Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The real image since no star citizen thread should be without it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

A Neurotic Jew posted:

This is pretty good. I especially love how many are saying "the work speaks for itself".

yea. exactly.

Basically every single post is dripping with unintentional irony like that or just crazily projecting.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nopantsjack posted:

Whats the verdict on E:D? Obviously these Redditors tell me its the worst game ever, a ripoff of SC and the devil and everyone regrets backing it instead of SC.

It's also pretty good on the "shoot spacemans in ships" front, too.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

nopantsjack posted:

It makes me sorta frown and smile in disbelief when I remember my girlfriend's dad has played like 300 hours of Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen still doesn't have a proper fly spaceships gameplay model.

Whats the verdict on E:D? Obviously these Redditors tell me its the worst game ever, a ripoff of SC and the devil and everyone regrets backing it instead of SC.

It's fun in the same way that Microsoft Flight Simulator is fun.

Frontier also seems committed to improving the game (with some missteps along the way) and a patch due out tomorrow adds in an arena PvP mode.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Warcabbit posted:

That's not necessarily true. I spent too much myself, and I know I can set my badge level _below_ what I spent. And I have done so.

$1400

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Wafflz posted:

An anti-brony, star citizen backing, military, fat bunny with a disassembled sexbot...

What.

Whats the deal with all the furries and SC, just a subsection of the community or is there something that actually caters to them in the game?
Also whats the deal with people who seem to talk about space prostituion and stuff, is that just roleplay or has Croberts promised human trafficing and sex robots in his magnum opus or something?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Wafflz posted:

jesus in heaven

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Welp, let's hope you get that much entertainment value out of what you spent, I guess.

I'll try to check out your show.

Anti-Brony? That's a MLP version of the Eridani Light Horse logo. Googling ELH and pony says http://mwo.gamepedia.com/Unit:Eridani_Light_Pony
... yeah, they like MLP and Battletech. Not the worst pun.

Eridani Light Horse logo for reference - they happened to be my favored Battletech company.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 5, 2015

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

See? That wasn't so hard, was it. You are among friends here.

bres0048
Oct 29, 2012

You had Ortwin contact you for that?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I love Star Citizen.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

drat Dirty Ape posted:

See? That wasn't so hard, was it. You are among friends here.

Its not even that uncommon an amount, I mean like two days ago I would have done a couple spit takes but now its like, "heh, amateur"

e: Man before this day I was worried people would find out that back when it was new and big I probably spent over a hundred quid on League of Legends over the course of a couple years.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

Wafflz posted:

I always liked how he had the [Redacted] on the god awful box labels behind for some reason but never really redacted anything he should have. Like all of it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Raskolnikov, is there a reason your friend hasn't reported this to the local police? Don't want to attract attention, or...?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
All I'm saying is I wouldn't want my daughter or my gay son to date one of them star citizens. They are not right in the head, those guys.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

Raskolnikov, is there a reason your friend hasn't reported this to the local police? Don't want to attract attention, or...?

What the hell are they going to do? Just laugh at her and be like "Okay so someone sent you something on the internet?" That, seems to be a typical response from what I've seen. Also I don't think anyone wants to go to court (not space court) over a dick pic.

edit: ALL of this was presented to CIG back in 2014 and they didn't even ban him for 24 hours btw. We were collectively pissed at CIG for being lovely at their job.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 5, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Wafflz posted:

What I love most about this picture is how the longer you look at it the more little details come out, and every time you see it there is something new.

Like the katana on the floor, or the cut marks on the doll's arm.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

bah that wouldn't even be all that high on the goon spreadsheet of shame

"magnitude" my lily white rear end..

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

bres0048 posted:

You had Ortwin contact you for that?

tells me they are out of money. but no we should be level headed about this. We dont know for sure if they are out of money.

bres0048
Oct 29, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

What I love most about this picture is how the longer you look at it the more little details come out, and every time you see it there is something new.

Like the katana on the floor, or the cut marks on the doll's arm.

Or the pony on his hat.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

All I'm saying is I wouldn't want my daughter or my gay son to date one of them star citizens. They are not right in the head, those guys.

We need to create star citizen internment camps. We cant let their tainted minds mix among the population.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I love how every time that picture gets posted new people are exposed to the wonder of it, it is truly :perfect:

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Wafflz posted:

I love how every time that picture gets posted new people are exposed to the wonder of it, it is truly :perfect:

There's a solid chance that's the last thing whoever took that photo saw, probably his grandmother. To be fair he did tell her to stay out of the basement if she knew what was good for her.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

There's a solid chance that's the last thing whoever took that photo saw, probably his grandmother. To be fair he did tell her to stay out of the basement if she knew what was good for her.
Set the timer and and place camera on stairwell. No sane human took that picture.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

nopantsjack posted:

An anti-brony, star citizen backing, military, fat bunny with a disassembled sexbot...

What.

Whats the deal with all the furries and SC, just a subsection of the community or is there something that actually caters to them in the game?
Also whats the deal with people who seem to talk about space prostituion and stuff, is that just roleplay or has Croberts promised human trafficing and sex robots in his magnum opus or something?

As trains are to extremely autistic people, so outer space is to slightly less autistic, but still very autistic, people

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I like how he splashed white powder all over his face and collar so he could look like his hero.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

on a serious note for this thread, some provinces in Canada may have crowdfunding rules coming

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/securities-regulators-in-6-provinces-agree-to-crowdfunding-rules-for-startups-1.3075773

quote:

Individuals will be able to invest up to $1,500 at a time in any one crowdfunding effort

Have the right to withdraw within the first 48 hours.

Companies can only raise $250,000 in one campaign and are permitted just two campaigns a year

A crowdfunding campaign can last up to 90 days

Christ Robots is going to face the angry wrath of my province British Columbia let me tell you

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Wafflz posted:

This is everything wrong about nerds summed up in one picture.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Wafflz posted:

bah that wouldn't even be all that high on the goon spreadsheet of shame

"magnitude" my lily white rear end..

orders of magnitude is important when your war chest only has six figures left in it

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Could someone explain in non-programmer language what it is about Cryengine that makes it bad for a game of this type? Compared to the Unreal engine, or... Uh, I don't know any other game engines of this type. :(

They're having huge problems making an FPS with an engine specifically created for FPSs. So I wouldn't take CIG's issues as evidence of an engine being poo poo

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

nopantsjack posted:

It makes me sorta frown and smile in disbelief when I remember my girlfriend's dad has played like 300 hours of Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen still doesn't have a proper fly spaceships gameplay model.

Not the worst game ever, and sure as hell no ripoff of Star Citizen. (Who'd want to rip it off, anyway?) I sure as hell don't regret buying it.

I'd give it an 7.5 on a 1-10 scale (8.5-9 if you play with VR) and THE SOUND DESIGN IS THE BEST IN GAMING.

When it launched it was a 6. But keeps adding content, expanded / refined gameplay, and occasionally even really intriguing lore. It gets better every month, expanding outward from a very stable set of core mechanics. (Basically the opposite of Star Citizen.) It's a low-risk purchase, IMO, because Frontier is so ace about the perpetual improvements / additions / refinements. They're the exact opposite of CIG in that regard.

The "Horizons" expansion in a month or more brings planetary landings, looting/crafting, multicrew(!), new ships, and supposedly some meaningful expansions on their most interesting in-game lore, a pending invasion(?), attack(?), plague(?) from the old insectile menace of the earlier titles, the Thargoids. You should wait until Horizons release to buy in-- and I imagine you'll end up feeling like you got more than your money's worth. Particularly if you're a fan of space sims.

Just be warned up front: it's a slower paced game than many. There's no denying that it's a "Grindcore" game at its heart; combat, exploration, mining, smuggling all have a grindy nature. What the game needs, more than anything, are more surprises and stories-- but Frontier knows that, and we got a glimpse of that with the semi-recent discovery of an alien artifact in game. (Watch the full clip for a nice surprise that caught the discoverers off guard.) It's believed to be spreading a plague-- and ships which carried it to stations seem to have led to station infections which resulted in quarantines and abandonment of the ship. THAT is the kind of really cool "this galaxy is alive and CHANGING" stuff Frontier knows it needs to triple down on. Given their track record to date, I fully expect that they will.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 5, 2015

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

BombiTheZombie posted:

This is everything wrong about nerds summed up in one picture.

Good god I've seen nerds, that's no nerd. That's an abortion.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov posted:

Because my friend hates being called a liar I demand Wulf register an account to defend his e-honor.

168 hours.

There are plenty more!

loving LOL

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

sorla78 posted:

I wonder how Chris R feels at this moment, everyone around him slowly turning against him, his dream crumbling in his fingers, so close, so far. just two more weeks. for real.

Star Citizen is the loving white whale and Chris R is Captain Ahab.

Skoll posted:

That analogy really doesn't work.

Star Citizen is the puzzle box and CRobber is Uncle Frank.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

CLAM DOWN posted:

on a serious note for this thread, some provinces in Canada may have crowdfunding rules coming

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/securities-regulators-in-6-provinces-agree-to-crowdfunding-rules-for-startups-1.3075773

Christ Robots is going to face the angry wrath of my province British Columbia let me tell you

Hmm Clam Down, the article states the below:

quote:

It's the equity crowdfunding model that has been under review — when people are asked to invest in a startup in return for securities. Until now, that has not been allowed in any jurisdiction in Canada

Crowdfunding has become an attractive way for startups to raise capital, but the lack of rules around the issue meant Canadian companies could not offer securities to investors who fund them this way.

The new rules pave the way for startups to offer some incentives to early investors.

Individuals will be able to invest up to $1,500 at a time in any one crowdfunding effort, and have the right to think twice about the investment and withdraw within the first 48 hours.

Companies can only raise $250,000 in one campaign and are permitted just two campaigns a year. A crowdfunding campaign can last up to 90 days.

So it's not relevant to SC, sadly.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sorla78 posted:

Hmm Clam Down, the article states the below:

So it's not relevant to SC, sadly.

Oh drat, I miss that part. Welp.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is somewhat different because it's crowfunding + actual investment (securities). That's not allowed right now in either the US or Canada. This is why Fig, the kickstarter-alike that says they give you equity in the project, is currently only allowed to take money from people who file some forms to prove they have a million dollars of personal worth.

There are a lot of laws about this because a hundred years ago stock scams were as common as crowdfunding scams are today.

e;fb

Klyith fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 5, 2015

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Raskolnikov posted:

Because my friend hates being called a liar I demand Wulf register an account to defend his e-honor.

168 hours.

There are plenty more!

:eyepop:

lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The sad part of all of this is when I watch poo poo like the multi-crew demo I feel the deep nerd-yearning in me that the faithful must feel. If I didn't know enough about reality to know that you currently just can't make seamless first person high fidelity EVE I'd probably be throwing money at this too.

I'm universally poo poo at space games so they hold little interest for me, but goddamn would I play a game where you could spacewalk onto a derelict ship, power it up and fly it away or fly up the rear end in a top hat of some guys bigger ship and go explore that in a persistent universe of thousands of people.

Problem is even EVE can't do EVE without it having to drop to 10x slow mo whenever anything interesting happens.
The multicrew demo is cool but you look at how its chugging along in places and then extrapolate that beyond just one map with a set demo route into 100 star systems worth of hybrid procedural and artisinal content with voxel based hoosits and basically the only way thats possible is Croberts discovering sorcery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh drat, I miss that part. Welp.

we need a lot more crowdfunding rules, so I hope this becomes more of a trend

• Locked thread