Nine-Nine, which is currently airing, for some good comedy. Person of Interest did not get enough love for the seasons it has had and it's amazing.

Dollhouse started out terrible, but I still contend it got good by the sixth episode and exponentially better from there. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is great, but its predecessor and inspiration, Parks and Recreation is even better.

And I'm getting close to finishing Season 2 of Person of Interest, and I love it. It also got off to a slow start, but the seventh episode is the turning point, then you get a few more slow episodes, and then it gets really good midway through Season 1 and hasn't slowed down again.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

These certainly aren't unknown, but none are as well-known or well-liked as they should be:
Terriers (one season on Netflix)
iZombie (the second season just started; the first was just added to Netflix)
The Americans (three seasons so far; at least two on Amazon Prime)
Masters of Sex (three seasons so far; all on Showtime On Demand)
Fringe (five seasons; all on Netflix and Amazon Prime)
Dollhouse (two seasons; both on Netflix and Amazon Prime)
Childrens Hospital (six seasons; not sure where you could stream them)

Pan Dulce posted:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Scream Queens
Dead Like Me
Pushing Daisies
Person of Interest

Parks and Recreation
...Seen all of these, but didn't finish iZombie, Childrens Hospital or Dollhouse.

Actually, I haven't seen Scream Queens, does anyone else like it?

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

I'm having fun with Scream Queens, worth checking out I'd say. You'll know by the first episode whether you want to stick with it or not.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Dave Angel posted:

I'm having fun with Scream Queens, worth checking out I'd say. You'll know by the first episode whether you want to stick with it or not.

Cool, I'll check it out :)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

El Ste posted:

It's got a great first season and first half of season 2. After that it began to take a slow decline in quality. I stopped watching after season 3 which just felt way too drawn out.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Thwomp posted:

It's got a great first season and first half of season 2. After that it began to take a slow decline in quality. I stopped watching after season 3 which just felt way too drawn out.

I posted this earlier on this page, but if you enjoyed it you should watch season 4. It's almost a complete reboot.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Personally I'd recommend turning off the season 1 finale of Homeland like 10 minutes from the end, telling yourself Brody went through with it, and pretending it was a really amazing miniseries

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

We'll have to agree to disagree.

No we wont, because you're wrong and you should admit your wrongness.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

prinneh posted:

I posted this earlier on this page, but if you enjoyed it you should watch season 4. It's almost a complete reboot.

Honestly, I've been so burned in the past by Showtime extending its shows well past the point of diminishing returns that I'll likely never touch it again.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

No we wont, because you're wrong and you should admit your wrongness.

Season 2 was hilarious so the show will always have a special place in my heart. Forgettable meh sci fi show and then a sharp right straight into the apocalypse of absurdity and improv performance art.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
And that's Twin Peaks down for the count. Show was good, even kind of liked the movie I think. A lot of the second season was kind of bad though. Can't wait for the new season whenever it comes along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Just finished season 3 of The Americans. Nice so see a teenage girl character that's not terrible. I was mostly comparing that to Homeland.

The suitcase scene was kinda hard for me to watch.