Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Ok. So assuming Chris R/CIG really have wasted nearly 90 million on hookers and blow, what's the fallout? Not just for the cult but for the gaming landscape in general and perhaps more specifically, Roberts and those devs? Does Roberts turn so toxic that he's run out of the industry? Do crowdfunded games lose a lot of luster or does Star Citizen just become another cautionary tale of feature creep and ego?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

bres0048 posted:

Wonder what the odds are of Sandi just going gently caress you nerds, tossing down the divorce, and bouncing with half the monies.

If you mean the crowfunding money and not Croberts personal cash then that is impossible because company money and personal money are very very different things from a legal perspective.

How does an adult even think something like that could happen?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

quote:

To be frank, it’s a lot more sexy to print and talk about, “Hey! Did you see this game that raised $90M and how they’re STEALING over a million people?! How crazy!” rather than, “Hey! Did you see this game that raised $90M and they’re on-time and on-budget?” It’s just not sexy, it doesn’t generate clicks.

This one is just incoherent. I do like that no fantasy is too fantastical to be repeated as reality though. There are many things about Star Citizen and this whole foofarah that we don't know. The one thing we do know is it isn't running on time.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

FooF posted:

Ok. So assuming Chris R/CIG really have wasted nearly 90 million on hookers and blow, what's the fallout? Not just for the cult but for the gaming landscape in general and perhaps more specifically, Roberts and those devs? Does Roberts turn so toxic that he's run out of the industry? Do crowdfunded games lose a lot of luster or does Star Citizen just become another cautionary tale of feature creep and ego?

we will find out soon enough

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
DSmart should make a kickstarter to found his upcoming blog posts.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FooF posted:

I would say that the whole thing would reveal that Kickstarter games are huge risks that over promise, under deliver, and are generally dumb. However I think that anyone who isn't a retard should have realized that already, so I guess the real takeaway will just be a lesson about feature creep.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

nopantsjack posted:

Oh Reddit, love this one.

quote:

quote:

Honestly... I'm very shocked at some people's reactions here about the drama.

Look, there's not a lot of content right now for SC. Citcon is coming yes but still there's not much to do right now.

This is one of the larger/more persistant threats against this community ever at least since I've been around.

Are you saying you expect us not to talk about it? Not to rage a little when federal crimes are thrown against our VP of marketing/beloved community person?

gently caress no. I'm mad. This isn't "lel drama", this is people attacking our game that so many of us have put so much into (most more than me, I admit). I'm seriously tired of the bitching here and there about "get this DRAMA off my front page!"

Fool, this should be your front page. Think about all the people who's first experience with SC is that escapist article. If that doesn't make you mad, idk what will.

"Our game has very little to show for it after 4 years of development, how DARE you say it might not get finished! Don't you know how much time on our hands we have?"

Dude, that's exactly the post Reddit desperately needs more of. Discuss the drama. Talk about expectations openly. Perhaps, eventually, find that you can address anything found lacking with CIG and SC. Baby steps.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

FooF posted:

According to noted lunatic Derek Smart it'll destroy Crowdsourcing as we know it.

But thats not going to happen, Kickstarter has already passed its honeymoon phase, it might burn a few people but most people are going to continue to kickstart things they want to kickstart and buy other things when they're out.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

FooF posted:

Does Roberts turn so toxic that he's run out of the industry?

This pretty much already happened, why do you think he had to kickstart this clusterfuck?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

nopantsjack posted:

This one is just incoherent. I do like that no fantasy is too fantastical to be repeated as reality though. There are many things about Star Citizen and this whole foofarah that we don't know. The one thing we do know is it isn't running on time.

can you please source your quotes? tia

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FooF posted:

It's definitely going to do a lot of damage to crowdfunding as a concept; I think we're already seeing a lot more skepticism with Kickstartered projects than we traditionally have, as more people realize that giving crazy visionary types all the dollars with zero oversight is a really disastrous idea. C. Roberts will pretty much never be trusted with money again and almost certainly will never be involved in another videogame.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Because my friend hates being called a liar I demand Wulf register an account to defend his e-honor.

168 hours.

There are plenty more!

bres0048
Oct 29, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

If you mean the crowfunding money and not Croberts personal cash then that is impossible because company money and personal money are very very different things from a legal perspective.

How does an adult even think something like that could happen?

Well it's a "private company", and while i'm no big space court lawyer, I doubt any judge is going to not split up the cash. Regrardless of the iou jpgs that have been sold. He was supposed to be done collecting at 65m anyway.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

quote:

Dude, that's exactly the post Reddit desperately needs more of. Discuss the drama. Talk about expectations openly. Perhaps, eventually, find that you can address anything found lacking with CIG and SC. Baby steps.

The SC subreddit doesn't seem to have much of a problem talking about it. Despite ostensibly being anti-drama. Their problem is even people saying "I've backed $2300 and I'm just a tiny bit concerned about how efficiently our money is being spent" gets downvoted a hundred times until they're invisible, meanwhile people hawking ship JPEGs are posting glowing screeds about the coming glory and swimming in internet points.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

dickwulf posted:

I am a nudist

This loving thread...

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer
See you in the 'verse!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Raskolnikov posted:

Because my friend hates being called a liar I demand Wulf register an account to defend his e-honor.

168 hours.

There are plenty more!

:eyepop:

Incombibulator posted:

See you in the 'verse!

:eyepop:

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Raskolnikov posted:

168 hours.

There are plenty more!

Isn't this the lard-rear end that bought pizza for the Crobert Crew when he was there on tour? Its easy to be cool about nudity when your flabs act as portable censor bars.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

A Neurotic Jew posted:

can you please source your quotes? tia

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3nhm9s/drama_megathread/

*pauses from rolling around in the muck oinking to beckon others in*

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FooF posted:

If I've learned anything following vaporware games since the late 90's it's that gamers as a whole are the stupidest loving idiot gullible retards on the face of the planet and learn nothing from past experiences so basically, nothing really except it will be kind of an in-joke to compare future projects to star citizen to the the epic scale of failure.

Considering CR has had years to sock away money and protect himself legally I doubt he'll come out of this worse for wear.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Wulf posted:

I am a nudist
just postin pics of wulf again:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You know what, after reading some threads in r/starcitizen I start to think that Star Citizen might be a cult after all.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Jon Do posted:

The Face of a Star Citizen

Isn't that Dick Wulf

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
at some point CR will transition and start saying that star citizen will be the funding platform for his actual aerospace ventures, offering low orbit flights in 2019

and then the real culting begins, as level 420 citizens are the only ones aware of the TRUTH... that their low orbit flights will collide with specific sattelites which will send them to alien heaven.

wouldn't this make them tax-exempt and crowd-funded? l ron, roll in your grave...

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I haven't been this excited for convention viewing schadenfreude since The Gathering when Tila Tequila almost got gang raped / stoned to death.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jon Do posted:

just postin pics of wulf again:

this is significantly better than that disgusting space bunny furry pic from like 2-3 years ago, please no one loving post it I'm so sorry for bringing it up oh god

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Incombibulator posted:

See you in the 'verse!

Quick! Start a kickstarter so that we can fund your foray into the #starfamily. I demand full transparency.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Also here is the thing, DickWulf went around showing off his own screenshot of his OWN inbox to prove his "innocence." So you could say Wulf has effectively hosed himself here since before he came around showing people this pic we had no visual proof since my friend WTF deleted it out of her inbox right away.

Lets compare pictures here. If this had been my friends inbox she wouldn't be listed as the recipient on the right hand icon or in the to field.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 5, 2015

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov posted:

168 hours.

There are plenty more!

WOW..:eyepop:

I must have missed the backstory here but I imagine it's wonderful

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Raskolnikov posted:

Also here is the thing, DickWulf went around showing off his own screenshot of his OWN inbox to prove his "innocence." So you could say Wulf has effectively hosed himself here since before he came around showing people this pic we had no visual proof since my friend WTF deleted it out of her inbox right away.

Lets compare pictures here. If this had been my friends inbox she wouldn't be listed as the recipient on the right hand icon, which, by the way, I had censored.

Uh

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

this is significantly better than that disgusting space bunny furry pic from like 2-3 years ago, please no one loving post it I'm so sorry for bringing it up oh god

My doob citizen photoshop is #1 image when you GIS doob citizen. I am so proud :downs:

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

soy posted:

I haven't been this excited for convention viewing schadenfreude since The Gathering when Tila Tequila almost got gang raped / stoned to death.

You and me both!
*dances a happy dance*

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Quick! Start a kickstarter so that we can fund your foray into the #starfamily. I demand full transparency.

I'll be sure to take pictures of any receipts I get. I'm not falling into the DS trap. No way.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

FooF posted:

If history is any indication this will just repeat itself in a slightly different form in 10 years or so once everybody's sorta forgotten about this fiasco

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

univbee posted:

It's definitely going to do a lot of damage to crowdfunding as a concept; I think we're already seeing a lot more skepticism with Kickstartered projects than we traditionally have, as more people realize that giving crazy visionary types all the dollars with zero oversight is a really disastrous idea.
See, I think in some ways that's what the crowdfunding idea needs. That first big wave in 2012/2013 had a lot of irrational exuberance in it, even some of the successful ones were a bit of a let down to people who let their imaginations run wild. Kickstarter needs a healthy skepticism around it to keep growing in the long term, rather than a boom and bust made with bad promises.

Moreover what I really hope is that it's another brick in the wall for the whale-hunter style of upsell in gaming. Sure, there are people who are natural whales in f2p games because they're so rich that $10k is like $60 to me. Fine. But for any average person, which a lot of star citizen backers are, that isn't the case. People need exposure to build up an immunity. Star Citizen was a new infection vector, the pay2win of the imagination. I'm kinda glad that part is gonna be associated with a disaster.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Raskolnikov posted:

Lets compare pictures here. If this had been my friends inbox she wouldn't be listed as the recipient on the right hand icon or in the to field.

Finally, I realise what's missing in the white squared tiny box - that wulf icon that he sports around to self-brand himself all the time. Someone shop it in - thanks.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

AP posted:

Under $2700

I forget what the range below High Admiral is.

That's not necessarily true. I spent too much myself, and I know I can set my badge level _below_ what I spent. And I have done so.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

It makes me sorta frown and smile in disbelief when I remember my girlfriend's dad has played like 300 hours of Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen still doesn't have a proper fly spaceships gameplay model.

Whats the verdict on E:D? Obviously these Redditors tell me its the worst game ever, a ripoff of SC and the devil and everyone regrets backing it instead of SC.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

nopantsjack posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3nhm9s/drama_megathread/

*pauses from rolling around in the muck oinking to beckon others in*

This is pretty good. I especially love how many are saying "the work speaks for itself".

yea. exactly.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

nopantsjack posted:

It makes me sorta frown and smile in disbelief when I remember my girlfriend's dad has played like 300 hours of Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen still doesn't have a proper fly spaceships gameplay model.

Whats the verdict on E:D? Obviously these Redditors tell me its the worst game ever, a ripoff of SC and the devil and everyone regrets backing it instead of SC.

It's fun for spacetrucking, but get's feeling grindy real fast.

Still more fun than SC though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

nopantsjack posted:

My buddy who was initially interested in Star Citizen until I told him about cargo commander and such is currently shouting E:D's praise to the moon whenever I speak to him. He really wants me to hop in and play.

Maybe it's time to get a HOTAS....

• Locked thread