Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gwaihir posted:

There was a group that legit released a 30+ page "Manual of capital ship combat tactics" going on at least.. a year? year and a half? ago. I don't have the link handy anymore, but someone probably does.

It's exactly as bad as it sounds.

That's mind boggling. What are they basing any of their tactics on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Eonwe posted:

we need a lot more crowdfunding rules, so I hope this becomes more of a trend

Not that I disagree but it's pretty funny that we need a set of rules to stop people from pre-paying for a product that may never exist.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

You know the one aspect about SC's impending failure that I'm really disappointed about is the amount of work from talented mod makers that is going to go to waste. I really wanted to run around on this thing: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5690794/#Comment_5690794

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Horatio Hornblower.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

Gwaihir posted:

Keep in mind that /r/starcitizen is WAAAAAY far away from the worst about this too.

There was a group that legit released a 30+ page "Manual of capital ship combat tactics" going on at least.. a year? year and a half? ago. I don't have the link handy anymore, but someone probably does.

Was that the same "manual" where they basically ripped a buncha pages from a jet fighter manual and just re-labeled it?

Didn't some guy rename some dumb rear end jet move with his own name? Tannenhauser Maneuver or some dumb poo poo? Did I imagine all this>

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So did Chris Roberts and this Sandi Gardiner chick get married after he accidentally started this Ponzi scheme?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

Keep in mind that /r/starcitizen is WAAAAAY far away from the worst about this too.

I dunno I find it required reading when on the loo.

[REQUIRED READING] Systems United Navy - Operational Manual

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

You know the one aspect about SC's impending failure that I'm really disappointed about is the amount of work from talented mod makers that is going to go to waste. I really wanted to run around on this thing: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5690794/#Comment_5690794

You really think that CIG would actually release anything for private server modding after all the poo poo they've gone through?
You think they'll release the Moon Collider AI?
I don't think private servers were viable as a stand-alone universe in SC a long time ago... these mods can go off and create a portfolio and get gigs elsewhere still.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Dreams.

And or just taking real manuals and slapping the word space everywhere.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

BluestreakBTHR posted:

You really think that CIG would actually release anything for private server modding after all the poo poo they've gone through?
I don't think private servers were viable as a stand-alone universe in SC a long time ago... these mods can go off and create a portfolio and get gigs elsewhere still.

I think it's one of the many promises they will inevitably break, but it was one of the ones I was originally very excited about- and they've still got an entire forum dedicated to it, and they had a whole show showcasing modders in the community. They went a long way towards encouraging the mod scene and never really delivered on it.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

I usually read our manual while on the shitter.

Just to make sure I'm up to speed on super elite tactics with other goons when SC totally comes out.

http://imgur.com/a/Qoaxm

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

Oh for the love of all that's holy....that's a real thing.

These people have doomed this thing to fail already. No matter what's released, it's not going to fit into their utopian fantasy.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Sarsapariller posted:

I think it's one of the many promises they will inevitably break, but it was one of the ones I was originally very excited about- and they've still got an entire forum dedicated to it, and they had a whole show showcasing modders in the community. They went a long way towards encouraging the mod scene and never really delivered on it.

Come on! Give them a break. They're still in the early stages of prototyping. They want to do it right on the first try. I think it would be grossly unfair to ask for mod support during these early days.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Shala posted:

Just to make sure I'm up to speed on super elite tactics with other goons when SC totally comes out.

Bookmarked for future shitter reading.

Also, yeah, SUN is out of their Kool-Aid addled minds. They take this poo poo WAY too seriously. They made a girl cry over this stupidity.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Shala posted:

Sorry to break it to whoever it is, but the one who made this should be killed

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

No Mods No Masters posted:

We'll let Arkimedes know what you think of his work.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

the coalition handbook is the finest thing to come of goon SC involvement you take that back you philistine :colbert:

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?

Shala posted:

:perfect:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

You seem the type to get the joke.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
I just read the titles of things and set my reaction off of that.

Life's better this way.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ragequit posted:

So apparently DS has offered to fully pay Jim Sterling for a full investigation in to CIG. For lambasting Star Citizen backers for throwing money at dumb poo poo, he certainly likes to throw money at dumb poo poo.
I kinda like Jim Sterling but since when is he some sort of investigator? He's a reviewer and opinions guy.

Derek Smart may be drunk on his own (extremely temporary) relevance.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Moon Collider probably quit or got binned by now, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Also, yeah, SUN is out of their Kool-Aid addled minds. They take this poo poo WAY too seriously. They made a girl cry over this stupidity.

Hahaha wait what now

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

the coalition handbook is the finest thing to come of goon SC involvement you take that back you philistine :colbert:

Nah our fake coalition to counter the real fake coalition of spergs and causing them to disband due to internal drama is probably the best thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IhjG43Ckiw

That or good old Al Bester launching posting nukes at us

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Klyith posted:

Derek Smart may be is completely and totally drunk on his own (extremely temporary) relevance.

ftfy

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

Bolow posted:

Nah our fake coalition to counter the real fake coalition of spergs and causing them to disband due to internal drama is probably the best thing

Arkimedes is a goddamn wizard

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I don't get why people say CR is going to be some sort of hero dev if this stupid thing ever comes out, because honestly, with 90 million I would bet any studio worth their salt could churn out a SC-like. 90 million is a lot of money.

Let's see, to make SC you basically just need a 64-bit Planetside 2 with local physics grids, procedural space generation, and an economy right?

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

I don't get why people say CR is going to be some sort of hero dev if this stupid thing ever comes out, because honestly, with 90 million I would bet any studio worth their salt could churn out a SC-like. 90 million is a lot of money.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

yeah gently caress that guy

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Justin Tyme posted:

Let's see, to make SC you basically just need a 64-bit Planetside 2 with local physics grids, procedural space generation, and an economy right?

space drink server

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

3 posted:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

TheHoosier posted:

space drink server

poo poo I forgot, yeah I don't think Rockstar or DICE could figure that one out honestly.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So what exactly do the sc people hate about ed? It looks like all the pew pew space game they wanted.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Bolow posted:

I have a TCAP shirt with Chris Roberts' signature on one sleeve, and Erin Roberts' on the other. It's my proof that goons are the real reason that Star Citizen is doomed.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

3 posted:

I'd gently caress him

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Jst0rm posted:

So what exactly do the sc people hate about ed? It looks like all the pew pew space game they wanted.

it exists

Actually, the thing about Elite is that it used a completely inverted development model; whereas SC was devloped bottom-up and therefore got lost in its own feature creep and miraculous vision, E:D was developed top-down and delivered a complete but kind of dull space sim and then consistently iterated on it with new content (for example, patch 1.4 which hits tomorrow adds a light fighter arena mode called CQC. This would be essentially the equivalent of Arena Commander except in this case delivered as an addon to a game that already exists rather than a barely working tech demo in lieu of an actual finished product)

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

3 posted:

:smith:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jst0rm posted:

It's not SC. It was also made properly.
Oh, and as mentioned, it's out.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Jst0rm posted:

I think they mostly want a game with multiplayer that is objectively balanced to where they will be the objective captain commanding their objectively great team of objective Redditors in their Galtian Javelin. They will issue strategic and tactical and objectively good orders in real time to their human crews finally get back at the Clan That Features Forums Posters From Somethingawful.com in revenge for making them cry in EVE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

she wants what she never gets, don't worry buddy you are not going to get squished today.

• Locked thread